September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories

It's a full moon on Friday the 13th! This will not happen again for 30 years.

ET Tree on the way home tonight.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_2668.jpg  

mtbr member
    Heat warnings. Hot, hot, and more hot. Rode today when it was 95. Not recommended, but wasn't too bad.

mtbr member
    Rest day. Had an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion. Have guests from the UK in today, so saved my energy for drinking and socializing. Several bottles of irreplaceable high end beers were consumed:

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-b2bada26-19a1-4e70-9e06-1a26f723763a.jpeg

Ended the night planning a trip for a private yacht in Greece. It starts with the crazy idea of ďwhat if...Ē
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Up In Smoke
    Smoke in the air? My roommate noticed some bad air quality but I didn't, and the sky is clear as far as I can tell. This popped up when I was searching the forecast on the weather channel app. Anyone else notice poor air quality? Monterey/Santa Cruz....

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-polution.jpg

mtbr member
    New Bike Day! 2019 Canyon Strive CF 8.0.

This thing is sweet. Only was able to do a neighborhood ride, but will put it through its paces tomorrow locally. Iím stoked!

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-27ab5ef8-87da-4c17-aedb-9bcbe0f47cdd.jpeg

(Clack Mode aka DH mode)
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Formerly dvo
    New bike weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    New bike weekend!

I think I just drolled on my keyboard...
    Sexy bike.

mtbr member
    We woke up early last Wednesday in our camp outside the June Loop. A quick breakfast, a big coffee, and a drive into mammoth lakes and the mammoth mountain bike park.

I do this every September. I can't even tell you how much it cost for the ticket because I really didn't care. Five lift rides, three to the top, and I was pretty much finished. Then, I rode downtown trail to the earthquake faults where my wife was waiting with the camper and a nice cold beer.

How was it? Awesome. A total blast. And lots of other superlatives, as usual. I think that at 71 I was the oldest dude on the mountain and I was a little slower than most other folks, at least uphill. I live at 60 feet above sea level - Mammoth is high.

The trails are beyond great. Northstar is a downhill resort - I'm an XC type and the endless high intermediate trails at Mammoth are beyond great. The rest of the week, my thighs reminded me with lactic acid that I usually ride uphill for three hours, and downhill for only about 45 minutes!

Thursday and Friday? Paddle the south tufa on Mono lake from Navy beach on thurs, then the other, much better, tufa area on friday. Glassy surface, great temps, and my lover. Who could ask for more!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Rode Martis, Tahoe Donner, Downieville, Mills Peak, and the new TAMBA Stanford Rock trail this week. There goes my hall pass for the year.

mtbr member
    2days at Nstar. Great weather and not bad dust wise...last visit of the year..

Testing out a Ohlins TTX air from fullflow suspension

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

SOG
    mtbr member

Good weekend one day on the dj bikes one day on the big bikes

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Drizzling now in San Jose!!!!!!!!!!! So unreal for September.

I rode solo in Santa Cruz like a sad panda. But when i ride solo, it's really a strange dynamic since I can hang out with anyone. And maybe i'm more approachable.

I joined 3 groups and got a bunch of number/emails of folks to ride with in the future. I met iliveonnitro too. Really an unexpected but amazing experience.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    oh and i flew down to Socal as my son's team was honored by the Anaheim Angels for their D3 National Championship.September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_0704.jpg

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_3958.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Looks like it rained enough in SF last night to actually give some nice pretty nice dirt! Any rain in Santa Cruz? Anywhere else?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Looks like it rained enough in SF last night to actually give some nice pretty nice dirt! Any rain in Santa Cruz? Anywhere else?
    This looks like the main front with Demo and SC right at the tip of it. Anything on Skyline blvd will be nice and wet. Pretty good rain here in West San Ho.

Looks like Tahoe and Downieville will get something real good!!!September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-screen-shot-2019-09-16-9.49.17-am.png
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Rode Joaquin Miller Park after sunset last night. First night ride in a while. It was a bit trippy descending Cinderella into a beam of light that was mostly being scattered by heavy fog blowing up the hill.

A half inch of rain fell there over night. The ground just drank it up. It'll probably help a lot with the dust though.

fc
    Report card says get out there in the next 24 hours.September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-70161087_2998631456878857_423808127020826624_n-1-.jpg

Hopefully Downieville and Tahoe will get something substantial.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Been raining hard here in Truckee for an hour. The rain has changed over to snow now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Report card says get out there in the next 24 hours.

Hopefully Downieville and Tahoe will get something substantial.
    0.20" at Demo today. So unless you are there now, I don't think it will make much difference in the woods by tomorrow.

mtbr member
    It rained pretty good in SJ, but don't think any hero dirt will appear in south bay trails. Dry ground seemed to soak up the water like a sponge. Perhaps Skeggs might get tacky.

mtbr member
    Rained here this morning, but the local trail was dry by the time I got to it for a lunch ride. Took the Strive out for its maiden voyage. Radically different feel and ride than my Farley EX 8. The thinner tires and lighter / more poppy ride going to take some time to get used to! Weather was absolutely perfect:

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-37b01fbf-17f4-41be-93b5-ec3586889985.jpeg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Moderator Moderator

Skeggs is perfect. A little rain and a little tree pee. Tacky.

MidPen did a great job on Oljon. Itís a bit ledgy in some spots, keep your eyes and ears open.

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Drizzling now in San Jose!!!!!!!!!!! So unreal for September.

I rode solo in Santa Cruz like a sad panda. But when i ride solo, it's really a strange dynamic since I can hang out with anyone. And maybe i'm more approachable.

I joined 3 groups and got a bunch of number/emails of folks to ride with in the future. I met iliveonnitro too. Really an unexpected but amazing experience.

fc
    Woohoo, good to meet you! Let me know when you want me to ditch work during the week to ride . Weekends are almost always open, too!

Moderator Moderator
    New telescoping fishing pole for MTB fishing. Amazing how compact and light these are, easily fits in a CamelBak and weighs about 1.5lbs with reel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone ride demo during the week now that they are actually working out there on the fuel abatement? I was there over the weekend and saw the sign stating that Aptos Road is closed until 4:00pm on weekdays. That would be ok for an after work ride if I want to head up Cussacks to Ridge.

mtbr member

Kernville - Cannell Trail is Truly Epic!

Had an awesome weekend in Kernville.

Cannell trail was amazing; lived up to it's reputation, though it was DRY and HOT out there!

Lots of friendly people riding Saturday, and the Mountain and River Adventures folks were great (shuttle and campground).

We hit Just Outstanding on Sunday, was a really great ride too!

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_7649.jpg
    September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_7650.jpg

Shout out to fc who planted the seed in my head to take a weekend out and make a trip down there. Thanks so much for the tip! Was definitely worth the time!

mtbr member

Tahoe is dialed again

mtbr member
    Can report that Pacifica / Montara were really good this morning - my guess is that it won't last long though

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just enough rain in Santa Cruz to wash away the smell of homeless piss in the streets.

(no longer) The Jeans Guy
    Sep 2007
    There were a few puddles in Almaden Quicksilver Park, but no signs up announcing closure to cyclists. Someone must have been asleep at the wheel.

Up In Smoke
    Got a good ride in yesterday at Fort Ord but the rain didn't help much. Still loose and sandy just how I like it. Only saw one other biker, a 77 year old man not on an ebike

fc
    Saratoga Gap was divine yesterday.

Skeggs and Demo were off the chain according to reports. Today may be the final day for the prime.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    New telescoping fishing pole for MTB fishing. Amazing how compact and light these are, easily fits in a CamelBak and weighs about 1.5lbs with reel.
    Nice. I do a lot of MTB fishing as well. Those rods are nice because they are so compact and light, but mine broke. Now I'm using a 6-piece graphite rod (from Amazon) which is really nice. Excellent action and compact, but takes longer to setup.

mtbr member
    Have quite a few people coming out for a group ride locally, many first timers. As a result, I got up at 6AM and hiked out to fix the bridge (one of the planks was broke and jagged near the end, done), cut / rake a few sections of weeds, and give the half pipe a much needed tune-up. Still need to do some digging on it to get it to perfect, but it will work for this afternoon's ride!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Looks sweet Jib!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post

Nice! Where did you get it? I need to get something like that for backpacking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Nice! Where did you get it? I need to get something like that for backpacking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Everything was dry this morning but the air was so cool and nice

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thank you, sir.

Moderator Moderator
    Skeggs winter lenses. $15 Galvanic clear lenses for Oakley Jawbreakers.

mtb'er
    El Dorado Hills weather report for 9/18:

Wednesday
    A chance of showers, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 11am. High near 72. South southeast wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Wednesday Night
    A 30 percent chance of showers before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 55. South southwest wind 6 to 8 mph becoming southeast after midnight.

Sorry... no screen captures of the weather report.

Go get sum hero dirt Thursday!!!

mtbr member
    Saratoga Gap was divine yesterday.

Skeggs and Demo were off the chain according to reports. Today may be the final day for the prime.
    How bad is the poison oak? Still overgrown? The last time I was there, some sections only had about two feet of trail showing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Group ride of 8 of us mostly locals. Everything was great ... until it wasnít. Came in too hot on the Half Pipe wasnít quite in tune with new bike and OTB and broke my collarbone in three places. Going to surgeon at 2:30 pm today. Thanks for the help on the way out guys!

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-8720e7a0-628d-4574-8b36-098cc642f116.jpg

Going to be a bit before I can ride / dig again. I keep replaying it in my mind. So bummed
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Group ride of 8 of us mostly locals. Everything was great ... until it wasnít. Came in too hot on the Half Pipe wasnít quite in tune with new bike and OTB and broke my collarbone in three places. Going to surgeon at 2:30 pm today. Thanks for the help on the way out guys!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8720E7A0-628D-4574-8B36-098CC642F116.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	1280135

Going to be a bit before I can ride / dig again. I keep replaying it in my mind. So bummed
    buddy!!!!!!

That is not good. You are the inspiration for the rest of us here to get out and seize the trail.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by yetilicious View Post
    How bad is the poison oak? Still overgrown? The last time I was there, some sections only had about two feet of trail showing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The poison oak on all singletrack is pretty bad. The moisture weighs them down too and makes them hang on to the trail.

The only piece of good news is it's late in the season and the plants are pretty dry.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Demo Forest was insane!!!!! .2 inch at the bottom of flow and perhaps a .5 inch up top. Since it's not too hot, the moisture is lasting. Hero up top, not dusty at the bottom. Gotta get there today though.

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-70420068_10157387623843213_9125438183981449216_o.jpg

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-71497121_10157387623798213_6341756500897169408_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator

You're a tough guy, I bet you'll be out there digging with one hand in a couple days! Heal up!

More pie please

Damn! Sorry to read this. Wishing you a full recovery,

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Oh no, roughster! That sucks man. Who is your carrier? If Kaiser, check out Dan Kemper in Walnut Creek. He's a buddy of mine and a phenomenal ortho. Bikes, skis, etc.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    A little hero with the pooch, a lot of leaves, and a cat.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice!

I may head down there this morning.

Is the back way still closed due to the fire work? If not, Demo for me. If closed, maybe UC.

Demo Forest was insane!!!!! .2 inch at the bottom of flow and perhaps a .5 inch up top. Since it's not too hot, the moisture is lasting. Hero up top, not dusty at the bottom. Gotta get there today though.

Name:	70420068_10157387623843213_9125438183981449216_o.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	663.4 KB 
ID:	1280141

Name:	71497121_10157387623798213_6341756500897169408_o.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	421.5 KB 
ID:	1280143

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Roughster, yikes. Sorry to see that. Heal fast and well.

mtbr member
    As I sit here on the couch reliving it over and over, I figure thereís a lesson learned in this for me, and probably others. Here were the watch outs (many) that I didnít listen to:

1- Work got crazy, and I was feeling the ride needed to go fast as I needed to go back to work after the ride to finish a report. I was stressing all day about whether I shouldíve cancelled it.

2- My initial plan was to show 2-3 guys the trail. Through email and text, the number grew to 8 new riders. I was feeling pressure to make it a fast ride. That is 100% on me. Everyone was super cool.

3 - I got my new bike up and running on Monday. I had one short test run and knew I needed to do some tweaking. I knew I shouldíve stuck with the bike I was comfortable on, especially knowing I was probably going to be pushing the pace. Didnít listen.

4 - On the ride itself, I knew I was pushing and started feeling pretty tired before the half pipe. Shouldíve ate my pride and rested.

5 - Even dropping into the half pipe, I knew I was going too fast. For one second I thought about braking and thought, youíll be fine ...

6 - Contributing factor probably was the morning before the ride I went through the half pipe and raked it end to end to get ride of some dead weeds and smooth it out. I wonder if that loose layer of dirt on the surface of the hard pack played a role in the crash. Iím sure it did along with my poor riding skills!

Anyways, Iíll have 6 more weeks to psychoanalyze my poor decision making. Surgery tomorrow morning, ughh!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    As I sit here on the couch reliving it over and over, I figure thereís a lesson learned in this for me, and probably others. Here were the watch outs (many) that I didnít listen to:

1- Work got crazy, and I was feeling the ride needed to go fast as I needed to go back to work after the ride to finish a report. I was stressing all day about whether I shouldíve cancelled it.

2- My initial plan was to show 2-3 guys the trail. Through email and text, the number grew to 8 new riders. I was feeling pressure to make it a fast ride. That is 100% on me. Everyone was super cool.

3 - I got my new bike up and running on Monday. I had one short test run and knew I needed to do some tweaking. I knew I shouldíve stuck with the bike I was comfortable on, especially knowing I was probably going to be pushing the pace. Didnít listen.

4 - On the ride itself, I knew I was pushing and started feeling pretty tired before the half pipe. Shouldíve ate my pride and rested.

5 - Even dropping into the half pipe, I knew I was going too fast. For one second I thought about braking and thought, youíll be fine ...

6 - Contributing factor probably was the morning before the ride I went through the half pipe and raked it end to end to get ride of some dead weeds and smooth it out. I wonder if that loose layer of dirt on the surface of the hard pack played a role in the crash. Iím sure it did along with my poor riding skills!

Anyways, Iíll have 6 more weeks to psychoanalyze my poor decision making. Surgery tomorrow morning, ughh!
    Bummer, and good lessons! Iíve found that reflecting on mistakes after a crash leads to really rapid progress. I had a similar fracture, but not as displaced and angulated as yours. I chose not to have surgery, but wish that I did.

Went up Sulfur Springs 3 times today at Demo. Man, Iím sick of that trail! But the descents (2 Braille, 1 Flow) were really good. Not dusty or blown out at all, with some almost hero dirt in some places. Expected braking bumps on flow,and some dust collecting at the bottom of the berms, but if you stayed high or middle of the berms, it was a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The couple rains have left us with some primo dirt. Did a Scotts, lake lap, double hoot, upper pioneer, miners, back home....

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-yetiherodirt.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Santa Cruz yesterday, parked at Costco and the doorman said it was no problem to leave my car there. Instead of the hwy 9 side, I rode down the mail route twice and it was awesome. At the end, came back from the bottom via campus roads. Man, what a campus! Near the intersection of Empire Grade and Chinquapin there was a big group of people wearing Specialized branding. Most of them were on foot milling about, and a few walking around Long Meadow. Hardly any bikes in the crew, I wondered what they were doing. They had some boxes of gear.

singletrack bound
    On the return trip from Lake Stevens Washington.
    Rained just about every day but was able to squeeze a few rides in.

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-ecd66464-e529-4909-98b0-502e83c6326c.jpg

Sun popped out with everything dripping water.

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-7b29bd73-70d7-4345-93f5-c0cda0564231.jpg

Had the trail all to myself

September 13-19, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-9703fac3-ede1-46bf-b7eb-1415fc19f50f.jpg

Driving south today....