mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Wink Seek partner(s) for Oakland Evening MTB Rides

I'm a non-competitive rider, Female, somewhat slow (so far) on the uphills, but fairly fast down hill. Usually do Skyline gate at Redwood, to other side of Chabot Space, to JM's Sequoia Bayview, to Big Trees and back. Sometimes add in to Robert's gate & back. I start 5:30-6:30 Tues, Thurs & Sun.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I'll PM you. I've ridden the area for many years at night, though not as much as I'd like lately because of work, kids, wife gone back to school thus increasing my responsibilities with the kids, etc. Meeting up may be difficult for the same reasons, but more contacts for fellow night riders is better than fewer.

Hella slow on the up, normal slow on the down; I just like rolling through the woods.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

fading away
    You should seek out Mike Solis. He is an ambassador of those hills and does the East Bay Bike Party rides as well. Look him up on Strava. Tell him Porkstacker sent you.
    in this dying light

mtbr member
    You should come out to a Frame Up Bikes Thursday night group ride on the other side of the tunnel!
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Nobody
    Guess I should have googled before I posted. Looks like ENdless went out of business last year. Sad to see that

Endless Cycles used to do a group night ride on Tuesday's, I think. It was organized very well with three groups based on pace. They ended back at the shop with pizza and beer.

Might be worth looking into.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    If you ever venture a bit North, look up some of the group rides in Annadel. We have a fairly diverse group of riders up here, all ages, abilities and genders.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Nobody
    Night rides in annadel?
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    If you ever venture a bit North, look up some of the group rides in Annadel. We have a fairly diverse group of riders up here, all ages, abilities and genders.
    Geez, if you ride at Annadel in the dark like you do in the daytime, it's a wonder you ever make it home.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    If you can start a bit earlier, you could look into becoming an assistant coach on a high school MTB team -- Oakland Composite and Berkeley are very large teams (Oakland is actually multiple teams that work together) that have many riders of varying ability levels and always need more responsible adults to ride with the kids. It's a great way to meet other adult riders and working with the kids and seeing how ridiculously quickly they develop is its own reward. I think the Oakland teams meet near JMP for practices right around 4:30 or so, and practices start in a few weeks. PM me if interested and I can give you contact info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thank you all so much for the great suggestions.

I have a very busy work schedule so evenings are my only option. I also can't commit to a group because my work sometimes unexpectedly will cause me to miss a planned ride.

Best for me is not an organized group, just a few individuals who ride where I do and who I can let know when I'm going. If they're available, we can go together.

thx again!