South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Good job! South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!

In cooperation with the USFS, BONC is targeting an early October deadline for a grant to build the South Yuba Ridge Trail. We need your help to make this happen. The USFS has asked us to round up as many volunteers as possible to help clear the trail corridor of brush so that final trail flagging can occur. Please consider joining us for one of the following dates:

Sunday, August 29, 8AM - Meet at the USFS office in Nevada City
    Sunday, September 12, 8AM - Meet at the USFS office in Nevada City

If we can meet this deadline and our grant application is successful, trail construction could begin next year! Please let us know if you plan to join us:

http://tinyurl.com/southyubaridge

ABOUT THIS TRAIL
    The trail will start off Bowman Lake Road near Grouse Ridge and extend down to just east the town of Washington. When it is done, you will be able to ride between Grouse Ridge and Purdon Xing on ~30 miles of singletrack above and near the South Yuba River.
    Last edited by Bike Daddy; 08-19-2010 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sounds incredible, wish I lived closer and could commit.

What is the estimated time for this trail to be completed?
    What grant are you applying for and what is it going toward in the project?

If you dont mind me asking

mtbr member
    Booked for both those weekends, but this trail is going to make for some super amazing epic rides, looking forward to it's completion! and thanks for your hard work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If all goes well, trail construction would begin and finish next year. We'll probably target an RTP grant, which will fund professional construction of the trail.

I have a Google Earth track of the route around here somewhere. Will post it soon.

mtbr member
    The NEPA/CEQA is complete on this trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ^^^Yeah they concluded this trails Policy would be a Quality wilderness experience

I'm outta the country both those weekends but would make time for trail building once it begins assuming there is a volunteer portion. Is that a grant where you have to match grant dollars w/ volunteer hours or are you hoping to build the whole trail w/ pro labor?
    Last edited by madturtle; 08-20-2010 at 05:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The only volunteer option is to clear the trail corridor on these two dates. The beauty of it is that the rest of it will be professionally built with grant money BUT we have to clear the corridor first.

NEPA is taken care of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Great to hear the NEPA work is complete on this. What a great addition this will make to the Yuba River Trail ride!

To bad the trail work conflicts with the Sierra Buttes Trails Stewardships Fall Mountain Epic.

http://www.sierratrails.org/events/f...untain_epic_15

Choices choices....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Map of project

Here is a map of the project.

You can also see a PDF of this map here:

http://bonc.org/images/south_yuba_ridge.pdf

Hope you can join us this weekend or 9/12:

http://www.tinyurl.com/southyubaridge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-south_yuba_ridge.jpg  

mtbr member

Been there on an adventure race once - about 7 years ago? I think we started from Bloomfield/Malakoff, went along the river, climbed Doolittle, and ended up near Spaulding lake for the transition to run leg. Nice area - but I remember the ridge portion being quite rough, and then it was still some snow on creek crossings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Possibilities

The route I am dreaming about is a two day shuttle affair: Meadow Lake > Beyers > Grouse Ridge Trail > Spaulding > South Yuba Ridge > spend night in Washington > South Yuba > Round Mountain > Nevada City. My guesstimate is that thus would be a ~60 miler, maybe more.

Another nice loop would be to start in Washington > South Yuba Ridge > Rucker Lake > Pioneer > Washington.

Or some epic that started and finished in Washington and hit the Grouse Ridge Trail network.

So you can see why I am stoked about this new trail :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Memine,

You are the first person I have ever heard say that they'd like to spend the night in Washington. My experiences there have been to get out of town as quickly as possible and back to the safety of the trails. Remember that Ronski?

Good luck with that one.

i do share your excitement of the new trail/loop possibilities.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ha! I do hear "Deliverance" banjoes picking when I ride through the fine town of Washington! Sound like you have a story to share?

I am sorta intrigued by this place though:

http://www.washingtonhotel.net/

mtbr member
    You'll be sorreeeee!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Could be a nice community service sentence for Mike V!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    C'mon... I want stories! Another option would to be pitch a tent at Camp 19, though part of me want to stay in Washington so as to gain inspiration for short stories should I ever become a writer (JK).

It is funny the hostility I have encountered in Washington over the years. Some residents *really* don't like outsiders, particularly if they are riding $4K bikes. Even the dogs lying in the middle of Washington Road seem cranky.

mtbr member
    Vernonator,

Yes I remember! The ride from Grouse Ridge area is a lot of fun though. The Meadow>Beyers is also fun so a long ride is a real possibility. I'll skip spending the evening in Washington, although everyone there was always friendly, especially Elly May.

One thing I don't understand, the map indicates a lot of "surveying" needed. If the NEPA is complete, the surveying must already be complete. You can't complete a NEPA without surveying being completed. RTP will also require a CEQA cert, and the map had better correct the typos for a very competitive RTP application.

Can someone provide a link to the NEPA doc and tell me who the applicant for RTP is?

In any case this trail is a fabulous idea if the alignment and construction is solid.

ronski

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Bunch of yuppies!
    Washington is fine. Stopped in the old bar with my family a few years ago and had a beer. The people in there were super nice.
    If people don't have all of their teeth you people sure are judgmental!

Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Nepa

This grant application is unique in that much of it was originally prepared by the USFS. In fact, the USFS applied for a RTP grant for this project years ago but was turned down. Not surprising, as the RTP isn't too key on giving grants to federal agencies. BONC hopes to have success with an amended application as 501c3. Essentially, BONC is resubmitting the application with some important changes.

The USFS is taking care of the NEPA requirements of it (note my comment earlier). This map is likely out of date. Your comment about the typos is duly noted; I'll request that I review all the docs before submission (I am a writer by trade).
    Last edited by Bike Daddy; 08-25-2010 at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Good luck with grant. This is a GREAT project. You are probably already on this, but be sure to get your Site Control agreement in place with USFS and make sure the CEQA was also completed.

You're probably already on top of this so apologies if I'm bringing up old news to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thank you Ronski. Sounds like you have experience with these things, so I welcome your input. All I care about is getting this right and getting the trail built. It has been a LONG process.

I am curious, what is your background?

mtbr member
    I ride SYT every year. Years ago I dropped from Grouse Ridge to Washington and then finished on the SYT with Vernonator and Willie (then of Coyote Adventures fame) as well as a few others. There was a an old singletrack alignment that was rustic but fun. Long time fan of Grouse Ridge riding as well.

I've worked extensively with the RTP/Prop 40/RAC grant folks and others on a number of trail grants and projects, in addition to writing a number of Fire Department grants. The Fire grants were solo efforts and the trail grants were typically a collaborative effort. Many of the trail grants were successful only because of the magnificent support of volunteers (like Fairfaxian and Vernonator among many others) who worked on the trails and matched the grant dollars with "in-kind" donations of labor.

Grant or no grant I'll come out and help with what I think is fabulous Yuba Ridge Project. I'm heading up the Mills Peak Trail construction project in Plumas National Forest and have an event the day of your work party, but count me in for future support.

Your Yuba Ridge Project will be a great addition to the Grouse Ridge/SYT area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    BONC is in need of a truck to transport a quad to Saturday's event. If you can join us or perhaps let us borrow your rig, that would be super helpful.

Thanks for your support. Here are some pictures from and near the trail:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-south_yuba_ridge1.jpg  

South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-south_yuba_ridge2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A few more pictures & a nice 3D Google visual in this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=572769.

Weather looks perfect for trailwork, especially if it actually does rain a little!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Smile Great day out there!

x-post to http://gctrails.blogspot.com/

Eleven of us made the trek up beyond Washington to work on the South Yuba Ridge Trail yesterday. With three hedgetrimmers, a quad, a chainsaw and many loppers, we cleared brush and downed trees off the newer trailbed that the USFS built some seven years ago. As this section has remained unused, it needed a serious effort to clear. Regardless, we worked our way much further up the trail than we expected. There were cold beers waiting for us at the end of the day. See pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/velojohn...idgeTrailwork#

This trail provides an important connection between the South Yuba Trail and the Grouse Ridge Trail system. It will be a spectacular descent from Camp 19 (Bowman Lake Road) down to Washington. Thank you to our outstanding volunteers yesterday, including Robert Joynt, who was kind enough to bring his quad which we used to transport tools yesterday.

Next up - We have a small section remaining of the newer section to clear and then the flagging can begin on top of the ridge. Joe Chavez estimates that this will require about 2 more days of volunteering. Please consider joining us on September 12 @ 8AM at the USFS station in Nevada City for our next volunteer trail day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-img_4820.jpg  

South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-img_4811.jpg  

South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-img_4810.jpg  

Last edited by Bike Daddy; 09-03-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Spin-stabilized
    SYT to Grouse area would be one super rugged epic. I like this. As always, thanks to all of you Gold Country folks for building and maintaining great trails in the sierras.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Volunteer Opportunity - 9/12

On Sunday, 9/12, we will volunteer again on the South Yuba Ridge Trail. Please join us.

We will focus on brushing work with three power hedgetrimmers and some loppers. This will allow the Tahoe National Forest to re-establish a trail route which is necessary for our grant application to fund professional trail construction.

It is beautiful on this ridge and BONC will provide quality beer after the work. Please join us by signing up:

Sunday, September 12, 8AM - Meet at the USFS office in Nevada City:

http://goo.gl/maps/02zh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-img_4815.jpg  

Last edited by Bike Daddy; 09-03-2010 at 05:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ranger IPA

Sunday's volunteer trail day will feature this tasty treat. Join us:

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Another stellar effort

x-post to gctrails.blogspot.com

BONC has truly incredible volunteers.

Yesterday, nine of us made the trek to work on the South Yuba Ridge Trail. We finished clearing the bottom section of the existing trail, then went to re-establish the trail route that was obscured by years of growth. The terrain was challenging, the manzanita and deer brush was intensely think at times, but we persisted and prevailed.

This trail has the potential to be amazing. The ingredients are certainly there: gorgeous scenery, good terrain and connectivity. BONC will try to work with the USFS to emphasize desirable trail characteristics, such as wide radius bermed turns, grade changes and more.

Some pictures of our day in the field:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/velojohn...September2010#

Success so far:
    ~2.5 miles of completely brushed trail, previously overgrown
    ~1+ miles of re-flagged trail, partially brushed
    ~1/4 mile of new trail flagging

What remains:
    ~3/4 mile of flagging and brushing
    ~2 miles of minimal brushing and surveying

Want to support our efforts? Make a donation to BONC or become a member today:
    http://www.bonc.org/#content
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-img_4852.jpg  

South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-img_4848.jpg  

South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-img_4869.jpg  

South Yuba Ridge Trail - Help Us Make It Happen!-img_4856.jpg  

Last edited by Bike Daddy; 09-13-2010 at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That trail is going to be like the next Downieville only better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anybody know the status of this project? The last time I dropped in from bowman lakes rd you had to descend Doolittle trail because the ridge became impassable once you got to the burn. Drove up to Camp 19 the other day which was clear so im thinking about going for the plunge into Washington via. a loop out of Bear Valley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Things are held up by the Forest Service. They need to establish a trail easement with a landowner and frankly, the USFS is dragging its feet on this one. Frustrating because a lot of people have put a lot of hours into this project over the years.

It could be useful to write a letter to the Tahoe National Forest staff and be a squeaky wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    Memine,

You are the first person I have ever heard say that they'd like to spend the night in Washington. My experiences there have been to get out of town as quickly as possible and back to the safety of the trails. Remember that Ronski?

Good luck with that one.

i do share your excitement of the new trail/loop possibilities.
    Laughing! You know they invented the tooth brush in Washington.... Otherwise it would have been called a teeth brush!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Trail Report

Today a buddy and I Parked in Bear Valley and hit the little section of Pioneer over to the S.Yuba crossing. At that point we headed up Bowman Lakes Rd. to the 18-14 road a mile or so past Camp 19 and down to the Ridge Trail. The entrance to the trail is non existent due to some logging it seems at the edge of the burn. After some poking around we bush whacked down to the trail as I was certain it was right below us. Pretty quickly there was a nasty blown down section with some big widow makers that are going to take some work to clear out. At this point I was wondering if made I bad call... After negotiating the blow down the trail became surprisingly decent with plenty of leaves and debris of course. At the turn off of Doolittle we rolled on bit but found there was tree after tree down. We decided to double back and hit Doolittle down which was was a sweet as I had remembered with only one tree down at the bottom which could easily be handled with a pack saw. After descending Doolittle we cruised on into Washington and refueled at the store. After we quick break we headed up Washington rd. and left on the Pioneer back to Bear Valley. Super sick ride and hoping to head back with my rake and clean up the section we rode. Go get some if your up for some a sick back country adventure!

[url=http://app.strava.com/activities/46409016]

Name:  photo (3).JPG
Views: 196
Size:  50.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Here is a sample letter. Please feel free to edit it, but send it to keep the pressure on!:

District Ranger Genice Froehlich
    Tahoe National Forest
    Forest Headquarters
    631 Coyote Street
    Nevada City, CA 95959

Dear Genice,

I support creation of the South Yuba Ridge Trail east of Nevada City, CA. This project remains an important priority for local recreationists.

I urge the Tahoe National Forest to acquire neccesary easements to make the trail a reality. Volunteers have already donated hundreds of hours into this project. We will continue supporting the Tahoe National Forest with this endeavor as necessary.

Truly,

YOUR NAME

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    Laughing! You know they invented the tooth brush in Washington.... Otherwise it would have been called a teeth brush!
    That's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Members who have read this thread: 1