Skyline, Napa, Saturday

Printable View

  • 08-08-2013
    Finch Platte
    Skyline, Napa, Saturday
    Stay tuned to this thread for more info.
  • 08-09-2013
    JFR
    Looking forward to this ride. High temp is forecast at just 76 degrees, unusually cool for this time of year.

    I think we're looking at a 9a.m. meet time off of Streblow and Napa Valley Hwy 221.

    Haven't decided yet to bbq after or not, but leaning towards bringing the mini-weber and taking advantage of the picnic area and tables where we're parking.
  • 08-09-2013
    FatCloud
    If I ride up from Richmond BART do I get bonus points? (33 miles in each direction)
    (Is this cross friendly?)
  • 08-09-2013
    Finch Platte
    I feel like caca warmed over, but hoping I'll feel better for this ride. Will have to weigh in later with a health update.
  • 08-09-2013
    JFR
    Wow, yeah, I'd say bonus points would be awarded. Skyline has a few rocky sections, but not a ton of chunk or roots that would make riding a cross bike miserable. I would be tempted to ride mine there if it didn't already have a dedicated purpose that excludes random mtb rides.

    Unfortunately, it's looking like we might reschedule due to FP waking up with a cold. If he's out, I'm out too.
  • 08-09-2013
    Finch Platte
    Looks like this is a go. We're bringing food to eat aftet the ride, but no bbq. Anyone going to join us?
  • 08-09-2013
    JMac47
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Looks like this is a go. We're bringing food to eat aftet the ride, but no bbq. Anyone going to join us?

    What's your caca's incubation period? I know how you like to give out bro hugs....
  • 08-09-2013
    FatCloud
    Hm, I think I'm in, all depends if I really want to get up at 5AM to ride. Does anyone want to PM me a number if I'm running late or decide to bail? I'm thinking of riding up with you guys, riding around, then maybe taking the Headlands back to BART in SF. Maybe. I'm really into punishing myself on my bike if you couldn't tell.
    (I'll also try to post here in the AM if I decide to bail)
  • 08-10-2013
    MTB Marco
    Oh man this is the first time I've seen a group ride posted here for Skyline and my freehub body is busted! Hopefully I'll catch you guys another time. Enjoy the ride!
  • 08-10-2013
    hoolie
    Went Friday, saw 2 people riding, 3 hikers in 1.5 hrs, awesomely empty!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MTB Marco View Post
    Oh man this is the first time I've seen a group ride posted here for Skyline and my freehub body is busted! Hopefully I'll catch you guys another time. Enjoy the ride!

    This place is so fun/challenging on singlespeed, I want to go back Sunday! Very fun, and quick dip in lake Marie would be good as it gets hotter.
  • 08-10-2013
    Finch Platte
    God, what great place. I hated almost evey minute of it, getting off my deathbed only to push my singlespeed up every little incline, as JFR rode past, taunting me unmercifully. Glad no one rode with us to see the mere shell of a rider I've become.

    And JMac, you would have gotten an infectuous bro hug fo sho!
  • 08-10-2013
    JMac47
    You were on the SS? You're one sick s.o.b. all right. Sorry I missed it.
  • 08-10-2013
    MTB Marco
    Gotta give it to anyone who goes SS out here! I have a hard time getting up buckeye with gears, or even the fire road sometimes!
  • 08-11-2013
    paradigm shifter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    God, what great place. I hated almost evey minute of it, getting off my deathbed only to push my singlespeed up every little incline, as JFR rode past, taunting me unmercifully. Glad no one rode with us to see the mere shell of a rider I've become.

    And JMac, you would have gotten an infectuous bro hug fo sho!

    Hopefully you stayed off the historical rock walls this time. Riding on such an historical treasure is abhorrent!
  • 08-11-2013
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paradigm shifter View Post
    Hopefully you stayed off the historical rock walls this time. Riding on such an historical treasure is abhorrent!

    Yeah, those rocks wear out pretty quickly. I hardly noticed any around Skyline.

    Luckily, last month I made a HUGE donation to the Skyline Horses Incurring Trails, or SH!T, so I don't feel too bad.
  • 08-11-2013
    JFR
    That was fun yesterday.

    I want to make a correction to my prior post about riding a cx bike at skyline... I do not recommend it. It would be miserable to ride one with others on mtb bikes.

    It's been a while since I've ridden at skyline and I forgot, there are tons of rocks and a fair amount of roots too. More than I remembered.

    I'm glad I exchanged some PM with FatCloud and sort of warned him before the ride.
  • 08-12-2013
    JMac47
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JFR View Post
    I want to make a correction to my prior post about riding a cx bike at skyline... I do not recommend it. It would be miserable to ride one with others on mtb bikes.

    It's been a while since I've ridden at skyline and I forgot, there are tons of rocks and a fair amount of roots too. More than I remembered.

    A cross bike? Possible with 45c's maybe, but yeah, what were you thinking?? :)