Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    Not looking forward to the longer climb on hinh mill

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I heard there were a number of side features, too, if you keep your eyes open.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Nice!

Will report back tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    Nice!

Will report back tomorrow.
    Take some video

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I kinda wished they put a black diamond sign there to discourage the n00bs thinking it's like Flow Trail

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post

My thought exactly. Too bad no ebike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Last time it was open, I still had some latent road bike fitness. That's long gone. Now its just banana slug speed time up Hihn's/Sulphur

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I rode down Highland Way this morning. Before you drive up, I would check on when they are closing the road. Advertised delays of up to 2 hours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Woo! Hoo! More climbing! :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I kinda wished they put a black diamond sign there to discourage the n00bs thinking it's like Flow Trail
    Does that mean it is more technical than before? It wasn't very technical before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Does that mean it is more technical than before? It wasn't very technical before.
    Less technical - in BC this trail would be a green - and that is no way disparaging or taking anything away from how cool of a trail it is and how much beautiful work went into it, especially the wood work - but it is not technical - I have ridden more technical trails in Squamish that were labeled as green

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Can the next trail built (likely 20 years from now given the pace of new legal singletrack in the Bay) be an actual black please? One way to discourage poaching is to build challenging legal trails. Builders do it in Squamish, Moab, St. George, Whistler, Jackson, etc. Why not Santa Cruz or the surrounding area?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ridge is the same down to the rock garden, and the little climb after. thats where sawpit starts. then sawpit is the same for the first 1/3 to 1/2. then you hit the new section of trail. its pretty smooth right now but there is a surprise man made "rock garden". I'm sure it will erode into something rougher eventually but like skyno says its green rated.

mbtr member
    Has anyone posted a helmet cam of the new trail yet?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by loll View Post
    too bad no ebike.
    Something tells me we'll see plenty of e-bikes on that trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Has anyone posted a helmet cam of the new trail yet?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bgzJADyN9TA#dialog

Not my footage but from someone this past weekend..

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ Um, that's from 2015!
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    ^^ Um, that's from 2015!
    Good catch...the person posted it "this past weekend", so assumed it was....my bad lol

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

Paper or plastic?
    So, full of berms and sweet jumps?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ok! Awaiting a first hand report, and a report on this possible construction delay on Highland.

Gotta get in shape for a 3 lap visit.

mtbr member

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Looks cool. Gotta make a Santa Cruz trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Rode it today.

Took a really bad spill early in the ride before even getting to sawpit, so my ride was basically over. But I drove all the way there and wanted to see the trail, so I carried on and rode it at banana slug speed. First half or so seems unchanged. I would say itís a green trail as well with a few spicy bits. Dig the elven bridge.

Also, it was 96 degrees. F me.

Finally, road closure forced me into parking 2.5 miles up on Highland. There are two different stop light sections when the road is open. Highly recommended you come in from the other direction. Would be great if someone could post up the ideal way for those of us who come down the 880/17 way.

trekker
    Jul 2005
    The first half is meh. As soon as the climb that's in the middle of the route is over, it gets a lot better.

I wouldn't call it a full green line trail because of a couple features like the rock garden near the end, but most if the trail is easy. Like everyone remembers or was told, difficulty is between flow and braille. Closer to flow, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sorry to hear about your fall, shapethings.

The newly opened part of ridge that leads to sawpit is in good shape - loamy with with some soft pitted berms which are fun to push the bike into. Hopefully itíll stay baking bump free. Lots of the old plank features are still there too.

It was fun riding the big rock garden again after so many years. It seemed a bit easier for some reason but note that the last section of the rockfall right line still has a fairly consequential drop. You can take a slower line around it but worth having a look before you pull-up.

The new sawpit was fun. It did remind me of the old sawpit. Itís very narrow at the moment so not much line choice. There are a few places asking to be doubled. It will be interesting to see how it matures. Beautiful bridge work. The final manmade rock garden was a surprise. There are few short, steep sections but nothing like Braille. Looking forward to riding it again now that I know what to expect, but, at the moment would choose to ride Braille or flow over it.

Thank you to Calfire and MBOSC for making this trail happen! Demo is a true gem and we are very fortunate to have it.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    The first half (it's the same flat part as the old Saw Pit) has 4 years of leave so it needs to be ridden/raked. Do your part. It's pretty straight so it's hard to swish with your tire. But, more folks riding it will be good for it.

That climb out of Saw Pit... OOF. Makes a 2-lap plan a 1-lapper. Or a Flow 'barely making it out' fitness to 'crampy'.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
    The first half is meh. As soon as the climb that's in the middle of the route is over, it gets a lot better.

I wouldn't call it a full green line trail because of a couple features like the rock garden near the end, but most if the trail is easy. Like everyone remembers or was told, difficulty is between flow and braille. Closer to flow, though.
    So you just blasted the first rock garden, then zipped the 2nd rock garden, flew over the drop off onto the roots like it was a smooth flow trail. Impressive. are you giving lessons. I'll pay in beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    everybodys complaining about the longer climb out ? how much further down is the new sawpit exit onto hilns fr than the old sawpit exit ? or people just not used to riding sawpit trail before

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    The first half (it's the same flat part as the old Saw Pit) has 4 years of leave so it needs to be ridden/raked. Do your part. It's pretty straight so it's hard to swish with your tire. But, more folks riding it will be good for it.

That climb out of Saw Pit... OOF. Makes a 2-lap plan a 1-lapper. Or a Flow 'barely making it out' fitness to 'crampy'.

fc
    Lol at least your honest.. lol just what I thought..smh

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burpp View Post
    everybodys complaining about the longer climb out ? how much further down is the new sawpit exit onto hilns fr than the old sawpit exit ? or people just not used to riding sawpit trail before
    I thought I saw it added a mile? I could be wrong..FC?

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    A couple ride vids of the new trail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvLKco6W2Lo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsJhz0CU9sM

Full disclosure: I haven't watched either, so I can't vouch for quality.
    2017 Jamis DragonSlayer Pro
    1995 Trek 930

mbtr member
    Rode it this evening!

The top half- like from tractor to just past the first climb, is almost exactly how you remember it. The rock/root garden on the ridge has gotten a little sketch, but i think a new line will appear with time. I loved the top of sawpit, so i'm happy it's as it was.

The lower half used to be a road, and it's much better now. Lots of little features to double and things to pay attention to. Right now it has some oddly shaped take-offs, but those will fix themselves with riding. Also has some big off camber chunks, which i don't like, but it's novel and i think will improve. The bottom is still fast like it used to be, but much more interesting.

Unfortunately a couple short, punchy climbs were added to the bottom half. I'm not a fan.

Overall, it's great! I think it will be even better after a season or two of riding. Looking forward to riding it again.

Quote Originally Posted by o3zone View Post
    The final manmade rock garden was a surprise.
    Yeah! That thing sketched me out. Not that it was difficult or anything, but you approach it blind, and there's no natural reason for a little spiky rock garden to be there. It's gonna give someone a bad day.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by burpp View Post
    tbh, it didn't feel as bad as I remember. Think it is .5 mile from bottom of flow. I zoned out and was pleasantly surprised when I got to the bottom of flow.

mtbr member
    needs to be ridden/raked. Do your part.

fc
    Really, "it needs to be raked" $7k bike can't handle a few leaves on the bowling alley saw pit. Or rider has no skills.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Another trail can help spread riders out a little more, if it drops onto Hihn's mill in the same spot it's only a couple of corners from bottom of flow. No big deal. Sawpit Always my favorite, I like more natural terrain like Braille over flow. But all awesome trails for sure. MBOSC does a great job. Thanks!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Really, "it needs to be raked" $7k bike can't handle a few leaves on the bowling alley saw pit. Or rider has no skills.
    Ahh, not talking about the rock garden. There is about a mile+ of flattish trail after the old Tractor entrance. It's full of leaves and the speed is gone. It was always pretty cool decades ago but it's more of a slog now. It can be brought back to life pretty easily.

The bowling alley, pretty interesting since you can't see rocks. That'll get cleared up naturally really quickly since that's all bike English and handling maneuvers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sawpit OPEN!-screen-shot-2020-05-29-8.08.49-am.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Ahh, not talking about the rock garden. There is about a mile+ of flattish trail after the old Tractor entrance. It's full of leaves and the speed is gone. It was always pretty cool decades ago but it's more of a slog now. It can be brought back to life pretty easily.

The bowling alley, pretty interesting since you can't see rocks. That'll get cleared up naturally really quickly since that's all bike English and handling maneuvers.
    Rocks the size of bowling balls right?

mbtr member
    There is about a mile+ of flattish trail after the old Tractor entrance. It's full of leaves and the speed is gone. It was always pretty cool decades ago but it's more of a slog now. It can be brought back to life pretty easily.
    Nooooooo.....!

The flat cornering with the leaves was the best part! Slide through every corner. If you think the speed is gone, that's on you!
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Re the climb: Itís a very easy from the bottom of sawpit to the bottom of flow. Maybe 5 minutes and not steep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Rode it this morning: it's a fun new addition, but after novelty wears off, not sure how often I will ride it.

Top is flat and loamy - fun for now. It gets steeper further down with couple unavoidable rock gardens, and committing root drop (with ride around). Everything else is pretty mellow, although overall grade is steeper than Flow. Side features are still there and about as sketchy as ones on Braille.

Newly bit section is a bit awkward as people pointed out. But if more people keep riding it enough, all these grade reversals might turn into decent kickers when maintaining enough speed.

mtbr member
    Quick tip for the climb out of Sawpit: Just think for a second about doing a ride like this and you'll feel better: https://www.strava.com/activities/2720784835

fc
    Nooooooo.....!

The flat cornering with the leaves was the best part! Slide through every corner. If you think the speed is gone, that's on you!
    There's no corners... basically straight.
    IPA will save America

mbtr member
    There's no corners... basically straight.
    Oh, you're talking about the section with all the sketchy wood kickers? I like those too. Didn't notice how slow it is cuz i was nostalgia-ing so hard. I <3 sawpit!
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Just rode it today, I thought it was fun with all the random features and the varied, natural terrain. To the people that are calling this a green trail, IMO that is quite inaccurate. Green to me means a beginner trail, for someone is brand new to the sport. Like Calero or Fremont Older.

If a true green beginner attempted Sawpit, they would either hate you forever for making them attempt it and having to walk so much, or they would break a bone or two.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    why is it so. damn. off camber

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I took my first ride today. I rode Sawpit just twice before it closed, when I was much closer to a beginner. The last time I crashed pretty hard on that big exposed root (do not roll the left hand line). I had walked the rock garden both times.

Today we sized up the root drop and I just did the ride-around, but I rode the old and new rock gardens and everything else. I would not agree that itís a beginner trail but itís true that relatively new riders could enjoy most of it.

I was surprised at how much of the trail was familiar. I think people who liked it before will be happy to see the first part with all the old routing and features. It was really fun. After the climb thereís an interesting transition to a trail that is somewhat similar but more modern with grade reversals, flow features and rock armoring. MBOSC canít please everyone but they have my greatest respect for the work they are doing.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    now we can ride down braille, up sulpher, down flow, up tractor and down sawpit. finish up with hihn's mill climb. makes me hungry to think about it. hopefully we'll be able to kick back at summit store patio for a sandwich and beer soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cave man View Post
    now we can ride down braille, up sulpher, down flow, up tractor and down sawpit. finish up with hihn's mill climb. makes me hungry to think about it. hopefully we'll be able to kick back at summit store patio for a sandwich and beer soon.
    Don't forget ridge and corral!
    Sawpit OPEN!-screen-shot-2020-05-30-9.06.51-am.png

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    cuz i was nostalgia-ing so hard. I <3 sawpit!
    "Nostalgia-ing" olds sections had me cheeky smiling late afternoon yesterday. I think it is the old school lack of sight line in the forest feel with terrain matching speed to grade to turn factor that makes it so different. I guess it is called a natural flow?

Not so much on Lower SP (new sections). Having worked the bridges and lowest sections on Dig Days felt great to ride thru but, the many grade reversals coupled with flow killing speed checks and a few "crashes are gonna happen here" outside off camber turn thoughts had me wondering if I just stopped nostalgia-ing or what.
    Overall think it will take some time for it to all come into it's own.

For me, a quick detour up Tractor to run Flow 3-6 made bike and I happy again and recommend to plan on that.

And considering beginner's will walk a few sections really does tip it out of a Green rating.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by brucero View Post
    Don't forget ridge and corral!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.06.51 AM.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	395.8 KB 
ID:	1337357
    Oh yeah.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Rode it today - I like it and it is a great addition to demo. Never rode the old version, my buddy on a ridgid bike didnít like the techie bits and preferred flow. Got me thinking at the end, Where does Hihns road go if you go left or down?

Many thanks to those who worked on bringing more singletrack options to ride.

Sawpit OPEN!-a8da6bc5-18ea-4fca-a38e-363ad2261cc5.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cave man View Post
    Does Tractor take you to top of Sawpit? I hadn't ridden it before? Better or worse than suffer?

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Does Tractor take you to top of Sawpit? I hadn't ridden it before? Better or worse than suffer?

Yes takes you to top of Sawpit - it's only about 10x worse than suffer - seriously though, it's mostly just the top that is quite steep with some parts being HAB for probably 90+% of riders

mtbr member
    excited to try it

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Alright guys, take your pitchforks out: someone cut down that root yesterday. It was still there on Friday, today it's gone.

Sawpit OPEN!-img_1281.jpg

mtbr member
    How was the dirt at Demo today( sun)?

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Perfect. Never seen so many people there - cars parked along the road for about a mile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by noblige View Post
    Alright guys, take your pitchforks out: someone cut down that root yesterday. It was still there on Friday, today it's gone.
    That's too bad. Is that a hip jump riding left or a roller going right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That's too bad. Is that a hip jump riding left or a roller going right?
    I would be hard-pressed to call it a jump but yes, it's now rollable from both sides.

mbtr member

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	532.7 KB 
ID:	1337621
    I'm okay with that. It was a much harder/higher consequence feature than anything else on the trail. I was leading ducklings today and i took them on the alternate line.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Paper or plastic?
    Dirt was amazing. Tomorrow should be all time. We rode flow and had a great time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sweet, less than a week after official opening and people are already making the trail easier. if you want easier please go ride midpen or something and stay away from demo

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    sweet, less than a week after official opening and people are already making the trail easier. if you want easier please go ride midpen or something and stay away from demo
    Just so we're clear about your whining, you've ridden the reopened sawpit, right?
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    That's too cool! Thanks for posting Mr Fittee!.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Havenít ridden the new sawpit but this recent trend of making trails easier is occurring on my local trails also. I donít get it. Not very trail should be able to be ridden by everyone. If itís too difficult work on your skills, progress and then have the satisfaction of being able to ride it! Our bikes are way more capable now than ever, why are people neutering trails?

mtbr member

I bet it was an e-biker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ With white socks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    Havenít ridden the new sawpit but this recent trend of making trails easier is occurring on my local trails also. I donít get it. Not very trail should be able to be ridden by everyone. If itís too difficult work on your skills, progress and then have the satisfaction of being able to ride it! Our bikes are way more capable now than ever, why are people neutering trails?
    I concur. There are plenty of beginner trails and very, very few technically advanced trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It is not a beginner trail. And if you find it too easy, just ride it faster - the grade changes and off camber parts are really really fun at speed and there are few good sections to manual. Itís also by far the loosest trail at demo at the moment, lots of places to drift. It really felt like surfing dirt today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by o3zone View Post
    It is not a beginner trail. And if you find it too easy, just ride it faster - the grade changes and off camber parts are really really fun at speed and there are few good sections to manual. Itís also by far the loosest trail at demo at the moment, lots of places to drift. It really felt like surfing dirt today.
    Iíve got a shovel, a saw, and an ebike. We can make it a beginner trail if you want. Someone already helping out on those pesky roots. Lol

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    For context- the old rock/root garden here was the crux move on the trail. There was an obvious alternate line, you could size it up on approach, and it was incrementally harder than the rest of the trail.

The alternate line is overgrown, now. You have to know about it in advance.

The Root made it so you (i, and i'm more than decent) couldn't safely ride it blind, and it was several notches more difficult because you had about 8' to set up for the next moderately challenging rock patch.

Sawpit is an easy blue with some easy black alternate lines/features. This feature was a legit black when you knew it was coming, and you couldn't read-and-run it safely.

If there was anything else on sawpit that indicated 'yo! check yourself before you dive in!' then cutting that root was a dick move. But there isn't, and since it's a floating root surrounded by mushy dirt, you can't even rely on last year's memory to know how to run it. It was a bad feature, and altering it was appropriate. I rode the original feature and the Root before it was removed, fwiw.

(i agree in principle. Even on the revamped sawpit there are some great challenging features that were removed, and some illogical manmade stuff that was added. It's dumbed-down and harder at the same time. It's a common problem on trails where land is valuable and labor is cheap.)
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    For context- the old rock/root garden here was the crux move on the trail. There was an obvious alternate line, you could size it up on approach, and it was incrementally harder than the rest of the trail.

The alternate line is overgrown, now. You have to know about it in advance.

The Root made it so you (i, and i'm more than decent) couldn't safely ride it blind, and it was several notches more difficult because you had about 8' to set up for the next moderately challenging rock patch.

Sawpit is an easy blue with some easy black alternate lines. This feature was a legit black when you knew it was coming, and you couldn't read-and-run it safely.

If there was anything else on sawpit that indicated 'yo! check yourself before you dive in!' then cutting that root was a dick move. But there isn't, and since it's a floating root surrounded by mushy dirt, you can't even rely on last year's memory to know how to run it. It was a bad feature.

(i agree in principle. Even on the revamped sawpit there are some great challenging features that were removed, and some illogical manmade stuff that was added. It's dumbed-down and harder at the same time. It's a common problem where lanvaluable and labor is cheap.)
    Thanks for the details. I was just speaking in general as an overall trend Iíve been seeing lately. Weíve had 2 of our local trails most notable technical features altered to take them down a level or two. Major rocks being moved, roots cut, new go around lines appearing, etc. Its a major bummer. Also, part of the fun for me is checking out different lines with my buddies and seeing which ones go and which ones donít. Riding a trail blind should have a certain level of caution involved. If there are some sketchy sections you want to hit faster or send farther stop, check them out, and figure out the good lines.

mtbr member
    May 2007

What dirt demo? Sponsored by who and why was I not invited?
    I like using other people's bikes and crashing them. I was at N* and YT had a demo. I crashed a new Jeffsy the guy said he put together for the demo 2 days before.

mtbr member
    May 2007

I carry zip ties to tie people to trees for this kind of offense.

I don't understand why people ruin it for us.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm okay with that. It was a much harder/higher consequence feature than anything else on the trail. I was leading ducklings today and i took them on the alternate line.
    Yes, the right way to do it. Don't sanitize, less experienced riders get the easy line.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I bet it was an e-biker.
    ^^ With white socks.
    I have a pair of riding socks that used to be white

I'm on a few Norcal emtb facebook (FB) groups. I will share my concerns there about that sanitizing trails is punishable by having your battery pulled at the bottom of the climb to get out

mtbr member
    May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I bet it was an e-biker.
    Wait, is it the dropoff at the end of the rock garden that drops you into roots?
    Last edited by ziscwg; 06-02-2020 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I rode the 'pit on Saturday and it was awesome. It was so nice to shred the original trail in perfect wet conditions.

I noticed the no e-bikes sign at the top of Ridge was removed in the past few weeks. I also saw quite a few ebikes out there 2 days ago. The CalFire SDF page still says no e-bikes, as does the letter on the kiosk.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/programs/res...orests/soquel/

What's the deal? Just some *ickheads removing the sign? It would be nice to have one area around these parts free of the buzzy bikes.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider View Post
    I noticed the no e-bikes sign at the top of Ridge was removed in the past few weeks. I also saw quite a few ebikes out there 2 days ago. The CalFire SDF page still says no e-bikes, as does the letter on the kiosk.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/programs/res...orests/soquel/

What's the deal? Just some *ickheads removing the sign? It would be nice to have one area around these parts free of the buzzy bikes.
    TBH demo is a perfect location for mopeds since it's all directional, the climbs are doubletrack, and there isn't any non-cyclists to spook. The moped community need to band together and advocate for their own access.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    For clarification, the context of Sawpit being a green trail was specifically answering a question about the technicality of the new re-route section, which is fun but not at all technical - definitely not saying it's not good, or isn't challenging if ridden at mach 10

I stated that it would be a green in Squamish, which when you do the Canadian conversion, is a more of a blue in California

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode Sawpit yesterday, and near the bottom there is a log jump on the left that can't be rolled and doesn't have an easy landing zone. It is not the one pictured earlier in this thread. I think it is the biggest feature on the whole trail, and you can't see its size until you ride past it. All the other features on Sawpit were easy or intermediate level, but this one is expert level.

Sawpit OPEN!-img_2689.jpg

Sawpit OPEN!-img_2688.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nice, that feature looks fun!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I rode Sawpit yesterday, and near the bottom there is a log jump on the left that can't be rolled and doesn't have an easy landing zone. It is not the one pictured earlier in this thread. I think it is the biggest feature on the whole trail, and you can't see its size until you ride past it. All the other features on Sawpit were easy or intermediate level, but this one is expert level.

Cool, I agree too. No clear landing zone .......until you rotate your jump approach 90 deg clockwise

default title
    Mar 2008
    I'm only speaking for myself here (what else is new) but that jump doesn't look like official mbosc workmanship. Using old burned redwood in the approach? There were poachers already on the trail before calfire allowed it to open, my bet is gnar-gnar fairies.

The trail build spec for most of the trail was to keep as much of the natural terrain as possible so yes, that meant off camber and yes that meant natural roots. I'm not surprised that someone is cutting out roots but I am surprised that it's happening so fast.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member

what is up with 1990 uploading menu?

Name:  ebikeSign1.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  34.7 KBName:  ebikeSign2.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  35.8 KB

what is up with 1990 uploading menu?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trespinero View Post
    Got me thinking at the end, Where does Hihns road go if you go left or down?
    Google Maps says it hooks into existing/bigger roads... eventually. I have not verified this personally, and who even knows if it's all public.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Not sure what MBOSC meant by ďletting tread to wear in naturallyĒ, but lower Sawpit is now beat to shit. Cannot believe itís only been a month!