South Bay Ride-Sat 5-6 Demo Forrest?- Mtbr.com
    smw
    pedal pusher

South Bay Ride-Sat 5-6 Demo Forrest?

Nisene up through Aptos Creek down Ridge Trail to Sawpit and back up Hihns Mill rd to Buzzards Lagoon and back to Aptos for Bar-B-Que and beer. No drop ride, but it is around 40 miles. Meet at Nisene Marks State Park around 10am, Kyle you need to be there around 9:30am.

Who is in?
    Sean
    Last edited by smw; 05-02-2006 at 01:21 PM.
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Those photos in the other thread aren't looking good.

I'm riding somewhere though, and demo would be nice. (but I probably won't be driving around the long way or climbing from aptos, yes I am a wimp).

Totally, and to the max.
    I vote for doing the long Aptos route. It really is a great ride, and the climbing isn't terrible. Plus, it ends in Nisene Marks State Park! What better a place to kick back and BBQ after a big ride?

What say you, fish tank?

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    I vote for doing the long Aptos route. It really is a great ride, and the climbing isn't terrible. Plus, it ends in Nisene Marks State Park! What better a place to kick back and BBQ after a big ride?

What say you, fish tank?

Im game for that, and I know JDubs12 is in also. Now the only question, which bike? SS for that much climbing is my preferred weapon.

Crazy Andy and Minnie mae you in?

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Totally, and to the max.
    I've actually never done that loop on the SS, but I need to, considering the 24 hour race is in 2 weekends.

jrm
    mtbr member

So ..

What say you, fish tank?

start in aptos ride up aptos road and then do a loop (or 2) in demo and return via aptos rd. (or the ST) to nisene? Do i have to drive into SC to get to Nisene?

Oh and a map would be cool if youve got a good one.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    start in aptos ride up aptos road and then do a loop (or 2) in demo and return via aptos rd. (or the ST) to nisene? Do i have to drive into SC to get to Nisene?

Oh and a map would be cool if youve got a good one.
    Doing this route it will be one loop in Demo, no drop ride. Its close to 40 miles, although the last 13 miles is down hill. Ive heard great things about this ride. Capt Kana does this on quite a bit.

We can meet at my house and drive together if ya want.

Sean

smw
    pedal pusher
    I've actually never done that loop on the SS, but I need to, considering the 24 hour race is in 2 weekends.

Does that mean you'll be going SS?

Sean

Totally, and to the max.
    Yes. I gots to train my brain to handle the pain. Again. and again. and again.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Good, then I wont be suffering alone. I will be suffering more.

Sean

mtbr member
    fine... exactly how steep is this 13 miles of climbing? I guess I could use a bit of whipping into shape also.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    fine... exactly how steep is this 13 miles of climbing? I guess I could use a bit of whipping into shape also.

1600ft over 13 miles, not steep. I understand there is one steep section.
    You'll be fine.

Sean

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    1600ft over 13 miles, not steep. I understand there is one steep section.
    You'll be fine.

Sean
    2% average grade, that's barely a climb.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It's a pretty mellow climb, except for:

The switchbacks at the beginning of the climb (about 4 miles in) and the climbs after Sand Point. The switchbacks are fairly steep, especially for a ss. After Sand Point, you climb, then drop....then climb...then drop...ad nauseum.

The real tough work will come when you're either climbing up Hine Mill or Suffer Springs on the way back.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    It's a pretty mellow climb, except for:

The switchbacks at the beginning of the climb (about 4 miles in) and the climbs after Sand Point. The switchbacks are fairly steep, especially for a ss. After Sand Point, you climb, then drop....then climb...then drop...ad nauseum.

The real tough work will come when you're either climbing up Hine Mill or Suffer Springs on the way back.

So you'll be joining us?

On another note, we got home ice baby! Yeah-Go Sharks

Sean

mtbr member
    You'll be fine.

Sean
    I'm holding you to that and one of your beers hostage!

anyone post a map (or google earth shot?) of where to meet?

jrm
    mtbr member

yeah..

Doing this route it will be one loop in Demo, no drop ride. Its close to 40 miles, although the last 13 miles is down hill. Ive heard great things about this ride. Capt Kana does this on quite a bit.

We can meet at my house and drive together if ya want.

Sean

Dan has mentioned that theres ST that runs along the road.... Sure, lets carpool if it works out ..

Feb 2005

bummer

Im game for that, and I know JDubs12 is in also. Now the only question, which bike? SS for that much climbing is my preferred weapon.

Crazy Andy and Minnie mae you in?

Sean

i'm working this weekend so i'm out. otherwise, it would be a fun ss ride! i think andy's heading back to marin this weekend to ride. poor boy is homesick!

mtbr member

I'm Out

Heading back to Marin, I need to pick up the last of my stuff there and going to swing out a ride, I've done Demo to Aptos and back and hit Braille on the way back it's all ss friendly.

CrAzY AnDy
    1man 1gear 1speed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    IWhat say you, fish tank?
    I used to think that guy was so annoying when they first started the show. Kinda grows on you though. That fish tank thing is funny.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    1,600 ft will only get you to Sand Point. Another 900-1000ft of climbing to get to the top of Ridge trail. Great ride. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    So you'll be joining us?

On another note, we got home ice baby! Yeah-Go Sharks

Sean
    No. I'm not ready for that big loop......yet I'm still working to get in shape so that I can ride with you guys. I've upped the riding... 3 times in the last 4 days.

I've been eating, sleeping and breathing sharks since the playoffs started. They have a good chance to go far.

Go Sharks!!!!!!

bike buster
    Nisene up through Aptos Creek down Ridge Trail to Sawpit and back up Hihns Mill rd to Buzzards Lagoon and back to Aptos for Bar-B-Que and beer. No drop ride, but it is around 40 miles. Meet at Nisene Marks State Park around 10am, Kyle you need to be there around 9:30am.

Who is in?
    Sean
    See you there. Carpool or meet at your place?

Justin

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubsl2
    See you there. Carpool or meet at your place?

Justin

Im suprised it took you so long. Meet at my house.

Sean

jrm
    mtbr member

Hey..

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    No. I'm not ready for that big loop......yet I'm still working to get in shape so that I can ride with you guys. I've upped the riding... 3 times in the last 4 days.

I've been eating, sleeping and breathing sharks since the playoffs started. They have a good chance to go far.

Go Sharks!!!!!!

you should come with us. :23:

bike buster

Sean
    Yeah, I've been riding instead of reading MTBR. :-) That and working 6/7 days. Can't wait for this weekend....

Justin

jrm
    mtbr member

hey..

Sean

PM me your address and what time to be there.....do i need to bring consumables....

smw
    pedal pusher
    Ok, looks like we can meet at George's Picnic Area, which is just before the steel bridge. There is a $6 day use fee at the entrance. Bring something to eat and drink, I will bring a bar-b-que and beer. The ride is kinda long so make sure you bring enough water and food to get ya back to the picnic area. The entrance to the park is off of Soquel Dr.

Sean

Totally, and to the max.
    I was going to suggest meeting outside the park and riding in, but I like your idea much better. Just pedaling out of the park on the paved road after that 40 miles is a pain in the butt. It'd be nice to end right in a picnic area and chill out. Sean, do you have the beer covered or should I bring a sampler platter? I'll bring some meat flavored products and maybe some tater salad or something. If I ask really nicely, my wife may do some magic in the kitchen for us all.

Derelict, you out there? We mentioned BEER! Where you at?

smw
    pedal pusher
    I was going to suggest meeting outside the park and riding in, but I like your idea much better. Just pedaling out of the park on the paved road after that 40 miles is a pain in the butt. It'd be nice to end right in a picnic area and chill out. Sean, do you have the beer covered or should I bring a sampler platter? I'll bring some meat flavored products and maybe some tater salad or something. If I ask really nicely, my wife may do some magic in the kitchen for us all.

Derelict, you out there? We mentioned BEER! Where you at?

Yeah, Ill swing by BevMo after work and handle the beer. Maybe Ill get some Brats too. I know Ill be hungry and thirsty by the time this one is over.

Sean

Beer=Derelict

mtbr member

Sean
    I'm not sure where to go.. is it cool if I meet up with you at your house also and follow? what time are you planning to leave by?

smw
    pedal pusher
    I'm not sure where to go.. is it cool if I meet up with you at your house also and follow? what time are you planning to leave by?

Thats plent cool. Be at my house about 8:30 am..

Sean

Totally, and to the max.
    Nice. Well then, we'll make sure to bring some tasty vittles.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Nice. Well then, we'll make sure to bring some tasty vittles.

is Rochelle coming along too? Forgive the spelling if its incorrect, Im just a muffler man thats sniffed one to many cars.

Sean

Totally, and to the max.
    Actually, I just found out that she can't make it, so I need a passenger. Maybe I should just meet at your house and we can make arrangements. The less cars paying to come into the park the better.

Oh, and you were very close. It's Richelle. Like Michelle.

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    No can go. I will be at Trout Farm tiling one of the rentals to get it ready .

Tone, are you gonna meet this group?

Sean, PM me for info. Oh yeah, little bits of purple are more better .

What time do you think you will be done? I may come visit.

SS is great all the way.

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

My name is Mud
    Let me see if I can get a carpool going form up here. May need to ask for directions, will let you know tomorrow.

Ed

mtbr member

Can't make it

Quote Originally Posted by derelict
    Let me see if I can get a carpool going form up here. May need to ask for directions, will let you know tomorrow.

Ed
    Hey, this sounds like a ride not to be missed (I'm not sure how easy it will be to convince me to do the Aptos climb once highland opens up again). But unfortunately, I can't make it Saturday.

Ed, hope you can get the East Bay / SF carpool jumpstarted.

-Dave

aka baycat
    Shoot I'd be in for the carpool, but a ride on my girls birthday is a BIG violation

Ryan

mtbr member
    Actually, I just found out that she can't make it, so I need a passenger. Maybe I should just meet at your house and we can make arrangements. The less cars paying to come into the park the better.

Oh, and you were very close. It's Richelle. Like Michelle.
    I'm gonna meet up there too. Definately consolidate cars. Gas price is as big an issue than the park fees.

I'll be a passenger or I don't mind driving, but if one has disc brakes, you need to be able to rotate handlebars 180 degrees. Acutally, I can fit a bike inside my car so scratch that.

I would like to be back in SJ by 6:30, but thats not too strict.

smw
    pedal pusher
    I'm gonna meet up there too. Definately consolidate cars. Gas price is as big an issue than the park fees.

I'll be a passenger or I don't mind driving, but if one has disc brakes, you need to be able to rotate handlebars 180 degrees. Acutally, I can fit a bike inside my car so scratch that.

I would like to be back in SJ by 6:30, but thats not too strict.

I think we are in good shape to go with 2 cars. I can carry 4 bikes, Kmax has a rack as does JRM so we will work that out in the morning. Ive got an assortment of IPA for after ride festivities.

Sean

aka dan51
    I think we are in good shape to go with 2 cars. I can carry 4 bikes, Kmax has a rack as does JRM so we will work that out in the morning. Ive got an assortment of IPA for after ride festivities.

Sean
    This sounds like fun.
    But there is another suffer fest happening at Coe, AND Trail Head is having Demo days.

Coe - I would feel guilty going without The Law since she loves that place.
    Trail Head Demo day - I don't really NEED another bike
    Demo ride - 26 miles of fire road for a few miles of ST. That just doesn't sound worth it. But I do need to get in shape for 6 days of riding in Italy.

Oh the choices.

-Dan

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    This sounds like fun.
    But there is another suffer fest happening at Coe, AND Trail Head is having Demo days.

Coe - I would feel guilty going without The Law since she loves that place.
    Trail Head Demo day - I don't really NEED another bike
    Demo ride - 26 miles of fire road for a few miles of ST. That just doesn't sound worth it. But I do need to get in shape for 6 days of riding in Italy.

Oh the choices.

-Dan

Come and join us, we need someone to carry all the tools and spare tubes. Really it'll be fun, and a great way to get in shape for Italy.

Sean

mtbr member
    whats the status of the bbq? someone bringing a portable? are there grills there?

smw
    pedal pusher
    whats the status of the bbq? someone bringing a portable? are there grills there?

Im bringing a portable gas grill. I do believe they have que's there also.

Sean

jrm
    mtbr member

But..grasshopper..

Quote Originally Posted by dan51

Demo ride - 26 miles of fire road for a few miles of ST. That just doesn't sound worth it.

-Dan
    your forgetting the secret sauce.......

Totally, and to the max.
    13 miles of fireroad going up. But not 13 miles of fireroad going down. You do the math. Cough, cough. [staples mouth shut]

Totally, and to the max.
    You really just need to make it to San Jose. We can work out a carpool from here.

aka dan51
    13 miles of fireroad going up. But not 13 miles of fireroad going down. You do the math. Cough, cough. [staples mouth shut]
    Well, I'll have to show up to see how you turn 26 miles of fire road into only 13.
    Must have something to do with 88 mph, and 1.21 jigowatts.

-Dan

Let's ride
    Stand back, this is what physicists call a worm hole...
    Nothing to mess with, and don't try to understand it.

My name is Mud
    Sorry Gents... count me out

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by derelict
    Sorry Gents... count me out
    I won't be making this one either.
    Have fun.

-Dan

Members who have read this thread: 0