Shell Ridge & Lime Ridge in Walnut Creek - legal to ride singletrack?- Mtbr.com
    Always Learning

Shell Ridge & Lime Ridge in Walnut Creek - legal to ride singletrack?

I'm out in California visiting for the weekend and have the opportunity to rent a bike tomorrow from one of the shops close to Shell Ridge and Lime Ridge in the East Bay Area (Walnut Creek).

Are these areas legal to ride a mountain bike? I was confused if these open spaces are or are not okay to ride on the singletrack as the LBS employees mentioned something about legal and not legal - and everybody does it type of stuff.

I don't want to ruffle any rules or feathers, but would like to get a good 2-3 hour+ ride in tomorrow.

TIA

Ride More - Suffer Less
    The fun stuff is not...tommarrow on a holiday weekend probably not the best time to test it. You need a guide. For 2-3 hours probably head to Diablo you can connect some fun legal ST.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    The fun stuff is not...tommarrow on a holiday weekend probably not the best time to test it. You need a guide. For 2-3 hours probably head to Diablo you can connect some fun legal ST.
    Thanks. Makes sense there will be lots of other trail users out there with the mild temperatures and holiday weekend.

I'll check out Diablo...

NSM
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You can park at Indian Valley school and legally ride shell ridge up to the Diablo trails.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by NSM View Post
    You can park at Indian Valley school and legally ride shell ridge up to the Diablo trails.

NSM
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Could also ride Crockett Hills. Nearby and more bike focused trails. That's where I'd go. I used to live near Shell Ridge and often went to Crockett.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I'm out in California visiting for the weekend and have the opportunity to rent a bike tomorrow from one of the shops close to Shell Ridge and Lime Ridge in the East Bay Area (Walnut Creek).

Are these areas legal to ride a mountain bike? I was confused if these open spaces are or are not okay to ride on the singletrack as the LBS employees mentioned something about legal and not legal - and everybody does it type of stuff.

I don't want to ruffle any rules or feathers, but would like to get a good 2-3 hour+ ride in tomorrow.

TIA
    I've ridden shell ridge singletrack for the last 30 years and never been busted. It's walnut creek open space. unlike places such as oakland and berkeley, hikers in walnut creek aren't angry communists or social justice warriors - and are actually very friendly. just say hi and wish them well and they'll do the same.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by NSM View Post
    Could also ride Crockett Hills. Nearby and more bike focused trails. That's where I'd go. I used to live near Shell Ridge and often went to Crockett.
    Excellent suggestion and within a short driving distance. Recent reviews say it is pretty torn up and overgrown. So we shall see where I ride today.

I'm downloading the MTB Project trails for the area right now before heading to the LBS to pick up the rental.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I've ridden shell ridge singletrack for the last 30 years and never been busted. It's walnut creek open space. unlike places such as oakland and berkeley, hikers in walnut creek aren't angry communists or social justice warriors - and are actually very friendly. just say hi and wish them well and they'll do the same.
    I'll be friendly, no matter where I end up. Great weather today, so I expect to see lots of trail users (maybe I can hook up with somebody and follow along)...

Always Learning
    I'll be friendly, no matter where I end up. Great weather today, so I expect to see lots of trail users (maybe I can hook up with somebody and follow along)...
    Thanks all for the guidance above. I picked up the Yeti rental and headed out from the parking lot near Sweet Affair Bakery. After about 37 minutes of climbing, I stopped for a 3 minute rest to figure out where I was before moving on from there...

I got my two hours in and remained "legal" even though I saw plenty of opportunity along the way to stray from the legal trails.

I have no issue riding doubletrack/fire roads - especially with all the nice climbing I enjoyed today. I've got singletrack coming out my ears back home, so it was nice to take on the open vistas and climbs on a relatively mild day weather wise.

I would absolutely use these trails again, or if I lived out here for the cardio work out compared to grinding out on blacktop on the road bike. You all are very fortunate to have these open spaces to ride. Odd that I have never ridden Lime or Shell or Diablo on a mountain bike in all the years I have visited our here. Even when I lived in Walnut Creek (moved away in 1995), I never rode out there. Glad I found these for the future.

There were a lot of people out enjoying the trails today.

Most dogs were off leash, there were horses on trails not open to horses, and so I think I now understand the general tone of using that space and why some mention they do venture off of the 8 foot wide trails. Regardless, as an out of stater just visiting I stuck to the allowed bike trails as I was just out to keep my conditioning topped off.

I wanted to go another hour or more, but I needed to wrap it up and help bring my father-in-law home from John Muir by 2 pm.

Now, back to flatter terrain in the Midwest with tomorrow's flight...

Crazed Country Rebel
    Thanks all for the guidance above. I picked up the Yeti rental and headed out from the parking lot near Sweet Affair Bakery. After about 37 minutes of climbing, I stopped for a 3 minute rest to figure out where I was before moving on from there...

I got my two hours in and remained "legal" even though I saw plenty of opportunity along the way to stray from the legal trails.

I have no issue riding doubletrack/fire roads - especially with all the nice climbing I enjoyed today. I've got singletrack coming out my ears back home, so it was nice to take on the open vistas and climbs on a relatively mild day weather wise.

I would absolutely use these trails again, or if I lived out here for the cardio work out compared to grinding out on blacktop on the road bike. You all are very fortunate to have these open spaces to ride. Odd that I have never ridden Lime or Shell or Diablo on a mountain bike in all the years I have visited our here. Even when I lived in Walnut Creek (moved away in 1995), I never rode out there. Glad I found these for the future.

There were a lot of people out enjoying the trails today.

Most dogs were off leash, there were horses on trails not open to horses, and so I think I now understand the general tone of using that space and why some mention they do venture off of the 8 foot wide trails. Regardless, as an out of stater just visiting I stuck to the allowed bike trails as I was just out to keep my conditioning topped off.

I wanted to go another hour or more, but I needed to wrap it up and help bring my father-in-law home from John Muir by 2 pm.

Now, back to flatter terrain in the Midwest with tomorrow's flight...
    think we passed you going the other way, just before noon. There's actually quite a bit of singletrack in shellridge. ping me if you want info.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    think we passed you going the other way, just before noon. There's actually quite a bit of singletrack in shellridge. ping me if you want info.
    Will do next time I'm out (which may not be too long from now based on the health of my father-in-law).

BB