Skyline XC race, Napa- Mtbr.com
    bicycle rider

Skyline XC race, Napa

Hey, I'm racing this on my Retrotec single speed. You should race it too.

Please join us at the 19th Annual Skyline MTB XC race, Sunday June 23.
    Your low entry fee of $35 nets you not only incredibly fun and challenging singletrack, but also a delicious pizza from Azzurro Pizzeria. We'll also have a super limited supply of a hella™ rad shirt from KenjiDesigns. Did we mention we donate a whopping portion of the proceeds from the race back to the park? Yes we do.

Added bonus: Race Your Maker
    You have the opportunity to race a bunch of guys that make incredible mountain bikes and parts here in the good ol' US of A... people like Retrotec, Steve Rex, Paul Components, Soulcraft and many more. They'll be camping at Skyline Saturday night as well, so if you want to pony up for a site, they'll be happy to have you join them around the campfire. (Check it out on meetyourmakertour.com)

Register here:
    www.bikemonkey.net/eventreg/skyline2013/

This is a throwback, hard-ass, technical, rocky, difficult race in beautiful terrain. Monsters of rock have won here, you might be next. Either way, tell me about your race over a beer Sunday, June 23. If I can still talk after my race, I'll tell you about mine.

Morgan

NedwannaB
    Thanks for posting morgan, do you know the exact route for this year?
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Thanks for posting morgan, do you know the exact route for this year?
    I was curious too, and found it on the webpage pretty easily. Also, I think the race has it's own facebook page.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I was curious too, and found it on the webpage pretty easily. Also, I think the race has it's own facebook page.
    Familiar with the trails up there just the route didn't jump out at me on skyline site. Did find while surfing FB page. Watching Han's video from last year thru me as they all went up Lake Marie fire road, not up Buckeye as planned for Sport and above for this year.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The race has always started up Lake Marie rd for the first lap. The the second and third lap it goes up Buckeye. Good luck out there.

Lightly salted
    Not related to skyline race, but did anyone hear about this?
    Bicyclist airlifted from Skyline Park after fall

mtbr member
    I've always wanted to do this race but every year seem to have a conflict... last year my brother's wedding, this year my three-year-old's birthday. too bad, looks like one of the better/rockier/more fun xc courses in the bay area. hope lots of people show up and race so that they can keep putting on the event, so I can race it one of these years!

I want to ride my bicycle
    Jan 2004
    Rode the course on Saturday, conditions are perfect, can't wait for this weekend!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Not related to skyline race, but did anyone hear about this?
    Bicyclist airlifted from Skyline Park after fall
    I asked around and can't find anyone who knows the person who fell. The day before this, a horserider was airlifted out. Be careful out there!

Lusus Naturae
    perfect? you mean they converted all the rocky stuff to smooth flow trail? yeah, i'm in!

mtbr member
    I had a hell of a time finding the Facebook page, so here it is for everyone else: http://www.facebook.com/SkylineParkMountainBikeRace

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance View Post
    perfect? you mean they converted all the rocky stuff to smooth flow trail? yeah, i'm in!
    Well, there has been a bit of sanitation here and there, but definitely not "flow trail" smooth. Marie Creek and Manzanita still have enough chunk to keep things interesting!

mtbr member
    I hate to be Chicken Little, but the NASCAR race is also this weekend in Sonoma. Traffic through Napa is going to be a little bit of a mess. Try to get there early.

Then once you're finished just sit around for 3.5 hours for post-race awards, garrr.

Jan 2004
    Rumor has it that Levi Leipheimer is registered for this race! Your chance to race against him!

mtbr member
    I was wrong, traffic was FINE. Race was plenty of fun, really awesome. And since I didn't podium I didn't have to wait around!

Sounded like a rider was airlifted out, though. Hope they are alright.

Jan 2004
    Levi won Pro category (who's surprised?). I witnessed the rider who crashed on the rock "waterfall" on Manzanita trail. Luckily we did not need to airlift him, but he is definitely lucky, it was a BAD fall!

mtbr member
    Really more of a fun ride than a race for me...not in race shape. Levi zipped pass me on a climb along with the rest of the pro/expert field. In previous years, I used to try and finish my two laps before Mark W. & Jason M. caught me finishing their third lap.
    Course was a bit different than the past, but I enjoyed it. Didn't feel too good with the life flight heli hovering over the course towards the end of the race. I saw a course marshal walking a bloodied guy down the trail, so I'm not sure if the heli was for him? Skyline is always a good event, and the course is challenging. Kudos to Eagle Cycling and everyone working the event...fun race.
    Every day above ground is a great day!

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Sorry I could not make it. Sounds like fun and one to put on the calendar for next year. I enjoyed getting passed by Leipheimer at the Tamarancho race. I was racing Cat 3 and was towards the back of the pack headed up Broken Dam when Levi, then on his second lap, roared past at incredible speed after very courteously calling out way in advance, twice, that he was coming up quickly so I had plenty of time to safely prepare for him to pass. I did not realize it was him until later. In fact all of the pros were very courteous (when they passed me).

Jan 2004

Pictures!

Here are a couple pictures from the race....

Caption Contest?
    Skyline XC race, Napa-ouch.jpg

The picnic table podium...
    Skyline XC race, Napa-podium.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet! That's me on Levi's left (2nd place).

Any more pix from the race? Can't find any anywhere else

Jan 2004
    I don't have any others, I was volunteering making sure people made the turn at the fork before the rock waterfall and then making sure no one killed themselves coming down it, so these are the only two shots I got. I know there was a roving photographer, he spent quite a bit of time taking pictures of people coming down the rocks, so I'm sure those pictures will turn up somewhere. I'll post on here if I find out where they are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg View Post
    Sweet! That's me on Levi's left (2nd place).

Any more pix from the race? Can't find any anywhere else
    Sweet is right. You finished within 1 minute of Levi? You da man.

moar photos plz