Captain One Lung Administrator

The sickest trail I've never heard of - Trail Peek is on to something here.

Ride Foresthill? Where? Thanks to the Petersens and Stan for scouting this gem.

mtbr member
    Thatís the trail I learned how to become a good moto rider on. My grandparents have a house in Foresthill, so we rode there a lot.

I think it would be fun, but Iím still at the point of, ďwhy would I ride my mtb and have to hike-a-bike all the uphills, when I can ride my moto and cover three times the mileage and venture out twice as far, and never have to hike onceĒ.

Looks like it could get snowed out soon, but I already eyed up a route from China Wall to the Confluence. So I guess I am definitely interested...

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Thatís the trail I learned how to become a good moto rider on. My grandparents have a house in Foresthill, so we rode there a lot.

I think it would be fun, but Iím still at the point of, ďwhy would I ride my mtb and have to hike-a-bike all the uphills, when I can ride my moto and cover three times the mileage and venture out twice as far, and never have to hike onceĒ.

Looks like it could get snowed out soon, but I already eyed up a route from China Wall to the Confluence. So I guess I am definitely interested...
    Sweet! So you can lead us. I'll ride the ebike so I don't slow you down too much. Haha

mtb'er
    I can only think of about 15 people I ride with that would dig this route on an MTB... everyone else (hundreds) would be pissed at all the hike-a-bike. Once more people have ebikes, it'll be more popular for pedalers (and it is all motorized legal). Sweet terrain and bitchin' video! Just know what you're getting into before you head out there!

The sickest trail I've never heard of - Trail Peek is on to something here.-p1080079.jpg

mtbr member
    I think Georgetown is more fitting with the shuttle service

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I can only think of about 15 people I ride with that would dig this route on an MTB... everyone else (hundreds) would be pissed at all the hike-a-bike. Once more people have ebikes, it'll be more popular for pedalers (and it is all motorized legal). Sweet terrain and bitchin' video! Just know what you're getting into before you head out there!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080079.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	426.8 KB 
ID:	1231938
    Agreed. No way I could do it on a regular bike. Sorta like Georgetown but even harder.

mtbr member
    Haha trail 6 is a pretty bad ass moto trail but as mentioned the ups would blow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Haha trail 6 is a pretty bad ass moto trail but as mentioned the ups would blow!
    My thoughts as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There's a reason I live in Foresthill. The Pederson boys just reaffirmed that. They only did a fraction of trail 6. Lots more where that came from though the HAB is world class.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You do epics BECAUSE they are hard...the harder the better. This looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    Exactly. I love that G-Town is accessible to plebs like me but for those with grit there are trails like Grouse Ridge and Foresthill.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    There's a reason I live in Foresthill. The Pederson boys just reaffirmed that. They only did a fraction of trail 6. Lots more where that came from though the HAB is world class.
    As i watched their vid, I thought of you and thought ďi wonder how many times Sean has ripped this. Itís his backyard!Ē

The HAB though truly is world class lol.

Part 2 of Petersonís vid on the WST had me reminiscing about the old Tahoe-Sierra 100 MTB race and recall all the racers there bitching about how hard the HABís were. (Iím sure i was one of them too).

If there ever were routes / trails fit made for e-bike technology to make them more enjoyable for the masses, it would be these. But shit, my memory is foggy but some sections might even be unpedalable on an e-bike and I canít imagine having to HAB with one of those.

Last time I rode Trail 6 I was on my cross bike. It was terrifying lolololol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

huck to flat
    You ride it on a bike because its fun (difficult) and remote. Sometimes it's nice to test yourself and get off the beaten path. No one's stopping you from riding your moto

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    - I could not agree MORE.

As a point-to-point ride that's "epic" or whatever phrase you want to use to describe the ride, it should be hard as hell and not for everybody IMO.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post

Yes trail 6 is an old moto favorite, for good riders. Most Foresthill riders never go near trail 6.

I remember (25 years ago?) an up-slope tree 1-2 switchbacks from a creek crossing that you could not ride past. The angle you had to lean moto down slope to get handlebars past it required 2 riders to keep moto out of creek.

But only after ride leader's solo attempt tumbled into the creek. Good times! :-)

I would need a helo to get me & ebike out of there though! ;-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Iíve come across two groups of Motos on 6 coming up from the bridge. Both had lost bikes off the downhill side and were trying to figure out how to get a 300# moto up a 45 degree slope down 200í off the trail. As far as I know only one group was successful, I think one is still down there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    As i watched their vid, I thought of you and thought ďi wonder how many times Sean has ripped this. Itís his backyard!Ē

The HAB though truly is world class lol.

Part 2 of Petersonís vid on the WST had me reminiscing about the old Tahoe-Sierra 100 MTB race and recall all the racers there bitching about how hard the HABís were. (Iím sure i was one of them too).

If there ever were routes / trails fit made for e-bike technology to make them more enjoyable for the masses, it would be these. But shit, my memory is foggy but some sections might even be unpedalable on an e-bike and I canít imagine having to HAB with one of those.

Last time I rode Trail 6 I was on my cross bike. It was terrifying lolololol.

A lot of times. Usually alone though so TPís speed is impressive. No shuttle for me though, straight pedal from home. But then you probably knew that.

Lots of trails in the Sugar Pine/ China Wall area are good for bikes. 5/6 and Western States is really the shit though.

Last edited by seanallan; 1 Week Ago at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Ride Foresthill? Where? Thanks to the Petersens and Stan for scouting this gem.

FATRAC JUST hosted a ride/dig weekend on this trail 2 months ago; where were you then? 😜
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    FATRAC JUST hosted a ride/dig weekend on this trail 2 months ago; where were you then? 😜
    Hiding as usual.

Actually I think I was being carried out to sea by a legit rip current on a beach in Maui. LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Didn't lots of people ride most that route during a cross country race a few years ago all the way from Truckee? Brutal!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    Didn't lots of people ride most that route during a cross country race a few years ago all the way from Truckee? Brutal!
    Yup. Tahoe Sierra 100
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    None of the section in the video was part of the Tahoe-Sierra 100. Part 2 should have the Western States Trail portion from Deadwood to Foresthill... a short sliver of the route from Soda Springs to Auburn. RIP TS-100!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    None of the section in the video was part of the Tahoe-Sierra 100. Part 2 should have the Western States Trail portion from Deadwood to Foresthill... a short sliver of the route from Soda Springs to Auburn. RIP TS-100!
    Getting to Deadwood was actually a whole lot tougher on the TS100 and all those x/c weenies did it.

RIP TS 100

mtbr member
    That is a sick trail indeed. Natural flowing tracks with loam, sketchy rocks, Flowing single track and some chunkfest. Oh yeah! I would love to ride it. Looks like a good ride with the boys all ripping at similar speeds.
    Nice work.

I recently road Wairoa gorge bike park in NZ.
    Thats also rediculous levels of epic.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Expansion

I've ridden some of that and will ride it this year since a friend of mine wants to ride when he gets his new bike.

Sean and EB know my TS-100 story: I trained spring and summer, convinced 4 others to race it with me, and within the first 30 minutes, my rear freehub blew up. So sad. tried again the following year but Jim had to change the route and shortened it to 88 miles. Not the same. But then I raced Sean's CSTR and lived through that! I now have no fear of distance or difficulty, but I am a cautious rider and HAB as needed. Grouse ridge is still one of my favorite places for backcountry riding.

But for Trail 6 and all foresthill OHV, Tahoe NF has some future plans as shown here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=49108. Hopefully, this will happen in my lifetime.

See you on the trails! Phillip

jrm
    mtbr member

The sickest trail I've never heard of - PART II

mtbr member
    I watched part II last night. Looked freakin awesome!
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Damn. That was sick AF!! Truly an epic ride!!
    -Looked like little if any Moto use of those trails.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

President of the Internet
    Yeah, I'm pretty stoked to ride this trail. The adventure and remoteness really appeal to me. On my list, but i'm guessing the last storm we had laid some trees down and likely some snow.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Hey JC, I looked at your ride on strava and google earth. The downhills look awesome and the scenery is super. However, I have a problem with your ride. It's too far and too much climb for a 70 year old guy. Are there any good out and backs or shuttles hiding in the route? I'm good for 12 -15 miles and 2k or so of climbing. The ridge rides look delicious.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtb'er
    Some people park at Michigan Bluff and drop down to Michigan Bar (and go back up) for a short but fun ride.... others continue on to Deadwood before going back to Michigan Bluff (https://www.strava.com/activities/110774797/overview).

I haven't done it but since the above misses the Codfish ridge fun, you could do Codfish, the HAB to Deadwood, then (probably) tame dirt road back to paved road, back to start (China Wall OHV in pic). Don't quote me on that "tame" part... but it looks like minimal elevation change on topo.

The sickest trail I've never heard of - Trail Peek is on to something here.-codfish-deadwood-loop.jpg

Some people park at Michigan Bluff and drop down to Michigan Bar (and go back up) for a short but fun ride.... others continue on to Deadwood before going back to Michigan Bluff (https://www.strava.com/activities/110774797/overview).

I haven't done it but since the above misses the Codfish ridge fun, you could do Codfish, the HAB to Deadwood, then (probably) tame dirt road back to paved road, back to start (China Wall OHV in pic). Don't quote me on that "tame" part... but it looks like minimal elevation change on topo.
    I have a Preserve right there so it freaks me out to think of people trespassing. Thankfully the road/trail bypasses it by a few hundred feet. lol