separated shoulder- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

separated shoulder

Messed up on a line going down a chute on Carlmont side during PTB Wed ride and landed on my left shoulder. Done that chute before but got sloppy.

Didn't see an MD cus they'll just say the same thing as to what I've read on the web. Likely a type 2 separation. This sucks!!!!! Can't even lay down on left side when sleeping.But at least I'm still able to work.

I know there is already a thread on separated shoulders, but just want to bring back the old issue.
    A spotless bike is a bored bike.

aka baycat
    When I separated mine trying to knock down a tree on Ridge I was out for several weeks. First few days kept it in a sling to immobilize it. Slowly got my range of motion back after a steady diet of rest, ice, over the counter meds and beer.

Make sure your collar bone is not broken or any torn ligaments.

~~~
    At least you'll be able to get out of a straight jacket now a la Martin Riggs.

That sucks Dennis. Heal up, man.

My spoon is too big!
    [email protected] dude, that sucks! Hope you heal fast. Like baycat says, rest, ice, and pain meds. If you're not feeling an improvement in pain and mobility by next week, you should think about seeing a doc. They'll at least be able to give you better pain meds.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

injured reserve list
    Yeah, for sure go see a DR. for and MRI if it still hurts next week. I did a grade 3 separation with all the bells and whistles tore up inside last Nov. Had surgery and they said slim chance it will heal back up to 100% and I still can't ride cuz of 2 rods still in there. So my advice is to not wait too long if it is really bad next week and don't go to county in Martinez. Good luck
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Today is already one week from when injured. Range of motion still limited and has improved compared to last week. Definitely can't lie down on in yet, can't raise arm all the way above head and can't reach out w/out discomfort like a runner on a relay track team.

Couldn't be grade 3 or I would be in more pain and dicomfort. Doubt it is grade 1 cus shoulder looks kinda off which no one would probably even notice unless I pointed it out. I'll see if there is any more improvement by next week.

Being off the bike is going to suck specially when sun is out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I managed a type II plus a partial rotator cuff tear last fall crashing at the crack. I was riding again in 8 weeks. First day back on the DH bike and I partially re-tore my opposite rotator cuff. Good times

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Type III took me out about 4 years ago. It took me 6 weeks to be able to ride again. I stupidly went for a ride on Rocky Ridge before my shoulder had fully healed and crashed. Luckily I landed on the other shoulder. Rest up dude.

Travis
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Travis: I crashed on that same chute that I hesitated on before. Hee! Hee! You probably figured that out once you saw this post. You know what that means. As I always say, gots to redeem myself. For some reason, it's taking me long time to become 100% comfortable on that chute. A bunch of peeps did it last season with no hesitation. Arrrr!

Paper or plastic?
    Busted my shoulder at Northstar last August. It's been hurting ever since. First MRI showed a bruised bone but no ligament tearing. 2nd MRI a month ago showed no tearing, and no more bruising. Got a cortisone shot to help with the pain, and restarted my PT religiously. Still hurts but quite a bit less. Long story short, if you have a decent insurance, go see a good doctor.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Long story short, if you have a decent insurance, go see a good doctor.
    Have no insurance. Just began a new job. Pays better though Otherwise, I would take advantage of my insurance and see an MD. OOP with no insurance for just a visit with an ortho is about $200. I called earlier today. Next thing you know they'll tell me to get an x-ray then MRI. Once results are in they'll tell me the same thing that I already gathered on the web and on forums. Just hoping I'll see more improvements by next week.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    See a doctor, get an MRI. It isn't worth having to go through the possibility of deterioration and permanent damage, even if it feels OK 6 months from now, there are things a MRI will show that you don't expect.

I will say in my case, having a cool 8" scar, plates and ti, a $56k receipt, and the story is cool, but riding w/o going what some have gone through, myself included would be much cooler if I was to offer an opinion.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    I had a type 2/3 (they couldn't decide which) and a hairline collarbone fracture and my orthopod just said use it until it got better. A couple weeks of not able to brush my teeth and comb my hair with that arm and everything got better eventually. The orthopod didn't even like the sling, said it would make it too weak. Once I didn't feel any pain and could raise my arm I started working out and except the bump it's as good as new.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I separated my shoulder, decided not to see the doctor and had to end up getting surgery. I reinjured my shoulder and technically am supposed to get surgery, but I can ride without my shoulder separating so I have chosen not to at this moment. I just cannot stand another year of not being able to do anything athletic. I would say go to the doctor early and really take it easy. Another accident can worsen it and when ligaments tear, surgery is the ONLY way to fix it. No amount of therapy or rest can fix those kind of things.

mtbr member
    dennis... heal fast and i hope your new job takes care of you- STAT!
    are you referring to Warp Speed. Its after the plateau, the first drop run into a double

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lamdman1976
    dennis... heal fast and i hope your new job takes care of you- STAT!
    are you referring to Warp Speed. Its after the plateau, the first drop run into a double
    Sup Lambert! Yep.That sounds about right. The chute over to the right little bit after the plateau.

Two more months at my new job and hopefully they'll keep me so I don't have to crawl back to my previous company.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacing08
    Today is already one week from when injured. Range of motion still limited and has improved compared to last week. Definitely can't lie down on in yet, can't raise arm all the way above head and can't reach out w/out discomfort like a runner on a relay track team.

Couldn't be grade 3 or I would be in more pain and dicomfort. Doubt it is grade 1 cus shoulder looks kinda off which no one would probably even notice unless I pointed it out. I'll see if there is any more improvement by next week.

Being off the bike is going to suck specially when sun is out.
    In general, grade 3 separation is less painful than grade 2. With a grade 3, you have complete tear or rupture of the ligament that connects your clavicle to the acromion. With grade 2 or 1 the tear is incomplete. Durring movement of the arm, there is a load on the torn ligament which is painful. There is no load on a ruptured ligament. Pain is generated though other structures such as the rotator cuff muscles, bursa or bone. Inflamation will also cause pain as the swelling puts pressure on the free nerve endings in the shoulder capsule. Rest, immobilzation, ice and anti inflamitory meds will help. Once your pain levels drop to an acceptable level, you can start working on your range of motion by bending forward at the waist and gently swing your arm like a pendulum, then work up to walking your fingers across a counter or table to the front and side. Progress to walking your fingers up a wall (you can assist with the other hand until you can do it independent of the other hand). A pulley system to stretch your arm over your head is even better. Ice after each session of ROM exercise to limit symptoms. Often, Grade 3 separations are managed without surgery. Hopefully you have no other trauma. Look online for stretches that focus on your posture (focus on neck and pectoralis minor) and exercise for the rhomboids, middle trapezius and rotator cuff to assist with posture. It may take a while to heal, so be patient, but if your symptoms stay at the same and you show no signs of improvement, seek out a diagnosis from a doctor (preferably an orthopedist. Good luck and healing vibes.
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

Feral Roadie
    FWIW, I had a grade 4 shoulder seperation March 09 and got surgery from

http://www.eppleymd.com/

with Dr. Zwhalen

http://www.eppleymd.com/id5.html

I went to 3 different doctors, got a bunch of different opinions. I had tightrope AC joint reconstruction and was riding my bike (carefully ) 4 months after the surgery. A year later
    and the shoulder is as functional as it was before.

The recovery and PT were no joke.. a lot of pain.

_ Booker C. Bense

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *Grade 3/4's will hurt when the humerus starts floating around trying to relocate and grinds into the socket, not including the tendency to allow trapping of tissues while doing so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I managed to separate my shoulder 6 weeks ago at Demo. Totally understand what your going through. It's been about 6 weeks and I've regained a lot of motion but still not 100%. Constantly reminded of the separated shoulder when I try to sleep on my side. Not fun at all.

otb member
    I think I told you Dennis - got a grade 3 sep. 2 years ago when my shoulder lost a battle to a hidden rock while snowboarding.

5 months of 2 day a week PT and it was strong again. Then last year took a good spill on it in Santa Cruz and did some damage again. Took it easy for a month or so and it's back to good. Really working out my upper body these days to keep it as strong as i can, and don't ride big bikes without armor anymore.
    The wheels on my bike go 'round and 'round

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My shoulder is doing alot better. Have full range of motion but definitley not as strong as before (will start lifting now that 3 weeks has past) so going to do rotator cuff and shoulder workouts. There is still some discomfort but nothing too bad. I'll start riding again this weekend but conservatively. Want to keep my conditioning up at least.

Last ride I did was critical mass and shoulder had no problem...then again the streets are smooth.

horn doggie
    After having my right shoulder surgically repaired in 2002 following a mishap on Montara Mt. where I didn't even crash (I still managed to sever the suprapinatus muscle - had to reattach it to humerous), I suffered a grade 2 separation of the same shoulder in Joaquin Miller after casing a jump in 2006.

Other than the utter disappointment of the injury, a few weeks of pain and immobility, and freaking a bit over the asymmetry of the shoulder that appears in the mirror, now, I'm fine, and I'm riding fine, too. It all kinda works out eventually.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bbense
    I had tightrope AC joint reconstruction and was riding my bike (carefully ) 4 months after the surgery. A year later

_ Booker C. Bense
    On September 4th I fell off my bike and sustained a separated shoulder. The ortho said I had somewhere between a grade 3-5 (does it seem odd they do not know the exact grade?). They suggested that I have surgery, specifically the procedure that uses the tightrope.

What made you decide to have surgery, and use this one specifically? Were you concerned that this is a newer procedure? Did you have an MRI or just xrays done? I appreciate any feedback!

horn doggie
    FWIW, I had a grade 4 shoulder seperation March 09 and got surgery from

http://www.eppleymd.com/

with Dr. Zwhalen

http://www.eppleymd.com/id5.html

I went to 3 different doctors, got a bunch of different opinions. I had tightrope AC joint reconstruction and was riding my bike (carefully ) 4 months after the surgery. A year later

_ Booker C. Bense

Eppley fixed my shoulder, too. Nice guy, and his female assistant, even nicer.

And about the pain of PT......indescribable.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude
    Eppley fixed my shoulder, too. Nice guy, and his female assistant, even nicer.

And about the pain of PT......indescribable.
    Did you also get the Tightrope procedure?

Paper or plastic?
    1 year after hurting my shoulder, I finally got surgery 2 weeks ago. Doc removed scar tissue from the tendon (no tearing, so no reattachment) and remove a bone spur. I got probably 90% of my range, and should be back at 100% in a matter of weeks. Doing my PT, and hoping that the soreness goes away soon enough.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by magicaj
    On September 4th I fell off my bike and sustained a separated shoulder. The ortho said I had somewhere between a grade 3-5 (does it seem odd they do not know the exact grade?). They suggested that I have surgery, specifically the procedure that uses the tightrope.
    Well, historically there isn't a grade 4/5 depending on which doctor you talk to. Anything beyond three is a measure of how far the separation is not whether you've got any ligament connections left.

What made you decide to have surgery, and use this one specifically? Were you concerned that this is a newer procedure? Did you have an MRI or just xrays done? I appreciate any feedback!
    I went to 3 different docs and got 3 different answers( yes, no , maybe ). I was very concerned about the procedure, but I was more inclined to go with it because it was new. All the older procedures don't have great track records and this one is relatively minimal compared to some of the older ones, since it's mostly arthroscopic, with one 3-4 inch
    larger cut over the collarbone. (i.e they don't have to completely flay your shoulder open to do it.) I had just Xrays.

I had the procedure about a month after my crash, I think what tipped the balance for me was that the shoulder was getting weaker and more painful as time went on, not less. Plus my collarbone wasn't anywhere near where it's supposed to be. Separation on the Xray was over an inch. While surgery of any kind is no joke, this procedure at least didn't seem that risky and had some potential to improve the joint. The big danger to me was the risk
    of messing up the surgery while it's healing and being right back at square one. There's a period of 3-4 weeks after the surgery where you can't really do much at all.

I know the dilemma you're in and I wish I had a black/white answer/result for you. My shoulder works now, but I still need to go to the gym and keep up the PT exercises on a regular basis, if I skip a few weeks it starts to ache. Makes me wonder how much was functional and how much cosmetic? On the other hand, I never notice it at all when I'm doing stuff, only when I'm sitting at the computer or driving.

Dr Zwahlen was really helpful answering questions and being straightforward about all the outcomes. I talked with him several times before the surgery about my concerns.

_ Booker C. Bense
    Last edited by bbense; 09-08-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *All the pain you'll face in pt in no way compares to having to wait an hour or more with the shoulder floating freely and waves of pain happening every 3 minutes while the hospital tries to figure out how to juggle you in to x-ray so they can get a visual "OK" before resetting the shoulder. Do the pt, if you're lucky you won't have to live with the level of pain I still get and the surgery I had to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know the dilemma you're in and I wish I had a black/white answer/result for you. My shoulder works now, but I still need to go to the gym and keep up the PT exercises on a regular basis, if I skip a few weeks it starts to ache. Makes me wonder how much was functional and how much cosmetic? On the other hand, I never notice it at all when I'm doing stuff, only when I'm sitting at the computer or driving.

_ Booker C. Bense
    I appreciate your feedback. I went and got a second opinion and the recommendation was once again to have the surgery. The orthopedic surgeon made the argument that the surgery will make me more anatomically correct, and given the degree of separation of my clavicle (which was also about an inch) they recommended it.

I am a software engineer, so a large portion of my day is spent on a computer typing and mousing. How much time would you think I need to allow after surgery before I can return to work? I am willing to type with one hand for a while...

You said that you still notice it when you drive or type? Is it most painful in those positions?

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by magicaj
    I am a software engineer, so a large portion of my day is spent on a computer typing and mousing. How much time would you think I need to allow after surgery before I can return to work? I am willing to type with one hand for a while...
    I was at home for two weeks after the surgery, I could have done less but I have a very long commute and had the accumulated sick leave. I think I did some work from home stuff the second week. I think it was about 3 or 4 weeks before I could easily type with both hands again.

If your car is a standard the really hard part will be driving. There's no way you're anything that requires raising your arm for at least 4 weeks.

You said that you still notice it when you drive or type? Is it most painful in those positions?
    It's isn't painful, but it just lets me know it's there. There's nothing about those particular positions that aggravate it, I think it's just sitting quietly enough to notice it. In the scale of things it's incredibly minor, mostly it just serves as a reminder to go to the gym. I've never had any other injuries that required surgery, so maybe it's just par for the course that it never feels completely right again.

_ Booker C. Bense

Members who have read this thread: 0