Skyline Napa- Mtbr.com

Thread: Skyline Napa

dcubed

Skyline Napa

My 1st time riding Skyline today. What a great trail system. Some good climbs... well, they might have been good, if I wasn't walking them!
    ran into Nelson and his hand built Titanium bikes. Sweet machines.

Oh, here is my Armor, safe and sound in my garage, I would have hate to get it dirty. Good thing my friend said it is all buff singletrack at skyline....

She didn't mention the downhill rock gardens...

Video to follow

Skyline's in my back yard... I haven't been back since I broke my hand (in one of the rock gardens.) might have to head there tomorrow b'tween errands.

Duck Fonald

Skyline's fun...

...no bout adoubt it!

Did you pay the $18 parking fee, or did you come in the free way?

fp
    "What America needs now is a drink."

FDR

mtbr member
    I hope to make it there with you guys next time. How was the weather. Its getting hot on the foothills of Diablo.
    I had fun at Macedo ranch today. The creeks are mostly dry except for 3.

desmo, you need to wear a suit of armor every time you ride.
    Are you riding on wednesday? Or are you going to claim a bad knee.

dcubed
    6 bucks parking

dcubed
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnrider
    I hope to make it there with you guys next time. How was the weather. Its getting hot on the foothills of Diablo.
    I had fun at Macedo ranch today. The creeks are mostly dry except for 3.

desmo, you need to wear a suit of armor every time you ride.
    Are you riding on wednesday? Or are you going to claim a bad knee.
    yes on wed, and tues too if you want

dcubed
    Video, when it comes up

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    6 bucks parking
    That's rape. Did you report it?
    "What America needs now is a drink."

FDR

dcubed
    4 bucks for bridge toll too.

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    those parking fees keep that park open. It's privately held. There's a very real threat of it being sold for housing development. suck it up and shell out or kiss those rock gardens (and the rest of the trail system) goodbye.

or, if you ride it frequently, buy an annual membership. ten rides a year more than covers the annual fee.....

enter and win

I might meet you there for that...

yes on wed, and tues too if you want
    Me & Pat had way too much fun there last Monday...nice crashing on my part, but we found a killer little loop offa Marie Creek going the wrong way thru a fence that was rippin and rolly! I need a ride before I'm workin my a$$ off running a race or 2 at CHDH....so post up Tues nite if you're in fo shizzle ok?? bb

Tues night??? here? is yes, pm details please...

Coors, the american beer.
    i would never ride skyline if i didnt live here for 22 years ... definitley not worth driving in from out of town for .... if it gets sold for housing that sucks but if it doesnt get sold im sure its all gonna be no rocks just smooth dirt with all the trail sanitazation they do. Havent paid to ride there since at least 96, we went in thru the state hospital before the trail from the college was built.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

dcubed
    I think skyline is way worth the drive. Then again, if I do not drive anywhere, I ride fireroads

I do not mind paying, I pay wherever I go. I even pay at china camp

Sadly, rockmtn talking about riding tues or wed was refering to our normal fireroad hell at contra loma.

2 more weeks of school, then I can anywhere, any day!

And becky, I am working the CHDH too. Hope phil puts me in a good spot for some photos!

enter and win

photos

I think skyline is way worth the drive. Then again, if I do not drive anywhere, I ride fireroads

I do not mind paying, I pay wherever I go. I even pay at china camp

Sadly, rockmtn talking about riding tues or wed was refering to our normal fireroad hell at contra loma.

2 more weeks of school, then I can anywhere, any day!

And becky, I am working the CHDH too. Hope phil puts me in a good spot for some photos!

sweet! every spot's gonna be a good spot. Wait'll you see the jump that we built where you can't see the landing I'd love to have Dennis's money in a can for the longest launch!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    don't mean to get into a big thing about paying vs not paying, but i'm with the others who don't mind paying to park at certain parks. this sport of ours is 'dirt cheap' anyway, and if you think it's free to maintain and develop trails and park systems i think you are wrong. to me $6 parking is a teeny price to pay. i try to support the parks everywhere i go, either by becoming a member (ebrp, mbtc, btceb) or putting my dollar bills in the machine...

i'd love to ride there, just haven't yet..looks like a nice spot to come up from the east bay to...

Don't worry Melt... those of us paying our dues (annual membership) are paying for your cheap ass too

but ya... a college students gotsta save money where he can... As far as trail sanitizing goes... get out there and do some trail work this summer... write the board... the Eagles CC, do more than b!tch about it. When they hear from enough mtn bikers (all four of us in the napa co. ) maybe they'll start to listen. Remember when the equine people tried to keep us out? didn't work because enough of us made a stink.

Always last
    I may make it five. I hope to get up to skyline sometime within the next couple of weeks. As I have never ridden it yet though.

mtbr member

Skyline is a cool Napa ride

I rode to the park when I took the family for a little mini-vacation in Napa. The singletrack was technical and rocky in some parts and there were some challenging switchbacks too. Just the ticket to get my MTB fix in before spending the day lounging around with the family. If you stay at the Embassy Suites in Napa the trailhead is within reasonable distance to ride into the park. I still paid the $ even though the ranger wasn't there. After the ride, I took the family for a short drive north to Taylor's Refresher...great burgers, root beer floats and beers on tap to boot in a very family friendly atmosphere with umbrella covered picnic benches and a big sprawling lush green lawn.

Bring it.
    Thread revival, I rode there today for the first time.
    PAY YOUR MONEY, stop whining.
    Can someone who's experienced with the trail system recommend a nice relaxed trail combination to get to the top ? Not up Skyline from the bottom, which is the way I went today. I'm too proud to turn around and admit defeat though LOL. Thanks.

Coors, the american beer.
    i usually ride up lake marie fire road .... a lot of people like to go up manzinita though then ride the fire road from where manzanita hits it though

and no im not gonna pay my money.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    i usually ride up lake marie fire road .... a lot of people like to go up manzinita though then ride the fire road from where manzanita hits it though

and no im not gonna pay my money.
    You mean Lake Marie Freeway??? they focked that fr up!

I'll drop a coupla bucks in the box for Melt next time I'm down there so yous guys can leave him alone now.

Bring it.

Crushed

Well, I went the wrong way up on Wednesday, and by the time I got to the top of Skyline Trail, I was DONE. I saw a guy up there right after I finished the rock climbing, and he was like, "uhh...you're kind of red in the face". LOL No $hit ! AHhahah thx for the advice.

ballbuster

Second that...

Quote Originally Posted by ahb
    those parking fees keep that park open. It's privately held. There's a very real threat of it being sold for housing development. suck it up and shell out or kiss those rock gardens (and the rest of the trail system) goodbye.

or, if you ride it frequently, buy an annual membership. ten rides a year more than covers the annual fee.....
    C'mon, six bucks is pocket change. I've spent more on a beer in a bar, or on two cups of coffee. The trails up there gave me way more entertainment. Don't be a cheapskate.

I haven't been to Skyline since I was just getting back into mountain biking in 2001 or 02 or so. I remember I had a blast. I oughta go check that stuff out again. Yeah, I heard the buffed out the trails even more. Can't be any worse than China Camp.

Quote Originally Posted by fattfreddie
    Well, I went the wrong way up on Wednesday, and by the time I got to the top of Skyline Trail, I was DONE. I saw a guy up there right after I finished the rock climbing, and he was like, "uhh...you're kind of red in the face". LOL No $hit ! AHhahah thx for the advice.
    There is no wrong way. Nothing wrong with Skyline Trl. Skyline's a small park so ya got to get yer ass-whoopin' somehow. The wrong way is going up lake marie freeway. You could drive a freekin' lowrider up that road it's so smooth. It is a nice short climb on a road bike if you want to do some unproductive bass fishin' though.

Members who have read this thread: 1