South Yuba / Pioneer trail loop beta?- Mtbr.com
    President of the Internet

South Yuba / Pioneer trail loop beta?

I know people have made a loop by linking the South Yuba trail with Pioneer trail. I was trying to get an idea of the mileage, etc. Anyone got a Strava link?

I'm sure it's an ass kicker.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    We used to loop the south Yuba through malakoff diggings starting at the trailhead by Washington but eventually just did the south yuba as an out an back avoiding any roads. That was like 20 years ago so things could have changed. But that is a huge drainage with big vertical.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Never looped it, but have done it as a point to point:

Lake Spaulding > Pioneer > Omega Drop >Alfa Road > Washington > South Yuba Trail > South Yuba Trailhead Parking

That's 25 miles on the South Yuba alone, if I recall correctly
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    You can build a route using Trailforks. I haven't ridden past the intersection with Missouri Bar Tr. in years and word is the trail is getting lost to overgrowth past it. The e-bikers have started using it, though, and maybe some motos so it's possible it might be passable or improved. It is indeed a butt kicker. Big Brothers Big Sisters used to use a loop like you're wanting to do for its endurance ride fund raiser.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    I know people have made a loop by linking the South Yuba trail with Pioneer trail. I was trying to get an idea of the mileage, etc. Anyone got a Strava link?

I'm sure it's an ass kicker.
    I'm sure BigBoulder(Steve), Merlin(Rick) or Broncstad(Marcus) can set you up with some stats. Hopefully they'll chime in. 👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Widgeontrail - The loop can be done both counterclockwise (up Pioneer, down South Yuba) and clockwise. I prefer clockwise (see Strava link) as it's then a mullet ride - business up front, party in the back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1332316367

To echo redhawk's words, the last few times I rode South Yuba it was falling into disrepair east of Missouri Bar and has become increasingly difficult to ride due to overgrowth, downed trees and washouts. For those reasons I stopped doing this ride a couple years ago but it's always been one of my favorites, especially in the winter. Hopefully it's seen some loving and will make a comeback.

Let me know if you want more beta on the ride. There are a handful of ways to do it.

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.