Skeggs 4/23- Mtbr.com

Thread: Skeggs 4/23

aka baycat

Skeggs 4/23

Riding Skeggs, Sunday @ 10 am, weather should be cooperating with no rain

Where is a good meeting location?

AS per sfbikerider trail recommendations, dis the loop:

CM02 -> Sierra Morena -> Talfoni -> Fir -> Resolution -> ECdM -> Sierra Morena -> Methusalah -> Manzanita -> Timberview -> Gordan Mill -> Sierra Morena -> CM02

maybe can add a Blue Blossom -> Spring Board loop ... that's about another 3.5 miles. I'm not sure which would be the best direction for that loop.

keyword: beer

mtbr member
    Most likely I am in. Will depend if I can finish putting my bike back together on saturday.

Sounds like CM02 would be the meeting place.

I havent ridden spring board and blue blossom either, but I believe spring board is fire road and BB is singletrack, so maybe up Springboard, down Blue Blossom?

mtbr member
    I'll probably be there. Mind if I join?

aka baycat
    for sure!

never been to Skeggs, so where exactly is CM02? directions possible?

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 04-21-2006 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    The gates to the MidPen parks are all numbered (CM01, CM02, etc). If you're coming from SF, take 101 or 280 to 92 west, then 35 south. Just past the big paved lot on the left (Skegg's Pt) is CM02 (on your right).

There is a map at http://openspace.org/preserves/pr_madera.asp that's pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    for sure!

never been to Skeggs, so where exactly is CM02? anyone know some easy directions?

Ryan
    where are you coming from? from 84, there will be a trail head on the left with about 4 or 5 perpendicular parking spaces on the left. On the east side of 35, you can park along the road. After Bear gulch, you will see a couple of other trail heads (CM03?), but wait until you see the one with space for perpendicular parking and I think it opens up (not as much trees) a little bit. If you see the skeggs point lookout (paved parking lot), you went too far.

coming from 92, you go past the skeggs point lookout (paved parking area on the left, but no left turns), and the trailhead and parking will be on the right side.

Maybe someone else can do a better job describing this.

aka baycat
    sweet! I am coming from SF, look out for brown grand cherokee if I am not carpooling.

Ryan

new and improved
    I'll be there. After that loop, springboard + blue blossom might be a bit ambitious (springboard is a crippler of a climb), but we can make the call on the way up Gordon.

I think Schwaa is likely coming, too.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden that Blue Blossom - Spring Board loop. Is there a direction that would work best? (clockwise / counterclockwise)

I'm surprised no one complained about climbing ECdM back up to CM01. I like exiting using Gordan Mill since it's a nice rolling climb out.

Ohh yeah, I'm not sure who's leading even though I suggested the route?!?!? I'm fine leading if needed.

Keep an eye out for me, I drive a Green Ford Escape and ride a black Stumpjumper FSR

aka baycat
    I am up for anything as long as = death for skeggs n00b

mtbr member

Might see you there

I'll know later tonight, I decided not to do NVDC on Sunday, Just going out and riding sound more fun.

CrAzY AnNdY
    1man 1gear 1speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Riding Skeggs, Sunday @ 10 am, weather should be cooperating with no rain
    See you guys Sunday, I'm in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll probably go as well, if I can.

mtbr member
    Looks like we may be up to a group of 6-7 riders!

Plan on getting started at CM02 (gate down road further from main parking lot) at 10am.

aka baycat
    bump for post-ride beers in honor of ed "derelict"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Trak
    See you guys Sunday, I'm in.
    or not... my plans may be changing so I'm unsure for tomorrow.

My name is Mud
    Took a slight detour, was still able to make it for the post ride cocktail. Next time we will have to do a ride at Skeggs Island.

Thanks again for waiting for me.
    Ed

Feb 2005

I'm In!

Yeah, I'm in for a trip to Skegg's Island! Heard it is totally narly with road closures, bridges that are out, one hill, etc. Hee hee ho ho ha ha.

Thanks for the company and the fun ride today, y'all. BEWARE, though, found a tick on the laundry room floor after throwing our riding clothes in the washer. Must have been from Andy's stuff...hahah... We flushed that tick's arse down the toilet! Anyhoo, be careful and check yourself for those nasty bastards!

8trak...where were ya??

new and improved
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMae
    Thanks for the company and the fun ride today, y'all. BEWARE, though, found a tick on the laundry room floor after throwing our riding clothes in the washer. Must have been from Andy's stuff...hahah... We flushed that tick's arse down the toilet! Anyhoo, be careful and check yourself for those nasty bastards!
    True dat. I already had one of those fockers buried in my kneecap by the time I got to the top of Resolution.

Very fun ride and brews today. It was nice to meet you all, and to show you around Skeggs Island.

-G

aka baycat
    Yikes! Time for a tick check.

Thanks to everyone for a fun group ride, kicked my ass, but the post ride beer helped. And thanks for the test ride on the mkiii gus, sweet ride. doug thanks for capooling.

Skeggs got some killer trails...

Looking foward to the Skeggs Island ride!

Ryan

mtbr member

Great Ride!

That was a great ride! We were up to 9 riders there for a while.

The starting group's route:

CM02 -> Sierra Morena -> Talfoni -> Methuselah (up) -> Manzanita (down) -> Crosscut -> Gordan Mill (up) -> Steam Donkey (down) -> Springboard (up) -> Blue Blossom -> Springboard (down) -> Gordan Mill -> Sierra Morena -> CM02

That's about 13.5 miles.

Note to self: Bring fleece jacket for after ride warmth when riding Skeggs in April.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sfbikerider
    That was a great ride! We were up to 9 riders there for a while.

The starting group's route:

CM02 -> Sierra Morena -> Talfoni -> Methuselah (up) -> Manzanita (down) -> Crosscut -> Gordan Mill (up) -> Steam Donkey (down) -> Springboard (up) -> Blue Blossom -> Springboard (down) -> Gordan Mill -> Sierra Morena -> CM02

That's about 13.5 miles.

Note to self: Bring fleece jacket for after ride warmth when riding Skeggs in April.
    Sounds like a great route!! So those trails are drying out nicely? I have weekly afternoon company rides there that I can get going again.

francois

mtbr member
    sierra morena, tafoni, ecdm, and steam donkey were a little moist, but not that bad. Everything else was great. Manzanita and resolution are in awesome shape. Gordon mill is dry, but has about eleventeen million little mud slides, about half of them require dismounts.

mtbr member
    13.5 miles?? uggh

It seemed harder than the 25 miles at Ord last weekend. Its those damn gears that made things harder. It was a great ride. Thanks for the tour of the blue blossom/springboard trails.

As for skeggs itself, can definately use another week or two to dry out a bit more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the great ride. It was nice to ride with everyone.

I think the first part of the ride was:

CM02 -> Sierra Morena -> Talfoni -> part of ECdM -> Resolution (up) -> Manzanita (down)

Members who have read this thread: 0