Shady trails near Palo Alto?- Mtbr.com
    Save Jesus

Shady trails near Palo Alto?

Looking for shady trails near Palo Alto. ECDM is out because it takes me 40 minutes to drive there. Saratoga Gap is about a 30 minute drive, so barely tolerable. I liked the actual Saratoga Gap trail, but once it crossed over Skyline into Long Ridge, it sucked because I spent my time on an open trail under the hot sun, with nothing but yellow grass on both sides, going up and down rolling hills.

mtbr member
    Why not ride to the gap from near Palo Alto??

This loop will give you the most tree cover possible in that area and still have a bit of pedaling..

Park at the Bottom of Alpine road..near Frog Pond Park just before Willowbrook Drive. Ride up Alpine paved road till it turns to dirt>> Over into Montebello> Up Charcoal> either do the GAP out and back to 9, or turn R on the Gap trail> over to Long Ridge >> but right to Peter's Creek (in the trees) follow the ridge trails till you West Alpine > turn right crossing Skyline and back down Alpine.

There are tons of ways to continue, Cloulds rest, Crazy Pete's, Windy Hill can all be added, but this will give you the most tree cover per mile in that area..
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Too bad Arastradero is open in the sun 100% of the time, that is right behind Stanford.

Otherwise, do Alpine road. It turns into dirt and is shaded for the most part. Tons of mosquitos though.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    If you're fair skinned, it's not really much fun being in the sun all the time. I totally get what he's saying.

How is it taking you 40 minutes to get up there?

mtbr member
    yabut the connector between Skyline and Peter's Creek loop is pretty dang short. Doing a couple loop ride, you are exposed for about 10% of the time. And as the beaver pointed out, its a pretty nice and scenice break.

If driving to ECDM is too much (25 minutes from downtown PA without traffic) then he should get used to the sun and ride at Arastradero. he could do the stuff in Stevens Canyon also.

Save Jesus
    What is this 25 minute route to ECDM?
    It takes me about 5 minutes to 280
    20 minutes up page mill
    10-15 minutes along skyline

The other route using King's Mountain road or 84 take even longer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Take 280 to Sand Hill road, take the second right (Portola road), and that connects to 84 in about half a mile - completely bypassing Woodside.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That's the route I drive from near downtown PA (Sand Hill to Portola), and it takes 35 min for me to get to Skeggs.

Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel
    Take 280 to Sand Hill road, take the second right (Portola road), and that connects to 84 in about half a mile - completely bypassing Woodside.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    darn, I thought you were talking about trails on the east side.

You really need to get to know the Saratoga Gap - Montebello network. Peter's Creek Loop, Canyon trail, white oak, Alpine trail. Start at Alpine road or Page Mill &35 to shorten the commute.

Plus the rolling hills are 'golden grass fields' according to my daughter. The weather is sooo mild that sun is kind of needed on those hills.

fc

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by diver160651

Park at the Bottom of Alpine road..near Frog Pond Park just before Willowbrook Drive. Ride up Alpine paved road till it turns to dirt>> Over into Montebello> Up Charcoal> either do the GAP out and back to 9, or turn R on the Gap trail> over to Long Ridge >> but right to Peter's Creek (in the trees) follow the ridge trails till you West Alpine > turn right crossing Skyline and back down Alpine.

Wait... I got lost. Where is Charcoal?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    not to complain, but I agree that parched dried out landscapes aren't my thing either. Skeggs is plenty moist with mud puddles and tree rain all summer sometimes. Coming from the Pacific North West, anything much east of HWY 101 in California seems so deserty.

It's the axle
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    darn, I thought you were talking about trails on the east side.

You really need to get to know the Saratoga Gap - Montebello network. Peter's Creek Loop, Canyon trail, white oak, Alpine trail. Start at Alpine road or Page Mill &35 to shorten the commute.

Plus the rolling hills are 'golden grass fields' according to my daughter. The weather is sooo mild that sun is kind of needed on those hills.

fc

I'd love to take that down Repack.

Everything about that is so right. Even a mural. Nothing says "bling" like a gold plated bash guard. However, I should point out that it needs at least four times the number of spokes.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

Save Jesus
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Today I rode up Alpine the road. It was very demoralizing when using fat tires at low psi. Then I saw that there was parking available at the end, right near the trailhead. Why the F did I bother riding up the road?

Then I rode up the trail. It was a very long and also demoralizing uphill with flies constantly in my face.

Then I rode While Oak Trail. That was pretty nice, except that I had to shortcut back onto Skyline because it was starting to get dark.

Need I mention that riding on Skyline with knobbies was also demoralizing?

Riding Alpine back down was nice.

At least the majority of the ride was shaded and cool.

Next time, I think I will just drive up Page Mill and start riding around there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    . Then I saw that there was parking available at the end, right near the trailhead. Why the F did I bother riding up the road?

Need I mention that riding on Skyline with knobbies was also demoralizing?

Next time, I think I will just drive up Page Mill and start riding around there.
    Sorry that it was a drag on the street. Your Pavement to dirt ratio would have shot way up, if you dropped over the hill and included MB,GAP and the other ridge Open Space trails.

The Parking at the top is often full after work.. so thats not a place you can count on.

Again, I apologize if the road parts are a drag. Since I ride my F/S from Belmont to any trail I ride on the Peninsula (WD, Purisima, Skeggs, MB, GAP, St.Joe, Fremont Alder and once in a while Demo) I forget that some really hate any pavement sections.

I guess it is weird to dress like a flamingo in lycra on my F/S MTB. But, other than my shoes my MTB, the kit is basically the same PV as I use on the road bike. So maybe I don't get the demoralizing part? I'm to far gone...

The workout, isn't that what some of riding is about? The climbs and hard pushes are were you'll get fitter, road or dirt. The more you do it, the more you'll enjoy the fitness it delivers.

Sorry if I gave you a bad suggestion.
    Last edited by diver160651; 09-17-2010 at 07:53 AM.
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

Save Jesus
    I was being a bit facetious about the demoralizing part, but my new setup seems to have way more road rolling resistance than before. It is kind of discouraging to pedal and then quickly coast to a stop because your tires are buzzing. If I rode the same road sections on my slicks, I would have enjoyed them.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Pump your tires up before a long road slag, deflate them to taste before mtb / DH. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Why the F did I bother riding up the road?
    Because you need the exercise.

I hear that the Continental Race Kings are decent on pavement even at lower pressures. But as J suggested, pump up your tires to a higher PSI and then deflate it when the pavement ends.

Feral Roadie

Then I rode up the trail. It was a very long and also demoralizing uphill with flies constantly in my face.
    You're lucky you didn't get passed by the old dude on his road bike. That's demoralizing.

That guy rides up Alpine all the time on his huge yellow bike.

_ Booker C. Bense

It's the axle
    I used to live in Palo Alto. A good ride is Foothill expressway to Stevens Canyon, up over the trail behind Black Mountain, bow down to the greatness of the KFJC radio station antenna, out to Page Mill, and back to Palo Alto.

That is a lot of asphalt. But it makes you superior for having not gotten in a deathmobile.

sftrydr
    [QUOTE=bbense]You're lucky you didn't get passed by the old dude on his road bike. That's demoralizing.

His name is Jobst Brandt, The huge yellow road bike is a custom made Ritchey.
    Don't get into a conversation w him, unless you have quite a bit of time on your hands:

http://yarchive.net/bike/index.html

It's the axle
    [QUOTE=ssulljm]
    Quote Originally Posted by bbense
    You're lucky you didn't get passed by the old dude on his road bike. That's demoralizing.

His name is Jobst Brandt, The huge yellow road bike is a custom made Ritchey.
    Don't get into a conversation w him, unless you have quite a bit of time on your hands:

http://yarchive.net/bike/index.html

ARGH! The last time I spoke with Jobst was nearly ten years ago. I've been wracking my brain to remember his name. Thanks!

I used to see him when I rode down there in the 70's. He's an icon of our sport, and yet not many people realize it.

Members who have read this thread: 0