South Lake Tahoe - New single track- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

South Lake Tahoe - New single track

Here's a chance to volunteer to build some new single track sections which will provide new loops off the corral trail.

Saturday June 3rd
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/ltbmu/volunt...-day-flyer.pdf

Once the corral loop is done, the FS will close the lower section of Toads to motorized traffic. Also hopefully later in the year work will begin to build another new section of single track to connect corral with the armstrong pass trail, bypassing the road with a legal trail.

Caca pasa

Oh, man.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Here's a chance to volunteer to build some new single track sections which will provide new loops off the corral trail.

Saturday June 3rd
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/ltbmu/volunt...-day-flyer.pdf

Once the corral loop is done, the FS will close the lower section of Toads to motorized traffic. Also hopefully later in the year work will begin to build another new section of single track to connect corral with the armstrong pass trail, bypassing the road with a legal trail.
    I'm all over this. The Corral trail is one of my old favorites, until recently, when the motorcycles ground it to dust. Great trail, albeit short. We'll fix that, eh?

Thanks for posting this. I'll try to get a few folks to come up with me.

Keep us updated.

fp

I can't understand what road that is coming off Oneidas at the 20-car parking. I'm assuming that's jeep trail?
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I can't understand what road that is coming off Oneidas at the 20-car parking. I'm assuming that's jeep trail?
    Pretty sure thats the fireroad lower toads dumps out on.

I'm trying to get few friends together also. BTW Corral is ridable now and in good shape, last of the winter tree falls was cut out recently.

Totally, and to the max.
    I'll see if I can make this. Our family has a place on Black Bart and I can now consider that trail a "neighborhood" ride. Love it. I'd like to put some sweat equity into it. Plus, free beer!

Caca pasa

*Bump*

Any NorCal'ers care to join me for this- maybe stay over & ride Toad's (or go the other way on the Rim Trail) the next day?

fp

mtbr member

Aint you working boy?

You don't work on Saturday G? Sup?
    :p

Caca pasa

I asked for it off...

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    You don't work on Saturday G? Sup?
    ...in anticipation of this work party. Gotta pay this trail back for many hours of pleasure.

What are conditions on the Rim Trail, do you suppose?

Interested in riding somewhere in Tahoe Sunday?

fp

mtbr member
    Lots of snow still up there, Toads is out of the question along with most of the rim trail, you could ride up a bit but you will get turned around. By the way took the road bike over Luther pass cutting thru the Big Meadows Parking lot on Tuesday, the Gate is still closed for the parking lot. Flume Website is Still reporting 3 to 4 feet at Marlette Lake.

As far as the South Shore goes Best riding right now is Corral, also had a lot of fun playing around on Tahoe Mountain on Saturday, trails are in primo shape with the mule ears starting to bloom. It's possible that Hawley Grade is ridable since it catch's a lot of sun, but the snow melt has the water falls raging, crossing the falls might be a bit dicey right now.

I hear on the North Shore that Emigrant trail is in nice shape right now.

Been rehabbing from a broken ankle I got in March, I can ride, but having trouble walking around for very long without a lot of swelling, so I'm probably going to miss the trail day unfortunately. I still might try to go for an Hour or Two, If I go I'll be riding to the trailhead on a Truth, with a yellow helmet.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

I'm doing the century around Tahoe Sun. If I can get free of some family obligations on Sat, I'll help out. I love that trail, too. I hope the new additions are as good.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

YESBRO!!!

Idea! i would go to this if i can find someone to split gas from the bay

I've got a 2000 pathfinder and a 4 bike swing away rack.

if anyone wants to split gas i'll drive. camp or hotel, i don't care. would like to leave friday afternoon or friday night. i know a couple of places to camp close to this spot to boot.

hit me up.

anybody.

~d

I can't believe NOBODY wants to go to tahoe for the price of gas...

bummer.
    Last edited by datenschwanz; 06-02-2006 at 01:48 PM.

YESBRO!!!

No good so nobody wants to go?

this is the saddest day ever.

YESBRO!!!

No good so nobody wants to go?

this is the saddest day ever.

no one wants to go...

Sep 2005

corral loop DESTROYED

I have a question for you. Why did you take a nice flowing trail and make it into a hiking trail? The switchbacks that you so kindly put up at the top have destroyed the fun of this trail, and I am not the only mountain biker that feels this way. Couldn't you have just cleaned up some sections and make some detour were needed. I was going to come to this so called trail building, but due to a family emergency was unable to attend. Everyone that I ride with agrees that in no way would we have helped make this devistation happen. As for the comments of motorcycles ruining this trail, HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT HORSES DO? I think that you guys need to look into how to build a flowing trail. There are not a lot of downhill trails in this area and you just messed up one of the good ones.

Todd

Hella Olde
    Maybe XC riders are more into switchbacks and "tech" sections? I dunno...give me flow over switchbacks any day.

mtbr member
    That really bites, from all the documentation that I read and with a couple of talks with the FS, never once was a reroute of the existing trail mentioned. The whole point was to create a loop, so the motorcycle folks did not have any net loss of trail after they close lower Toads to them from my understanding.
    I'm going to get out there Thursday or Friday after work to check it out myself, then have a chat with the FS service engineer. Not that it will change anything but at least get an ideal of what was going thru there heads.

BTW, get out a ride the heck out of the X-mass Valley/Dardanelles trail early summer. They completed around half of the reroute last fall, should be completed sometime this summer at which time they will decommission the old trail. Before long there will be nothing technically challenging left in the basin

Sep 2005
    I went and shuttled the corral loop this afternoon with some people and the forest service and conservation corp were out working. I mentioned to the workers that the rerouting has messed up the trail. They said they were doing the work for erosion control. I would like to know who the forest service manager is so that I could write a letter to him or call him. The original flyer I saw at the trail head did NOT mention anything about them closing the existing trail, rather they were adding alternate section.
    Please let me know what I can do to help resolve this problem, if it can be resolved with the forest service involved.
    Todd

mtbr member
    PM Sent, I doubt anything can be done at this point though

sunnyside up

Is there an organized MTB club in Tahoe?

Quote Originally Posted by buffytoad
    I would like to know who the forest service manager is so that I could write a letter to him or call him. The original flyer I saw at the trail head did NOT mention anything about them closing the existing trail, rather they were adding alternate section.
    Please let me know what I can do to help resolve this problem, if it can be resolved with the forest service involved.
    There used to be a club called TAMBA, does this still exist? Their website has been down for about 6 months. It sounds like maybe some organized advocacy efforts are needed there....

Let me know if I can help!

Patty
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

mtbr member
    Tamba is basically non-existent anymore, when I talked to one of the primary guys last year it basically consisted of a couple people who are not activity doing much any more. It's a shame they use to do a lot of good work, did several trail days with them a few years back.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 06-13-2006 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40
    Maybe XC riders are more into switchbacks and "tech" sections? I dunno...give me flow over switchbacks any day.
    Yeah, but these switchbacks aren't even real switchbacks in that they're not an abrupt 180. They're more like tight turns. It's not fun by any measure. I rode the trail on Saturday with three friends. One is more into freeriding like me and the other two are more XC riders. Everyone agreed that they had absolutely ruined the trail.

I don't buy the erosion arguement either. The sections of trail they decommissioned were almost never rutted nor did they get very sandy.

mtbr member
    Hey Arty, small world

My bet is it's an underhanded way to discourage motorcycle use on the trail with out officially closing it. If it's no fun on a mountain bike, it's going to that much less appealing on a motorcycle.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Hey Arty, small world

My bet is it's an underhanded way to discourage motorcycle use on the trail with out officially closing it. If it's no fun on a mountain bike, it's going to that much less appealing on a motorcycle.
    Or, maybe it's a big world...

My suspicion is that this is a case of engineering by the book. The book they got handed from above said to use these methods, route for this slope and substrate, and to get any funding at all they had to promise to follow "the book." I doubt the usablity of those trails for mountain biking ever really came into consideration in a specific local context.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleNateR
    Or, maybe it's a big world...

My suspicion is that this is a case of engineering by the book. The book they got handed from above said to use these methods, route for this slope and substrate, and to get any funding at all they had to promise to follow "the book." I doubt the usablity of those trails for mountain biking ever really came into consideration in a specific local context.

I have to agree with TeleNateR. I work for the state and catch alot of the run off from "above" and it has nothing to do with what's best. It's all about da $$$$

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    I don't know, I get all the EA's in the mail, and comment on them and the Freel/Meiss Transportationshed EA never mentioned the reroute of the trail. Just that they planned on adding another trail to create a loop. I worked with the FS engineer and rode with him in the past, and I've seen first hand that he knows how to build a trail that flows well for a mountain bike. Maybe his hands were tied with this one or he no longer holds that position, and I really do not want to talk to him till I check it out first hand. Believe me they are fully aware of how this trail was used.

mtbr member
    Well here is the skinny that I've been able to gather, I'll keep the source secret for now but it's not the forest service. Sounds like IMBA is responsible for the design of most of the reroute. I'm actually pretty dam excited about the upcoming new trails that are being built.

"The idea on the trail was to make it sustainable (as per TRPA, Lahontan,
    etc. regulations) yet still have some technical features. (I actually spent
    much of my day stabilizing the approach to a cool 4' drop). I have to say
    that I haven't ridden it since we finished some of the re-routes, but the
    flow of the trail has changed. Much of what was changed came from the IMBA
    trail people. It does have a different quality. I imagine some folks will
    like it and some won't. I have to check again to see what the overall plan
    is for the motorized/non-motorized use again, since it does seem that they
    are keeping all of corral open to motorized."

There is a new trail in progress, this must be the new loop trail that was proposed

"You know there is also a new single track off the top, about 200 yards from
    the road at the first rock outcrop, that leaves from the right of the main
    trail and drops all the way to just before the bridge. It is very windy and
    tight and the eventual goal is to have the turns bank up like Mr. Toads. I'm
    not sure of how it will finish up since they are still discussing how they
    want it completed."

Upcoming changes, look out for reroutes on cold creek, which will be part of a single track that drops all the way from Star Lake!

"On the South Shore, there
    should be an official single track all the way from Pioneer trail to Star
    Lake soon, following up the old Cold Creek trail (with some stabilizing and
    re-routes) to High Meadows, then over to another new trail up to Star Lake.

This will be a most welcome addition

"They are also working on laying out a trail from the Fountain Place gate
    down to Corral loop. It will go on the uphill side of the road, rather than
    in the creek drainage. "

Sep 2005
    Thanks for checking in on what is happening. I hope that "they" are not trying to discourage motorcycles from riding corral, because this might lead to the next type of trail usage closure....US.
    Are all of you from the South Lake area? If so, what about starting up the TAMBA again. Is there anything we can do here to get it going? I am willing to put an effort forward, but I believe that all aspects of mountain biking need to be considered, XC, FREERIDE, DH, and family fun. Why does there have to be multi-use trails? I have ridden outside of Bend, Oregon and there is a complete trail system that is for mountain biking only. Can't we do that here?
    Thanks again
    Todd

sunnyside up

Restart TAMBA?

Quote Originally Posted by buffytoad
    Are all of you from the South Lake area? If so, what about starting up the TAMBA again. Is there anything we can do here to get it going? I am willing to put an effort forward, but I believe that all aspects of mountain biking need to be considered, XC, FREERIDE, DH, and family fun. Why does there have to be multi-use trails? I have ridden outside of Bend, Oregon and there is a complete trail system that is for mountain biking only. Can't we do that here?
    Thanks again
    Todd
    Hey Todd,

I'd be happy to help you guys get TAMBA restarted. Have you tried getting in touch with anyone from the club? If you google for tamba mountain bike you get a few hits with names and phone numbers.

I'll be out of town up in Whistler the next two weeks but I could help you guys get this going again in July.

Patty
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

mtbr member
    Well I can pretty much tell you that you will never see a downhill system within the basin with the sensitive nature of the lake and all the work being done to prevent sediment runoff into the lake. The cost of building a sustainable downhill trail that sheds water properly is also very expensive and time consuming. That's why Heavenly will never have a mountain bike park because it lies within the basin unlike N*. If you live in the basin and have ever had to deal with the TRPA you know what I'm talking about.

I did discover Tamba is still around as a small group and doing good work, the Website will hopefully be updated and running again soon. They are trying to get a meeting together in the future sometime soon so they can get some folks interested in helping out and get some projects going. I'll post on this forum when this happens and maybe we can jump start this organization again. If nothing else to better disseminate information in the future.

It appears there was a public meeting to ask what people wanted to see in the corral trail. Unfortunately the paper didn't get it out, it was only a flyer at all the shops.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 06-14-2006 at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    So I got out yesterday to check out things, decided to check out the new trail first. The entrance is not that obvious, there was a trail crew working there that pointed out the way, I think there keeping the entrance and exits purposly hidden to give the trail time to settle, but it's clear people are riding it. It's tight and twisty, if you hate the new corral route you'll really hate this one. For you Bay area riders it's very similar to the Blue Blossom reroute at Skeggs. At the bottom of the new section I was showing 1.1 miles from the top parking lot and my average speed was 6 miles an hour, don't think I could have gone much faster, big squish bikes might even have problems with the tight turns. If this is really what they are giving the motorcycle folks in exchange for lower Toads, I'd be really pissed if I was a motorhead.

Now it was time to check out the new Corral, decided to just ride up it which was no problem, if memory serves me right this would not have been possible before. Passed 4 trail crews on the way up, they said they will be out there working for the next month. They where doing a lot of rock work to armor sandy area's in the end the trail will definitly hold up over the season better than the old trail. Riding back down it was hard to get a real good feel having to dodge the trail crews, but I did not think it flowed all that bad. Granted I only ride this trail a couple times a year and it's only been a blip on a much longer ride so I really do not recall how it flowed before, so for me it's a big yawn, I can't get to passionate about it, guess I'll have to dig out some old helment cam footage from a few years back to refresh my memory.

The bad thing is I think this is the sign of the future and is pretty much a preview of the new X-mas valley trail. It's going to become tougher and tougher to find trails that challage you in the basin.

Ended up having a great ride overall though, the weather was kickass yesterday, ended up with 24 1/2 miles of dirt riding including Cold creek, and out and back to Saddle road on Power line, mostly singletrack, then another 5 1/2 miles of road to get home making a 30 mile day.

From High Meadow got a good look at the Star lake/Freel area, it's still buried under a lot of snow, it'll be awhile before the TRT up there is ridable

Caca pasa
    Re: Cold Creek. Are there any impediments to getting all the way to the "top"? And is the top where you have to start hike-a-biking (up by the power lines), or is there more trail beyond that?

Thanks for the update! I love the Cold Creek ride. Any chance you'd do it again on Sunday?

mtbr member
    Got a float down the Truckee river to the Lake planned Sunday with some fishing thrown in, so I'm out for Sunday.

No problems getting to the top, and I did no hike-a-bike, try just riding it up from the bottom, you'll have to hike a few short sections, but then it will be clear how to enter from the top.

Members who have read this thread: 0