mtbr member
    Jan 2018

SLO ride suggestions

Going to be down in SLO Thanksgiving weekend, anyone up for a ride or have any suggestions on where I should go? First timer in the area. Hoping to do 2 good morning rides while there. Thanks!

mtbr member
    How long and what type of riding do you like? We got everything from smooth XC trails to rocky and loose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Rocky and loose is probably more my style. Like to do rides between 12-25 miles with 3,000+ feet of climbing (most of my rides are at Demo, UC, etc. where you get to 3k by doing multiple laps).

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I was going to suggest you join us on our weekly ride, but then I realized that we are heading south for Mt Pinos shuttle runs on Saturday. Based on your description of what you like, I would suggest either heading out Hazard peak in Montana de Oro area and doing the Hazard-Manzanita-East Boundary or ride Cuesta grade to the top and do Morning Glory to the Eucs, follow the tracks to Poly Canyon. Pretty fun with some good fast chunky descents. PM me for more details.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    For the distance and amount of climbing you like to do, Id go to Montana de Oro. Between the Hazard Peak trails and Oats Peak there are a bunch of different routes to take. The locals would ask you to not ride East Boundary after the rain as it gets torn up easy. Cuesta Grade and Morning Glory, Shooters, Tough and Dirty are also a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    How long and what type of riding do you like? We got everything from smooth XC trails to rocky and loose.
    Just curious: which are the smooth XC trails? Not going to SLO this weekend but I may go in the near future. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRocco View Post
    Just curious: which are the smooth XC trails? Not going to SLO this weekend but I may go in the near future. Thanks
    MDO is all relatively smooth and mellow. Barranca and East Boundary are a little more rowdy but everything else is chill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    With the rain and wet MDO ended up being the only area rideable. Had a blast on Manzanita, Barranca, and Oats Peak. Yall have some great state parks down south, will definitely be going back again soon. Thanks all for the suggestions!