San Jose Milpitas area trails- Mtbr.com
    College
    Jun 2004

San Jose Milpitas area trails

I am just starting MTB and i want to know about all the trails around the area. The only one that i know about is Alum Rock trail. Are there any local riding clubs in this area ? Are there any good trails in this area?

mtbr member
    try Grants Ranch up Mt Hamilton Rd. if you feel like a drive try Santa Teresa out near the end of 87 off of Cottle Rd.

the bomb

i don't know

Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer
    try Grants Ranch up Mt Hamilton Rd. if you feel like a drive try Santa Teresa out near the end of 87 off of Cottle Rd.
    I wouldn't really recommend santa theresa for a newbie. Rocky ridge is the only fun part (IMO) and it's pretty damn technical for someone just starting out. That only leaves fire roads, and I have to say santa theresa has some of the worst "death march fire roads from hell" that I've seen.

I live in San Jose, right near alum rock, but the mtb trails there kinda blow. I usually ride in santa cruz (demo, wilder, ucsc etc.).
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

College
    Jun 2004

Wow you must live by me

I live fairly close to alum rock park. My friend lives right next to it though, and i usually go with him. Are there any other places that are a little closer than santa cruz. How old are you by the way ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The closest place to you that you will enjoy most likely will be Saratoga Gap at the top of hwy 9, Fremont Older from the Prospect rd side, and Stevens Creek Canyon. There's also Mission Peak in fremont but its a true death march from the front side, not as bad on the back side.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    I am just starting MTB and i want to know about all the trails around the area. The only one that i know about is Alum Rock trail. Are there any local riding clubs in this area ? Are there any good trails in this area?

RJG
    mtbr member

Mid peninsula openspace

I agree with the rest of the the posts. I live in down town San Jose and ride at Fremont Older, Saratoga Gap, Stevens Canyon and the Demo Forest for the most part. All rides vary in difficulty. There are some rides around the Lexington reservoir too, around Los Gatos (Saint Josephs Hill and Kennedy/Limekiln). Check out www.openspace.org for a bunch of maps and riding areas all along the 280 corridor. I have ridden at Grant Ranch (near the observatory) twice in the winter. I found the rides in the "Northern California 100 best mountain bike rides" book and both rides were strenuous (hotel road and Antler Peek). The book sucks with bad directions and outdated info and deplorable maps but it will steer you in the general direction of some decent rides. I would imagine Grant Ranch is about 1000 degrees in the summer but close to Alum Rock. I'll be in and out of town for the next few weeks but if you want to meet on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday evening I'd be happy to show you some rides.
    RJ

College
    Jun 2004
    Hey thanks man, but i just sprained my wrist. Its just a minor one, but i dont want to mess it up more. If you come to town next time, ill go with you and some of my friends, and you can show us around. We are all teenage newbies, so i dont know if you can tolerate us. If you can that would be nice of you, but later on in the summer.

email is [email protected]

Jul 2004
    I have been riding in the San Jose area for quite a while, and have narrowed it down to 2 places I enjoy riding. Saratoga Gap, and UCSC in Santa Cruz. I have ridden Wilder and Soquel, but never enjoyed them on my hardtail. Too bumpy, rutty, and bone jarring. I have not been back since getting a full suspension bike though. Santa Teresa is no fun for about 80% of the ride (read as steep f'n fire roads), Fremont Older is not bad, but again it's steep fire roads about 80% of the time.

Saratoga Gap actually connects with other preserves along the ridge, If done right, you can get in about a 30 mile ride with everything from kick butt downhill, to technical single track, to creek crossing and some road riding through Stevens Creek Canyon Rd.

UCSC is just fun and beautiful. Well shaded so it's not too hot in summers. Many miles of killer single track.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Alum Rock is good

I ride Alum Rock twice a week. Though it's not known for being a primo mtn bike area, it's actually a great place to train.

Start at the entrance parking lot, and go to the last picnic area and up the north rim trail. Then take the Todd Quick single track to the gate. Just this loop is a descent workout and fun. Once you get your legs, go throught the gate at the top of the single track and challenge yourself to the 1.5 mile Bacardo trail climb to the peak. When you are able to clean this climb in one shot, you'll find you can do almost any other ride in the area without a huge effort.

Medium?

You live kinda by me too.

If you're not too old, you wanna "hook up"?

Medium?

If you like to climb

You can do a hard loop at Mission Peak. I don't ride there anymore, but I did in the past. I seem to remember climbing up from behind the tennis courts at Mission College. There's probably a bus you can catch to get up there. There's another entrance on the south side, somewhere in Milpitas, but I've never ridden there.

Or, if you don't mind a roadie climb, ride up towards Mt. Hamilton, and into Grant Ranch. It's mostly fire roads, but there are some good downhills. I always liked that road climb for some reason.

the bomb

tee hee

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    If you're not too old, you wanna "hook up"?
    I'm REALLY old!
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Old Guy that rides

how old?

Quote Originally Posted by pfunk
    I'm REALLY old!
    Just don't challenge her to Sumo Bike......
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away

...."I don't want to be the fastest.....just faster than my friends."

Originally Posted by zenorb
    I so wish I could un-read that.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Oooollllldd Thread, but Tagged, cuz i'm gettin' into the sport, and need some dirt trails around my area!

Trail Blazer
    It's been all listed here pretty much....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    thanks, i'm glad i found this thread. in the meantime, i'll just be riding the berryessa creek trail in Milpitas ahaha...been here 20 years, didn't realize they had some dirt roads/trails