Saw my first mountain lion today- Mtbr.com
    zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

Saw my first mountain lion today

I was on the FHDL and decided to explore one of the south side spurs that drop into the canyon. I rode to the top of the rdige and stopped for a bit to enjoy the view when about 75 to 100 yards in front of me a big male lion casually loped accross the trail! It was a freaky, sureal sight! I couldnt beleive it! I have been hunting, fishing, backpacking, hiking, and riding all over the western US for over 40 years and have never seen a big cat,, damn it was impressive! I deffinetly got a nice adrenalin rush. Needless to say the remainder of my ride I was a wee bit parinoid, especially riding solo.
    BTW, the Auburn/Forest Hill trails are in outstanding condition. Virtually mud free and very fast.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! I concede...

That one trumps our incident today. We were happy to not see a cat today.

FYI: I'm not trying to sound "Anti-Nature", but a cat that so nonchelantly comes close to humans is a potential danger. It's no longer intimidated, which as many have seen recently, equates to "I'm not hungry right now, but will remember your smell for later."

Pass what you saw to local fish and game, as is standard recommended procedure. As we encroach more and more into their habitat, the cats lose their fear, and see a potential meal in us.

You were lucky, not just to be (?)priviliged to see the cat, but to get away safe and clear. They're not your household kitty's. Glad to hear you came out ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr dismember

Culvert status?

As I recall the Culvert was going to be cosed for a while? I'm thinking of trying to get a ride together there next Saturday (5/6), about 25 -30 miler. Is that doable without the Culvert?

I saw a Mt. Lion last year at New Melones and I thought it was pretty cool. On the second loop around that trail I started out trying to be quiet in hopes of seeing it again. Then I realized that was probably a stupid idea.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    The culvert trail was in great condition. The only mud was in the culvert itself. There were quite a few new "features" on the culvert trail built by the downhillers so if you feel like doing a few gaps you will be impressed.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Your first big cat is alway memorable...

We've seen evidence of a large male at Sweetwater/Salmon Falls area (large prints in the mud) and a few years back we ran into a mother and cub IN Granite Bay park. By Dante's Point.

-Aaron
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

"Its All Good"
    You are all very licky that you can have the chance to see these types of wildlife, in New Zealand we have the chance to see a deer. No biggie either, common as, but we have nothing that can eat us...

Now living in Spain, have not yet seen whats out there, more than NZ I would imagine....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member

nice

That's much better than seeing your last mountain lion.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    a cat that so nonchelantly comes close to humans is a potential danger. It's no longer intimidated, which as many have seen recently, equates to "I'm not hungry right now, but will remember your smell for later."... the cats lose their fear, and see a potential meal in us.
    That's a load of crap. If it were true, people would be getting attacked all the time. Mountain Lions are not rare, but attacks are extremely rare. 13 fatalities in 110 years in the state of California. You have a much higher chance of being struck by lightning, about 100x chance of winning the lottery, and you're 100,000 times more likely to get killed in your car on the way to the trailhead than by a lion on the trail.

Don't let irrational fear get in the way of enjoying such a magnificent part of nature.

The two cats in your pictures are probably equally dangerous to humans.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    the big cats have no reasons to fear us.
    And even less reason to attack and eat us.

You could kill a cow, cut off a hunk and cook it up, but why bother when you can drive through McD's?

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    That's a load of crap. If it were true, people would be getting attacked all the time. Mountain Lions are not rare, but attacks are extremely rare. 13 fatalities in 110 years in the state of California. You have a much higher chance of being struck by lightning, about 100x chance of winning the lottery, and you're 100,000 times more likely to get killed in your car on the way to the trailhead than by a lion on the trail...

OK. The chances of me getting eaten by an African Lion are probablly equaly as remote,, unless I decide to go for a walk in the African savavnah. Then I bet my odds change dramatically. Statistics for the US population as a whole will be a lot different than for a segment of the population that puts its self into the cats enviorment, dont 'cha think?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Did anybody see the Discovery Channel program the other day about survivors of animal attacks? A couple of them were mountain lion attack survivors and one was a salt water crocadile survivor. One of the lion survivors was a bicyclist, he was commuting so he was saved by a guy who drove up on the scene. If that guy hadn't driven up, he would have been kitty kibble for sure. Most people who are attacked by lions never see the animal until they are staring into the animal's eye a few inches away holding them in a death grip.

I have seen one in Henry Coe. I was alone, but I was never afraid. But then again, it was going the other way....

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Statistics for the US population as a whole will be a lot different than for a segment of the population that puts its self into the cats enviorment, dont 'cha think?
    I'm only talking about sunny CA, where a large percentage of the population lives in their environment, even if they don't go hiking or biking. If mountain lions ate people little kids walking to school or playing in their hilly, woody neighborhoods would be disappearing all the time.

What I'm saying is that you're way more likely to get killed on any given day in your car, but you don't post on the internet trying to scare people out of their cars, do you?

What I'm also saying is that Mountain Lions are arguably the coolest thing you'll ever see in our local natural world. They should not be feared, but cherished.

mtbr member
    What I'm also saying is that Mountain Lions are arguably the coolest thing you'll ever see in our local natural world. They should not be feared, but cherished.
    Ding Ding Ding!

I've only seen one about 10 years ago, popped out on a fireroad about 30 yards in front of me, ran down the road abit then shot up the hill beside it. Even though it unnerved me a bit, I felt privileged to be able to see it.

Silence! I kill you!

I've only seen two so far in the wild, both at Santa Teresa. Both times I was a bit frightened cause I didn't expect to see a cat (first time was a BIG cat) on the trail. The second time when I saw it since it was small I thought it was a bobcar, until I saw the tail. I have to agree, except for a sunset or two I've seen while nightriding, seeing those cats has been the coolest thing.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    I've only seen two so far in the wild, both at Santa Teresa. Both times I was a bit frightened cause I didn't expect to see a cat (first time was a BIG cat) on the trail. The second time when I saw it since it was small I thought it was a bobcar, until I saw the tail. I have to agree, except for a sunset or two I've seen while nightriding, seeing those cats has been the coolest thing.

same here, iveo nly seen 2, both at santa teresa. one very close to bernal road where the old road is, and the other was at the end of rocy ridge trail by the small bridge across the stream. it was scarry but very memorable. i hope to see more, just saftley, even if they wont harm me, its kinda a comfort thing

mtbr member
    I'm only talking about sunny CA, where a large percentage of the population lives in their environment, even if they don't go hiking or biking. If mountain lions ate people little kids walking to school or playing in their hilly, woody neighborhoods would be disappearing all the time.

What I'm saying is that you're way more likely to get killed on any given day in your car, but you don't post on the internet trying to scare people out of their cars, do you?

I would be more afraid of the mountain lions I don't see than the ones I do (none yet).

Apr 2006
    That's funny that you mentioned that Discovery Channel show. I did see it and was thinking of it the whole time I was reading this post. There were a few guys that got into it with the big cats. The one dude ended up stabbing the one on him to death, however the cat got one of his eyes and also put him through about a day of plastic surgery. I haven't seen one, but I'm sure if I did it would be cool after I was home and thinking about it, but on the trail I'd be crapping my pants and paranoid for the rest of the ride.

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBSfreerider
    same here, iveo nly seen 2, both at santa teresa. one very close to bernal road where the old road is, and the other was at the end of rocy ridge trail by the small bridge across the stream. it was scarry but very memorable. i hope to see more, just saftley, even if they wont harm me, its kinda a comfort thing
    Was the one by Bernal rd a small one? Cause thats where I saw one of them. The big cat was down by the stream crossing heading towards Stile Ranch.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Members who have read this thread: 0