San Fran Feb/March – MTB/Cross- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

San Fran Feb/March – MTB/Cross

I live in Vancouver, BC and mostly ride North Shore/Squamish. I prefer everything MTB but I spend a significant amount of time on a road bike as well…because kids. I’m going to be living in San Francisco (Mission) for a couple months starting in February and I’m trying to decide what to do for the biking life during my visit. From the reading I’ve done, I’m actually considering leaving the MTB at home (maybe just rent a couple times when jones-ing), in favor of a Cyclocross rig, which I currently do not own :-) I like the idea of being able to ride from the front door, accessing the nearby dirt in Marin. Though, admittedly, I don’t really have a grasp on the riding restrictions imposed in this area. Would love to hear some local perspectives.

AKD
    Getting hillier every day
    The Headlands are for cardio, but riding a cross bike can make it more challenging (and therefore more fun). Bring climbing gears for our consistent 10%+ grade fire roads. And night lights - it's legal to ride the Headlands after dark.

I've never ridden bikes in your part of the woods, but from what I hear you'll be disappointed in what we've got to offer. Tahoe would normally be enough reason to bring the MTB, but it'll be snowed in for the duration of your time here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    You can ride trails from your front door in San Francisco w/bit of road warmup. But you can also ride pretty much all of these trails on a road bike if you are skilled and your road bike has reasonable tires and geometry.

From the mission (let's say 16th st BART):
    Mt Sutro, McLaren park, the Presidio are each about 25 minutes (all slightly different directoin). Golden Gate Park is closer. Many of those have, uh, minimal bike legal trails, but they all have some; it's common to ride on the dirt for 1/4 mile in the Presidio on the way to the GG bridge, where it's another 15 minutes to the dirt in the headlands.

Lots of all day adventure options--north through the headlands or flats into Marin, then ride for many miles further; south to Pacifica (though that's at least an hour road ride, google says 1.5; you can cut out a little bit on BART, and/or Caltrain) and much further south. Both hold up well in the winter; the south routes are not as well known and much harder to connect, at least until/if the SF Watershed land opens up (not next year!).

AKD
    Getting hillier every day
    Just ran across this trying to add some more dirt miles for my evening city rides. San Francisco Mountain Biking - The Vision

mtbr member
    pacifica trails might be a little smidge of what the north shore is

mtbr member
    Hit me up when it gets close to your arrival - I live in Bernal Heights right next to Mission and I can point you in the right direction & hopefully show you what goods we have - although personally I will ride the steepest trails I can find and huck drops and doubles, but I have still not worked up the courage to ride a road bike.

The only problem you have coming from BC is that now everything here is going to be dull for you - it's like you eat at fancy restaurants every night and now you will be force-fed frozen dinners. Oh well, at least you will be able to see what good Mexican food and beer tastes like!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks a bunch for the responses. Feb/March is no picnic in Vancouver. Swapping the wet/cold for comparatively balmy weather and ocean views is a nice tradeoff :-) I’m really just stoked to be able to explore a new area on bike and gain some nice winter fitness in the process.

I’ll give Pacifica a further look. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Hit me up when it gets close to your arrival - I live in Bernal Heights right next to Mission and I can point you in the right direction & hopefully show you what goods we have - although personally I will ride the steepest trails I can find and huck drops and doubles, but I have still not worked up the courage to ride a road bike.
    Sick. Will definitely look you up.

Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Oh well, at least you will be able to see what good Mexican food and beer tastes like!
    You ain't lyin.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by henrychinaski View Post
    Sick. Will definitely look you up.

You ain't lyin.

Beware of women named Jan unless you like crabs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Beware of women named Jan unless you like crabs.
    Sounds like there is a story there but I'm not sure I want to hear it

And who doesn't like crabs!

-crab_black_pepper.jpg

mtbr member
    Charles Bukowski reference.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    As a vegetarian, I don't hate crabs. I just feel better when they're not around.

(another BK reference)
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Professional Troll
    I'm in Glen Park (adjacent to mission basically). There's plenty of MTB to ride around here, send me a message and I can show you around. Plenty of CX/XC/AM type stuff literally in the city, and pletny of "expert" level DH type trails just outside.