mtbr member

Soquel Demo Forest after rain?

We're heading up to Carmel for 4 days starting Wed night. Forecast calls for rain on Thursday and intermittent rain on Fri and Sat. We drive home Sunday.

Planning on a couple of road rides but was also wanting to bring a mtb to ride Soquel Demo Forest. Intermediate rider, riding solo.

Are the trails rideable in the demo forest after a couple of days of rain? I was originally thinking Fri or Sat.

But I don't want to hurt myself or damage the trails and can easily leave the MTB home and stick to the road.

Hoping for a little local knowledge....

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Doesn't look promising right now. Demo isn't that great right after a rain, especially Flow. Fort Ord will be good inbetween showers--or even during a shower!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-12-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Moderator Moderator
    If you do ride it solo, Saturday might be the best day, weather permitting. If you get hurt out there on a weekday, you might be on your own for awhile with no cell reception.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    If you do ride it solo, Saturday might be the best day, weather permitting. If you get hurt out there on a weekday, you might be on your own for awhile with no cell reception.
    Yup. Had to help a guy get to his senses after separating his shoulder at Demo last time. Not recommend to ride solo during the week.

Bad luck with the weather as this looks to be the wettest this winter so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Agree---this is not a good option if it rains---Fort Ord for sure

Also need to avoid Wilder if it rains much---really gets messed up

Do not ride demo solo----this is a remote place and getting help is tough and takes hours at best

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll leave the mtb home. I'm not interested in mtn biking as much as I am in riding somewhere beautiful. I've actually ridden Fort Ord on a road bike and its kind of fun. But not exactly epic scenery, I'd probably just ride road up there rather than haul the mtb up as well.

As to not riding solo, I understand what yall are saying but that would essentially mean that I can never ride it, since I am not local and would be unlikely to ever be travelling with another mtb-er. My husband does not ride.

I've ridden lots of solo mtb while on vacation. Spouse knows where I'm going and when I should be back. There are times I never see another person on my entire ride.

Is there something more inherently dangerous about Soquel than other lonely places I might ride? Because I hate to never have the chance to ride it.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    Is there something more inherently dangerous about Soquel than other lonely places I might ride?
    No! The usual common sense rules apply. The Flow trail does take out a surprising amount of people. But, again--if you ride within your limits it's not a big deal. Keep Demo on your "To Do" list.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Note--if you are looking for nice views and landscape and did not think much of Fort Ord then you will be very disappointed with Demo-----essentially no views--you are just in trees in a logged forest----and the climb from the parking lot to the top and later from the bottom back to your car are really tough and on fire roads----keeps the crowds at bay for sure.

Great and challenging ride but not scenic.

I f you do go then ride flow once and then climb back and ride braille----that should do you in.