Santa Cruz shop recommendations- Mtbr.com
    The Uber Carnivore

Santa Cruz shop recommendations

I was in ABS Sunday and it seemed pretty good.

Any others that are recommended?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Punk
    I was in ABS Sunday and it seemed pretty good.

Any others that are recommended?
    ABS is the best bike shop that I have found in the area.....at least for MTB. Everyone there rides. Many ride aggressively.

They have a killer lineup...Turner, Norco, Specialized and Santa Cruz (there may be others). Their prices are good and they honor local bike club discounts.

There are other good shops in the Santa Cruz area, but ABS is the best in my book.

Seaside stand up!
    Family Cycling Center and Spokesman both have good/great reps. Both have websites, check them out for product line and directions. Both are bigger than ABS I think, not that it matters much, just more sh!t on the floor to look at.
    antonio

I am lost, I'm no guide

Pesonally...

Quote Originally Posted by djkellycx
    Family Cycling Center and Spokesman both have good/great reps. Both have websites, check them out for product line and directions. Both are bigger than ABS I think, not that it matters much, just more sh!t on the floor to look at.
    I am not a big fan of ABS (Absolute Bull ****). Their customer service has never impressed me.

I'd rather spend my $$ at Family Cycling Center or The Bicycle Trip. Both are good stores w/ good selection, great service, and the same prices as FCS.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    I am not a big fan of ABS (Absolute Bull ****). Their customer service has never impressed me.
    Hmm. The guys at ABS have been great to me. It's pretty much the only shop I go to now. Maybe it's just because I've gotten to know the people there pretty well by now, I dunno. It probably helps that the type of riding I'm into is the same stuff that most of the guys who work there are into, and also what they seem to specialize in. YMMV.

I am lost, I'm no guide

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by jimw
    Hmm. The guys at ABS have been great to me. It's pretty much the only shop I go to now. Maybe it's just because I've gotten to know the people there pretty well by now, I dunno. It probably helps that the type of riding I'm into is the same stuff that most of the guys who work there are into, and also what they seem to specialize in. YMMV.
    It's been atleast 5 years since I stepped foot in the store. My first impression went a long way w/ me.. There are so many good shops in SCruz. Maybe I'll pop in there and see what's new.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Feb 2004

It depends...

If youre talking about service, Ive had great luck at Family, the Trip, and the little gem called Cycle Werks on 41st. I often go there instead of Family, just because the guys dont seem like theyre being pulled 14 different ways.

Also, I want to plug the tiny shack called Bills Bicycle Repair on Soquel near the Drive-in. The nicest guy you'll ever meet, a great mechanic, and real homegrown, no BS-attitude service.

err, 27.5+
    Family Cycling on 41st - Great selection and some very helpful people

ABS on Mission - Good selection, small shop crammed full to the gills with the latest technology, but the people aren't always too helpful ( I have been snubbed and had to track down help with questions in the past)

Scotts Valley Cyclesport - Good little shop if you are in the area, trek/specialized/santa cruz dealer, very helpful and friendly staff

SS Clyde 29er

okay okay, here is the scoop, gather round n learn...

Another Bike Shop- ok w me so far, its across town tho soo i dont go ther too often
    Bike Church- home of People Power SC, great spot to score used parts, stay the hell outta the FREE BIN: thats where i score my extra shite, dont wear deoderant if u go! (hehehe)
    Spokesman- NICE TOYS, way cool mechanics, good selection, check the used bikes on the celing, service..depends on who is holdin the floor down
    Scotts Valley Cyclesport- nice MTB shop but, why the hell venture into Scotts Valley, ick!
    Sprockets- nice family cycling type store
    Amsterdam Bicycles- great for used n unsual cross n track stuff, nice dude holdin it down
    Aptos Bike Trail- new owners, very nice n knowledgable, MY LBS (Nisene in da house!)
    Bicycle Trip- nice selection, nice staff, mechanics: one jerk the rest are nice and they ride on mondays n wednesdays
    Bill's Bike Repair- yeaa, way nice dude, no bikes for sale, just great service prices!
    Cycle Works- great service, nice folks, try em before u go to Family Cycling Center
    Family Cycling Center-BIG, great selection, EXPENSIVE, service..ok, umm..EXPENSIVE
    Dave's- Anthony can hook u up w a deal on a used n now newer bikes
    Recycled bikes- garage operation, nice guy, good for parts safari

that place by Cole's BBQ in Aptos village-ahh..when he is open, knowledgable but has a stars n bars trash can, i stay outta there!