So lets get those trail reports coming in this week! April 17.- Mtbr.com
    Too Much Fun

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! So lets get those trail reports coming in this week! April 17.

So we are looking at 3-4 days of sun for the Yay Area. Lets see some trail reports to hear whats drying up the quickest...
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun

Skeggs.... WAY WET.

Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    So we are looking at 3-4 days of sun for the Yay Area. Lets see some trail reports to hear whats drying up the quickest...
    Ok. I'll start!

Rode a quicky at Skeggs yesterday. It was a MESS. I stuck to the fireroads as the singletrack stuff was just hurting. Lotta deep, deep mud and deep puddles. I'm not one to wreak a trail and the bike was just cleaned so I stayed out of the good stuff. Still, it was fun just to be out. A few hours on the bike is better then a few hours doing almost anything else!
    - -benja- -

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    I thinking of hitting China Camp this coming weekend. Hopefully with the sun it should dry out nicely

aka baycat
    Mt. Tam fireroads of course are in good shape, singletrack is very rideable on Tam albeit there is some mud but sweet as always on Tenderfoot.

I will let you know about China Camp, riding it this afternoon. But I was out there last week twice and enjoyed it even with more rain and mud.

gimme friction
    As of Saturday, China Camp backside was looking great. Bayview is in good shape, but long sections of Shoreline are just a mess. You can really tell this trail took the brunt of riding while Bayview was closed for the new bridge.

In the short term, I would advise against the section of Shoreline between Miwok Meadow and the campground, including the section behind the campground. Lots of standing water and deep, soft ruts. This is easily bypassed by hitting the pave between Miwok and the bottom of Bayview.

mtbr member

up here...

the South Yuba Trail is in effing amazing shape as usual. Some muddy spots and large water puddles on the Rim trail but the rest of the standard Yuba loop including Missouri Bar is in fantastic shape.
    :p

new and improved

Skeggs

Ok. I'll start!

Rode a quicky at Skeggs yesterday. It was a MESS. I stuck to the fireroads as the singletrack stuff was just hurting. Lotta deep, deep mud and deep puddles. I'm not one to wreak a trail and the bike was just cleaned so I stayed out of the good stuff. Still, it was fun just to be out. A few hours on the bike is better then a few hours doing almost anything else!
    True dat. Sierra Morena is (and has been for a while) a mud bog, there's a tree down between CM02 and skeggs point. Manzanita's in good shape, as the sandstone drains reasonably well in most spots, and crosscut has held up well to the rain.

Anyone seen Steam Donkey lately?

mtbr member
    stevens canyon big mudd slide closed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

How's the Poison Oak on the South Yuba?

I know it can get pretty bad in the springtime.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member

not bad....

yet...
    :p

Feeling a little taller

Mount Diablo - South

...was a little muddy still but likely will dry out in a few days.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Groveland Trail Heads

I rode to Wilder Ranch

yesterday only to find that the inland side was closed. The coastal side is open. Great views but pretty much all flat fire road. The coastal side always reminds me of the final scene of the original "Planet of the Apes".
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist

Leave the gears at home!

Most of the east bay trails are way too mucking fuddy. Anthony Chabot bike loop included. Brandon Trail, Loggers loop, etc.Might be better in a couple more days. Rode it Saturday and had fun even with the mud.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I want to make out with Zywiec
    Beer Thermo Nice
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

gimme friction

Now THAT is why winter suks

Quote Originally Posted by J_T
    Most of the east bay trails are way too mucking fuddy. Anthony Chabot bike loop included. Brandon Trail, Loggers loop, etc.Might be better in a couple more days. Rode it Saturday and had fun even with the mud.
    Hey J_T, good to see you 'round again. See you on the trails this summer, fo' sho'!

Let's ride
    I love how you're running V brakes with that mud. So awesome!

err, 27.5+
    Trails. Hmm, there is a novel idea. Haven't been on those in over a week. Fortunately I have not fully converted to the dark side (still have hair on my legs ). Napa valley dirt classic on Sunday. Hopefully it will dry out.

I will check out the trails in Santa Cruz in a day or two. For now the mud is still clinging on.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Purisima Creek Redwoods mostly open , not too muddy, fast enough, fun enough. There is a few down trees but thats about it. The scenery is worth it right now.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia
    Hey J_T, good to see you 'round again. See you on the trails this summer, fo' sho'!

Indeed. Fo' sho. Although mama has me on a new road tandem, I still need to get my dirt on. You might even see me on the east side of Briones some Tuesdays.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by J_T
    Indeed. Fo' sho. Although mama has me on a new road tandem, I still need to get my dirt on. You might even see me on the east side of Briones some Tuesdays.
    I thought about you and the CRR as we rode on the road past the Bear Creek entrance. When do you guys officially start riding Wednesdays again? I think we'll start on Tuesdays in about 2 weeks to give stuff a bit to dry out.

Too Much Fun

The Great Orb In The Sky Beckons Us!

Its looking SUNNY, almost HOT even. Let the soils take their fill of the sun and DRY THE HELL UP.

I might be doing my regular Dawn Patrol ride at Skeggs tomorrow or Thursday if anyone is interested...
    - -benja- -

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Out here in the hinterlands trails are drying nicely. Rode Sweetwater + Salmon Falls on Saturday and there was actually dust on the trail in a couple of spots! There was also a couple of bad mud bogs, especially back where the cattle roam. The creek crossings were down to early summer levels and Sweetwater itself was perfect.
    A little further down the hill, the Dyke 8 trail is doing OK. Still a couple of nasty mud bogs where some dirt jumper types decided it would be cool to move dirt around to make a couple of jumps. What they made ended up being pig stys. A few more days of sunshine and Dyke 8 should be very nice.
    Granite Bay needs another week to dry out. Serious mud bogs out there.

Now,, do you want a poison oak report??

Last edited by zon; 04-18-2006 at 09:20 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    I thought about you and the CRR as we rode on the road past the Bear Creek entrance. When do you guys officially start riding Wednesdays again? I think we'll start on Tuesdays in about 2 weeks to give stuff a bit to dry out.
    Thanks for thinking of us Dan

There's been a quiet contingency of Wednesday night CRR rides but nothing 'official' for Briones. Two weeks of drying out might do it though. No one seems to be in any hurry to ride the muddy, cattle churned trails out there when Marin, and more importantly MBC, are right across the bay.
    Once we start I'll be sure to post the notice. We also will continue with the hugely successful gut-checks of "One Speed Wednesdays" The last Wed of each month.

JT

mtbr member

Funny

Here it is Tuesday and we figure the trails should be drying out with all this sun, even though it did rain yesterday morning. I was in the same camp on our ride today thinking trails should be drying out a little, when normally I would be thinking about how muddy they should be. Call it irrational exuberance, but I hope this weather holds up and I will be out on the bike 3 or 4 times a week from now on.

just another bleepin SSer

Marin Headlands

I stuck on my awesome MTBR sock and went for a ride in the Marin Headlands today.

The Coastal trail from Conzelman Road down to Bunker Road (first dirt most anyone would ride after crossing the bridge) is still closed, but looks like repairs have been done and it should be open soon.

Miwok, Old Springs, Tennessee Valley, Marincello, and Bobcat were all basically fine. Only where there are springs is it wet (like the top of Miwok and bottom of Old Springs). The worst of them was Tennessee Valley out to the beach (I suspect this is not one that most people ride anyway).
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Fremont Older - Wed, April 19

The climb up from the golf course parking lot is in fine shape. The fire roads exposed to sun are bone dry. The seven springs loop descent (far side) is in perfect shape. The climb out is a little wet but rideable.

The flat fire road heading out to Toyon trail is an absolute mess. Avoid. Toyon trail is still closed. The far Toyon trail is wet on the climb. The other half is fine (in case you're hiking, that is).

fc
    Last edited by fc; 04-19-2006 at 04:13 PM.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Now,, do you want a poison oak report?? .
    Poison Oak received.... already. And I am one of those, "don't get it" guys.

Folsom:

Granite Bay:
    Traditionally so well draining, no standing pools during mid winter rain rides. BUT, I think the MTB races out there have made giant mud bogs. I tried to create some good drainage at most of them. Should be better by this weekend.

Auburn:

Forest Hill Divide (Lake Clamentine side):
    Stellar, soft but little mud/pooling.

Connector Trail:
    Some pooling, did some drainage here too. Only 1 bog.

Culvert Trail:
    Hammered. Washed out, widened. Bogs. Mud fest. I saw trail workers out there. So current status unknown.

Confluence:
    A little better, but pretty hammered. Workers there too.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Annadel is pretty good. North Burma has some mud and parts of Ridge trail. Most trails have puddles that are on gravelly soil, so no much mud sticks to the bike. A few stream crossings are much more challenging than they used to be.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Silence! I kill you!
    On paved trails (Nothin else to ride near my house) the Coyote Creek path is closed at the power plant due to about a 30ft wide section covered in water. I'm hoping to get out to Coe this weekend and see how those trails are.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Arastadero, Garin Park/Dry Creek, Coyote Hills...

Still drying out, but not as bad as a few weeks ago. Will try again in a few days and post conditions then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Fremont Older - Wed, April 19

The climb up from the golf course parking lot is in fine shape. The fire roads exposed to sun are bone dry. The seven springs loop descent (far side) is in perfect shape. The climb out is a little wet but rideable.

The flat fire road heading out to Toyon trail is an absolute mess. Avoid. Toyon trail is still closed. The far Toyon trail is wet on the climb. The other half is fine (in case you're hiking, that is).

fc
    I did the seven springs loop on Tuesday... fine going down (the sandstone part), a bit sloppy climbing out on the singletrack. Second time I took Seven Springs down and decided to try the fireroad back up. The road's in good shape, but definitely steep at the top (can you say >15% grade).

Coming back down to the golf course noticed a small "stunt" innocuously sitting on the left side of the trail. A small log roll up onto a short (less than a bike length) log ride... really nothing too big, but fun to try.

Sorta looked like this from the side: oOmm

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    the Coyote Creek path is closed at the power plant due to about a 30ft wide section covered in water.
    You beat me to it. There are actually two flooded spots. I can usually make it through the one closer to Bailey, but I wasn't going to try it yesterday. It was a foot deep and running 10mph. The section you're talking about by Coyote Ranch gets 4' deep, and I think it's almost 100'.

We'll need a solid 10 days of sun before it will be passable again. Anderson Lake is full, so they're letting out way more water than usual. There's actually a little power generator there.

Monday I drove the new land cruiser up to Sunnyoak Muffler and Sean (smw) welded up a hole in my header and bought me lunch. What a sweetie.

Today I delivered a bike I sold on Craigslist, and I wasn't about to ride a too-small rockhopper with knobbies 25 miles before work, so I took the bus most of the way.

Sep 2005

... and if we just ... Briones Thursday PM

The Briones RAWS says it hit mid-70s Thursday afternoon. Rode west side (last one out) til dark.

Seaborg has wet patches. Ride it up like me and believe you me, chain suck royale. Clay sticks like nasty fine grit to rear derailleur and chain. Chain-sucked on all the up short climbs on Table Top and Briones Crest...creative shifting helped. Abrigo Valley and Santos to Crest trail have bad patches too. Crest is clean as are Abrigo and Old Briones Road. 2-3 more days may dry out some of the wet. Didn't see many signs of cattle, except upper sections of Old Briones Road.

Great to be out again...need to loop into Briones Wednesday nights...been riding around you guys for years when I'm there Wednesdays....

Uncle

A bit late to the punch, but Tamarancho is pretty trashed

Rode it sssllloooowwwwwlllyyyy on Sunday and pretty much all of the mid & lower elevation was sloppy good times. I'm sure it's a little better now after 3 days of sun, but I think maybe a week more will do it well. Of course, we're supposed to get some rain on Saturday

Trip the Bike Fantastic

derailleur snakes on pine mountain

there's a pack of snakes hiding out on pine mountain that will bite your derailleur clear off. they will also toss you headfirst into a patch of p.o. if you're not looking.

let me be a warning.

on the bright side, the wild irises are blooming like bonkers, and the typical springtime overgrowth hasn't yet swallowed the trails.

Feeling a little taller
    Tilden is still muddy in patches ranging from small drainage areas to long patches of no-traction surface mud to full-on mud wallows. The higher elevation trails are mostly dry and the lower elevations and tree covered areas are wet and muddy. Although, from a legal trails vs. fun factor standpoint, I can't see why anyone would want to ride there anyway. Plenty of challenging hills in parks with fun legal trails.

The Canal Trail is dry and there are no muddy patches as of yesterday afternoon and the trails at Hidden Lakes are mostly drying out.

Well, it looks like it's going to rain again in the Beast (East Bay reverse pig latin in case you're new) and so I'm really glad I spun in the sun the last 4 days.

banned

Had a killer ride up in Joaquin Miller Wednesday after work. People have been doing maintenance on Cinderella and cleaned out the fallen trees, mudslides and poisen oak (it was completely covering the lower part of the trail for a while).

Many of the slides have been turned into jumps - but they're not too big or hard to ride around.

I just rebuilt my Foes FXR... it had taken an extended leave of absense, and it was good to be back on that bike - it focking rips! So much faster than the Intense. What a difference between my FXR and my Tracer!

Now the question is, which bike do I ride this weekend?!?!

mtbr member
    Anyone tried the Saratoga Gap yet? Thinking about heading out there on Sat.

banned

just rode JMP

It is pretty good, bumpy, but mostly dry. Didn't see any jumps though on Cindy, must have been taken down

Shrapnell (chaparelle) is good, always.

Didn't get a chance to ride Palos, but probably still drying out.

Sibley is rideable and dry.

I may play hookey this afternoon to go for a spinnnnnn.....

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Had a killer ride up in Joaquin Miller Wednesday after work. People have been doing maintenance on Cinderella and cleaned out the fallen trees, mudslides and poisen oak (it was completely covering the lower part of the trail for a while).

Many of the slides have been turned into jumps - but they're not too big or hard to ride around.

I just rebuilt my Foes FXR... it had taken an extended leave of absense, and it was good to be back on that bike - it focking rips! So much faster than the Intense. What a difference between my FXR and my Tracer!

Now the question is, which bike do I ride this weekend?!?!
    What about Redwood? Is that rideable? I like to link it with JMP.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    What about Redwood? Is that rideable? I like to link it with JMP.
    Depend on which trails yer talking 'bout ;-)

Redwood is a hoot, even in a downpour!

The fire roads such when wet, though

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    It is pretty good, bumpy, but mostly dry. Didn't see any jumps though on Cindy, must have been taken down

Shrapnell (chaparelle) is good, always.

Didn't get a chance to ride Palos, but probably still drying out.

Sibley is rideable and dry.

I may play hookey this afternoon to go for a spinnnnnn.....
    What time?

I think I can make it up there around 3:30 or so...

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Depend on which trails yer talking 'bout ;-)

Redwood is a hoot, even in a downpour!

The fire roads such when wet, though
    I haven't ridden Redwood in months. Last year, I remember riding it in late winter, flying down the fireroad, and all of a sudden hitting a huge patch of mud (maybe 20-30 yards long). That was a bit of a surprise.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Waterdog

Just got back from a ride at Waterdog. Trails are in surprisingly good shape. On most trails you can't even tell that there was 40 days and 40 nights of rain (except for that ark on a neighbors lawn).

The trails you can tell we had lots of rain are:
    - trail 3 (the fire road across the top from the Hallmark entrance) is closed. The area that was slowly sliding has slid more, and a new area is starting to slide.
    - the canyon where the new trails are (often called 3 planks (the lower stretch of trail 12 on the official map) plus the bottom of the new French trail (trail 7 on map)) are wet.

I assume the Canyon Trail (trail 8) is a stream, so didn't go there. Rode most of the rest of the trails.

Still at Passion trail Bikes as I write this. Once I hit sumbit, next stop is the keg-a-rator...
    --
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Rode Black Diamond today and it is still pretty much a mess. Not that many people ride there, but the soil and cattle traffic are pretty similar to other EBRPs in Contra Costa. In a few weeks, if it stays dry, the park people should come by and basically pave the fire roads. At which point you can basically ride them on a road bike.

aka dan51
    Santa Teresa isn't too bad. Some sections are still muddy, others are tore up from all the horse traffic.
    Rocky Ridge was too muddy towards the bottom to continue my climb, but it seems more rock is exposed and slightly more technical.

-Dan

VRC Illuminati

St. Joes/Jones Trail

Was up there on Wed and Thurdsay (19-20th).

Everything is looking pretty dry. Little wet at the bottom of the Jones Road entrance.

A few rain run off creeks here and there, otherwise everything is just about completely dried out.

No major ruts or trail damage from use. The Manzenita single track half way up is perfect.
    I was surprised by the overall good condition of the trails up there.

Lots of people up there right now though, on foot and on bike. Ride smart, mind your speed I'm sure the Rangers will be in full force.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

WWYD?

Derailleur snakes and Mountain lions, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Cycledelic
    there's a pack of snakes hiding out on pine mountain that will bite your derailleur clear off. they will also toss you headfirst into a patch of p.o. if you're not looking.

let me be a warning.

on the bright side, the wild irises are blooming like bonkers, and the typical springtime overgrowth hasn't yet swallowed the trails.
    Tamarancho report as of Thursday (a little later, okay):

Muddy, but getting awesomer, some erosion, some slides and a little one that will knock you down the side if you don't see it. Any trail in Marin narrower than three feet is probably muddy, but go for it!

About those animals, I saw the "Tamarancho" mountain lion on Iron Springs on Wednesday up past the tiny road barricade. Its probably the same one I've been seeing on the west side of the loop from B-17 to Iron Springs every now and then. I first saw it a year ago and the cub is definitely a young "kid" now--bigger about 40 lbs. Should we start a pool when he's going to nail the first mountain biker ?

mtbr member
    Annadel is 90% dried out.
    Except for this bit where ridge and Marsh trail meet: (also I saw 4 snakes like this one basking in the sun around the marsh)
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Annadel is still a mess

I rode Richardson, South Burma, Marsh, and Spring Creek on Thursday. All the fire roads are in great shape. The north end on South Burma was a little mucky, but drying out fast. Marsh on the other hand, is a stinking mess. All the ususal sports between South Burma and Canyon are in pretty bad shape. If it stays dry Annadel should be fine in a week or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Arastadero, Palo Alto

Rode yesterday evening --mediocre ride and trail conditions. Not too many open.

The loop directly attached to the parking lot is open. Seems much of the fireroad and trails across the road is closed --a lot of grass growing! Horses have pock-marked much of the smaller trails; this sucks. A few major swamp bogs in the corners and off-camber turns. At the top of levee climb, the trail down to main fireroad is closed.

Didn't make it up to the bowl or jumps; ran out of light!

Presidio, SF

Rode there today. Most is in good shape. A few areas around the cemetary had some mud, particulary where he trail was compressed down by use, so would channel water. But most of the park is very ridable.
    --
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Coe is drying out

I did a quickie at Coe (Coyote Creek entrance) yesterday. The hillsides are saturated, but the trails are drying out. Jackson Trail has held up remarkably well (probably because it's exposed and kinda south-facing). However, some lower, sheltered parts of Anza Trail are muddy.

However, Poison Oak is springing up like crazy. Bring Tecnu!

I expect that the ridgetop and hillside trails (like Lyman Willson, Spike Jones, China Hole, Willow Ridge) will generally be OK, OTOH, I imagine that much of Grizzly Gulch will be a mess. Cross Canyon Trail will probably require several changes of socks :-)

Next weekend's Coe Backcountry Weekend should be nice if (big if!) there's no more rain before then.

Ross.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Fort Ord has dried out nicely (as it always does). The last 100 yards of 22 where it connects to Crescent Bluff Road are pretty tore up. 47 has a serious gully through it at the low point in the trail, probably 2 feet wide and 4-5 feet deep. Other than that everything we rode (45, 10, 43, part of 49, 50, 22, 82, 11, 48, and 47) were all in pretty good shape.
    "I read a Russian novel once," Anderson cut in bleakly. "People with unpronounceable names did nothing for seven hundred and eighty-three pages, after which somebody's aunt died."

Slowest Rider

Santa Teresa / Quicksilver

The Coyote Peak fire road, and most all fire roads are fully dry. Rocky Ridge was completely dry, except for some short very muddy patches near the bottom couple switchbacks. A bad wet patch was also hiked through on the Stile Ranch where the log drop used to be. Some of the previously muddy roads have bad ruts and horse tracks frozen in place as the clay dried, making a full suspension very desriable. All in all, very ridable and only a little mud.

Quicksilver just opened on Saturday. The Virl Norton trail over by Mockingbird had one short super muddy hill climb, but otherwise the conditions were great. Actually, the dirt road from Mockingbird used to be a nasty slippery steep climb. Now it's got some growth that helped stabilize the road.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Members who have read this thread: 0