Skeggs: Oljon Extension and Giant Salamander damage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Skeggs: Oljon Extension and Giant Salamander damage

What's the scoop on this new Oljon extension trail? Pics? Test rides? Elevation plans? More fun than riding Bear Gulch or, uh... up Springboard?

How long will Giant Salamander be closed? What happened there? Water damage?

RIP Steam Donkey. I will never forget foolishly climbing you the wrong way, one quiet evening, when I thought I'd try something new.

mtbr member
    GS is still closed. I believe a tree crushed the bridge that's why it is taking so long.
    I saw them working on Oljon during the winter but the connector they were working on is not open as far as I can tell.
    SD is still open. Did you hear something about it closing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    GS is still closed. I believe a tree crushed the bridge that's why it is taking so long.
    I saw them working on Oljon during the winter but the connector they were working on is not open as far as I can tell.
    SD is still open. Did you hear something about it closing?
    nice to hear the details on GS, thanks

from the ECdM page (click "Trails"):
    "The Eastern portion of the Steam Donkey Trail will be closed for removal starting May 1, 2019. Please plan your trip accordingly."

The map linked off the Trails section of that page shows the part of SD that will be removed permanently (between Skyline and Oljon)

Looks like they are trying to route folks away from Skyline & Bear Gulch, and keep them in the preserve, which works for me, if the trail is reasonable.
    Last edited by b rock; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:58 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Skeggs needs a perimeter trail from the main lot to Blue Blossom/Springboard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Skeggs needs a perimeter trail from the main lot to Blue Blossom/Springboard.
    That's exactly what Oljon Extension is for

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by noblige View Post
    That's exactly what Oljon Extension is for
    I haven't looked at the extension map for a long time, I was thinking the new Oljon extension was going to involve a fair amount of climbing relative to just riding the road around to BB. But it looks like it hugs a ridge line and is relatively flat. If so, WIN!

https://www.openspace.org/sites/defa...uction_Map.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I haven't looked at the extension map for a long time, I was thinking the new Oljon extension was going to involve a fair amount of climbing relative to just riding the road around to BB. But it looks like it hugs a ridge line and is relatively flat. If so, WIN!

https://www.openspace.org/sites/defa...uction_Map.pdf
    If climbing is a concern, you have no business being in Skeggs in the first place, lol

Moderator Moderator
    If climbing is a concern, you have no business being in Skeggs in the first place, lol
    LOL, that is a good point. I always try to nip and tuck the climbing routes so I can get in 12-15 miles and less than 3k if possible. I'm always looking for the lazy way out, but have yet to find it at Skeggs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here is a great ride I did yesterday:

Park at the paved parking lot with bathrooms (CM00)

Take Sierra Moreno all the way up
    Now come back down it
    Down Olijon
    Down Steam Donkey
    Up Gordon Mill

1,200 feet of climbing, going quite easy (still getting back in shape) it was 1.5 hrs, a fit rider would probably be closer to 1 hr.

What this does is give you a lot of miles of uninterrupted single track downhill - awesome experience.

You could also do this from Skeggs parking but I like breaking up all the uphill into two chunks instead of all at the end.

Olijon is awesome, and I actually like how rough/unimproved the trail is. Feels like the older days before things have been ‘sanitized’.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think and hope that what the message on Steam Donkey is *not* the awesome downhill portion, but rather if you look at the map there is a 0.6 mike section between a trail intersection and Bear Gulch Road - the ‘eastern section’. But I have no idea, that is an interpretation. Removing the main portion of Steam Donkey would be a significant negative hit to ECDM.

(I didn’t highlight/link the phrase ‘the map’ above - that is some automatic incorrect advertising artifact from the website for some book on Amazon, really weird.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LightMiner View Post
    I think and hope that what the message on Steam Donkey is *not* the awesome downhill portion, but rather if you look at the map there is a 0.6 mike section between a trail intersection and Bear Gulch Road - the ‘eastern section’. But I have no idea, that is an interpretation. Removing the main portion of Steam Donkey would be a significant negative hit to ECDM.
    Edit: oops, misread your post. Yes I am pretty sure the eastern section is what is getting removed:
    Skeggs: Oljon Extension and Giant Salamander damage-steamdonkey.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LightMiner View Post
    (I didn’t highlight/link the phrase ‘the map’ above - that is some automatic incorrect advertising artifact from the website for some book on Amazon, really weird.)
    Yeah, isn't that super annoying?! I went back and put a link to the pdf in my earlier post with that phrase so that it wouldn't turn into an amazon link.
    Last edited by b rock; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It is clear from the map that the good part of Steam Donkey is to remain (for now, at least). That's the 0.5mi segment that starts right next to Gordon Mill trail. I'll gladly trade the section they're removing for the new Oljon extension. That red section has a lot of steep ups and downs, making it not fun in both directions.

Hopefully Giant Salamander opens up again soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

LOL, that is a good point. I always try to nip and tuck the climbing routes so I can get in 12-15 miles and less than 3k if possible. I'm always looking for the lazy way out, but have yet to find it at Skeggs.
    The ‘lazy way out’ is CM08 to Star Hill Road to Swett and then down Skyline back to parking. Not very glorious, but once when I was really pushing the downhills my hamstrings kind of eventually gave up and I had to limp out. It is still biking out, but much, much easier.

Conversely, have a friend pick you up down there . The road is a bit tight and has a large cliff on one side.

Moderator Moderator

Skeggs: Oljon Extension and Giant Salamander damage

Quote Originally Posted by elenius View Post
    IThat red section has a lot of steep ups and downs, making it not fun in both directions.

Hopefully Giant Salamander opens up again soon.
    Yeeeaaaa, I’m gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Sometimes trails are removed, and yet they remain.

GS YES!

Chump
    I gave the top of steam donkey a farewell ride today. It's not part of my normal routes, so I hadn't ridden it in years. This is what used to be "upper totem", am I right? It seemed less raw and more sanitized than I remember. Couple that with the nasty climb before it gets to Oljon, and I think I'd rather have the proposed extension to Oljon.

mtbr member
    I ran into a couple of rangers with a radar gun yesterday on sierra Morena.I stopped and asked about oljon and salamander.They said they are starting on the giant salamander repairs next week and oljon extension is likely to open in august.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Drove past the top of Steam Donkey on Sat. There was a ranger truck parked there, and a bulldozer/bobcat sitting on the trail. My guess is that the upper part is now closed, and they're going to put up a berm or some other obstacles to make it even more obvious that that's the case.