So how do you define a "drop?"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

So how do you define a "drop?"

Whenever people describe jumps and trails, they usually give a measured description of a drop... like "Dude, we went down an eight-foot drop!" I go to the same trail thinking that I have to fall the height of Yao Ming's extended hands only to see a ledge not much higher than my chest (and I am officially in gnome territory in terms of height).

Maybe I'm wrong, but how are drops measured? Is it the delta between the highest point of the launch to the wheel's point of contact? Or in instances where the trail drops off considerably, would it be the bottom? Or am I just plain off my understanding? I tend to think that a drop requires some airborne time with the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    The correct way to measure the size of a drop is from the lip to the top of the transition/landing. If you were to measure a drop base upon the amount of distance your bike has dropped, then you are no longer measuring the drop. Instead you are measuring the distance your bike has dropped. Usual mistake we hear is people saying " I just did a 8 foot drop!" when they actually just did a 3 foot drop with a steep transition.

A better way to look at it is that a 3 foot drop has a minimum of 3 foot of drop for the bike, but with more speed it can easily turn into 8 foot of drop for the bike.

mtbr member
    And indeed with the new math 2+2 does equal 5... as long as you feel good about it
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade
    And indeed with the new math 2+2 does equal 5... as long as you feel good about it
    And as long as Big Brother says so!

I don't measure drops. The only thing I care about is if I clean it and if I can go bigger or smoother off it next time.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Isn't Bender math the standard? Take actual drop and multiply by 2.5.

mtbr member
    Sorry. I'm bored.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So how do you define a "drop?"-new-bitmap-image-5-.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^^^ Hahahahaha
    "Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We should all kick each others asses to protect the environment.."

I just wanna go fast!
    he's pretty much right.

Some people feel the need to measure the distance of the diagonal rather than the vertical to make themselves feel better. That's just silly.

When it comes to riding with your buddies, I've found that the best way to communicate is "small drop", "big drop", and "Scary big drop".

When it comes to reading about it on the internet, I've found the best way is "pics or it didn't happen".

mtbr member
    I'm thinking more along Monkei's lines too (nice art work btw).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You generally measure a drop by the vertical distance from the height of the take off to where your rear wheel touches down. If you are going to label a drop as being a set height drop i'd probably say do it by the amount of vertical free-fall you have for a normal amount of speed taken off of the drop. The problem you are running into though is more about people exaggerating how big drops are.

Die trying, not watching.

How much will it hurt?

I measure drops by how much it will hurt if I don't clean it.
    Just get up again ...

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by lassiar

Hee yuk.

“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Take for example the drop at the bottom of Corral into the trees, that thing is only like 2 fee high from the ledge, but if you air it from the top before it start going down, it is easily 3 ft plus.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I thought I got to DH forum

Anyway, Pinkbike rule is from the lip to landing zone (so everyone is claiming whatever they feel like)
    MTBR rule is from the lip to the closest ground as if you do slow speed wheelie drop and amount you flew over tranny doesn't matter. This way there is no ambiguity.

For instance rolling bump is just what it is and not a drop. If you hit it hard you may fly some distance and even loose elevation if it's downhill, but it's not a drop regardless.

Small drops with long tranny you can pre-test and go bigger gradually but drop difficulty remains the same. Big drop you have to commit for minimal clearing amount. So think about drop size as a minimum commitment level to hit it
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I define "drop" as a trail feature I can not roll down without both wheels leaving ground. I generally avoid those on a mountain bike. I have a little BMX to play, though I am not good at that either.

I measure drops by placing them in two categories: "mkey" and "f-it".

Paper or plastic?
    Don't forget the third category: NFW
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I took a drop from a curb to the street and it was like maybe four inches or twenty or five hundred feet.

In conclusion: I am awesome.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

aka baycat
    Drops are the same as how many women you have slept with? Dude that was like 8 feet or 2 women!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hands down, you have to be the best stick figure drawer I've ever seen.

I printed up the photo to show coworkers how drops are to be measured, they ALL agree!

W

Quote Originally Posted by monkei
    Sorry. I'm bored.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think the generally accepted way is from the take off point to the safest spot to land. So a 6ft drop, you could go 8ft and be fine, but it's still a 6ft drop, but if you land at 5ft, you're gonna crash cause there is a big rock. For bigger gap style drops, you can call it a 10x20, 10 feet out and 20 feet down, but then the math gets hairy, cause thats where the bs'ing begins. But that's what drives internet forums about drop sizes, so it's all a big circle..."the CIRCLE OF LIFE!!" sing it like Elton John in The Lion King...
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

Members who have read this thread: 0