Stans No Tubes Dart- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stans No Tubes Dart

Just watched a YouTube video about this new Gizmo. It looks really cool and affordable. It's a ready to use flat plug that fuses with the sealant in your tire which enhances the effectiveness of the plug.

https://youtu.be/-NoLJ_gaamk

https://www.notubes.com/DART

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I saw that a couple days ago. Awesome invention.

EAT MORE GRIME
    reacts with latex, so should work with most similar sealants not just stans
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    reacts with latex, so should work with most similar sealants not just stans
    I was wondering if it works with Orange Seal. I just bought a new big bottle. LOL
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    This is pretty cool, but sticky ropes from Walmart are like a buck...

Also note they are pushing speed of repair but the guy in their video pulls out a tiiiiny pump

Edit - one of the videos has a CO2, which... weren't we not supposed to use that with sealant?
    Edit edit: instructions say "refresh sealant and replace with air when you get home"

mtbr member
    Ordered some extra darts and tested them on a couple old tires. One with stans and the other with orange seal. The stans sealed fast and held. The orange seal sealed at first but opened up everytime you touched the dart and would not have held air when riding. Also punched a second hole in each and used a dynaplug megaplug to compare. The stans with the dart was the clear winner followed by a tie between the 2 sealants with dynaplugs and the orange seal with the dart was sadly last. I wanted to see if the sealants where reacting with the darts so I cut another in in half a dipped one in stans and the other in orange seal then rolled the feathers together. The stans bonded fast and was almost impossible to get the feathers back apart. The orange seal reacted but crumbled off and did not hold the feathers together. I've run orange seal and used dynaplugs for years but the stans with the dart was the clear winner and I'm switching.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by wvtrailbiker View Post
    Ordered some extra darts and tested them on a couple old tires. One with stans and the other with orange seal. The stans sealed fast and held. The orange seal sealed at first but opened up everytime you touched the dart and would not have held air when riding. Also punched a second hole in each and used a dynaplug megaplug to compare. The stans with the dart was the clear winner followed by a tie between the 2 sealants with dynaplugs and the orange seal with the dart was sadly last. I wanted to see if the sealants where reacting with the darts so I cut another in in half a dipped one in stans and the other in orange seal then rolled the feathers together. The stans bonded fast and was almost impossible to get the feathers back apart. The orange seal reacted but crumbled off and did not hold the feathers together. I've run orange seal and used dynaplugs for years but the stans with the dart was the clear winner and I'm switching.

Great report, thanks.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member

So if your not using Stan's, don't waste your money on Dart's?...........
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    So if your not using Stan's, don't waste your money on Dart's?...........
    Not sure about other sealents but if your using orange seal dont bother with darts... I honestly did not expect to see any difrence but figured I'd test it at home first to be safe. The chemical on the darts did react with orange seal but it just caused it to hardened and crumble off making it useless.

mtbr member
    =The stans with the dart was the clear winner followed by a tie between the 2 sealants with dynaplugs.
    First, thanks for actually doing the science and posting your comparison review. Awesome! (Minor constructive feedback: if you had posted pictures of the process you'd have a proper magazine-grade article here! Documentation slows you down, but makes your research much more approachable for others.)

I only recently had my first big, hard to seal puncture on trail. Figured it was time to do my tubeless repair homework the same week darts came out. My non-scientific thoughts were:
    - Dynaplugs = pro: easy, blingy, compact. con: expensive, heavy, have brass carbon rim killing tips.
    - Automotive-style sticky strings = pro: cheap. con: fussy, more stuff to carry.
    - Stans Darts = pro: actually built for bike tires, fast, easy to carry, super light, and the insertion tips are plastic. con: a bit pricey, brand-specific.

I bought the Stans Dart immediately based on specs alone, but your testing is super reassuring than I made the right call. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yep I agree I wish I would have taken pictures! Really didnt plan on testing that much just wanted to make sure it worked with the orange seal. When that failed I punched a second hole with the same screwdriver and tried the dynaplug. Then I noticed half a bottle of stans a friend left at my house l so I grabbed another old tire and tried it. The results where so different I had to see how it was reacting. After I did all that I figured I might as well post it since I've seen alot of people asking if it would work with orange seal. Figured I'd save some people from finding out on the trail.

mtbr member
    So just tried using my first Dart in 2/3 thread zone puncture, something just little bigger than what I would feel comfortable with sealant sealing.

Pushed the Dart into puncture, pulled back out and the plastic holding the cloth/plug strip broke off and fell into the tire !

Think I will be sticking with good old bacon strips. These are expensive, require sealant to work and don't think they are any better than bacon strips.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Worldwide Cyclery just a video comparing the Dart to bacon strips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEjMULjU3NM

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bought a used bike and the guy set it up tubelessly with Orange Seal. I've always used Stans latex on my gravel bike, but was going to switch to Orange Seal. Folks seem to think it's a longer-lasting latex.

But, wanted to pick up a Stans Dart, as they seem to get great reviews.

But, looks like the Dart and the Orange Seal latex aren't ideal. Shucks. Anyone have recommendations on the best plug to use with Orange Seal? Or maybe I should just stick with Stans latex.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Darts work just fine with Orange Sealant. Had to use a dart on my tire which has orange sealant and it sealed up quickly.

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Bought a used bike and the guy set it up tubelessly with Orange Seal. I've always used Stans latex on my gravel bike, but was going to switch to Orange Seal. Folks seem to think it's a longer-lasting latex.

But, wanted to pick up a Stans Dart, as they seem to get great reviews.

But, looks like the Dart and the Orange Seal latex aren't ideal. Shucks. Anyone have recommendations on the best plug to use with Orange Seal? Or maybe I should just stick with Stans latex.
    My current container of Stan's has been lasting the life of the tire. It's retaining its fluidity and no Stanimals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the replies and info! I'm new to the mtb world, as of a few weeks ago when I finally picked up a nice used bike. Phew, feeling overwhelmed by all that I don't know about the gear, the tires, the sealants...I've been an avid road and gravel rider for years, have that all sorted, but wow, feel like I'm drowning in the deep end trying to sort everything out! Oh well, just gotta enjoy it I suppose.

So...sealants seem to be like Bud vs. Coors...some love Stans, some hate it. Some love Orange Seal, some don't.

Been using Stans for years on my cx/gravel bike with no issues and no punctures that wouldn't seal. Never used a plug tool so far, but want to pick one up for my 2.4" tires.

mtbr member
    I've used both Stans and Orange quite a bit - my general impression is that Orange probably mounts up a bit easier and lasts a bit longer but Stans clogs your valve stems less is a bit easier to clean up - Darts should work with any latex sealant