South Coe footies- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,013

    South Coe footies

    Anyone have GPS elevation gain data for this South Coe climb section: Coit (from steel bridge)-Anza-Jackson to junction w/ Elderberry (top of steeps, meadow area).

  2. #2
    middle ring single track
    Reputation: Moe Ped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,447
    I usually dump my GPS data after a ride (unless something really interesting happened) but from Google Earth I can tell you that the elevation change is about 1430'---so given the couple of dips in Coit I'd guess the climb would be around 1600'. Somebody has this for sure and will probably give you an accurate report here.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

    Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ElHombre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider
    Anyone have GPS elevation gain data for this South Coe climb section: Coit (from steel bridge)-Anza-Jackson to junction w/ Elderberry (top of steeps, meadow area).
    1567 feet...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    994
    But a straight start and end reading of the topo is only 1370 feet - plus whatever you lose and have to reclimb. Which is just that little hill on the road near the start of Anza, and that is probably 50 feet, so 1420 is probably more accurate.

  5. #5
    I'm a "she".
    Reputation: mudworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    934
    1493.5 feet.... for no other reason than it being the average of 1420 and 1567 feet.

    Oh, wait, I take it back... It's actually 2240.25 feet ! I almost forgot to multiply it by BigLarry's infamous x1.5 "Coe-Factor"!

    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    994
    Besides, if you have a full suspension bike and the rear lock-out isn't perfect (plus tire flexing), then you have to add half an inch of elevation gain for every pedal stroke...and if you are anything like me (nearly always in the lowest gear on Coe hills), that's an awful lot of extra elevation!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel
    Besides, if you have a full suspension bike and the rear lock-out isn't perfect (plus tire flexing), then you have to add half an inch of elevation gain for every pedal stroke...and if you are anything like me (nearly always in the lowest gear on Coe hills), that's an awful lot of extra elevation!
    Don't go all "engineer" on us with suspension factors.................Then, you have to consider rolling resistance for each tire at a certain pressure, body weight, wind, heat, humidity (denser air is harder to move through)....................and on and on and on.

    My thought????? Take your elevation number and time and then go hard next time and try and beat it. Sometime all these gizmos and gadgets get in the way of enjoying things out there. Anyone ever just look around at the land you are climbing on an go "Cool!"
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    Don't go all "engineer" on us with suspension factors.................Then, you have to consider rolling resistance for each tire at a certain pressure, body weight, wind, heat, humidity (denser air is harder to move through)....................and on and on and on.

    My thought????? Take your elevation number and time and then go hard next time and try and beat it. Sometime all these gizmos and gadgets get in the way of enjoying things out there. Anyone ever just look around at the land you are climbing on an go "Cool!"
    I was looking around so much I ran off the trail a few times.
    Coe is rad, especially w/ clouds in the valley.

    BTW, time was :56 to the bottom of Grapevine and 1:30 or so back to the steel bridge. We did the "stay left loop" and went back up Anza to skip the fireroad as much as possible.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker
    I Love Coe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why?...and I'm not trying to be a smarta$$.

    I've only ridden from HQ and found it to be hot, painful (not necessarily a bad thing) and kinda boring. I'm curious to know what you love about it.

  10. #10
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    Why?...and I'm not trying to be a smarta$$.

    I've only ridden from HQ and found it to be hot, painful (not necessarily a bad thing) and kinda boring. I'm curious to know what you love about it.

    simple...Coe is epic....truly epic....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  11. #11
    middle ring single track
    Reputation: Moe Ped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,447

    There's the problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    I've only ridden from HQ
    Try the Hunting Hollow entrance next time, I never had much fun riding from the HQ either. At HH you typically ride uphill (mostly) outbound and get to coast (mostly) back to your vehicle. The opposite of what happens when riding from the HQ. If the heat bothers maybe you could wait until spring!?!? I can't speak for beaverbiker but what I really like the place is the great XC riding---all sorts of ST, great vistas, lots of wildlife and great solitude!. Coe is HUGE, the parking lot might be full but once you hit the trails you might ride all day and not see another person.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

    Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ElHombre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    Why?...and I'm not trying to be a smarta$$.

    I've only ridden from HQ and found it to be hot, painful (not necessarily a bad thing) and kinda boring. I'm curious to know what you love about it.
    Let me try... Coe has IMO some of the most fun, remote, steep, I guess you'd call it 'rugged' singletrack in the Bay Area. First exhibit: Middle Ridge: a classic ride and easy to access from HQ. But there's much more: Rock House Ridge (think: bombing down a faint outline of a trail littered with 'landmines' and that doesn't seem to end). Dutch's: a high-adrenaline, fast, steep descent. Middle Steer. Spike Jones / Timm's. Etc, etc.
    That you need to do some climbing, shed off a few ticks left and right and deal with hot weather are details! Plus rangers, hikers, horse people, other folks you meet there are in general very friendly and spread out so that you hardly ever run into them.

  13. #13
    Silence! I kill you!
    Reputation: Jorgemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,049
    Just ride Coe at night, that'll give you a new outlook on life
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

  14. #14
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,631
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre
    Let me try... Coe has IMO some of the most fun, remote, steep, I guess you'd call it 'rugged' singletrack in the Bay Area. First exhibit: Middle Ridge: a classic ride and easy to access from HQ. But there's much more: Rock House Ridge (think: bombing down a faint outline of a trail littered with 'landmines' and that doesn't seem to end). Dutch's: a high-adrenaline, fast, steep descent. Middle Steer. Spike Jones / Timm's. Etc, etc.
    That you need to do some climbing, shed off a few ticks left and right and deal with hot weather are details! Plus rangers, hikers, horse people, other folks you meet there are in general very friendly and spread out so that you hardly ever run into them.

    and don't forget the 'invisible' trails...that's always been interesting.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    and don't forget the 'invisible' trails...that's always been interesting.....
    Oh those are fun......................On the map, even the official one and they are nowhere to be seen once you get there. Or, they vanish 100 meters in. Well, they don't vanish. It's marked by some ant tracks or some like that you can't follow at 20 mph!!! Sometimes you have to stop, look around, and go "oh, there it is" like 100 meters down and across a creak bed.....................Only at Coe!
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.