Speeding ticket on St. Joes yesterday- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 86 of 86
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    463
    that stinks. As a biker, hiker, jogger and dog walker I would have to say that I have had significantly more "close calls" on the Gatos Creek trail than on any mid pen trail. I actually can't think of any one specific close call on a mid pen trail. Yet mid pen's enforcement is through the roof. I realize they are two different agencies/jurisdictions, just throwing it out there as a comparison.

  2. #2
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,564
    most of the rangers I have talked to were pretty cool. some of them riders too and most dont like writing tickets and dont agree with the board on the enforcement issue. be cool to them and fight the policy from the top while you continue to ride like normal.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,085

    Speeding ticket on St. Joes yesterday

    Clocked doing 22 mph at the top of St. Joes. Straight away fireroad, mid afternoon, no hikers in sight, total control. Nice of Midpen to remind me how much they suck.
    Last edited by squashyo; 06-08-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: title change

  4. #4
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    34,118
    For $400 realzzzzz?????

  5. #5
    Ebo
    Ebo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,730
    All the more reason to ride Overgrown or Priest Rock. St Joe's will always have this problem. Just the way it is.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Clocked doing 22 mph at the top of St. Joes. Straight away fireroad, mid afternoon, no hikers in sight, total control. Nice of Midpen to remind me how much they suck.
    was the ranger in a well hidden position? would it have been possible to see them in time? is it possible to just keep riding (j/k---sorta)? sorry about the major suckage...
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,085

    Around the bend

    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    was the ranger in a well hidden position? would it have been possible to see them in time? is it possible to just keep riding (j/k---sorta)? sorry about the major suckage...
    As you come off the top, there is a long straight away with the Bay Area on your right. He was located at the sharp left turn down the hill. Took me less than a second to slow to walking speed about 50-100 feet from him. Thought about going back up but thought about the drama I would have had to endure with a chase. (no chance going around)

    Anyhow, I ride there a lot as it's in my back yard and I am ultra safe with hikers as it is a populated system. It is just so lame that he insisted on ticketing me even though I was at a very safe speed during a non-populated time in a wide open spot. This is the same ranger that told me I was going 19 mph once and he'd let it slide. What a tool.

    Chalk it up as my yearly park fee.

  8. #8
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,564
    go to court and it will be reduced to $100. dont wait till the last day on the ticket and go early since they take people in order.

  9. #9
    BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Reputation: Pimpride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    602
    Wow, don't these guys have something better to do. What a waste. Was there an accident or major complaints that prompted it. Way too much crime out there to waste your time regulating mountain bikers. What a crock.


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    As you come off the top, there is a long straight away with the Bay Area on your right. He was located at the sharp left turn down the hill. Took me less than a second to slow to walking speed about 50-100 feet from him. Thought about going back up but thought about the drama I would have had to endure with a chase. (no chance going around)

    Anyhow, I ride there a lot as it's in my back yard and I am ultra safe with hikers as it is a populated system. It is just so lame that he insisted on ticketing me even though I was at a very safe speed during a non-populated time in a wide open spot. This is the same ranger that told me I was going 19 mph once and he'd let it slide. What a tool.

    Chalk it up as my yearly park fee.
    That's where they always hide....

  11. #11
    Weird huh?
    Reputation: cmdrpiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,283
    That's a bummer. I'm headed up there after work today. I'll give 'em discerning looks if they're still camped out with their RADARZ -

    side note fwiw - I had a short, friendly talk with one of the rangers earlier this spring up there. She told me that they regularly field complaints from walkers about the "bikes speeding down". Due to the popularity of that place, it's always going to be a crap shoot.

    Other's advice: go early, try to get it reduced. That's yer best bet. Otherwise, make a photocopy of the ticket, and frame it. When you're a 95year old geezer sittin' in a rocker you can point out the ticket on the wall to your great grandkids. Talkin' about all your mad speed skillz and such!

    El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

  12. #12
    Snowjnky McDreamy
    Reputation: snowjnky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    These rangers that work for midpen aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.
    But they are the biggest tools in the toolbox.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,085

    sorry but this guy was a ******

    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    most of the rangers I have talked to were pretty cool. some of them riders too and most dont like writing tickets and dont agree with the board on the enforcement issue. be cool to them and fight the policy from the top while you continue to ride like normal.
    I could see 22 MPH around a corner with hikers in view or an uncontrolled action being an issue but this guy was clearly trying to shine up his badge and bring in the quota. I said to him, "Did you not notice that I stopped on a dime up there and didn't skid in the process?" He said, "Yeah, that's a nice bike. In my opinion you were going too fast." True crime stopper!

    argh.

  14. #14
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Oh man, that's a bummer josh.

    As a side note for informational purposes, I was climbing up kennedy last sunday evening around 5pm and saw 2 rangers with 2 trucks about halfway up. I laughed at them while cruising by and notified the 2 riders coming down the hill that there were rangers down there. When coming back down, I saw 1 of the 2 riders getting a ticket while my buddies and I were crawling by at 2mph sitting down on our seats. I guess the dude didn't hear me or understand what I meant when I yelled RANGER! at him. The ranger had his radar gun pointed at me for about 30 seconds once I was in sight all the way until I was right next to him. He was waiting for me to just barely go over the limit, but that just wasn't going to happen. As I rolled by I told him "Don't shoot!" and he laughed.
    I figured you'd have blown by the guys and told them to try and catch you.

    And while we're at it....you just went back down Kennedy? What gives?
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  15. #15
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I could see 22 MPH around a corner with hikers in view or an uncontrolled action being an issue but this guy was clearly trying to shine up his badge and bring in the quota. I said to him, "Did you not notice that I stopped on a dime up there and didn't skid in the process?" He said, "Yeah, that's a nice bike. In my opinion you were going too fast." True crime stopper!

    argh.

    Ya, 7mph over on a fire road straight, off peak trail time...so lame.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  16. #16
    Save Jesus
    Reputation: beanbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Ya, 7mph over on a fire road straight, off peak trail time...so lame.
    That's 46% over the speed limit

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,313
    A couple of weekends ago (biking St. Joes on the weekend is already a problem in itself), I had the displeasure of riding behind some guy on a beater hardtail riding down Jones Trail who was cruising way too fast for all the hikers/walkers. He was under 15 mph (but over the 5 mph passing limit), which was causing the people he scared to give ME all the dirty looks.

    At one point, I even apologized on his behalf to a group of hikers that he blew by, too fast and too close.

    Chased him down at the bottom and caught him at the gate and yelled at him (I never yell at anyone) to slow down and he simply replied, "yeah, you're right" without a hint of contrition.

    I bike St. Joes a lot (especially when I don't have time for a real ride) and hike it occasionally with the family. All it's gonna take is one bad hiker/biker collision to close it down to bikes forever.

    It will be sad when that day comes, but not surprising.
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

    Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

    Mtbr YouTube Channel

  18. #18
    Let's ride
    Reputation: rensho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I figured you'd have blown by the guys and told them to try and catch you.

    And while we're at it....you just went back down Kennedy? What gives?
    It seemed like a made up story to me too.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    I know of people who have gotten tickets going uphill!

    What a load of crap MIDPEN is. Good thing they have beautiful lands, or no one would visit.
    If I can get a ticket going uphill faster than 15, at Kennedy for example, I will gladly take it. Prob. Don Myrah or Menso got the ticket right? hahaha...j/k

  20. #20
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    What I've never understood is there is a law requiring helmets in most places I ride but not speedometers and bikes aren't sold with them either. How are we supposed to know that we are 7 mph over the speed limit? Even the rangers wouldn't know without a radar gun.

    But really the bigger issue is Josh I would have been more impressed if you got clocked at 42, not 22

  21. #21
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    I ride there on average 1-2 times a week, there are at least 3 spots where they always hide, fairly predictable, except you wouldn't expect them in non-peak hours.

    Rode there yesterday PM, no rangers there, I think I saw a dozen bikers and maybe 5-6 hikers. Except for weekends I think there are more bikers than hikers.

    I never go there during the weekends, do overgrown instead.

    Sorry about the ticket, as others said get it reduced in court.

    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,085

    haha

    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal View Post
    What I've never understood is there is a law requiring helmets in most places I ride but not speedometers and bikes aren't sold with them either. How are we supposed to know that we are 7 mph over the speed limit? Even the rangers wouldn't know without a radar gun.

    But really the bigger issue is Josh I would have been more impressed if you got clocked at 42, not 22
    Know you're joking but I never pin it at St. Joes. (OT: Demo this weekend perhaps? Got to show you my handy work one of these days)

  23. #23
    Slowest Rider
    Reputation: BigLarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,185
    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal View Post
    What I've never understood is there is a law requiring helmets in most places I ride but not speedometers and bikes aren't sold with them either. How are we supposed to know that we are 7 mph over the speed limit? Even the rangers wouldn't know without a radar gun.
    The law only tells you the limit, not how you should determine the limit. That freedom is left up to you. You could get bike computers, GPS, or just judge from the whistle volume in your ears.

    If nothing else, as some have said, you know you're below the limit when you're not having fun.

    Anyway, you really don't want the government mandating how you measure your speed. That's up to you, as it should be.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 06-09-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

  24. #24
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    or just judge from the whistle volume in your ears.
    I'm usually yelling slogans like "PIN IT!" or "MAX OUT THE ENVELOPE TO THE EXTREME!" loud enough to myself that it covers the sound of the wind whistling in my ears.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,085

    I prefer

    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal View Post
    I'm usually yelling slogans like "PIN IT!" or "MAX OUT THE ENVELOPE TO THE EXTREME!" loud enough to myself that it covers the sound of the wind whistling in my ears.
    to yell at the top of my lungs, "I"M BLEEDING OUT! I"M BLEEDING OUT!" so hikers have sympathy for my high speed passes.

  26. #26
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,723
    Speedos are not required in a car either. There is one single dashboard instrument that is required by law in a car. Anyone know what it is?

  27. #27
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Speedos are not required in a car either. There is one single dashboard instrument that is required by law in a car. Anyone know what it is?
    Odometer?

  28. #28
    Silence! I kill you!
    Reputation: Jorgemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal View Post
    What I've never understood is there is a law requiring helmets in most places I ride but not speedometers and bikes aren't sold with them either. How are we supposed to know that we are 7 mph over the speed limit? Even the rangers wouldn't know without a radar gun.

    But really the bigger issue is Josh I would have been more impressed if you got clocked at 42, not 22
    If you're having fun, you're going too fast. Thanks how you know.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

  29. #29
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    34,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Speedos are not required in a car either. There is one single dashboard instrument that is required by law in a car. Anyone know what it is?
    Horn. Or Garmin 500

  30. #30
    Wēk Sôs
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Speedos are not required in a car either. There is one single dashboard instrument that is required by law in a car. Anyone know what it is?
    turn signals.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,085

    Something I learned about Speedos

    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Speedos are not required in a car either. There is one single dashboard instrument that is required by law in a car. Anyone know what it is?
    I learned this the hard way but if you are going to put a potato in your speedo to impress the girls, put the potato in the front. So embarrassing!

  32. #32
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,564
    high beam indicator

  33. #33
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Check Engine light.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  34. #34
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    You're totally right. It will be a super sad day if it comes. I think the rangers should just build a lot more water bars. Make them really really tall and close together. That way, most people will be slowed down to appropriate speeds because of the features, and at night when there's no one there, we'll have some sweet jumps to hit!
    Funny you should say that. When they keep sanitizing the trails, it encourages faster speeds! Make them super duper difficult and the unskilled people will have to ride slower, and the skilled people will be able to negotiate the other trail users safely anyway.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    803
    Sometimes I miss biking in the Bay area, until this story brings back the speed gun memories.

    Bummer to get a ticket, could have been me many a time.

    Maybe we need a "Fuzzbuster, radar detector" for Bikers.

  36. #36
    M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,366
    Do what I do—quit your job (or get laid off two years prior—LOL!!!) and just ride before 10:00AM on weekdays.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

  37. #37
    Puro Vida!
    Reputation: Nelson34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,303
    Where's overgrown?

  38. #38
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    They do make battery powered radar detectors.....just sayin

  39. #39
    bike buster
    Reputation: jdubsl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,192
    Bummer dude. I've seen a ranger in that same spot once before. I was jamming down to get some air off that little mound just before the left turn, but hit the brakes when I saw the ranger.

    I used Tom's line: "There's got to be a better job."

    Don't know if I'd stop. It's all downhill from there...

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,077

    turns out...

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    As a side note for informational purposes, I was climbing up kennedy last sunday evening around 5pm and saw 2 rangers with 2 trucks about halfway up. I laughed at them while cruising by and notified the 2 riders coming down the hill that there were rangers down there. When coming back down, I saw 1 of the 2 riders getting a ticket while my buddies and I were crawling by at 2mph sitting down on our seats. I guess the dude didn't hear me or understand what I meant when I yelled RANGER! at him.
    Turns out, I know the pair you were referring to. He wasn't sure what you were shouting about, thought it might be about your buddies. Something like 26 in a 15.

    Bummer
    -j

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,085
    Update: Went to court in Santa Clara. Judge dropped original $390 fine down to $110. HOWEVER, got hit with a $45 parking ticket for backing into a spot rather than parking nose first. There is a tiny note on the board outside that says you can't back in to parking spot (lame - total fine print).

    Here's what I learned.

    You don't need to go super early to Santa Clara as there really aren't very big lines. You can go 30 minutes early and still be like 3rd in line.

    First time you go, they basically set a court date so you have to go twice. Perhaps I could have arranged a court date without going in but I didn't make the effort to figure that out.

    Second time you go is the court date with a judge. It is done in alphabetical order so no need to go early (again).

    My judge was Steven Yep and he was super cool.

    And finally, Midpen still sucks...but at least the fine isn't way overblown ($400 is just wrong)

    Later
    Last edited by squashyo; 08-16-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: wording

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Update: Went to court in Santa Clara. Judge dropped original $390 fine down to $110. HOWEVER, got hit with a $45 parking ticket for backing into a spot rather than parking nose first. There is a tiny note on the board outside that says you can't back in to parking spot (lame - total fine print).

    Here's what I learned.

    You don't need to go super early to Santa Clara as there really aren't very big lines. You can go 30 minutes early and still be like 3rd in line.

    First time you go, they basically set a court date so you have to go twice. Perhaps I could have arranged a court date without going in but I didn't make the effort to figure that out.

    Second time you go is the court date with a judge. It is done in alphabetical order so no need to go early (again).
    '
    My judge was Steven Yep and he was super cool.

    And finally, Midpen still sucks...but at least the fine isn't way overblown ($400 is just wrong)

    Later
    man, that sucks, at least you got the fine decreased.

    if i ever get stopped, my name is going to be "juan bautista salvador allende" and i'll slowly ride away while feigning ignorance of the english language, ha ha.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    if i ever get stopped, my name is going to be "juan bautista salvador allende" and i'll slowly ride away while feigning ignorance of the english language, ha ha.
    You know, I always wondered about that... if I don't carry ID with me when I bike how to they know you're not making some name up? Will they detain you til you get proper identification?

  44. #44
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,633
    Quote Originally Posted by yungster View Post
    ...Will they detain you til you get proper identification?
    if they don't believe, yes you will be detained - if they feel like it.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  45. #45
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    34,118
    Thank you for the intel Squashyo. It is worth showing up to court just to know that Midpen is not getting the full money.

    Whenever you see a ranger setting up a speedtrap on trails, you need to say this:

    "Do you know you're giving cyclists $400 tickets?"
    "NO?? Well now you do."

    or just go uphill aways of the ranger and say:
    "I'm just going to stay here and warn all riders that you're giving $400 tickets. So you might as well go home."

    fc

  46. #46
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    34,118
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Haha, I tried that on kennedy once and they told me they would arrest me for obstructing a peace officer. So I went up a little further out of view and setup shop. I'm not sure if they were right when they said they could arrest me, but I wasn't about to find out the hard way.
    Good work.

    It would actually be helpful to our cause if there was a big incident and they harmed a cyclist or put one to jail for going over 15 mph. Then we catch the whole thing on GoPro video. Then it becomes an international incident and all the whole world would know about the travesty fines that Midpen is imposing.

    fc

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by yungster View Post
    You know, I always wondered about that... if I don't carry ID with me when I bike how to they know you're not making some name up? Will they detain you til you get proper identification?
    They'll radio in to confirm your identity.

    MidPen rangers are peace officers; I would begrudgingly treat them as you would a cop. I wouldn't ignore a cop if one told me to pull over, although playing coy could work as no reasonable person would expect to have a radar gun pointed at them and get a fuc*ing speeding ticket while riding a bike on dirt. Unfortunately, their authority is unlike Paul Blart's.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hairylegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    536
    I've often thought about what I'd do if I got a speeding ticket on my bicycle. Part of me feels like not paying so I could tell people that I'm a wanted man for riding my bike too fast.

    Cool as that sounds, it probably isn't worth having a warrant out for my arrest. But YOU should totally do it.

  49. #49
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    34,118
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
    I've often thought about what I'd do if I got a speeding ticket on my bicycle. Part of me feels like not paying so I could tell people that I'm a wanted man for riding my bike too fast.

    Cool as that sounds, it probably isn't worth having a warrant out for my arrest. But YOU should totally do it.
    Breakin the law... breakin the law.

    I'm a believer in the mantra:
    "if you do the crime, you should do the time."

    But if they charge you $400 for going 18 mph on a bike, they need to go to jail

    fc

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Haha, I tried that on kennedy once and they told me they would arrest me for obstructing a peace officer. So I went up a little further out of view and setup shop. I'm not sure if they were right when they said they could arrest me, but I wasn't about to find out the hard way.
    I don't believe this meets the ellements of p.c. 148. One could articulate you were simply doing a public service by advising people there is a speed limit, and currently rangers ticketing for said offense.

    Do they really have a posted speed limit, or are they citing cvc 22350 w/o posted limits?
    Last edited by yzfrider; 08-16-2011 at 03:55 PM.

  51. #51
    We need more wax
    Reputation: justbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by yungster View Post
    You know, I always wondered about that... if I don't carry ID with me when I bike how to they know you're not making some name up? Will they detain you til you get proper identification?
    They will ask you for your DL or SS number, and call it in. They will confirm that you are who you say you are. Don't give false info as that will cause you more trouble. A group of 4 I know got busted for unsanctioned trail riding. It took 45 minutes for the ranger to call everything in.

    Oh, Midpen sucks big time
    "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    They will ask you for your DL or SS number, and call it in. They will confirm that you are who you say you are. Don't give false info as that will cause you more trouble. A group of 4 I know got busted for unsanctioned trail riding. It took 45 minutes for the ranger to call everything in.

    Oh, Midpen sucks big time
    but two questions:
    -you could legitimately not remember either DL or SSN number--i dont know my DL, and if i hadn't taken so many educational loans, i probably wouldn't remember my SSN either--so then what?
    -is it possible to just slowly ride away while ignoring the rangers? do they chase you down and tackle you if you refuse to stop?

    since they are "peace officers", i might start carrying a box of krispy kreme w/ me if i'm riding in the peninsula, heh heh
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

  53. #53
    Slowest Rider
    Reputation: BigLarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,185
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    but two questions:
    -you could legitimately not remember either DL or SSN number--i dont know my DL, and if i hadn't taken so many educational loans, i probably wouldn't remember my SSN either--so then what?
    -is it possible to just slowly ride away while ignoring the rangers? do they chase you down and tackle you if you refuse to stop?

    since they are "peace officers", i might start carrying a box of krispy kreme w/ me if i'm riding in the peninsula, heh heh
    They can look you up from name and address. (Like everyone else, police have computers too.)

    They can detain you if your identity is uncertain. Those same computers have a description of you (height, weight, hair color, eye color, etc..). Coming up with false name, or one of your hated enemies, usually won't work.

    Those who try to ride away from authority usually end up seriously regretting that choice.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's posted on the signs near the entrances. To put it in perspective, I was in court one time for riding _____, and there was a guy in there that got cited for not having a helmet on while riding in St. Joe's. The fine with fees attached was $150, but the sign at the bottom said that helmets were required and the judge made him pay up.
    For the record, I don't think a speed limit is such a bad thing on a trail that is heavily traveled by peds. I don't really care to debate the amount of the fine.

    I can understand the helmet law being inforced on the entire trail, as it states on the entrance of the park. Are they ticketing the speed law everywhere/only near posted speeds, or does the entire park have a speed law? Sounds like a revenue generator w/ some potential flaws. I haven't ridden that trail in several
    years.

  55. #55
    Ebo
    Ebo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,730
    As I mentioned 2 months back, all the more reason to ride Limekiln and or Priest Rock. No radar, no posers.

  56. #56
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    where do they hide at skeggs?

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby View Post
    where do they hide at skeggs?
    Pick any downhill section where it's difficult to go slower than 15MPH with brakes fully locked. That's where they hide.

    Usually near the bottom or middle of any of the long fireroads: Virginia Mill, Gordon Mill, Fir, El Corte de Madera, to name a few. This information, however, is moot.

    What helps is when fellow mountain bikers warn their peers about rangers downstream. But apparently this is against the law, as mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

  58. #58
    (Ali)
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Those who try to ride away from authority usually end up seriously regretting that choice.
    Sadly, it may be a smart thing to try to avoid being murdered by them. :-/

    Ali

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    235
    Last year, I saw a young woman Mid Pen ranger with a radar gun walking up Overgrown. I was coming down and saw her far enough away on one of the longer straights to slow down. My comment "WTF?".
    She didn't look too happy about her job. All the same, they are hiding everywhere just sucking away.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by pisiket View Post
    Sadly, it may be a smart thing to try to avoid being murdered by them. :-/

    Ali
    Speaking of which, do MidPen rangers pack heat?

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,085
    I almost forgot that about 3 months ago a Midpun ranger stopped me as I was climbing St. Joes and said, "next time I see you with headphones on, you're getting a ticket." I politely said, "Gosh, I sure do appreciate your leniency Officer Jack-off McFukberger."

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    She wasn't in her truck? Was it on a weekday or weekend? I need all the data I can get so I can update my ranger tracking database. I applaud her for at least walking and not having a death vehicle blocking the trail. Was there another ranger truck lower down that she was radio'ing to? If not, there's no way she'd catch you if you ignored her and threw a 40mph wheelie right by her.
    Tracking rangers is illegal.

  63. #63
    ask
    ask is offline
    user
    Reputation: ask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I almost forgot that about 3 months ago a Midpun ranger stopped me as I was climbing St. Joes and said, "next time I see you with headphones on, you're getting a ticket." I politely said, "Gosh, I sure do appreciate your leniency Officer Jack-off McFukberger."
    I got that lecture at the bottom of Kennedy about 6 months ago from a female ranger. She was cool-ish about it and seemed to know that it was lame that she was talking to me about headphones. However, it was still annoying to be warned about wearing headphones on an early morning fire road climb. I don't think I saw anyone that morning else after seeing the ranger.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    She wasn't in her truck? Was it on a weekday or weekend? I need all the data I can get so I can update my ranger tracking database. I applaud her for at least walking and not having a death vehicle blocking the trail. Was there another ranger truck lower down that she was radio'ing to? If not, there's no way she'd catch you if you ignored her and threw a 40mph wheelie right by her.
    This was on Overgrown. I doubt they could get a truck up there very far and she was about half way up the trail. I am not sure about the day of the week, but it was most likely a weekend. Her truck was at the bottom. You're right about blowing through, but there is no way to know if there actually is someone at the bottom with a radio.

    Mid Pen sure did a number on this trail when they took it over. It was always so fun to see what the trail looked like each year after the rains, mud slide, and overgrowth. It was my first ever night ride. We had a running Friday night group that would do Overgrown, Power Poles, and sometimes Dog Meat. Moodies (RIP) was the thrill of the return trip back down the hill. (They even messed with the names.)

    Then came the night-ride tickets, which also carried the most expensive penalty of any in the district. Suck, suck, suck, they do.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I almost forgot that about 3 months ago a Midpun ranger stopped me as I was climbing St. Joes and said, "next time I see you with headphones on, you're getting a ticket." I politely said, "Gosh, I sure do appreciate your leniency Officer Jack-off McFukberger."
    LOL. if i had this rep thing figured out, i'd max you out.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

  66. #66
    Vogan poet
    Reputation: biopacebob1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    27

    I thought you meant the swimsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Speedos are not required in a car either. There is one single dashboard instrument that is required by law in a car. Anyone know what it is?
    bottle opener ?!!! or ? , no it's a potato ! fer shure

  67. #67
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    I'm still waiting to know what is the one dash board instrument required by law.

  68. #68
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,633
    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal View Post
    I'm still waiting to know what is the one dash board instrument required by law.
    i'm gonna guess odometer....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    111
    Heads up on Overgrown. Seems as if their newest trick is to drive alongside the trail on Limekiln Canyon Road, which is private by the way, matching riders' speeds.
    About half a mile from the bottom, when you get to that big hump, there's a stretch of the trail that's very visible from the quarry road.
    It's always best to approach that hump at minimal speed since it's a major blind spot, and then going down it can produce some unintended momentum and speed, which is what can be matched in their vehicle on the quarry road.
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Are you effing serious? We should start videotaping midpen's sppedtrap antics and broadcast that crap on Youtube. If we can get a million hits maybe they won't like the bad press and things might change?
    I'm quite certain it was Midpen. White Jeep Liberty (or something similar) with their big badge logo on the door. I can't imagine any other reason they would be on the quarry's private road, not to mention driving parallel to me and matching my speed exactly.
    Needless to say, I got some major climbing in that day. I felt like Fantastic Mr. Fox, except the only way to evade Farmer Bean was to go up instead of down.
    Climbed back up Overgrown and then considered the possibility of someone at the bottom of Priest Rock, not to mention having to pass the bottom of Overgrown to get back to LG. I climbed back up Limekiln to the very tip-top of Kennedy Trail where it meets Limekiln (for a second time of the day). I thought about going down Kennedy, but also considered the possibility of someone waiting on Kennedy after being radioed by Overgrown's ranger. Continued on Woods Road Trail instead, crossed over Hicks and into Quicksilver only because I knew Mockingbird Hill's parking lot has water.
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Wizard View Post
    White Jeep Liberty (or something similar)
    Probably quarry security. I've never seen MidPen in anything other than those huge Ford F10,000s.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pmarshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Wizard View Post
    I'm quite certain it was Midpen. White Jeep Liberty (or something similar) with their big badge logo on the door. I can't imagine any other reason they would be on the quarry's private road, not to mention driving parallel to me and matching my speed exactly.
    Needless to say, I got some major climbing in that day. I felt like Fantastic Mr. Fox, except the only way to evade Farmer Bean was to go up instead of down.
    Climbed back up Overgrown and then considered the possibility of someone at the bottom of Priest Rock, not to mention having to pass the bottom of Overgrown to get back to LG. I climbed back up Limekiln to the very tip-top of Kennedy Trail where it meets Limekiln (for a second time of the day). I thought about going down Kennedy, but also considered the possibility of someone waiting on Kennedy after being radioed by Overgrown's ranger. Continued on Woods Road Trail instead, crossed over Hicks and into Quicksilver only because I knew Mockingbird Hill's parking lot has water.
    If you really think about it, how much are they going to do to get a mere speeder? Just saying that if I worked for the Sheriff's Office or Los Gatos PD and I got a call to help out the midpen rangers tag a speeding biker, I might chuckle to myself and then continue to drink my coffee. They can drive on private property if they have permission but I can also tell you that it was not mid pen rangers. Look at the positives though, you got quite a workout!
    They never made the "Slowster"

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    If you really think about it, how much are they going to do to get a mere speeder? Just saying that if I worked for the Sheriff's Office or Los Gatos PD and I got a call to help out the midpen rangers tag a speeding biker, I might chuckle to myself and then continue to drink my coffee. They can drive on private property if they have permission but I can also tell you that it was not mid pen rangers. Look at the positives though, you got quite a workout!
    Both of you are probably right. When I saw the white vehicle with what appeared to be a big 7-pointed star emblem on the side, I didn't think quarry security, I immediately thought midpen.
    It was a great workout... just wish I had more water and food. I've thought about doing multiple laps of Limekiln before, but that would be in the winter when it's cooler.
    Speaking of heat.... I can't wait until rattlesnake season is over. I saw one on Woods and one on Virl O Norton during that ride. The previous time I was on Woods, I narrowly missed one as I approached the parking lot at Hicks (Quicksilver side).
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,885
    dang, I had never heard of this before. I was thinking of visiting the area somewhat soon and I would hate to get nailed with a ticket for this sort of thing. This is just silly. It seems like they park their trucks in the middle to prove that if you're going too fast you could cause an accident.

    The elitists who set this up are ridiculous.

  75. #75
    Let's ride
    Reputation: rensho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    Probably quarry security. I've never seen MidPen in anything other than those huge Ford F10,000s.
    I've seen Midpen on St. Joes in some type of Jeep Liberty/Cherokee/?? or Dakota. It was 2-3 years ago. Typically, it is the F10000.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Wizard View Post
    7-pointed star emblem on the side, I didn't think quarry security, I immediately thought midpen
    All their vehicles sport these:


    Needless to say, I'm curious—time for some recon. I'll be sure to get photos. They might look like this one (Area 51 security):

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    18
    There was a lady Ranger using Radar at this same location on St Josephs where Range trail meets Novitiate trail. It's very difficult to see them there and it's quite a downhill, luckily a biker going the other way at the top was warning people.

    Map www openspace.org/preserves/maps/pr_st_josephs.pdf

Similar Threads

  1. Speeding ticket while bicycling?
    By Whirlwind Holocron in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
  2. 68 mph speeding ticket .
    By Phillbo in forum Arizona
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
  3. OT: how can i get out of this speeding ticket?
    By mothahucker in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 09:01 PM
  4. speeding ticket (OT)
    By Shwaa in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
  5. I got a ticket for speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By Beau in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 01:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.