• 08-18-2010
    gonzo
    4 Attachment(s)
    Slash at Demo. makes good fuel for wild fire
    I know they are done timber harvesting soon so they may still do more slash cleaning.

What is the common practice of managing the slash from an urban forest harvest?
    I rode Demo today Wed. 08/18 and notice lots of PILES of branches removed from the trees that were harvested.

I live near by and I know this is a fire hazard. The first 3 pictures are piles of debris(bon-fire stuff) and the last one is an area not harvested.

Definition of slash -noun (in forest land)
    a.an open area strewn with debris of trees from felling or from wind or fire.
    b.the debris itself.
  • 08-18-2010
    erginguney
    This will amount to stating the obvious (and I don't mean to sound too snarky) but, you do realize that Demo Forest is a "demonstration forest", right? Most of what they do there is done as research/experimentation in forest management techniques. So, it's hardly the kind of unattended territory where I'd be inclined to worry about neglected tree debris becoming a forest fire hazard. In all likelihood, that stuff is left there intentionally to try out something, or will be disposed of fairly soon.
  • 08-18-2010
    Moe Ped
    This area's been logged before...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzo

What is the common practice of managing the slash from an urban forest harvest?

Urban!?!?
  • 08-18-2010
    GuruAtma
    I thought the thread was about this guy riding a mountain bike: