SoCal Dive Boat Fire- Mtbr.com
    Life's a Garden, dig it!

SoCal Dive Boat Fire

This is really sad and tragic.

It looks like the boat was chartered by an adventure company out of Santa Cruz. I'm afraid this one is going to be felt by many of us/you.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/us/artic...m-14408757.php
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

fc
    head minion Administrator
    This is a big one. Quite similar to the Ghost Ship fire in scope.

Many young ones it seems. RIP.

fc
    IPA will save America

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    This is really sad and tragic.

It looks like the boat was chartered by an adventure company out of Santa Cruz. I'm afraid this one is going to be felt by many of us/you.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/us/artic...m-14408757.php
    Reading the accounts from the captain and crew it was a total tragedy, with them unable to get the people inside the boat out, getting injured getting out of the ship, begging a neighboring boat to assist in anyway possible, and total shock. Seems like nothing they could do and nothing that could be done.

RIP to those, especially the young ones just starting their lives.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Caca pasa
    Ugh. Family of 5 from Stockton.

Horrible.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Supposed to be a few from San Jose and Santa Cruz too.

What a crappy way to go.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Iím without words.
    😢😢😢😢😢😢
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    This is one of the worst charter boat disasters I've ever heard of. Maybe the the worst.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This is one of the worst charter boat disasters I've ever heard of. Maybe the the worst.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    When I was still in my teens, I would skipper and crew my families' 36' Angleman Sea Witch ketch for San Diego tourists, day sail only, and minimal coddling too. Did everything the "old way", meaning no use of the diesel engine, just sail only. This charter boat company has a damn perfect record for all its' charters, met all the minimum standards and then some.
    I find it very very hard to conceive of what went wrong there to kill everyone. That would be just a crushing blow.

Rides all the bikes!
    I can't imagine boarding a boat without knowing my egress routes. I don't understand how a fire could completely block access without anyone having time to sound the alarm, especially as it sounds like there was crew topside. Really interested in hearing the report.

I have 10 years of sea time myself in the USCG. Circumnavigated the world.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I heard on the radio that the compartment they were in had two routes out, but they went to the same area which was engulfed in flames. I'm sure we're learn a lot more.

Caca pasa
    Article in the SacBee on the Stockton victims.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...234725382.html

Name:  MOD_QuitasolFamily.jpeg
Views: 48
Size:  28.4 KB

Christina (second from left) was not on the boat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Where did the "tall" genes come from in that family?

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I heard they were all asleep when the fire occurred. I guess the disorientation from waking up, and poor visibility in a confined space could cause people to asphyxiate pretty quickly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    One of the Channel 3 (sacto) anchors, Eddie Lambert, is an experienced recreational diver that was on the ship several times and knew several of the people on the boat. She has not participated in the news of the fire much - I suspect that she is afraid she would loose it on air.

There was an equipment closet on the boat where all the lithium ion batteries for cameras, dive lights, etc were charged overnight. I wonder if a battery failed and overheated the rest in the compartment until they exploded setting the entire level of the boat on fire instantly and blocking the exits.

Lithium ion batteries are useful little bombs. Newer designs do not catch fire so easily, but all will explode if overheated. We all treat them so casually - youtube has video after video of exploding laptops, phones, scooters, hoverboards, etc. I'm taking another look at how and where I charge the bazzillion Li - ion batteries on my house and try to make them safer.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

fc

SoCal Dive Boat Fire

Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    I heard they were all asleep when the fire occurred. I guess the disorientation from waking up, and poor visibility in a confined space could cause people to asphyxiate pretty quickly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    They were packed like sardines. One exit. The emergency exit was like a port hole on the other side.
    IPA will save America

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    One of the Channel 3 (sacto) anchors, Eddie Lambert, is an experienced recreational diver that was on the ship several times and knew several of the people on the boat. She has not participated in the news of the fire much - I suspect that she is afraid she would loose it on air.

There was an equipment closet on the boat where all the lithium ion batteries for cameras, dive lights, etc were charged overnight. I wonder if a battery failed and overheated the rest in the compartment until they exploded setting the entire level of the boat on fire instantly and blocking the exits.

Lithium ion batteries are useful little bombs. Newer designs do not catch fire so easily, but all will explode if overheated. We all treat them so casually - youtube has video after video of exploding laptops, phones, scooters, hoverboards, etc. I'm taking another look at how and where I charge the bazzillion Li - ion batteries on my house and try to make them safer.
    I hadn't heard a lot of news or details but assumed it was an explosion. I think there are charging pads or even small flame proof covers. This will be a consideration in my family as well.
    Assuming the best of the crew, procedures and their documented safety record, variables like the electronics and technology brought on board would the one big variable such as charger cords, batteries etc.Ö.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

fc

SoCal Dive Boat Fire

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post

This is a good clue. Lithium batteries are most dangerous when charging. One bad charger not shutting off when done WILL ignite a battery.

And when there is a room/closet full of batteries, one ignition can light all the others on fire. This kind of fire is volatile like a Tesla car fire.

Magicshine lights and hoverboards had this battery charging issue.

I am sure that many of these folks had many many lithium batteries to charge for dive lights and camera gear. Light and Motion's main business in fact is dive lights and not bike lights.
    IPA will save America

Elitest thrill junkie
    The smoke in an enclosed space is likely disabling and overwhelming before the fire actually burns anyone. I've had to put out fires in aircraft fuselages with a smoke hood and even then I couldn't see anything except a bit of the yellow of the flame (no structure, no seats, no windows, everything obscured by smoke). It's easy to underestimate this, but in any enclosed space with plastics and stuff that will burn, that will get you before the flame IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The smoke in an enclosed space is likely disabling and overwhelming before the fire actually burns anyone. I've had to put out fires in aircraft fuselages with a smoke hood and even then I couldn't see anything except a bit of the yellow of the flame (no structure, no seats, no windows, everything obscured by smoke). It's easy to underestimate this, but in any enclosed space with plastics and stuff that will burn, that will get you before the flame IME.
    I just hope they were rendered unconscious before they perished.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Criminal probe launched with focus on safety lapses, sources say
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...aunched-safety