S Lake Tahoe Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

S Lake Tahoe Advice

I'm going to be in S Lake with fam here soon. I have two boys, 9 and 12. We will be staying right off Pioneer, closer to Meyers than S Lake proper. Looking for some recommended loops we could potentially do from the cabin. I've done some homework, looking at Corral but am not super clear on the best approach.

My oldest can grind out some vert/miles. He can handle a solid loop out at Soquel Demo - 15 miles, 2K+ vert. My 9 year old also is able to get a loop done in Demo with my help towing him a bit here and there...mostly climbing out of course. It's good training!

Anyway, I think doing something in the 10-12 mile range and max 1500ft of climbing will be doable for us with me helping the youngest.

Any suggestions for the best combos/loops in that zone? Both boys can confidently ride blue terrain. Toads level tech would be too much, and I know too big of a ride as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Not a local--but I've stayed off of Pioneer a number of times. From your cabin you can probably find some neighborhood s/t over to Fountain Place. Then it's a mostly uphill, sometimes stout, climb for about two miles to the Corral trailhead. Upper Corral has some chunk, so Sidewinder would be a better choice, then you could either drop Lower Corral (tables/berms) or Cedar (flowy with whoops).

You could also climb Cedar, then drop Lower Corral for a shorter loop. I would check stats on Trailforks or Strava and look at some YouTube vids to make sure it meets your requirements. Also, Bijou Bike Park has something for everybody. Have fun!
    Last edited by Callender; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:45 AM.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Ride to Tahoe Mountain via the bike paths. Climb as much as your kids are good with and rip down. Lots of good cruising single track in the pioneer and Meyers area. Gun Tower trail from the base of Echo Summit to Tahoe mountain is a good 'kid' shuttle or an out an back. You can also find a lot of single track to explore on the Pioneer side of the airport if you just ride around, a ton of fun for kids.

For food hit up Divide Sky in Meyers as they support lots of events or Verde at the Y, they have the BEST veggie burrito.

mtbr member
    If they can handle a loop at demo a loop at corral will be a piece of cake - although maybe a bit more technical.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    The Tahoe Mountain area would work nicely. There's a few options you can put together there that meet your distance and vert requirements. At the top of Tahoe Mountain there's some fantastic views of the area, too. Climbs and descents are not very technical at all. Then when you're done you can head over to a quiet area of Fallen Leaf Lake to eat some food and relax (and swim if it's warm enough, which it probably won't be).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    +1 to Tahoe Mtn and Fallen Leaf lake

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    out and back on cold creek

ride to bijou bike park and back

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    out and back on cold creek

ride to bijou bike park and back
    Cold Creek would be way too technical for his 9 & 12 yo boys

I would go with what Calllendar said

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Everyone -

Thanks for all the great advice. Three day plan is shaping up nicely -

1) Corral loop day
    2) Bijou Park day
    3) Tahoe Mtn day

Here's to hoping my legs can manage a couple days of tow support for the 9 year old!

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Good move on Bijou for day 2. That place is cool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    And if you want to hit some trails on your way home from Bijou, you can go across the street through the college, take the trails south, then off of Martin Ave. there is a little network of super mellow trails to the west of Trout Creek (check out Google Maps).
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

member you member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Super mellow trails to the west of Trout Creek (check out Google Maps).
    Hartoonian Trails. I always tell people to ride Bijou Meadow to the bike park, to Majorie Anne Johnson Springmeyer Conservancy trails, aka the "Trail across from the bike park" that goes behind the College, to Hartoonian in Sierra Tract, then behind the airport and wrap around to Mill Pond, and either Tahoe Mountain or just the Tahoe Bikeway back to SLT. It's virtually flat, hardly any climbing, tons of views. Town trails at their finest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for clarifying! It's so cool how you can go almost anywhere in town on dirt or a bike path.

member you member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Thanks for clarifying! It's so cool how you can go almost anywhere in town on dirt or a bike path.
    My pleasure! There really is very little reason to ride the main streets in South Lake. I know people like to preach Cold Creek, Powerline and Corral, etc. which are fun, too. But for a family just looking to get out and pedal together, scenic vistas of Freel Peak, Upper Truckee river, and even Fallen Leaf Lake with Tahoe's West Shore in the distance, make for great back drops in any photo, especially around the sunset hours.

This was taken from the top of Angora Ridge at the start of the new Lilly Lake trail. If you are wondering if Lilly Lake Trail is open, it's not.

S Lake Tahoe Advice-0.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Everyone,

Just wanted to follow up with a big thank you for all the advice. The suggestions offered were perfect.

Day 1 - The full family pedaled up to Corral. We did the Sidewinder/Lower Corral combo and this was perfect for my boys. They loved it. We went back to our cabin, ate lunch and the Mrs stepped up big. She offered to shuttle us so we busted out two more laps of the same. Lots of smiles and air time.

Day 2 - We did a family hike up near Echo in the morning then hit Bijou in the afternoon. Bijou really was a lot of fun. Unfortunately I missed checking here to see some of the advice on mellow trails in that surrounding area. Will add those to the next trip for sure.

Day 3 - Tahoe Mtn. We just did the Tahoe Mtn trail point to point and descended down towards the lake. Amazing views on this one and really enjoyable singletrack at the perfect level for my family. We finished by taking the little side singletrack across to the high school and then followed the bike path back around to get to where we parked.

I had to help tow my 9 year old on both the Corral and Tahoe Mtn days but we got it done. Just mentioning it if future parents stumble onto this thread and want to wrap their heads around the effort. The tow always leads to great conversations with other riders...and occasionally heartbreak when we catch someone on a climb.

Anyway, thank you again to everyone here. You helped make our first family get away a fantastic one.

SH