Air Pirate

Smoke shutdown: Anyone receiving Amazon orders?

Due to the smoke from the Camp Fire in Paradise on Saturday Nov 10th Amazon closed their facility located next to the airport in Sacramento.

I had ordered an item from them on 11/10 which had same-day delivery. I have yet to receive the order, now over a week later, from a facility that is only 20 minutes drive from my house.

I contacted their customer service numerous times and received a lot of misinformation and outright lies regarding what was going on. Amazon finally sent an email notification about the smoke-related shut-down four days after they closed the facility.

I have been receiving deliveries all week from USPS, FedEx, UPS, OnTrac...Amazon's own logistics arm, AMZL, is the carrier holding up delivery...they seem to be the only one who closed ops due to this fire related smoke issue.

A discussion with a supervisor at AMZL resulted in his disclosure the closed Sac facility is the Nor Cal major hub that then sends orders to the smaller local hubs that finally deliver to the customer. He said they have no other hub (beside the LAX -Los Angeles major hub...they sent almost none of the stalled orders there for processing) that could pick up the stalled workflow. Looks like Amazon built into its process an Achilles Heel...a weak link that broke the process flow and left customers without orders all week.

How have the deliveries been in the Bay Area and other Nor Cal locations? Anyone else deal with AMZL? What experiences have you had?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ordered Monday got one package Wednesday and the other was delayed / stalled but delivered on Saturday.

Honestly though, just cancel your order if it's taking too long and go buy somewhere else.

Of all the things to complain about right now...Amazon choosing to shut down a warehouse because the smoke is so bad seems pretty low on the list.

Think of it instead that they are worried about their workers health.

Air Pirate
    Item I ordered not available locally, 2 other online merchants have it but for 40% higher price, item is needed so cant cancel and just say the hell with it.

I never said Amazon was wrong to care about employee health and safety. I am just curious as to how this affected other customers. I find it curious a company that made its name in getting anything and everything to their customers at light-speed could be hobbled so easily.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I tried to get a smoke mask and get it by this weekend. NO CHANCE.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I ordered a six pack of filters for my air purifier, said they would be here tuesday, I guess we will see.

Im working on my surprise face when a new tire shows up with the filters.

"I guess it was just in my cart, I didn't mean to order it, I thought those filters were kind of expensive"
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Lots of places shut down due to heavy smoke.

A cost increase of 40% is cheap considering you need this product and not knowing when your important piece of mail will arrive.

Lots of people say "if you want something done right, do it yourself". In this example, sounds like the mail system is failing and us consumers will have to do our own shopping.

fading away
    People with a conscience donít do business with Amazon. Period. They are scoundrels.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

injured reserve list
    I had ordered an item on 10/12 and it sat on the amazon conveyer belts in Sac until it was delivered yesterday 10/19. originated in San Bernardino.
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I ordered a six pack of filters for my air purifier, said they would be here tuesday, I guess we will see.

Im working on my surprise face when a new tire shows up with the filters.

"I guess it was just in my cart, I didn't mean to order it, I thought those filters were kind of expensive"
    Dang dude, i order whole bikes and pull it off under the radar. Separate bank accounts, hidden paypal credit cards - a lack of transparency an openness is crucial.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Got two orders today
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Actually received one order yesterday which was a day earlier than expected.
    Last edited by m2_boy; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:50 PM.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I finally got my bulk order of 100 N95 masks. Finally!!! Oh wait.
    IPA will save America