Save Mount Diablo 2007 Group Rides- Mtbr.com
    Feeling a little taller

Save Mount Diablo 2007 Group Rides

Once again, we're gearing up for the Spring on the Mountain series of group rides. These rides have been well organized and in great numbers for the last few years by Save Mount Diablo and Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay.

As it is early in the season, we're looking to plan the group rides now and need volunteers to lead the various rides. SMD is interested in rides in the greater Mount Diablo area parks: http://www.savemountdiablo.org/whole%20map.jpg (full sized)

If you are interested in leading a ride during a weekend between March 15 and June 15 in one (or more) of the parks shown on this map, then please contact me for more information.

For ideas and past information, check these previous MTBR threads:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=145113
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=164412
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=182658

Hope to see you there!

For each ride, I need:
    1) Date
    2) Time (Meeting and Ride Start)
    3) Meeting Place
    4) Approximate route and/or a description of the ride
    5) Approximate expected distance and finish time
    6) Technical, Strenuousity and Overall (T/S/O) ratings from 1-10
    7) contact information for people to RSVP for rides.

Rules to keep in mind:
    A waiver will be filled out and signed by all participants. I will provide you with a waiver, either by hyperlink or hardcopy. This is critical!!!
    Please keep the route to legal trails and to the parks shown on the SMD map.
    Riders are required to wear helmets throughout the ride.

So far, the only date I have is for Saturday, May 19th. I don't mind having co-leaders for this one but I am planning a super-mega 50-60 mile epic ride with shorter/slower subgroups in addition.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan'ger; 01-18-2007 at 12:26 PM.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    I would be interested in leading one again this year.

VTT
    mtbr member
    Dan, I take one in Black Diamond Mines, starting from Clayton...

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by VTT
    Dan, I take one in Black Diamond Mines, starting from Clayton...
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    I would be interested in leading one again this year.
    Excellent news guys! Do you have a date/route in mind?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Diablo ride

We had a great ride Sunday on Diablo. Took two virgins to the top for sacrifice!

Just over 20 miles and 4,170 feet of climbing. Macedo Ranch to Wall Point to Summit Trail (passed 2,000') to the road to the top. Down to Juniper campground out Deer Flat Road to Burma. Down Mother's Trail (which was Mother F'er steep downhill and tight) to Angel Kerley Rd to Diablo Ranch trail. Then half a mile on the raod to Buckeye Trail singletrack up some very steep sections conviently located after crossing streambeds (3x). Buckeye Trail to Stage Road to BBQ terrace to Dustry Raod and back up Wall Point back to the trail head.

We met a 95 yo lady at the top - on vacation born in SF that couldn't believe we rode up to the top. Her son took a picture of her with my bike. Told her she could tell her friends she rode up there! She was also interested in my Camelbak - thought it was for oxygen - she had never seen one. Imagine all the change she has seen being born in 1912.

Miscellaneous observations.....
    • Burma had some incredible vistas out North.
    • Wall Point is a much better way to get to the junction than BBQ terrace. More scenic and a little technical to keep your mind off the climbing.
    • Mother is steep like no other. I had to lower my seatpost and hang off the back to stay on the bike. Rim brakes guy was sliding both front and back wheels because his pads were on fire.
    • We saw two foxes - one that looked like he was going to be prey for a very large bird, but it never happened.

I want to try this ride on a smaller scale by eliminating the top and just going to Junipero or going to the Junction and skipping Mother's and Diablo Ranch trail.

I'm up for leading one of the rides, just let me know when. I will also bring a few others along (4-8 riders)

-Alex
    "Nothing is free."

Fargo Ti / Jones TI Spaceframe SS / Mukluk Ti / Foundry Cross / Colnago Master / Cannondale Tandem

VTT
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Tomorrow afternoon at 2:00 pm

BDM gets very muddy during the rainy season, so it could be a good idea to wait until late Spring, around May. We could do the "grand tour" which is about 22 miles for 4600 feet of climbing and takes 2 1/2-3 hours of riding.

mtbr member
    I could do the loop around top from Mitchell Canyon, or something on the Northgate side, but B_Aero may be able to cover that.

Medium?

What about during MBTB9?

If someone plans a ride on Saturday May 19th, you could fill the last May by the Bay slot, and fit well into a distinct, yet-still-secret theme.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    If someone plans a ride on Saturday May 19th, you could fill the last May by the Bay slot, and fit well into a distinct, yet-still-secret theme.
    Looks like I will actually be in town for a MBTB. I can do a ride then if the location works.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by B_Aero
    We had a great ride Sunday on Diablo. Took two virgins to the top for sacrifice!
    -Alex
    Sounds like a great ride. We did a similar route a few months ago.

Pick a date within the range and it's yours!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    i'm interested in joining you guys for a ride... Want to see how XC capable my new bike is... so far looks pretty promising... XD

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    I would love to add a Mt. Diablo 60+ mile epic fireroad slog that explores all of the legal singletrack and other narrow trails on Mt. Diablo in 1 huge ride as a MBTB ride.

Don't we usually ride Santa Cruz the first weekend Annadel and Boggs the second weekend to do a camping thing? Diablo's got camping too but we'd probably have to jump on the reservations if we're doing something like that.

mtbr member
    I would love to add a Mt. Diablo 60+ mile epic fireroad slog that explores all of the legal singletrack and other narrow trails on Mt. Diablo in 1 huge ride as a MBTB ride.

Don't we usually ride Santa Cruz the first weekend Annadel and Boggs the second weekend to do a camping thing? Diablo's got camping too but we'd probably have to jump on the reservations if we're doing something like that.
    Brilliant! Do all the Spring on Diablo rides on the same day back-to-back. I like the idea.

Problem is, the ride I generally do from here is about 14 miles with 4,000 feet vertical. So, if you extrapolate that out to 60 miles, you are looking at just over 17,000 feet of climbing.

There may be a way to go up one side, head down another, and maybe take a flatish way around the mountain. There is a lot of property that is still private around the foothills so that might require some road riding. I can take a look at a map, but haven't spent much time on the Danville side myself.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Brilliant! Do all the Spring on Diablo rides on the same day back-to-back. I like the idea.

Problem is, the ride I generally do from here is about 14 miles with 4,000 feet vertical. So, if you extrapolate that out to 60 miles, you are looking at just over 17,000 feet of climbing.

There may be a way to go up one side, head down another, and maybe take a flatish way around the mountain. There is a lot of property that is still private around the foothills so that might require some road riding. I can take a look at a map, but haven't spent much time on the Danville side myself.
    Considering that the "Dirt Death" ride usually goes from the Lafayette BART station to the Pittsburg/Bay Point BART and road riding is normal for that, I would not have a problem with a few isolated miles of pavement to make the ride.

In addition, I don't think I ever suggested going to the peak in this route, although it would be a great climax to the ride to do so.

Mike McCormack suggested using the Morgan Territory campground for MTB group camping. The only problem to this plan is that there is no water available at the campground. However, I think that we have enough non-biking spouses and friends that can supply water, food, grills and other transportables to or near the site.

Feeling a little taller
    I've got rides from EBrider and VTT as well as a couple of non-MTBR folks for the following dates:

Chris T. - April 7 - Intermediate - Monte Vista HS to Dan Cook and Wall Point
    Steve B. - April 21 - Intermediate - Mitchell Cyn to Summit
    Nick M. - April 28 - Intermediate - Shell Ridge to Pine Canyon
    Drew B. - May 5 - Beginner - Macedo to Shell Ridge
    Mel C. - May 12 - Beginner/Intermediate - Macedo to Borges
    Alain - May 12 - Intermediate - Black Diamond Mines from Clayton
    Alex - June 17 - Intermediate/Advanced - Macedo to Mother's

It would be great if I could add more dates to this series of rides.

edited dates
    Last edited by Dan'ger; 02-01-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0