September 30th races... choices, choices...- Mtbr.com
    mtb'er

September 30th races... choices, choices...

September 30th is going to wrap up my race season... now, which race to do... For the racers on here, which one are you doing?

Ride The Gorge
    -- I really like the Royal Gorge area and Jimmy's events.

Whiskeytown Classic
    -- Is this "Lemurian Lite"? I do like the trails there, as well as Vic's events. I wish it wasn't so far from Sac though.

Tamarancho Dirt Classic
    -- I dig Tamarancho, but is it a cluster for passing?

We are spoiled by so many mt. bike races in NorCal .

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Tamarancho. You are right that passing will be difficult on much of the course. I'm going because it is local, fun, and to support the NICA/NorCal high school racing community (my son races for Berkeley High).

I had never heard about Ride the Gorge and didn't know we could ride there (I have only been there for XC skiing in the winter).

my body breaks the falls
    Ride the Gorge. Northy is awesome and has earned our continued support. Plus there's always beer
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Only ridden Tamarancho once but it seems like a terrible place to race.

Whiskeytown is too far away and the 2011 attendance doesn't make the 3+ hour drive seem worth it.

Gorge would be the most likely one for me.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Gorge
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Gorge
    ^^^THIS^^^

For these reasons..............

Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Ride the Gorge. Northy is awesome and has earned our continued support. Plus there's always beer
    Northey has been doing a great job with putting on great events. He and his race series deserve our support.
    And Royal Gorge is a great venue.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Yes!!

There is a about 10 of us coming from Santa Rosa area and another 12 riders from the Nor -Cal High school teams from and around the bay area. We always have a great time at the Global events.

mtbr member

Park City Point 2 Point

I have been wanting to do the Park City Point to Point for a few years, and this is finally the year. 80 miles of Rocky Mountain single track. I don't think you can beat it.

Race report to follow.

Park City Point To Point

Edit: Just caught that I was a month off there. Thinking nada for 9/30. Time to rest, drink beer, sit on the couch and maybe watch some football.
    Last edited by EBrider; 08-19-2012 at 10:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    Thinking nada for 9/30. Time to rest, drink beer, sit on the couch and maybe watch some football.

This sounds like my strategy. Mostly the beer drinking part.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think I'm going to do Tamarancho. It's been since 2009! I was thinking Whiskeytown earlier in the season but now when I look at Sept 30th, my motivation will be close to 0 and definately don't want to drive and camp/hotel up there the night before.

Maybe I will just volunteer at Tamarancho, tired of paying for race registrations LOL. I'm close to 1.5k for the year!
    Berkeley Bicycle Club (BBC) - http://berkeleybike.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post
    I think I'm going to do Tamarancho. It's been since 2009! I was thinking Whiskeytown earlier in the season but now when I look at Sept 30th, my motivation will be close to 0 and definately don't want to drive and camp/hotel up there the night before.
    Keep in mind that there's FREE camping right at the venue the night before. You can wake up in your tent/vehicle just 50 yards from the start/finish.
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 08-21-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Keep in mind that there's FREE camping right at the venue the night before. You can wake up in our tent/vehicle just 50 yards from the start/finish.
    That's a plus. Thanks for the heads up.

Also I know it's not Sept 30th but same weekend.

On the 29th there is the Nevada City Dirt Classic XC Mountain Bike Racing Series in Nevada City, CA | Youth Bicyclists of Nevada County
    Berkeley Bicycle Club (BBC) - http://berkeleybike.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    wow, thats a busy weekend. bay area super prestige #1 is that day too. we're lucky to have so many events, but I am beginning to wonder how much racing norcal can support. i guess its tough since there isn't a central sanctioning body and everyone is kind of doing their own thing in regards to scheduling.

I did the nevada city race last sunday, and it was a really fun event.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtb'er
    Ride the Gorge for the win!

Jim/Global Biorhythm Events just announced he's dropped the price for his end-of-year race at Soda Springs/Royal Gorge to only $15 per racer.

Email him at [email protected] to sign up... provide name/team name, age and racing category. Those that "pre-reg" will pay $15 cash when you get there. If you sign up the day of the race, it's $25. Cash only.

Free beer, chip timing, awards, aid station. Deal of the year!!

Info here: Global Biorhythm Events ...but register via email to Jim at the above address.

Thanks GBE!

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    What he said ^^^^
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by uncreative View Post
    wow, thats a busy weekend. bay area super prestige #1 is that day too. we're lucky to have so many events, but I am beginning to wonder how much racing norcal can support. i guess its tough since there isn't a central sanctioning body and everyone is kind of doing their own thing in regards to scheduling.

I did the nevada city race last sunday, and it was a really fun event.
    NorCal is a big place with lots of riders. How many of these events depend somewhat on people making long trips to attend, vs being nearly entirely comprised of very local riders?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    NorCal is a big place with lots of riders. How many of these events depend somewhat on people making long trips to attend, vs being nearly entirely comprised of very local riders?
    For these bigger weekend events it seems to be a combination of both locals and long distance racers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Ride the Gorge for the win!

Jim/Global Biorhythm Events just announced he's dropped the price for his end-of-year race at Soda Springs/Royal Gorge to only $15 per racer.

Email him at [email protected] to sign up... provide name/team name, age and racing category. Those that "pre-reg" will pay $15 cash when you get there. If you sign up the day of the race, it's $25. Cash only.

Free beer, chip timing, awards, aid station. Deal of the year!!

Info here: Global Biorhythm Events ...but register via email to Jim at the above address.

Thanks GBE!
    Its free now.

Probably too many events that weekend. Levi's Gran Fondo is also on the 29th. Granted its road, with 15,000 riders I am sure it takes a few riders away that might otherwise do one of these events.

mtbr member
    Its free now.

Probably too many events that weekend. Levi's Gran Fondo is also on the 29th. Granted its road, with 15,000 riders I am sure it takes a few riders away that might otherwise do one of these events.
    Its still not really free. Jimmy is looking for $15 per racer to cover the cost of using the resort.
    But still, its a 50 mile (option) mtn bike race in the Sierras at a great venue for only $15. I'll pay that any time. I think I'm in for the two lap sport race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Its still not really free. Jimmy is looking for $15 per racer to cover the cost of using the resort.
    But still, its a 50 mile (option) mtn bike race in the Sierras at a great venue for only $15. I'll pay that any time. I think I'm in for the two lap sport race.
    Hopefully he gets the Cool location back. That's an easy day trip from the Bay Area, Soda Springs is an overnight. Much bigger time and $$ commitment regardless of the entry fee.

mtbr member
    Hopefully he gets the Cool location back. That's an easy day trip from the Bay Area, Soda Springs is an overnight. Much bigger time and $$ commitment regardless of the entry fee.
    Soda springs is far better than Cool could ever hope to be.
    I think Cool is done for Jimmy's races. I doubt he will ever host another race there.

mtbr member
    One more race to consider for Sept 30th US 24hr National Championships.

I don't care about the fact that its in Colorado. This will draw racers away from northern California races.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any chance of camping at the Royal Gorge race?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    One more race to consider for Sept 30th US 24hr National Championships.

I don't care about the fact that its in Colorado. This will draw racers away from northern California races.
    Maybe it's too early... But there's hardly anyone at all from anywhere signed up for that. Seems like for an event that requires so much advance planning and training there would be more signed up by now?

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    I emailed Jimmy about signing up for the Ride The Gorge race.
    He replied says that he canceled the race due to lack of interest. A free race with free beer was not enough incentive for people.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    What a shame. I wasn't going to be able to make it to Royal Gorge this year but hopefully there is a race there next year.

mtbr member
    First time racer, will stick with the local one - Tamarancho. Just FYI to those still undecided, today ( Sept 26, Wed) is the last day to register.

Members who have read this thread: 0