Santa Cruz trail help- Mtbr.com
    bike geek

Santa Cruz trail help

Due to a last-minute camping invitation from a friend, I'm going to find myself at Henry Cowell SP Saturday/Sunday with my family this weekend. I just can't see myself driving all the way down to SC and not riding...

Need some help though finding a nice <2hr ride. Anyone got any tips? Something I don't have to drive too far for would be great.

I'd post up a ride notice, but I'm not sure yet when I'll be riding.

TIA,
    Brian
    Last edited by tamjam; 06-02-2006 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    nmnmnmnmnmnmnmn
    Last edited by Blue Shorts; 06-02-2006 at 11:07 AM.

bike geek
    Last edited by tamjam; 06-02-2006 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    There.... a perfect 100% edited
    Last edited by Blue Shorts; 06-03-2006 at 08:03 AM.

Silence! I kill you!

I swear

almost every post on this thread has been edited. I'd head out to Wilder or somewhere to ride. I was with a bunch of boy scouts out in Cowell a month or two ago, and those trails are nice to hike, biking wise it wasn't really worth it to ride there.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Edited?.... I didn't notice any edits
    Last edited by Blue Shorts; 06-02-2006 at 03:07 PM. Reason: To annoy JorgeMonkey

just another bleepin SSer
    Damn - wish I saw this stuff before the edits...

Hit UC, if you either know it or can find a guide. You should be able to ride there from Henry Cowell (basically down 9 a bit). I think if you take Rincon road in Henry Cowell to where it meets Highway 9, it drops you out pretty close to where you want to be. And very likely around there you will find other riders at most times of the day, so ask for recommendation/guidance.

From here, cross over Highway 9 and take the U-conn trail up to the ridge. See http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...2_4519crx.aspx for details.

Then find a good drop to the right off of the ridge, which will take you back to 9. There are many, and they vary in technicality (and, unfortunately, legality). No signs, but if you always go down you will get to Highway 9.

Depending on your speed, 1 loop has to be at least an hour, so you may not have time for 2 (but if you do, head back to U-conn for another climb).

(This post has been edited. Too bad you will never know what was in the original post... )
    Last edited by singlespeed.org; 06-02-2006 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Because I can! And everyone else edited their posts!
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Be aware that if you take Rincon through Henry Cowell you'll have to cross the river before getting to hwy 9. It may be kind of high so be prepared with aqua shoes or something to carry your bike across. Alternately you can ride the tracks.

This site has a couple great maps of the area.. specifically the Wilder Ranch and Henry Cowell ones. http://www.virtualparks.org/maps/maps-official.html

Have fun! I'd offer to guide but I've got nasty PO right now and besides that I'm a weakling.

I'm bummed I missed the edits too. I always miss out on the fun.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You can ride from Henry Cowell to UCSC via the UConn trail - just ride across the bridge trestle at Cowell, follow the rail tracks to the UConn parking lot, on your right, about 3.5 miles down..

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    You can ride from Henry Cowell to UCSC via the UConn trail - just ride across the bridge trestle at Cowell, follow the rail tracks to the UConn parking lot, on your right, about 3.5 miles down..
    Good info guys, thanks! I am trying to hook up with smv Sunday morning at UConn trail on 9, but I've got some family stuff which may conflict, we'll see.

Sorry about the edits...they were all the interest of the greater good though, once Blue Shorts chimed in!!

Members who have read this thread: 0