Santa Teresa County Park Monkey Butt ride - Saturday 10:00am- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Santa Teresa County Park Monkey Butt ride - Saturday 10:00am

Bring your rigids and 'cross bikes (other types welcome, too - but you will not be a Monkey Butt). Social pace, newb friendly, no-drop ride with a designated sweeper (depending on the group) to make sure nobody gets left behind.

Doing the CX clinic the next morning, so I'm personally going keep it at recovery ride pace.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Dammit!!! How am I supposed to get out of going to ice skating lessons with my sons??? Seriously, dude, feed me an excuse line and I will surely unload it onto my unsuspecting wife.

OK, so where is the starting point? I usually take the “Guadalupe” MUT from Branham/85/Almaden and ride the 6.5 miles to Harry Road.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Harry and Camden as always!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    Harry and Camden as always!
    OK, I guess, look for the guy with the fattest tires, and that will be me… GUARANTEED!!! Zero suspension, of course. Just emailed my wife about this ride.............................................. ..................................... yeah, emailed a lady I have lived with since 2002… lots of little hipster kiddies believe this is an “OK” course of action, let’s see if it works for us old-school folks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    OK, I guess, look for the guy with the fattest tires, and that will be me… GUARANTEED!!! Zero suspension, of course. Just emailed my wife about this ride.............................................. ..................................... yeah, emailed a lady I have lived with since 2002… lots of little hipster kiddies believe this is an “OK” course of action, let’s see if it works for us old-school folks.
    I only talk to my wife through the internet. NO EYE CONTACT!

Seriously, looking forward to that fat Surly rolling the sacred grounds, um... rocks, I mean. 15psi? Love that bike of your's.

Wēk SŰs
    aww damn. i would love to go, but have to travel. do post again if this moves to a different weekend.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Iím in. So, that makes what, nowótwo of us who will be there???

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Well, see you out there in less than two hours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    YUP! We should have a nice little group going.

Slowest Rider
    YUP! We should have a nice little group going.
    Just don't run into me.

On an Elephant Butt ride up the fire road to Rocky Ridge about then. Plenty of room to pass.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    Just don't run into me.

On an Elephant Butt ride up the fire road to Rocky Ridge about then. Plenty of room to pass.
    Believe me. Most of the group will not be able to pass. Porky, myself and my buddy Mike, but the rest of the crew are true newbies.

Slowest Rider
    Believe me. Most of the group will not be able to pass. Porky, myself and my buddy Mike, but the rest of the crew are true newbies.
    You're taking newbies down Rocky Ridge? Stiles Ranch?

I gather they're not friends, or soon won't?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No... just the easy stuff over there.

The last ride we did I ask if they were up for the challenge and we climbed Stiles

No fussing, some walking, all smiles.

Slowest Rider
    No... just the easy stuff over there.

The last ride we did I ask if they were up for the challenge and we climbed Stiles

No fussing, some walking, all smiles.
    In that case, I'll meet you at the Harry/Camden gate.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    That was a pretty fun-ass ride. I couldnít wait for you guys at the bottom of Rocky Ridge, so I jetted homeóit was almost 12:30PM and I had to be home for other obligations. That Rocky Ridge was hecka fun with these 24"x3" fatties on the 2.5" wide Large Marge rims. I didnít seem to have any problems clearing it going downhill in a hurry. I hope we can all do it again soon!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice! Ericson got a flat and the worst - I'm sitting here at Kaiser with him because he took a big spill on the foot path back to Harry Rd. It appears he fractured the collarbone.

Aside from all that, it was a great ride with great people. I'll post up pics soon (2 hour wait at Kaiser).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I want to add that BigLarry was an extraordinary help today. So nice meeting you and hope to ride with you again!!!

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    That was a pretty fun-ass ride. I couldn’t wait for you guys at the bottom of Rocky Ridge, so I jetted home—it was almost 12:30PM and I had to be home for other obligations. That Rocky Ridge was hecka fun with these 24"x3" fatties on the 2.5" wide Large Marge rims. I didn’t seem to have any problems clearing it going downhill in a hurry. I hope we can all do it again soon!
    I was impressed by the ability of a super fat tire at ~15 psi to climb so quickly. Like on this climb up the super steep Hidden Springs road.

And I was jealous of your "equipment". (It's a nerd envy thing.)

And good of you to point out that Dion's missing "equipment".

And above all you were one of the fastest riders up top of Coyote Peak. (OK Dion was being very social and sticking with the slow group.)

Note additional bike features in rear, including double LED rear light, rear fender, and internal hub. This is on top of the multiple battery packs to power his gear.

You can also see the big fat tires that allowed Leopold to scream down Rocky Ridge on a Hardtail. I sped down on my Full Suspension and caught one last glimpse of his fabluous bike before he went off into the (noon) sun.

OK, I'm impressed.

Slowest Rider

Up to Coyote Peak

I got this great picture of everyone climbing up the Coyote Peak fire road with (a smoggy) San Jose in the background.

In order: Mike, Leopold, Dion, Ericson. I'd normally be at the rear but I snuck off while everyone was talking and pushed my bike up this hill.

Slowest Rider
    Nice! Ericson got a flat and the worst - I'm sitting here at Kaiser with him because he took a big spill on the foot path back to Harry Rd. It appears he fractured the collarbone.

Aside from all that, it was a great ride with great people. I'll post up pics soon (2 hour wait at Kaiser).
    I was having a lot of fun until Ericson's fall at the end of the ride. I like different rides and was amused at all the different bikes going down Rocky Ridge. Although, while regrouping at the bottom, we did get comments from some like "Did you really take those bikes down Rocky Ridge?".

I was just behind him Ericson before his fall, but missed seeing him fall because I was trying to avoid all those cracks in the "road", which must have got him on the cross bike. And this was after making it down Rocky Ridge OK. Go figure. The fall was just after the gate off off Fortini Rd with all the dry mud cracks and ruts.

Ericson looked to be in a lot of pain. So I didn't think it was going to be a simple shake-off thing. The question was collarbone or A-C joint. Fortunately I lived just off the end of the trail and fetched my car to get him back to his truck at Dion's place. But more kudos go to Dion, who is helping Ericson to the ER with the long wait, and will be getting Ericson back home.

And I suspect I figured out the reason for his crash. Notice that Ericson (on the right) is not paying attention while Dion is giving pre-ride instructions via tattoo-animation and hand motions on how to avoid not falling and breaking a collar bone.
    There you go!

Slowest Rider

Thanks to Dion

I want to thank Dion for organizing the ride today. I had a fun time on this crazy social ride, well until the off-bike incident at the end.

Dion was very nice to everyone and great to hang out with. He was able to get a lot of friends to come on this ride too. We'll have to count and see how many friends Dion still has tomorrow. Hanging out for hours at an ER will certain earn bonus points with Ericson.

Mike and Leopold were very strong riders, leading the way. However, I suspect Dion was possibly one of the strongest and could have been a leader up and down the hill. But he hanged at the end to help everyone out - being a really nice guy.

Anyway, Dion deserves some nice pictures of his ride. This is what I have instead:

Up Hidden Springs

Up Coyote Peak

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I will have to join u guys on the next few rides before end of Summer. Last time I missed you guys by 10mins on my Felt 29er. =) btw, the IBIS is coming next. woohoo!

Have a good safe weekend.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    I was impressed by the ability of a super fat tire at ~15 psi to climb so quickly. Like on this climb up the super steep Hidden Springs road.

And I was jealous of your "equipment". (It's a nerd envy thing.)

And good of you to point out that Dion's missing "equipment".

And above all you were one of the fastest riders up top of Coyote Peak. (OK Dion was being very social and sticking with the slow group.)

Note additional bike features in rear, including double LED rear light, rear fender, and internal hub. This is on top of the multiple battery packs to power his gear.

You can also see the big fat tires that allowed Leopold to scream down Rocky Ridge on a Hardtail. I sped down on my Full Suspension and caught one last glimpse of his fabluous bike before he went off into the (noon) sun.

OK, I'm impressed.
    More importantly, worthy of mention, would be how much my bike weighs fully loaded as pictured—although I don’t have an EXACT weight, the estimate (including full water bottles, of course!) is well above 40 pounds… others who have picked the bike up claimed more along the lines of 50+ pounds, but then again I haven’t actually weighed it before. I am waiting to sell my road bike and another set of wheels so I can fund a PROPER fat tire bike (a Speedway Cycles “Fatback”), which fully built up should be between 28 - 34 pounds, and have 26"x3.8" tires and even LESS tire pressure.

Yeah, that was a great ride. I had no idea anyone was hurt though, that sucks. Mike had the pace for sure going up those hills though, I was starting to struggle a bit.

By the way, was I the only one who did a proper warmup ride to the trailhead? It is 6.68 miles from my house to the [email protected] starting point.

BigLarry, thanks for the being the one who took all the pictures. I am usually too much into my own thing to remember to bring a camera ever. Kinda scary to see my “wow, I’m going up a hill” face though.

So, when are we all going to do that ride (or a similar one) again???

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Words and pics at my blog!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Nice write-up, Dion! So, when are we going to all do that ride again? You should all quit your jobs and be an unemployed bum like me (well, actually I was laid off) so we can go riding all week!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'd go, but would probably not be able to keep up

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon
    I'd go, but would probably not be able to keep up
    You obviously have no clue how slow I ride. And the group went even slower.

I'd describe the ride as more a party that happened to move every so often. It was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 09-06-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Slowest Rider
    Words and pics at my blog!
    Nice Blog.

I am extremely non-photogenic, and hate pictures of myself. But you managed to capture some pictures of me I actually like OK, especially the first.

Just how bad is Ericson's collarbone? Minor fracture or major break? I didn't see a bone bulge under the skin, and I had Ericson run his hand along the collarbone and he didn't feel any fracture point himself. So it didn't seem as bad as other breaks I've seen on others when riding. But I didn't do a full inspection.

Will Ericson heal, or the pain stop, by his wedding day next month?

Other than the accident, this was a fun trip. I look forward to the next one.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Bump..

Members who have read this thread: 0