Sea Otter Classic 2019 - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    I'm going to do the gravel grinder tour.
    https://www.trailforks.com/route/gravel-grinder/

Have few options in-terms or wheels/rubber.
    - 700 x 38c - Panaracer Gravelking Slicks
    - 700 x 35c - WTB Crossboss
    - 27.5 x 2.2" - S-Works Fast Trak

Which one should run? - hopefully not the the Crossboss since I just took them off and put on the Gravelkings.

Never ever ridden Fort Ord - neither MTB or gravel before.

Stick with the gravelking. Looking over that loop it looks like thereís a good mixture of dirt/packed sand/road/gravel. Save some energy for the last climb.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by westernmtb View Post
    Does anyone ride in to sea otter by bike? Google maps says 896 feet of climbing from Del Rey Oaks over a 7 mile trip.

Alternately is there a shuttle bus in?
    Yes people ride in, Iíve ridden in from all directions. The main road is South Boundary Rd. There will be a lot of cars since itís the main entrance to the venue. Another option with less traffic would be to stay on General Jim Moore Blvd. a few miles north and turn right on Eucalyptus Rd. From this point there will be no cars, take that until you hit Barlow canyon road then turn right. Barley canyon road will take you to the venue.

Itís all climbing on the way in, and descending on the way out. Parking is free though.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    website says there's subaru parking.
    of course the sea otter website has about a 70% chance of being correct on any particular topic.
    At first glance i don't see Subaru listed as a partner or vendor this year. But, yeah the site can be wrong.

In important news - the beer garden appears to have moved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    IIRC - last year Fox was offering free oil changes on forks and shocks at Sea Otter? Can anyone confirm this?

I'm riding my gravel bike this year - so I'll just pop off my fork and shock on my FS if they're doing this.

mtbr member
    IIRC - last year Fox was offering free oil changes on forks and shocks at Sea Otter? Can anyone confirm this?

I'm riding my gravel bike this year - so I'll just pop off my fork and shock on my FS if they're doing this.
    In my experience, they've only done it for people racing. You're best bet is to be in there as early as possible, like Thursday morning, for the best chance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    In my experience, they've only done it for people racing. You're best bet is to be in there as early as possible, like Thursday morning, for the best chance.
    How about doing the MTB or gravel tours? Those cost more than the race entries!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Stick with the gravelking. Looking over that loop it looks like thereís a good mixture of dirt/packed sand/road/gravel. Save some energy for the last climb.
    Good point. Though now what you pointed that out, I have 11-36 cassette on my 700c wheels. My 27.5 I have 11-42. And I'm too lazy to do a cassette swap. So looks like 27.5 for me.

mtbr member
    Last year was 20.00 fork or shock service

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hella Olde
    How about doing the MTB or gravel tours? Those cost more than the race entries!
    . If they give you a number plate give it a shot. The days of free service other than sag setting is kinda over. Iím riding all 4 days and canít be without the bike for a few hours either.

Iíll be at the Pre Otter tomorrow and or Sunday and report on progress

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post

Ok. Happy to pay that! Do they turnaround same day if you drop in the morning. I'll be there Fri PM all through Saturday.

mtbr member
    Ok. Happy to pay that! Do they turnaround same day if you drop in the morning. I'll be there Fri PM all through Saturday.
    Drop off in the am pick up in the afternoon. But get there early because they close it off when at capacity

banned
    Dec 2018
    Yes people ride in, Iíve ridden in from all directions. The main road is South Boundary Rd. There will be a lot of cars since itís the main entrance to the venue. Another option with less traffic would be to stay on General Jim Moore Blvd. a few miles north and turn right on Eucalyptus Rd. From this point there will be no cars, take that until you hit Barlow canyon road then turn right. Barley canyon road will take you to the venue.

Itís all climbing on the way in, and descending on the way out. Parking is free though.
    What route in is the easiest by bike in your experience?

Up In Smoke
    What route in is the easiest by bike in your experience?
    There is no easy way into Laguna Seca. Whats your starting point? Itís probably best to avoid south boundry road since there is a lot of festival traffic.

banned
    Dec 2018
    There is no easy way into Laguna Seca. Whats your starting point? Itís probably best to avoid south boundry road since there is a lot of festival traffic.
    I'm going to be staying with friends in Monterey, near the fairgrounds.

Up In Smoke
    I'm going to be staying with friends in Monterey, near the fairgrounds.
    South Boundry rd. if you donít mind the traffic. Take 30/45 minutes from the fairgrounds.

banned
    Dec 2018
    I assume traffic is heaviest say 9-11 AM? Or only on Friday and Saturday?

Up In Smoke
    Traffic can be heavy most of the day. The ride in is not so bad with the traffic, but I don't like riding out with the traffic. If you don't mind riding on roads, you could also take hwy 68. If you're not familiar its a two lane highway, speed limit is 55mph between canyon del rey and laguna seca and there is plenty of shoulder. Then you would take the main entrance into Laguna Seca, its a steep climb but its shorter. If you were to take south boundry road the climb is more gradual but there are steep pitches there as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post

do you know if XFusion does this as well?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    With this weather, this will be the busiest sea otter in history.

The whole mountain bike industry from around the world is... incoming

Try and make it out
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yep, should be an epic otter.

Hella Olde

Pre-Otter Scene report

It was hot AF for this fogtown boy down there yesterday. Seemed like mid-70s. I drank 3 liters of water and 2 12oz beers. The trails are perfect, the grass is still green and the flowers are out. I took the fender off, hopefully for good. As always, F Barloy Cyn.

Gas has gone up astronomically, but E-Bikes aren't welcome on BLM land. Oil company conspiracy? Nope, just 110 Octane VP leaded racing fuel. Pic 3 sucks but shows a glimpse of some of KD's near vertical slalom berms. There are 3 sets built, so it looks pretty much like last years course unless they add some stuff lower down......Speaking of 100% I met an industry woman who works there practicing the enduro stages with her man friend who said stop by their 2 booths for fun and games. BTW no other bike related activity. There was imsa racing going on - saw some GT3 and GT2 racing. Unfortunately the Cat1/Pro XC course and the MTB Grand Tour uses 50 UP which caused me to encounter a Fatbiker and his girlfriend and a dirt roadie coming up which ended my race-speed ride attempt. There was no enduro signage out there yet - just the XC and tour stuff.
    Kinda weird since the enduro happens first.

Sea Otter Classic 2019-img-6162.jpg

Sea Otter Classic 2019-img-6149.jpg

Attachment 1246018

Attachment 1246022
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sea Otter Classic 2019-1-img-6148.jpg  

Sea Otter Classic 2019-2-img-6164-1-.jpg  

Last edited by DH40; 04-08-2019 at 12:15 PM.

banned
    Dec 2018
    I'm starting to reconsider 1000 feet of climbing in to sea otter lol.

$10/gal for gas? I checked with an app and prices are closer to $3.50.

Rides all the bikes!
    I'm starting to reconsider 1000 feet of climbing in to sea otter lol.

$10/gal for gas? I checked with an app and prices are closer to $3.50.
    My Ford Fiesta doesn't need race gas, so I'm not worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    110 Octane VP leaded racing fuel

mtbr member
    I can't tell if it's from these pictures, or is the slalom course looking a little short this year?

Hella Olde
    Must be the pics - it's the same as always.

mtbr member
    There was one year he really got after it and had the drops and the table top at the end. That was a fun course. Last year, all that grass was kind of no bueno..

Rides all the bikes!
    Well, I am all lycra'd out for this one. Decided to leave my brand new Enduro at home and bring the roadie instead. Road race Friday, dirt roadie Sunday. I need to hurry up and buy a van so I can haul my whole fleet

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    There was one year he really got after it and had the drops and the table top at the end. That was a fun course. Last year, all that grass was kind of no bueno..
    I remember those years! Unfortunately, I watched from the sidelines til last year. The bottom turns on the grass are sketchy. Maybe he's out there digging today?

I just wanna go fast!
    I think the table top jumps only get put in if Sea Otter has left over dirt or is down to pay to truck in dirt for the jumps

Up In Smoke
    Looks like windy conditions for Thursday's Enduro. If there's anything they are good a predicting in Monterey, its the wind. Might want to pack a wind breaker.

banned
    Dec 2018
    Is there good cell reception at laguna seca? I'm with t-mobile.

Hella Olde
    Is there good cell reception at laguna seca? I'm with t-mobile.
    Haha yes, even T-Mobile works there (I'm on that carrier at the moment). it BARELY works on my block in the middle of San Francisco, but it seems to work all over Fort Ord and Laguna Seca.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    I think the table top jumps only get put in if Sea Otter has left over dirt or is down to pay to truck in dirt for the jumps
    You would think a local soil company could be convinced to donate a truckload of suitable clean fill to the cause for some advert banner exposure.

Hella Olde
    Having to do the Enduro first thing Thursday AM after getting all your paperwork done and maybe squeezing in 1 practice run on the DH track annoys me.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Are there any off the grid car-camping options for Saturday night that anyone knows about...

mtbr member
    Having to do the Enduro first thing Thursday AM after getting all your paperwork done and maybe squeezing in 1 practice run on the DH track annoys me.
    Any feedback on how the two middle Enduro courses look? Are they uphill gravel road races like a few years ago or do they have actual trails in use this time?

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Any feedback on how the two middle Enduro courses look? Are they uphill gravel road races like a few years ago or do they have actual trails in use this time?
    They are the same trails as last 2 years - 50 and 80-somethings. Stage 2 barely hints at altitude loss. I personally hate the beginning of stage 3. It's nowhere near as bad as the trail mistakenly listed on the enduro course map, but I'm pretty gassed by the time the downhill begins. The descent on stage 3 is fast and fun in my opinion. But short. The Sea Otter is a short and stubby beast by most measures since there is no mountain for the mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    jrm---the only place I know is Vetrans Park in Monterrey-----first come first servedm camping---they have 40 sites---but hard to believe you would get one this weekend

mtbr member
    They are the same trails as last 2 years - 50 and 80-somethings. Stage 2 barely hints at altitude loss. I personally hate the beginning of stage 3. It's nowhere near as bad as the trail mistakenly listed on the enduro course map, but I'm pretty gassed by the time the downhill begins. The descent on stage 3 is fast and fun in my opinion. But short. The Sea Otter is a short and stubby beast by most measures since there is no mountain for the mountain bikes.
    I can't figure out why they don't go off property and hold the Enduro in SC. Then they could have an actual world class race, but heaven forbid that they pull spectators away from the venue...

the half breed devil
    Cue the long and unnecessary story- I had a nightmare bad experience this year with booking my Sea Otter, and even though I say every year that I'm not going, seriously, I think this is the year. I'm depressed, heavily, by the thought I will have to miss my annual re-up of clothing and socks. The rest I can live without. I'll miss you FC!!

I was online, 9am, way back in June waiting for early camping to open. I sat there refreshing the page for an hour or more, and was so bummed out when SOC finally opened the site, at which point, every campsite was booked. I immediately emailed Julie the camping rep with SOC calling foul play and was relegated to the wait list. Weeks went by and I politely reminded them I was waiting to hear back and radio silence ensues. Finally after a month, the director gets back to me explaining how Julie, the old rep was no longer with the event (she's been there for years and years) and the new person was to be appointed within weeks. More waiting. In November, right before general camping opened, I begged them one last time to "please don't make us camp in the gravel or the asphalt" as we've done for years. No luck. After all these emails, and finally poking at SOC crying favoritism of industry over regular Joe's, I was defeated. I walked away from it disappointed.
    this is the thing about the sea otter which filled me with hate in 2001. frank bohannon gave me a shit attitude and i haven't been back since.

fc
    I can't tell if it's from these pictures, or is the slalom course looking a little short this year?
    They cut the budget and didn't give the builder enough time according to Lars @THC
    IPA will save America

trekker
    Jul 2005
    This will be my first time at SOC. I'l probably go Thursday or Friday and maybe a weekend day. No racing. Anything I should do or see? Should I even bring my mtb?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If you do not plan to ride the xc terrain the bike will be a pain in the ass-----the entire vendor event is in the in field and gets very crowded---then the bike is a hassle to have

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
    This will be my first time at SOC. I'l probably go Thursday or Friday and maybe a weekend day. No racing. Anything I should do or see? Should I even bring my mtb?
    The bike is good for parking since the lots are so far away. The bike is a little inconvenient walking around. But many, many do it.

You can park your bike at the Mtbr Booth. Bring a lock. Aussie Bob will be there too.

There will be about 500 exhibitors there. Cool stuff.

fc
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    If you do not plan to ride the xc terrain the bike will be a pain in the ass-----the entire vendor event is in the in field and gets very crowded---then the bike is a hassle to have
    But it's nice to have with you if you want advice or love from a mfg of the frame or components. Also, it makes riding to the top of the Corkscrew a lot more fun. If you are lucky enough to have a medal around your neck, YOU WILL GET DISCOUNTS! The SOC is about bikes! Ride it all over the place!! Drink beer!! DO WHAT THOU WHILST!!!

Hard to believe I'll be suffering through the Enduro all day tomorrow......

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    The bike is good for parking since the lots are so far away. The bike is a little inconvenient walking around. But many, many do it.

You can park your bike at the Mtbr Booth. Bring a lock. Aussie Bob will be there too.

There will be about 500 exhibitors there. Cool stuff.

fc
    Francis Can anyone park their bikes at the Mtbr booth? Is there other bike parking also?

Tim

Rides all the bikes!
    But it's nice to have with you if you want advice or love from a mfg of the frame or components. Also, it makes riding to the top of the Corkscrew a lot more fun. If you are lucky enough to have a medal around your neck, YOU WILL GET DISCOUNTS! The SOC is about bikes! Ride it all over the place!! Drink beer!! DO WHAT THOU WHILST!!!

Hard to believe I'll be suffering through the Enduro all day tomorrow......
    If it makes you feel any better, I have a 6 hour drive tomorrow while you are riding

fc
    Mtbr is in a new spot, beside Eminent, Scott, Boyd and closer to the dual-slalom course. Drop in, hang out, leave your bike in our paddock and leave us your local beer.Sea Otter Classic 2019-56669622_10215141012371160_1331444152432328704_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mtbr is in a new spot, beside Eminent, Scott, Boyd and closer to the dual-slalom course. Drop in, hang out, leave your bike in our paddock and leave us your local beer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56669622_10215141012371160_1331444152432328704_n.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	1246407
    2nd year attending. Are we allowed to bring in outside alcohol(do they check)? And if not....how do I bring some in?

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday View Post
    2nd year attending. Are we allowed to bring in outside alcohol(do they check)? And if not....how do I bring some in?
    They possibly might hassle you at the entrance to the expo area if you're hauling a cooler. Bring a backpack and you'll have no problems. Security isn't really that tight though.

I just wanna go fast!
    I have yet to have anyone search my backpack. Not sure what the rules are on alcohol, but I have frequently brought in my own beer and a couple of times a blender, rum, and enough ingredients to make banana drinks for a crapload of people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    I have yet to have anyone search my backpack. Not sure what the rules are on alcohol, but I have frequently brought in my own beer and a couple of times a blender, rum, and enough ingredients to make banana drinks for a crapload of people.
    haha. Yea I was just thinking about a couple beers. Let me know if you get the blender going again

Thanks for the input fellas

I just wanna go fast!
    haha. Yea I was just thinking about a couple beers. Let me know if you get the blender going again

Thanks for the input fellas
    Unfortunately, my normal blender spot is all business this year so it looks like we'll be taking a break from the usual festivities.

....just cruisin through
    I have a camp spot up for sale for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Search for Sea Otter Classic in the classifieds. Hoping someone can get some use out of the camp as I cannot make it this year. Enjoy all!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    First off, I haven't been on forums for years. Have know Francis since 2000 or so. Used to do some single speed stuff.

Wanted to pass this information along. Specialized is having a recruiting event at Otter. Come learn more about the opportunities here at Specialized at Sea Otter, on Friday and Saturday, April 12-13th, from 2-4pm at the Specialized booth, while enjoying a crisp, refreshing beer, on us!

*yes I work at Specialized. Drinking red Kool Aid as I type this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I can't figure out why they don't go off property and hold the Enduro in SC. Then they could have an actual world class race, but heaven forbid that they pull spectators away from the venue...
    Because everything is illegal in SC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
    Itís a mountain bike festival, I donít know why you wouldnít want to bring your bike. If you want to watch Slalom, DH, head back to parking/camping its way easier. Plus I hate walking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BSen13 View Post
    No Subaru this year? I was looking forward to that VIP parking
    What is the Subaru VIP parking? Is it just for people who own Subarus?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by schudes View Post
    First off, I haven't been on forums for years. Have know Francis since 2000 or so. Used to do some single speed stuff.

Wanted to pass this information along. Specialized is having a recruiting event at Otter. Come learn more about the opportunities here at Specialized at Sea Otter, on Friday and Saturday, April 12-13th, from 2-4pm at the Specialized booth, while enjoying a crisp, refreshing beer, on us!

*yes I work at Specialized. Drinking red Kool Aid as I type this.
    Shudes is legit! Used to work at Niner too. All around good guy.

Faster than fast and did the Cape Epic, right?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mtbr is in a new spot, beside Eminent, Scott, Boyd and closer to the dual-slalom course. Drop in, hang out, leave your bike in our paddock and leave us your local beer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56669622_10215141012371160_1331444152432328704_n.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	1246407
    I'll swing by! This is my first year attending.

Will be mainly at the HyperThreads booth near the entrance. FYI, HyperThreads makes cool custom kits; it's my bro's company.

They'll have lots of homemade cookies for you

banned
    Dec 2018
    Are there various locales in the venue where you can lock up a bike?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Are there various locales in the venue where you can lock up a bike?
    yes. There are lots of bike racks all over.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Up In Smoke
    Any race report from the enduro guys? Looks like some fast riders out there today, but my strava times have held up pretty well. Sure is cold and windy here in town, must be rough out in the hills.

mtbr member
    Gilroy local James Eves with a podium finish. He was looking to do better, but cannot complain too much when everyone else on the podium is a legit pro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post

I want to go on Saturday. Iím new to MTB and want to see what itís all about at an event.

im planning to bring my trail bike, but Iím worried about locking it up when I have to go to the restroom.

I defiantly want to check check out the booths (I read that specialized is doing something from 2-4) and see some racing.

Any tips on where to park? I donít mind trekking.

Iíll be bringing my own snacks (food allergies and intolerances), Iím assuming I can bring in my own water and snacks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Special18-----you will park where everyone parks---no option---then it is a fairly short walk to the event central----I would NOT take my bike into the vendor area on the weekend----there is a bike corral right on the left before you go in and that is safe----this weekend the crowds will be huge and having a bike in the vendor area always seems nuts to me-it is a hassle and will bother everyone else---use it to get to the race areas which are outside the vendor area
    You can bring your food/water in---

mtbr member
    Had a great day today (Thursday)... left the truck in Seaside for service and rode up South Boundary to the event.

Super windy today (pretty chilly on the west side vendor area), bring some layers.

Saw some cool tech and neato small parts vendors. Nothing mind-blowing, but lots of clever design. The Trust fork guys could hardly keep up with setting up demos, so missed out on that. Seemed like gobs of 'health energy', vitamin water type stuff. Ridiculous number of e-bikes.

Make sure to stop on the west end at the chiropractor tent... students (Palmer College) doing free evals and adjustments.

Had my bike with me all day and wasn't a problem, I can see the weekend being far too crowded for that... use the corral.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do we have any Intel whether fox will be offering service specials on forks shocks yet? Thinking about bringing my fork as I heard last year they were doing $20 lower leg service... I'd be going on Saturday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f0nz0 View Post
    Do we have any Intel whether fox will be offering service specials on forks shocks yet? Thinking about bringing my fork as I heard last year they were doing $20 lower leg service... I'd be going on Saturday
    Yes, they are offering it.
    I saw Fox had sign today that said $20 for fork oil change service for Fox and Marzocchi forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    I'll swing by! This is my first year attending.

Will be mainly at the HyperThreads booth near the entrance. FYI, HyperThreads makes cool custom kits; it's my bro's company.

They'll have lots of homemade cookies for you
    Swung by mtbr tent couple times but missed ya.

Super fun Thurs today. Two notes on the bike front:
    * Canyon Spectral - Had long test ride. I really dig this trail bike. The Canyon folks were really cool/helpful.
    * Trek - Model updates announced/available soon... as early as May.

If you watch lots of YouTube mountain bike how-to vids, I chatted with Neal (rode Braille yesterday) and Blake of GMBN, and Phil of Skills with Phil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yes, they are offering it.
    I saw Fox had sign today that said $20 for fork oil change service for Fox and Marzocchi forks.
    dope! thanks bud

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Gilroy local James Eves with a podium finish. He was looking to do better, but cannot complain too much when everyone else on the podium is a legit pro.
    That's so rad. I was hoping James was going to get the top step but only 7 seconds back is awesome!

mtbr member
    Any race report from the enduro guys? Looks like some fast riders out there today, but my strava times have held up pretty well. Sure is cold and windy here in town, must be rough out in the hills.
    My first Sea Otter enduro. It was fun but I was a little bummed that I didn't get in a practice run on the DH. The line was super long and then some dude stacked it really bad and they closed practice early.

The wind got really bad later in the afternoon making some of the riding ... interesting.

Venue and camping tents were struggling to stay on the ground.

Rides all the bikes!
    Cat 4 road race podium. Met an MTBR member mid race. I'm guessing he saw my hairy legs and said to himself "that MUST be an MTB rider"

But missed the screen name.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    In case somebody didnít already confirm, no Subaru special parking. In fact, no Subaru sponsorship and no Subaru booth. That location was inherited by Thule.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    In case somebody didnít already confirm, no Subaru special parking. In fact, no Subaru sponsorship and no Subaru booth. That location was inherited by Thule.
    It's dog eat dog out there.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    Maybe Subaru marketing read our MTBR Hollister thread? No Subaru's there.....

Nobody
    If you havenít left for Sea Otter today, donít bother. Iíve been sitting in traffic for an hour already
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Up In Smoke
    Yeah, traffic can be heavy coming into Monterey on any given weekend, add a special event to the mix and we're all screwed.

Rides all the bikes!
    From the north? I'm about to leave Salinas and I don't see anything

Up In Smoke
    Should be ok heading from Salinas, might be a little congested close to the main entrance to laguna seca off hwy 68, but probably worse for anyone on hwy 1 from the north. It can also get backed up on south boundry road as you're entering the festival.

Rides all the bikes!
    Last time I went to Laguna Seca it was for MotoGP and I rodey motorcycle from Alameda. I remember lane sharing...a lot

Up In Smoke
    For the motorcycle races they open up another entrance to laguna seca. Unfortunately for SOC that road is used during the road races so that limits access points. I was planning to go for tomorrows Pro DH race but I'm not sure I want to sit in traffic.

mtbr member
    That was me. And yep, I saw the hairy legs and guessed it was you! You were strong, man. Did a lot of work and still had that finish! I blew up about 3 minutes from finish and limped in.

I did rip some long travel ebikes after. Kinda fun!

SOG
    mtbr member
    I only go for my son (I'm an introvert so I prefer not being around people in masses) but it was a great Otter. So many positive people and the SC Megatower has me pumped. Loved watching my lil man in DH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sea Otter Classic 2019-dsc_6628.jpg  

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    That was me. And yep, I saw the hairy legs and guessed it was you! You were strong, man. Did a lot of work and still had that finish! I blew up about 3 minutes from finish and limped in.

I did rip some long travel ebikes after. Kinda fun!
    Thanks! It was a good race and made me feel better for Sunday. Can't wait for the race tomorrow. The course looks fantastic!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Been few years since riding the gran fondo/mtb tour. Had a huge turnout - several hundred riders I think. Was awesome day for it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IFnWBcb074
    -----------------------
    Enthuziast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfish View Post
    Been few years since riding the gran fondo/mtb tour. Had a huge turnout - several hundred riders I think. Was awesome day for it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IFnWBcb074
    Nice job on that climb!
    Looked steep even in the video.

Rides all the bikes!
    My friend just posted a short clip of him racing against Annika, Kate, and Cathrine

https://www.instagram.com/sachoben/p...d=88azzoofy6t1

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    My friend just posted a short clip of him racing against Annika, Kate, and Cathrine

https://www.instagram.com/sachoben/p...d=88azzoofy6t1
    That's cool!

I just wanna go fast!
    Nice job on that climb!
    Looked steep even in the video.
    Can confirm. That climb is the suck.

I just wanna go fast!
    Unfortunately, I didn't get to race or spend as much time as the otter as I did during years past, but I did get a chance to teach my son how to heckle on the DH course and somewhere in there got shots of a couple of younger Cat 2 riders while we were up there:

Sea Otter Classic 2019-20190413_121359_030.jpg

Sea Otter Classic 2019-20190413_121132_003.jpg

Sea Otter Classic 2019-20190413_121320_039.jpg

Then headed out to the dual slalom to watch the pros race. Saw this guy out there who made me realize I was doing sea otter all wrong:

Sea Otter Classic 2019-20190413_182143-1-.jpg

Was stoked later on to find the guys at Bell were streaming Supercross after the Dual. My son was equally stoked they let him try on helmets that are way too big for his noggin.

Sea Otter Classic 2019-20190413_184300.jpg

all and all a pretty good, if not limited, time.

Sea Otter Classic 2019-20190413_195829.jpg

Rides all the bikes!
    That's cool!
    He will have the full mens pro race up in a month or so. He just put up the race from Bonelli UCI race last week, the Vail lake UCI race is next. He does a shit load of editing and adds data to it then streams the videos (ton of hours involved).

https://www.youtube.com/bengoyette

mtbr member

DH course is fast and fun

I heard a lot that the DH course isn't gnar enough. But for me as a Cat 3 40-49 class rider I thought the course was fast and fun. At full race speed I was doing my best just to hold on in some of the jumps and bumpier sections. Finished in 2:42 16th/35

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by infotekt View Post
    I heard a lot that the DH course isn't gnar enough. But for me as a Cat 3 40-49 class rider I thought the course was fast and fun. At full race speed I was doing my best just to hold on in some of the jumps and bumpier sections. Finished in 2:42 16th/35

Nice speed into and out of those turns.

mtbr member
    The past 5 days went by WAY too fast!! Dang.. that was fun.. Only 9 short weeks until camping opens up for 2020...

Hella Olde
    The past 5 days went by WAY too fast!! Dang.. that was fun.. Only 9 short weeks until camping opens up for 2020...
    I know what you mean! I'm skipping the enduro next year unless i'm in way better shape.. I was feeling it too much for the rest of my events. Having a nice campsite is great but I also talked to a surprising number of ppl who were having a great time doing various types of Scamping onsite. This doesn't involve a trailer from the Scamp company. Speaking of the Quickening of time, next year the SOC hits the Big 3-0!!

banned
    Apr 2019
    My first sea otter classic was all the way back in 2015 and I was instantly hooked. I've been back every year since then, attending for at least a few hours each year, but trying to spend as much time at the festival each year as possible.

A few things I've noticed:

1. there's still plenty of swag available, but definitely much less than in years past. In '15 in particular, there was sooo much being given away, I was often embarrassed by how much stuff was being grabbed off tables left and right, often without attendees bothering to ask. The vendors always looked the other way.

2. this year, the vendors were the least friendly out of all of the sea otters I've attended. Not to say they were uniformly unfriendly, far from it. But many were indifferent, looked bored, only wanted to talk to fellow employees and so on. A few were even openly rude, sarcastic, or otherwise passive aggressive. I'm not used to that at sea otter.

In years past, I would go grab a coffee then talk to 10 or 15 or 20 vendors in a row and had a blast talking to every single one of them! I often got the impression they were slightly disappointed I was leaving; I didn't want to be rude but with so many awesome companies and vendors I wanted to talk to as many people and vendors as I could in a limited period of time. This year, it was the opposite: even a short talk could fizzle out abruptly.

Usually it was to thank them for making an exceptional product or to reminisce about the early days of mountain biking or whatever. Much of that vibe seems to have been lost. Alternatively, perhaps it's just an odd statistical blip and perhaps things will return to their super friendly days of sea otters' past.

3. I finally found my way to the race track. Are you kidding me?!? Talk about an adrenaline rush! Yeah, I took a couple of ebikes out on the racetrack. Pretty crazy climbing at 21/22 mph on full blast. Those 40+ mph descents on near perfect and spotless track is pretty amazing as well. Aside from one small footlong stretch of sand that had made it's way onto the track and a half inch deep divet of the same length, the track was in immaculate condition. Didn't want to hit those while descending!

Crossing the finish line, with the music blasting and even a few spectators curious about the action just makes you want to rider faster and faster.

4. The expo area is larger than ever. It's now pretty darn difficult covering the whole area by foot, especially if you plan on multiple laps. Having a bike of any kind is very helpful. Bringing a bike along is pretty useful.

5. I finally braved the trails. What lovely trails! The green hills are just so lush and beautiful and quiet: a serene contrast to all of the business and hubbub just over the hill on the opposite side. Gorgeous spectacular vistas and many, many, many miles of single track. A bit of double track as well, or did riders just go off the course? The single track is very sandy and loose and heavily rutted. Unfamiliar with these trails or conditions and having close to zero miles in years off road, I was very cautious.

There were tons of riders which gave me plenty of excuses to get off the trail and rest. Despite heavy use, every last rider was courteous, friendly and encouraging. I suppose they could tell I was struggling a bit, which I was. One sweet gal videotaped me and rallied me up a stretch when I was really hammered lol.

It didn't help that I was wearing street clothes binding in all the wrong spots and neglected to bring any water as well. I would definitely go back for more riding, albeit with a bit better preparation.

5. The community vibe is still amazing, probably best preserved among the trail riders and racers rather than in the expo center, which is becoming province to scavengers constantly looking for freebies and increasingly guarded vendors who are trying to maintain decorum while ambassadoring to the best of their ability.

6. The emtb demo loop was largely abandoned. Some of the kids had wandered over to find an uncrowded loop for themselves. But the short hill is super steep, so they just clogged the top of the hill standing there in exhaustion indefinitely after pushing their bikes up.

I saw very, very few emtb's on the emtb demo loop. They were all out on the racetrack! What's the point of that, really? You can't assess how the bike rides off road on a super smooth, super wide test track. I took several city ebikes on the race-track though.

7. I had no problems with traffic delays. I got there by 8:30 AM though.

Man, writing this up it sounds like I had an absolute blast. Curious because I was kinda bummed by the behavior of some of the vendors at various points.

Sea Otter is still pretty amazing. It's lost a little maybe a lot of it's niche community super-supportive vibe. Maybe a lot. But get out on the trails and/or race and it's family once again.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
    My first sea otter classic was all the way back in 2015 and I was instantly hooked. I've been back every year since then, attending for at least a few hours each year, but trying to spend as much time at the festival each year as possible.

A few things I've noticed:

1. there's still plenty of swag available, but definitely much less than in years past. In '15 in particular, there was sooo much being given away, I was often embarrassed by how much stuff was being grabbed off tables left and right, often without attendees bothering to ask. The vendors always looked the other way.

2. this year, the vendors were the least friendly out of all of the sea otters I've attended. Not to say they were uniformly unfriendly, far from it. But many were indifferent, looked bored, only wanted to talk to fellow employees and so on. A few were even openly rude, sarcastic, or otherwise passive aggressive. I'm not used to that at sea otter.

In years past, I would go grab a coffee then talk to 10 or 15 or 20 vendors in a row and had a blast talking to every single one of them! I often got the impression they were slightly disappointed I was leaving; I didn't want to be rude but with so many awesome companies and vendors I wanted to talk to as many people and vendors as I could in a limited period of time. This year, it was the opposite: even a short talk could fizzle out abruptly.

Usually it was to thank them for making an exceptional product or to reminisce about the early days of mountain biking or whatever. Much of that vibe seems to have been lost. Alternatively, perhaps it's just an odd statistical blip and perhaps things will return to their super friendly days of sea otters' past.

3. I finally found my way to the race track. Are you kidding me?!? Talk about an adrenaline rush! Yeah, I took a couple of ebikes out on the racetrack. Pretty crazy climbing at 21/22 mph on full blast. Those 40+ mph descents on near perfect and spotless track is pretty amazing as well. Aside from one small footlong stretch of sand that had made it's way onto the track and a half inch deep divet of the same length, the track was in immaculate condition. Didn't want to hit those while descending!

Crossing the finish line, with the music blasting and even a few spectators curious about the action just makes you want to rider faster and faster.

4. The expo area is larger than ever. It's now pretty darn difficult covering the whole area by foot, especially if you plan on multiple laps. Having a bike of any kind is very helpful. Bringing a bike along is pretty useful.

5. I finally braved the trails. What lovely trails! The green hills are just so lush and beautiful and quiet: a serene contrast to all of the business and hubbub just over the hill on the opposite side. Gorgeous spectacular vistas and many, many, many miles of single track. A bit of double track as well, or did riders just go off the course? The single track is very sandy and loose and heavily rutted. Unfamiliar with these trails or conditions and having close to zero miles in years off road, I was very cautious.

There were tons of riders which gave me plenty of excuses to get off the trail and rest. Despite heavy use, every last rider was courteous, friendly and encouraging. I suppose they could tell I was struggling a bit, which I was. One sweet gal videotaped me and rallied me up a stretch when I was really hammered lol.

It didn't help that I was wearing street clothes binding in all the wrong spots and neglected to bring any water as well. I would definitely go back for more riding, albeit with a bit better preparation.

5. The community vibe is still amazing, probably best preserved among the trail riders and racers rather than in the expo center, which is becoming province to scavengers constantly looking for freebies and increasingly guarded vendors who are trying to maintain decorum while ambassadoring to the best of their ability.

6. The emtb demo loop was largely abandoned. Some of the kids had wandered over to find an uncrowded loop for themselves. But the short hill is super steep, so they just clogged the top of the hill standing there in exhaustion indefinitely after pushing their bikes up.

I saw very, very few emtb's on the emtb demo loop. They were all out on the racetrack! What's the point of that, really? You can't assess how the bike rides off road on a super smooth, super wide test track. I took several city ebikes on the race-track though.

7. I had no problems with traffic delays. I got there by 8:30 AM though.

Man, writing this up it sounds like I had an absolute blast. Curious because I was kinda bummed by the behavior of some of the vendors at various points.

Sea Otter is still pretty amazing. It's lost a little maybe a lot of it's niche community super-supportive vibe. Maybe a lot. But get out on the trails and/or race and it's family once again.
    thank you for the report!!!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mysharona View Post

My friend said he had the eMTB loop to himself for 30 minutes.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast