SPAM (Wanted): Anyone has a Shimano 7 speed shifter/brake?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SPAM (Wanted): Anyone has a Shimano 7 speed shifter/brake?

Just wondering if anyone has a Shimano 7 speed shifter/brake that you don't need anymore.

I am trying to fix up a friend's old Diamond Back hardtail. I have been able to use up most of my spare parts bin to fix most of it, but his right shifter/brake is totally shot and his left is partly working. If you have one, please PM me. Thanks.

Master of '80s BMX tricks

too late!

I just dumped a set at the Trips for kids/Recyclery in San Rafael.
    I would have given them away free but now you'll have to pay for them. at least yoru money will go to a good cause
    Sorry

mtbr member
    Hey no problem. Hoping I can find someone in the south bay area who might have one. It's tough for me to head up to San Rafael during the work days.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    sungchang, if you send me a self addressed bubblewrap lined manilla envelope with postage i'll give you a set of rapid fire shifters/brake levers and a front/rear derailers with cables. i'll even give you a set of brakes and cassette if i can fit it in. let me know and i'll give you my address.

" i'm not a man to be toyed with"- joel cairo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55
    sungchang, if you send me a self addressed bubblewrap lined manilla envelope with postage i'll give you a set of rapid fire shifters/brake levers and a front/rear derailers with cables. i'll even give you a set of brakes and cassette if i can fit it in. let me know and i'll give you my address.
    That's great. You got PM!

Ready to roll!
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang
    Just wondering if anyone has a Shimano 7 speed shifter/brake that you don't need anymore.

I am trying to fix up a friend's old Diamond Back hardtail. I have been able to use up most of my spare parts bin to fix most of it, but his right shifter/brake is totally shot and his left is partly working. If you have one, please PM me. Thanks.

You can replace you're 7 speed shifters with 8 speed shifters. They are compatable. Ive done this, it's a great sollution. All you need to do is mask off one of the gears using the low stop adjuster on your rear derailleur. There will be no slack since the stop adjuster won't allow the shifter to pull into the 8th gear. It works perfectly and may allow you to upgrade to v-brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_ride
    You can replace you're 7 speed shifters with 8 speed shifters. They are compatable. Ive done this, it's a great sollution. All you need to do is mask off one of the gears using the low stop adjuster on your rear derailleur. There will be no slack since the stop adjuster won't allow the shifter to pull into the 8th gear. It works perfectly and may allow you to upgrade to v-brakes.
    Somebody suggested this as well, but my first choice is to just get a 7 speed shifter. Graciously norton55 offered one, so I am working with him. I have been already able to convert the cantilever brakes to v-brakes. Just the shifter and I can start dragging my friend to ride with me.

Ready to roll!
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang
    ust the shifter and I can start dragging my friend to ride with me.
    Sounds like a good project. I have an old steel framed Trek 950 Singletrack for just that purpose. It's nice to have a spare bike sitting around for someone to ride, or to use as a beater on a muddy trail. Hope it goes well.

Members who have read this thread: 0