Santa Cruz Report- Mtbr.com
    Fartographer

Santa Cruz Report

I did a solo ss ride in Santa Cruz yesterday and thought some of you would appreciate a report on the trail conditions. Overall they were very good - at least the trails I rode. I parked at Golf Club and rode around past Costco and up through campus. I wanted the long climb and I didn't want to climb up a slimy Pogonip. The first, dirt, at the campus gate, was dry and excellent. When I got to the gulley the dirt was also dry and solid. There are new trees down and some new log crossings and one mud pit I couldn't get through up near the dorms.

The lower fire roads on UCSC are in good shape although pretty wet. After the water tanks it gets pretty chewed up. There are huge ruts but it's pretty dry and not too bad.

At Pogonip I rode back up and then down the other Pogonip. I wanted to see that view of Santa Cruz on such a beautiful day. Lower Pogonip was wet at first and the singletrack had a tree down across the trail. But most of it is fine.

Final judgement - it's on! It better not rain today, though...
    Last edited by fc; 04-21-2006 at 09:42 AM.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

err, 27.5+
    Yep, if we can just keep the weather dry for a few more days most of the southbay trails will be in riding condition. So the Pogonip Yukon trail was in decent climbing shape? Good news. I have been avoiding that trail system just because of the sections that stay sloppy for so long after a good rain fall. I hear you on the road drop. Even the far right safety line looked a bit more washed away than in the past. I walked it for the first time in 2 years just to play it safe last time I came down that way.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Sorry I had to edit your post. Bad things happen when we talk about illegal trails here.

I was going to spend the afternoon there today ... just to walk and reflect. Now, I don't know. Maybe another week. Hmmmm, what to do.

francois

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Sorry I had to edit your post. Bad things happen when we talk about illegal trails here.
    They do??!

Go do it. The trails are good. Do the long ride so you get more pedaling in. It was totally worth it.

Fartographer

Pogonip

Quote Originally Posted by dscot420
    the Pogonip Yukon trail was in decent climbing shape?
    I don't know. I didn't climb the whole thing. I only rode up from Highway 9 to the top of the fireroad and then out. I expect the rest of it still has some really slick, gooey sections.

Groveland Trail Heads

Probably

be riding all around there on Sunday but after reading Photo- John's report I may do some miles in Wilder depending on if it is open. Nativeson was also up there yesterday on his new 4X... he had to park at my house just to tease me with his new toy when he was done riding there. Schweeeeeeet bike BTW
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

Whoaohohohoh
    I am surprised I didn't see you, I was all over pogonip and upper ucsc campus yesterday.

I agree, the trails are in good condition, some spots are still pretty muddy and one trail I rode down had a creek running down it the whole way, pretty cool to ride along a moving creek.

BLS439
    Well I wish I could have ridden UC/Pogo/Wilder today, but I just didn't have the time to ride cross town to get there.

So.....I scoped out Delav instead. There are only a handful of small mud patches, everything is rideable! But, there are a couple of small erosion spots that are new-ish from the recent rains. Just be careful going around a couple of the blinds turns...the singletrack narrows from 2' wide to a rut in the side of the hill!

Still it was a great day to ride!

Now for the drive over the hill to exchange a camera lens!

-Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I might hit up DeLa this weekend. I'm too out of shape to handle the Pogonip climb.

How is the quarry hip jump? That's the only jump I've managed to hit on my sweet new slalom bike. A 13yr old had to show me how to do it, the HS age kids were too cool to talk to an "old" guy like me.

BLS439
    The quarry play ground is out there. It looked mighty lonely today though on the ride. I passed one runner with his dog and some dude on a sweet downhill rig with his dog. It was nice, peaceful, and serene!

The fiance has the itch to use her new Heckler! YAY! So I think tomorrow will be the pogo/UC/Wilder day! I can't wait! 2 days of ridingin a row....it's a new record for me post Feb '06 and pre May '06!

I made plans to ride with a friend on Sun.....I can only hope to actually get in three ride days in a row!

I may have to finish it off with great Sushi on the W/S or the Brewery on the E/S????? What a dilemma!

--Dave

fc

... and if we just ...

Just got back after 2 hours with Rensho at UC. Incredible!! Choice! Gnarly. And oh yah, bichin.

francois

Totally, and to the max.
    You forgot Epic, man!

I think I'm taking a few buds there tomorrow. They've come out of bike hibernation and want some tasty singletrack. Yeeeeehhaaaaaaw! We'll do our part to get ride of the mud. I'll bring 10 lbs. of it home on my bike.

BLS439
    Francis,

did you make it in to Wilder or spend all two hours in UC? If you made it to wilder....how was the singletrack? Looking into Euc loop and Old Cabin, etc.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by BLS439
    Francis,

did you make it in to Wilder or spend all two hours in UC? If you made it to wilder....how was the singletrack? Looking into Euc loop and Old Cabin, etc.
    I didn't make it to Wilder. Last time I went (sea otter weekend) the fire roads from old cabin to Empire were pretty sketchy. Lots of water crossing the road and parts with quicksand! The sand was pretty jello-y and one of the guys sank his wheel to hub!

francois

singletrack bound

did the single up to rosalita(ouch!!)

From the house, out and back...30 mi. 3000' ele. fire road is in good shape. one large slide just past the loma mill site that you have to hike over. I don't thing it will be removed any time soon. up the wall.....then back down....a different way. all is in good shape. tacky, no mud on bike or rider.....

singletrack bound
    next post puts me in the tripe digit arena! yes!

singletrack bound
    next post puts me in the triple digit arena! yes!

singletrack bound
    sorry.....too much coffee.....

BLS439

Happy Earth Day

UC rocked. Nice to see so many damn people on the trails! All the singletrack kicked ass! the fireroads were wet, but definitely in good shape.

Sounds like another ride tomorrow is in my expected forecast!

--Dave

I am lost, I'm no guide

anyone ride Wilder this weekend?

Looking for a trail report. Is it open? Rideable? Locals? Bueller???
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

BLS439
    I saw people coming and going from Grey Whale/Wilder to UC. They looked like they had a good time.

I am going to try and get out to UC after work tomorrow....maybe I can plink around Wilder too.

--Dave

mtbr member
    I rode upper portion of Wilder past Friday 21st, only the fireroad from twin gates down to Eucalyptus and it was very soft and rutted in many sections, but def rideable. Upper part of UCSC Chinqaupin Road (above the Tanks) is VERY soft, muddy, and just rideable in sections...as are all other trails in the springs area....stuff further down is velcro for the most part
    "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

I am lost, I'm no guide
    Quote Originally Posted by wXman
    I rode upper portion of Wilder past Friday 21st, only the fireroad from twin gates down to Eucalyptus and it was very soft and rutted in many sections, but def rideable. Upper part of UCSC Chinqaupin Road (above the Tanks) is VERY soft, muddy, and just rideable in sections...as are all other trails in the springs area....stuff further down is velcro for the most part
    Sounds like Wilder is the same. I rode there yesterday. Give it a month (at the least).
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The way the creeks are running and water is seeping out, I imagine there will be wet spots for weeks. I remember a few years ago after a really soggy March that Woodcutters was still muddy well into May, even as other spots had dried out.

It will also be interesting to see how tall the grass gets before it browns out and stops growing. The last two years it has reached handlebar height in spots at Wilder, the tallest I have seen it in my 15 years in this region.

Members who have read this thread: 0