mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Sea Otter 2019 Questions

I live in Georgia but my wife and I are in the early stages of talking about vacations for next year. I would love to combine a day or two at Sea Otter with some other stuff in the vicinity that she would like. She's not a biker, by the way.

Can you see most everything in a day or would two days be better? What does everyone consider to be a "can't miss" event/race/demo?

I've been to multiple Bike Weeks in Daytona on a motorcycle so I'm kind of assuming this is similar but for bikes instead of motorcycles. Am I close or way off?

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You definitely cannot see everything in one day but a good one day at Sea Otter would be to go Saturday and spend the morning going through the expo and watch the dual slalom race in the afternoon which I think is the most entertaining spectator event there. Be forewarned that getting in on Saturday is a pain due to heavy traffic though. If you can rent a Subaru for your vehicle do so as Subaru priority parking is well worth it.

Dropshot Champ!
    I'd give sea otter two days.

Hella Olde
    If I was on foot and not racing I'd be pretty sick of the event after a full day. As mentioned, the Pro Dual Slalom is a P A R T Y - bring lots of beer and share! I have seen Euro tourists recoil in (good-natured?) horror at some of the MURICA!!! vibes...Vuvuzela/Beerbong haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
    I live in Georgia but my wife and I are in the early stages of talking about vacations for next year. I would love to combine a day or two at Sea Otter with some other stuff in the vicinity that she would like. She's not a biker, by the way.

Can you see most everything in a day or would two days be better? What does everyone consider to be a "can't miss" event/race/demo?

I've been to multiple Bike Weeks in Daytona on a motorcycle so I'm kind of assuming this is similar but for bikes instead of motorcycles. Am I close or way off?

Thanks for the input!
    Have you ever been to CA?

injured reserve list
    Saturday-Sunscreen,Backpack/Beer,Good walking shoes,Dual Slalom. Then pick her up at the Aquarium/Cannery Row after.
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Have you ever been to CA?
    Hundreds of times - not sure what you’re getting at.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
    Hundreds of times - not sure what you’re getting at.
    No angle or anything. Was just asking. First time visit to our beautiful state can be an experience in itself. I could see someone taking in the scenery and tying in a Sea Otter to add some excitement, that's all. I don't know you, but I want you to have an awesome time.

Easy response to your question is - All four days, are the best days, except maybe Sunday. I myself rely on being at the event Wednesday to get situated, maybe go down to big sur or whatever, then by Thursday get to racing, then hit the eager reps and fellow travelers from afar.

By Sunday, most reps and booth attendants are hung over, sunburned, tired of answering the same questions, and can be difficult to deal with. I enjoy the Monday after ride up in SC with the industry folks and a few laps of Demo Flow. That's always fun.

I know that scrub mentioned backpack and beer, and that is my deal as well, beers and schwaggin, but last year my bag got searched and they told me I couldn't bring my beer in. Which is lame. I found that the industry gate is simple to bring in whatever you want to.

Hella Olde

I know that scrub mentioned backpack and beer, and that is my deal as well, beers and schwaggin, but last year my bag got searched and they told me I couldn't bring my beer in. Which is lame. I found that the industry gate is simple to bring in whatever you want to.
    The only problem with civilian beer is getting into the expo itself. You can bring your own beer anywhere else (DS course for example). Now, where is this Industry Gate?

mtbr member

By Sunday, most reps and booth attendants are hung over, sunburned, tired of answering the same questions, and can be difficult to deal with. I enjoy the Monday after ride up in SC with the industry folks and a few laps of Demo Flow. That's always fun.

Wouldn't Sunday be the best day if you're looking for deals (I heard most of the reps don't want to bring back a lot of stuff so they offer can't pass up deals).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    Saturday-Sunscreen,Backpack/Beer,Good walking shoes,Dual Slalom. Then pick her up at the Aquarium/Cannery Row after.
    Like a boss. Got my stoke meter for Sea Otter rising..

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Are there trails to ride at Laguna Seca? Can you ride the xc course for example in between races?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Wow, thanks for the replies - lots to think about! We'd be flying in and back home again so I'm not sure how much "stuff" I'd be buying anyway but I would like to spend time talking and negotiating with the vendors.

Is the Monday after ride in SC an official thing or just something that the insiders know about? I'd have to rent a bike either way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    westernmtb---Laguna Seca is part of Fort Ord------there is a ton of single track there (over 30 miles)and you can ride the XC course anytime in the year outside of the event----we tend to go thursday and ride it while the pro's practice----but note the course is not the best experience the area has to offer as it has lots of downhill double track----lots of more interesting trails-----the entire area is intermediate---no big features---and it tends to be sandy so fall to spring is best----look at trail forks for loops