Santa Teresa recommended routes- Mtbr.com
    utilitarian biker

Santa Teresa recommended routes

Despite living in SJ, I rarely ride here. Anyone recommend a good route?

Planning on going early Wed. morning this week.

Thanks

Silence! I kill you!
    My favorite route is go up the singletrack on the left side of Bernal Rd, up Coyote Peak, down Rocky Ridge, then take Mine to Stiles (Towards the upper parking lot) and down the switchbacks. Then for the sake of extra climbing/riding, I'll take the Bernal/Vista Loop, and then either go down Joyce Ranch or down Mine. I'm gonna start riding my SS there alot now so I can get in shape for May by the Bay
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Slowest Rider

Also from Harry Rd.

From South SJ, you can get easy access via Harry Rd. Take Almaden Expwy all the way until it ends at Harry Rd. Then turn left, go a couple short blocks and park at the intersection with Camden (which you also pass on Almaden). There's a trail right there between the stream and IBM parking lot that will take you over to Santa Teresa. After a couple miles, you'll have to cross some entrance logs and go a few hundred feet down a road to get to the ST entrance. Entering from there, Stile Ranch is in front of you, but I usually go to the right up Fortini trail since it's a more gentle, but fun technical singletrack. I come down Stile Ranch on the way back by going up from Mine fire road.

At Santa Teresa, the best trails are Rocky Ridge and Stile Ranch. I come down Rocky Ridge by taking the fire road up to Coyote peak first. (Edit: This is the same route as jorgemonkey and Fast Eddy, but starting from the other side of the figure 8 loop.)

I don't have time for Rock Ridge in the morning, just Stile Ranch, as I try to do the entire loop from my house in less than 45 minutes before work. (I'm generally a slower rider but getting faster now.)

I'm probably going tomorrow morning around 8:15 AM or so, if you want to join. PM me and I'll coordinate. On Wednesday I'm going into work early to get back early for the 6:30 PM ride up Kennedy fire Rd in south SJ. Come join that ride if you want your butt kicked by a bad-ass mountain. (see this thread)

jorgemonkey, how long does it take you to do that long loop?
    Last edited by BigLarry; 04-24-2006 at 10:48 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    My favorite route is go up the singletrack on the left side of Bernal Rd, up Coyote Peak, down Rocky Ridge, then take Mine to Stiles (Towards the upper parking lot) and down the switchbacks.
    Exactly my favorite. For extra credit, do it on a singlespeed.

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Exactly my favorite. For extra credit, do it on a singlespeed.
    Oh, thats the plan Do that route and more....
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

utilitarian biker
    BL, I'm a little sick of Kennedy. I ride there every week. I will however, hit you up on ST one of these weekdays. Although, do you think you can swing a 6 or 630 start time? I'm actually off of work most of the days but I want to try to squeeze my ride in and get home before my family wakes up (around 0900). I'm going to Fremont Older tomorrow. But I'll PM you with days that I'm thinking about going down to ST.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    My favorite route is go up the singletrack on the left side of Bernal Rd, up Coyote Peak, down Rocky Ridge, then take Mine to Stiles (Towards the upper parking lot) and down the switchbacks. Then for the sake of extra climbing/riding, I'll take the Bernal/Vista Loop, and then either go down Joyce Ranch or down Mine. I'm gonna start riding my SS there alot now so I can get in shape for May by the Bay
    what days do you plan to ride? I am currently 'borrowing" the brakes from my SS for a geared bike, but after 24HOA, they are going right back to the SS.

going up coyote peak on a SS sounds fun!

Members who have read this thread: 1