Sequoia/Kings Canyon???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sequoia/Kings Canyon???

Thinking of a camping trip in July. Any good riding in this area? Something like Hole in the ground or Stanford rock in the Tahoe area.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by LMays
    Thinking of a camping trip in July. Any good riding in this area? Something like Hole in the ground or Stanford rock in the Tahoe area.
    We camped out there two years ago. After talking to several Kings Canyon rangers that said, "You can take the fire road out and back, but that's about it" we felt pretty discouraged. There was a fairly nice single track you could ride from the Christian campground (I forget the name of the campground). They have a bunch of land around a little lake. It's also the only place where you can get gas out there. The trail was flat and semi-sandy. After heading out two miles we got freaked out and turned around. We got to a point where we saw no bike or hiker tracks, only large paw prints from bears or mountain lions.

Sequoia was a little better. There are a bunch of jeep roads you can ride on. We didn't encounter any single track, but the jeep roads were OK. Keep your eye out for the lookout tower out there. It's a tower on top of a huge rock. You can ride you bike up to it, but you'll have to leave it at the bottom while you climb 172 stairs to get to the top. The view from there is friggin amazing. You can see everything 360' around. People live there 24/7 and sit on chairs with glass feet so they don't get killed by lightning.
    AH HA! found some info on it:
    http://www.buckrock.org/

Some of the park operators were bikers, and basically said the best riding is the jeep trails.

-Dan

Over the Hill
    Was there late fall, it is a nice area just not a great biking area. There is a section of National Forest between Kings Canyon National Park and Sequioa National Park that may have trails...I could not find any.

No bikes on the trails in National Parks. The Buck Rock Area is your best bet for biking. Go out to the End of The Road and hike, climb Moro Rock, check the big tress out and as suggested ride to Buck Rock Lookout.

If you want good riding, head to Kernville.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

You may find some more info under "Forum and Chat" here:

http://www.spatdog.com/

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As others have noted in this thread, there is no legal single track in the National Parks. But there is Sequoia national Fest next door and Kernville. but that is also an incredibly beautiful area.

That Christian camp is the only place to buy gas on the road in and out of Kings Cayon, but last I heard, they don't sell beer, so pack accordingly.

And those big tracks on the jeep road? A friend of mine was staying at a cabin up there about 10 years ago and heard the screen door open and her toddler say "doggie!" She turned around and there was a bear pushed halfway through the door. She screamed and the bear split

loopy counter

Sequoia, Kings Canyon

The camp in question is "Hume Lake Christian Camps". Hosts a thousand kids a week in the summer. The nice thing about the lake is it has a beach, and descent swimming as there are no motor boats allowed.

I've done my share of exploring the area. Like others said, there are lots of fire roads to explore, but very little single track. Used to be you could ride the Boole Tree trail, but that got closed long ago. There are some lightly travelled trails that would be perfect for rides, except for the legal status.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah, that's the place. Wow, a thousand kids a week - that's amazing!

mtbr member
    Thank you ALL for the info. It all sounds nice, but I think Mammoth is more up my alley. I hate to haul the airstream that far for only fire roads. It Maybe better for just a hike trip.(no bikes to resist the urge!).Hope the snow is gone by the end of July.

Over the Hill
    If you have never seen the big trees it is a must do.

I was in Mammoth the July 24-29th last year. Although the resort said the mountain was open to biking, the stuff I wanted to ride on the back side like Seven Bridges was still closed due to snow....and they have had more snow this year.

mtbr member

I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by LMays
    Thank you ALL for the info. It all sounds nice, but I think Mammoth is more up my alley. I hate to haul the airstream that far for only fire roads. It Maybe better for just a hike trip.(no bikes to resist the urge!).Hope the snow is gone by the end of July.
    2006 USA CYCLING MOUNTAIN BIKE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS TO BE RELOCATED
    Contact: Andy Lee (Tel.) 719.866.4867 (Mobile) 719.231.2041 (E-mail) [email protected] Website: www.usacycling.org
    Colorado Springs, Colo. (May 2, 2006) - Due to massive snowfall on Mammoth Mountain this winter, USA Cycling will be relocating its 2006 Mountain Bike National Championships scheduled for July 20-23.
    After a record 664 inches of snow fell this season, Mammoth Mountain has reported a base depth of nearly 20 feet as of May 1 - a figure that ultimately put the resort's ability to host a national championship-caliber event in jeopardy.
    "Looking at our snowpack today, I can confidently say we are unable to host a mountain bike event to the quality we are all accustomed to,"commented Bill Cockroft, senior vice president of operations at Mammoth Mountain. "It was a difficult decision, but ultimately we believe we owe it to the mountain bike community to make sure the event continues at the level and standards expected by USA Cycling."
    USA Cycling is currently negotiating with several venues to replace Mammoth Mountain and a decision is expected to be announced shortly. We will send out an announcement email when a venue is finalized.
    The dates of the 2006 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships will remain unchanged.

mtbr member
    Maybe It's back to Tahoe this summer!

mtbr member
    OT from original thread, but hey Pacman-- We're planning to take a women's mtb group to Mammoth 1st weekend in August. Do you think we'll at least have the lower mountain trails available plus Inyo loop etc.? Most of us are Beginner-Intermediate
    anyway and I can't imagine we'll be spending much time up top.

Members who have read this thread: 0