fc
    head minion Administrator

Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras

So I just came back from Downieville and it is in the best shape I've ever seen it in my 15+ years of going there.

The many of inches of rain they got did its magic on all that new trail and trail work.

Get up there now. Colors are turning, temps are changing. And the biking season can shut down at any week. There are many, many years that it doesn't rain in the fall and the trails get snowed in so take advantage of this gift.

It's starting to get a lil cold for camping so bundle up at night. No reservations required and starting Oct. 15, no more camping fees.

The Riverside Inn is incredible for around $120 a night. The Mexican place is baller. And the best pizza in town still sucks.

Anyway, just get up there, armor up, be safe and have the time of your life.

Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-desktop66-001.jpg
    IPA will save America

Snowjnky McDreamy
    suuuuwweeeeet
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    To piggyback on this....do not forget to bring extra tubes. All this amazing traction seemed to equal higher speeds. Higher speeds seemed to equal more flats. While I was waiting for shuttles Saturday I was blown away how many ppl were getting flat repairs /inner tubes at Yuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -What trail is that on the bottom-right of your pic FC???

To anyone reading this, i'd say the same goes for Ashland, OR. I was just there for 4 days around the final C.E.S. race and the dirt is off the hook good!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    -What trail is that on the bottom-right of your pic FC???
    Mills Peak - pedally XC trail with a lots of little rocks and a few natural features sprinkled in

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmxsteve View Post
    To piggyback on this....do not forget to bring extra tubes. All this amazing traction seemed to equal higher speeds. Higher speeds seemed to equal more flats. While I was waiting for shuttles Saturday I was blown away how many ppl were getting flat repairs /inner tubes at Yuba.

So how were your runs?

We had shuttles reserved but I never took em. I just drove the guys around in my truck.
    IPA will save America

Not helpful.
    Beautiflu.

Name:  Beautiflu.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  34.1 KB
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    So how were your runs?

We had shuttles reserved but I never took em. I just drove the guys around in my truck.
    I rode solo all day so I was riding a bit more conservative. My morning run was extra slow because everything was still very wet so any hard surface would potentially kick you tire to the side if you didnít hit it directly or avoid it completely. It also rained while I was making my first descent so vision was also compromised. Iím sure me being cold didnít help either. However my afternoon run was absolutely dialed! Everything was in absolute perfect condition and traction was at an all time high! I outright scared myself how fast I was going. I saw your ebike at Yuba before my first run but didnít see you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    took the 930 shuttle on sunday. man it was probably the best ride of my life.. i had a brand new rear tire on, 1st time really testing out my new brakes as well (guide REs) it all culminated in an awesome riding experience. Not once did my tire slide or become squirmy, my fork could use a little more dialing as it felt a bit harsh, but still didnt take away from the awesome, awesome ride.

Between strava and my fenix 5x, somewhere on the run i hit a top speed of 49.7 - 54.6 mph (yikes!)

Post ride beers and pizza just solidified a FUN day.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by f0nz0 View Post
    took the 930 shuttle on sunday. man it was probably the best ride of my life.. i had a brand new rear tire on, 1st time really testing out my new brakes as well (guide REs) it all culminated in an awesome riding experience. Not once did my tire slide or become squirmy, my fork could use a little more dialing as it felt a bit harsh, but still didnt take away from the awesome, awesome ride.

Between strava and my fenix 5x, somewhere on the run i hit a top speed of 49.7 - 54.6 mph (yikes!)

Post ride beers and pizza just solidified a FUN day.
    Now we're talking!!! One of my bikes had rear brake problems and it was hard in conditions that good.
    IPA will save America

fc
    I rode solo all day so I was riding a bit more conservative. My morning run was extra slow because everything was still very wet so any hard surface would potentially kick you tire to the side if you didnít hit it directly or avoid it completely. It also rained while I was making my first descent so vision was also compromised. Iím sure me being cold didnít help either. However my afternoon run was absolutely dialed! Everything was in absolute perfect condition and traction was at an all time high! I outright scared myself how fast I was going. I saw your ebike at Yuba before my first run but didnít see you.

So Saturday morning, it was wet and rainy. We started late, like 11am and then we did laps and laps of Sunrise. Soooo cool. By the time we got on the trail, it was pretty dry.
    IPA will save America

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I concur with the title! We had a crew of seven from the BA and Socal in South Lake Tahoe. Epically epic in every sense--hero dirt, crisp temps, fall foliage, great food, stories full of laughs and lies, etc., etc...

On Saturday we pedaled from our house in Myers up to Armstrong Pass, then dropped Connector and Corral. A few hours earlier a big TAMBA group had just finished dialing in lower Corral, including some new tables and a gap. Never better! On Sunday we rode Luther Pass to Scotts Lake to Dardanelles to Xmas Valley. The aspen were going off and the trails were perfect. Conditions should be good for at least a few more weeks. Do it.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    I concur with the title! We had a crew of seven from the BA and Socal in South Lake Tahoe. Epically epic in every sense--hero dirt, crisp temps, fall foliage, great food, stories full of laughs and lies, etc., etc...

I like the lies, lies part. Yeah our stories were getting better and better each day. They guys detailed all the times they got arrested in foreign countries and that was hard to top.
    IPA will save America

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Damn that all sounds rad!

Rollin 29s

It's starting to get a lil cold for camping so bundle up at night. No reservations required and starting Oct. 15, no more camping fees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desktop66-001.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	1219771
    Whatís the story on the free camping? Is that at a certain spot? I have a 24 foot travel trailer.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    Whatís the story on the free camping? Is that at a certain spot? I have a 24 foot travel trailer.
    So as far as I know, after October 15, all the campsites in the area shutdown and it is free range. They put garbage bags over the fee collection bins so that is the indicator.
    IPA will save America

Rollin 29s
    So I just came back from Downieville and it is in the best shape I've ever seen it in my 15+ years of going there.

The many of inches of rain they got did its magic on all that new trail and trail work.

Get up there now. Colors are turning, temps are changing. And the biking season can shut down at any week. There are many, many years that it doesn't rain in the fall and the trails get snowed in so take advantage of this gift.

The Riverside Inn is incredible for around $120 a night. The Mexican place is baller. And the best pizza in town still sucks.

Anyway, just get up there, armor up, be safe and have the time of your life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desktop66-001.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	1219771
    So as far as I know, after October 15, all the campsites in the area shutdown and it is free range. They put garbage bags over the fee collection bins so that is the indicator.
    Sweet! Iím trying to shake a head cold and get there this weekend, as itís my last chance before November. If the weather holds out, the free camping would be another bonus of a November trip. Do the shuttles stop running after a certain date, or based on weather?

Formerly dvo
    Based on weather.
    I'm the problem....

~~~
    Epic. Best conditions weíve ever experienced on Toads!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    Based on weather.
    And business. Still need 4 minimum. Campground I stayed at last night (not exactly sure, it was dark, somewhere near Rocky Rest) was out of fee envelopes - not sure if it is officially free or not, but it was last night. And trails were definitely riding good, though it seems like lower elevations are drying out fast - not that that should deter anyone. Also, massive 30ish degree temp difference (and strong winds) meant freezing at the tower and sweating pretty good at the end of the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-da79d6b0-962a-4947-b7bd-11235553abe5.jpg
    I stayed at Union Flat Campground last night, no pay envelopes = free. Stars were amazing after all the wind yesterday and the trails were primo today. I rode Packer Saddle to A-Tree, lavazolla, first divide to DVille. 28 miles. Rode my MeBike, no battery required
    FC I agree the Mexican place rocks- cod tacos were to die for -super fresh and all organic - stopped by the pizza place first though as they were serving Pliny (and usually have good beers on tap).
    Its going to be hard to go back to work tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-c494c8a9-50fd-4594-a450-e462ba22defc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm planning last weekend of October. Hope the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sierra eye candy and inspiration to get up there (hopefully these donít require a 90 degree neck stretch to see):

Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-9b7c7c04-6851-44c5-bcff-a5539b6ce8f4.jpg
    Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-d0452cbe-8c47-4501-9c4e-a9c0dbba87c8.jpg
    Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-d35ca5a4-f82b-4829-b548-5824a451b65e.jpg

mtbr member
    Agreed, conditions were all time this weekend! The top of Hough was killer. Did a gold valley rim to big boulder run, that was the best I've ever seen Big Boulder. Did two Elwell runs over the weekend, insanely tacky! Nice to be able to rally a little harder than normal on Elwell with no dust on the rocks and tacky dirt.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlobo View Post
    Agreed, conditions were all time this weekend! The top of Hough was killer. Did a gold valley rim to big boulder run, that was the best I've ever seen Big Boulder. Did two Elwell runs over the weekend, insanely tacky! Nice to be able to rally a little harder than normal on Elwell with no dust on the rocks and tacky dirt.
    You are a gaddem hammer!!!!!!

I've done Hough twice and I've seen it as having great potential. It NEEDs moisture, especially the lower half. Give it that and it is tech at top and sender in the middle.

Elwell, my oh my. Climber and the raddest descent there.

And Big Boulder.... man, I just go there for the view. But this time around, it affirms its place as the best descent from Packer. Just needed to tamp down the inches of dust.

Really amazing now. My first time this year too.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    When does snow usually start to interfere with riding in Downieville?

I have another month to go before I can go mountain biking again and I want something awesome to look forward to! Positive visualization FTW

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    When does snow usually start to interfere with riding in Downieville?

I have another month to go before I can go mountain biking again and I want something awesome to look forward to! Positive visualization FTW
    You injured?

Positive visualization... I like that.

November is the answer. Cold and snow and then no more shuttles. I wonder if there's a log/chart of when snow shut down Packer Saddle the last few years.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    You injured?

Positive visualization... I like that.

November is the answer. Cold and snow and then no more shuttles. I wonder if there's a log/chart of when snow shut down Packer Saddle the last few years.
    Yes, recovering. I had surgery a couple weeks ago for an umbilical hernia, and had to stop riding off-road a couple weeks before that because of pain. It's crazy that something so small can interfere so much.

I've never ventured south of Downieville because there is so much great and convenient riding in Chico, Redding and Downieville. If Downieville is shut down when I'm ready then this will be a really good reason for a bigger trip to try new trails

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Yes, recovering. I had surgery a couple weeks ago for an umbilical hernia, and had to stop riding off-road a couple weeks before that because of pain. It's crazy that something so small can interfere so much.

I've never ventured south of Downieville because there is so much great and convenient riding in Chico, Redding and Downieville. If Downieville is shut down when I'm ready then this will be a really good reason for a bigger trip to try new trails
    Downieville is an adventure. Such a massive build-up with four distinct areas now. Packer, Lakes Basin, Mills Peak and Mt. Hough. And finally, we have moisture.

Heal well.

Met some Chico dudes over the weekend. Group of 15 all over 50 years old. OGMB is their group.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Shameless plug for my Airbnb....pretty available the next few weeks.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/26042208?s=51

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Shameless plug for my Airbnb....pretty available the next few weeks.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/26042208?s=51
    For sure!!! Very good to know.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    You are a gaddem hammer!!!!!!

I've done Hough twice and I've seen it as having great potential. It NEEDs moisture, especially the lower half. Give it that and it is tech at top and sender in the middle.

Elwell, my oh my. Climber and the raddest descent there.

And Big Boulder.... man, I just go there for the view. But this time around, it affirms its place as the best descent from Packer. Just needed to tamp down the inches of dust.

Really amazing now. My first time this year too.
    Yeah the bottom half of hough is phenomenal when it gets enough moisture, usually once there is snow above rhineheart is when it is best. And agreed that Big Boulder is the best descent from Packer to DV.

Rollin 29s
    Just booked a 2:30 shuttle reservation for Saturday, and Iím stoked!

Any recommendations for campgrounds within 20 or so minutes of DVille? Will need a 24í travel trailer site.

Also, my sense the last time I was there was that itís pretty safe to leave bikes outside the restaurant or store. Is this a safe assumption? Otherwise Iíd take it back to the campground and lock it in the trailer. Iím feeling a little protective of my 3-day old Ripmo.

fc
    Just booked a 2:30 shuttle reservation for Saturday, and Iím stoked!

Any recommendations for campgrounds within 20 or so minutes of DVille? Will need a 24í travel trailer site.

Also, my sense the last time I was there was that itís pretty safe to leave bikes outside the restaurant or store. Is this a safe assumption? Otherwise Iíd take it back to the campground and lock it in the trailer. Iím feeling a little protective of my 3-day old Ripmo.
    Nice.

Union Flat campground is good. This time of year, the lower elevation campgrounds are warmer and thus more comfortable.

The town is very safe for bikes. If you are uncomfortable, flip it over, take the front wheel out and put a small lock on it.
    IPA will save America

Ride, Race, Live
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    I'm planning last weekend of October. Hope the weather cooperates.
    That's my weekend as well. I went last year the last weekend of October, and it was the day the shops called it quits because it was snowing at packer saddle. I rode up 1st Divide in the rain at night. I'll never forget that one!.
    So I'm going last weekend whatever the weather, but hoping for one more epic run. I'd really like to ride up to the tower from packer saddle.

Rollin 29s
    Nice.

Union Flat campground is good. This time of year, the lower elevation campgrounds are warmer and thus more comfortable.

The town is very safe for bikes. If you are uncomfortable, flip it over, take the front wheel out and put a small lock on it.
    Excellent! The other thing I thought about is - with a 2:30 shuttle, should I pack some lights just in case? Iím guessing it wonít arrive at Packer Saddle until 3:30, and realistically the ride will start at 3:45 or 4. Sunset is at 6:30, but it would be dark before that time in the trees. Iím bringing my 13 year old intermediate rider son, so it will probably be a 2 to 2.5hour ride down. Is that pushing it?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for posting this thread FC. I needed some motivation to get my ass up there again before it closes.

Excellent! The other thing I thought about is - with a 2:30 shuttle, should I pack some lights just in case? Iím guessing it wonít arrive at Packer Saddle until 3:30, and realistically the ride will start at 3:45 or 4. Sunset is at 6:30, but it would be dark before that time in the trees. Iím bringing my 13 year old intermediate rider son, so it will probably be a 2 to 2.5hour ride down. Is that pushing it?
    Yes, thatís pushing it. The problem is nobody will be coming down after you and this allows little extra time for mishaps or mechanicals. If your schedule does not permit an earlier shuttle, I would bring multiple lights and warm clothing just in case.

I dig trails!
    Downieville last weekend. Get it!

Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-screen-shot-2018-10-09-10.47.34-pm.jpg

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Thanks for posting this thread FC. I needed some motivation to get my ass up there again before it closes.

Yes, thatís pushing it. The problem is nobody will be coming down after you and this allows little extra time for mishaps or mechanicals. If your schedule does not permit an earlier shuttle, I would bring multiple lights and warm clothing just in case.

Thatís my thinking too. The Noon shuttle on Saturday with Yuba is full, otherwise that would have been my preference. Iíll see if the other company has an earlier one, otherwise have to just ride Sunday. Iím not feeling great about getting my son in a situation on those lower sections with narrow trails and cliff drop offs above the river in the dark with lights.
    Thanks

Rollin 29s
    Thatís my thinking too. The Noon shuttle on Saturday with Yuba is full, otherwise that would have been my preference. Iíll see if the other company has an earlier one, otherwise have to just ride Sunday. Iím not feeling great about getting my son in a situation on those lower sections with narrow trails and cliff drop offs above the river in the dark with lights.
    Thanks
    I requested an 11am with DVille Outfitters. Hopefully they have room. Thanks for camping suggestion too FC!

fc
    I requested an 11am with DVille Outfitters. Hopefully they have room. Thanks for camping suggestion too FC!
    Right on. They are good and always try to accommodate
    IPA will save America

fc
    Really cool to hear all these plans!!!

I would go there with my crews to join but have to see my son in Southern CA.

Lil peanut is now in college. Finance major and playing ball!

Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-img_9226.jpg
    teaching dad the game

Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-img_4186.jpg
    teaching kid about Downieville

Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-screen-shot-2018-10-07-9.25.36-pm.png
    finally his own red solo cup
    Last edited by fc; 10-10-2018 at 09:33 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nice.

I stopped by Ramshorn campground on the way up Saturday and it was already closed. Gates were locked so there was no entrance.

Rollin 29s
    Nice.

I tried online reservations at Union Flat just to see if they had RV sites, and the site isnít taking reservations - and all sites are listed as walk up. Any idea if this campground is still collecting fees, and if it has small travel trailer sites?

fc
    I tried online reservations at Union Flat just to see if they had RV sites, and the site isnít taking reservations - and all sites are listed as walk up. Any idea if this campground is still collecting fees, and if it has small travel trailer sites?
    The campgrounds are generally empty. And that has trailer sites.

They list fee collection until Oct. 15. There will be a bag over the collection bin if they're not collecting anymore.
    IPA will save America

Rollin 29s

The campgrounds are generally empty. And that has trailer sites.

They list fee collection until Oct. 15. There will be a bag over the collection bin if they're not collecting anymore.
    Great, we will be heading up Friday late afternoon, spinning some trails around town Saturday, have a 1:00 shuttle on Saturday with DVille Outfitters and planning a Sunday run early. They told me they would have the bikes unloaded in under an hour after departure from Downieville. Should be plenty of time baked in for mechanicals, etc.

Sedona riding last year
    Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-sedona.jpg

Downieville earlier this summer (god I was fat then. I've lost 22# since that photo)
    Run, don't walk to Downieville or the Sierras-downieville.jpg
    Last edited by isleblue65; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:30 AM.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Formerly dvo
    On the 11:30 and 2:30 Saturday. Likely dh course laps with some Second thrown in for fun. On the 9am Sunday. Likely a run out to A tree. Monday Jamison?

I'm the problem....

fc
    So who all is going?
    IPA will save America

huck to flat
    it might take a while to run there. I'd recommend driving.

mtbr member
    Booked some shuttles for next Saturday, couldn't make it happen this weekend. I'm stoked to check out the new gold rim trail!

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Booked some shuttles for next Saturday, couldn't make it happen this weekend. I'm stoked to check out the new gold rim trail!
    To me, the new Gold Valley Rim Trail is one of the best trails there. I rarely enjoy a pedally trail with lots of climbing that much. But after the first climb itís all golden. Be sure to start at the true Southern end, which is where the dirt road flattens out past Packer Saddle (feed zone are during the XC race) and then winds up and over about 10 yards East (downhill) of the parking lot. I think this trail seals the deal making the XC route overall better than the downhill route ó Gold Valley + Baby Heads + Pauley Creek > Sunrise + Upper and Middle Butcher. Its a tough call because Butcher Ranch is hard to beat, and know thatís sacrilege but there, I said it.

Rollin 29s

Downieville was great this weekend. The rain really knocked the dust down and it was perfect! Ideal Fall conditions.

Union Flat Campground as well as many of the others are fee free too, which makes it even better.

- Lord Charles Beresford

fc
    Can I get a helllll ya?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    To me, the new Gold Valley Rim Trail is one of the best trails there. I rarely enjoy a pedally trail with lots of climbing that much. But after the first climb itís all golden. Be sure to start at the true Southern end, which is where the dirt road flattens out past Packer Saddle (feed zone are during the XC race) and then winds up and over about 10 yards East (downhill) of the parking lot. I think this trail seals the deal making the XC route overall better than the downhill route ó Gold Valley + Baby Heads + Pauley Creek > Sunrise + Upper and Middle Butcher. Its a tough call because Butcher Ranch is hard to beat, and know thatís sacrilege but there, I said it.

Agreed that Gold Valley is a killer trail that definitely changes things, but the true Southern end would be at the tower. Tower to Pauley is such a good ride. No need to argue which is better, DH for breakfast and XC for lunch.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    Agreed that Gold Valley is a killer trail that definitely changes things, but the true Southern end would be at the tower. Tower to Pauley is such a good ride. No need to argue which is better, DH for breakfast and XC for lunch.
    Tower to Pauley to Big Boulder.

Bam!
    IPA will save America

Formerly dvo
    Three day weekend in my happy place. Ripped a run down the dh course Saturday morning.

Saturday afternoon was Butcher to Second. Best turns on the mountain but yíall keep passing it by.

Saturday night pool shark.

Main event Sunday. 9am shuttle to the perfect cycling trail to Spencer Lakes trail. Raw primitive and steep. Lavezzola took us home.

This mornings run was a chilly one down Butcher and Second again.
    The story on this broke down rig is that DVO has been using it to shuttle people up to the saddle. They unloaded and when the driver went to reverse the right front sheared off. Imagine if that would have happened on the highway with a full load of riders and bikes!

I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    DVO's rigs have always seemed a bit sketchy. That's one actually looks nice compared to the purple minivan.

Formerly dvo
    Along with avoiding sketchy rigs I would offer some other advise, avoid the River Inn ( with the pool ) and if you happen to find yourself there make sure and lock your shit, really sketchy new managers ( cash only at one point, police calls for randomness etc ) and in opposition to what FC posted on Fbook the pizza place has gotten good the last two seasons. Good burgers, good pizza ( thanks Rox! ) and Pliny on tap! FC's been too long as a pescawhateveritis and his tastes have skewed!
    I'm the problem....

ask
    user
    Get some! 3 Day weekend w/ MTBRDan. So fun

"...That said, we exhausted the comedy material in this thread, so we're done here." -KMax

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    Riding in Vans Old Skools, now that is cool.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Great pics!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So Ive done the regular downieville dh course 3 times now, and would like to explore other trails..

Would the new gold valley rim to big boulder be a good option for a solo rider? I'm itching to get back and think I might want to play hooky from work firday and Grab that 9am shuttle..

Anyone else heading up fri morning?

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by f0nz0 View Post
    So Ive done the regular downieville dh course 3 times now, and would like to explore other trails..

Would the new gold valley rim to big boulder be a good option for a solo rider? I'm itching to get back and think I might want to play hooky from work firday and Grab that 9am shuttle..

Anyone else heading up fri morning?
    Go for it! There are a few critical turns that are sometimes confusing, I recommend using the trail forks app.
    I'm the problem....

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    A buddy and I pedaled 4 laps of Incense Cedar and Lower Corral in South Lake today. Mid-40s when we got there, for up to low 60s and sunny the whole time. Best conditions I've encountered on those trails. Also, if you haven't ridden the South Lake Trails on a n aggressive hardtail with a dropper post, you're doing it all wrong. Absolutely PERFECT bike for smashing the fast, smooth trails there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Along with avoiding sketchy rigs I would offer some other advise, avoid the River Inn ( with the pool ) and if you happen to find yourself there make sure and lock your shit, really sketchy new managers ( cash only at one point, police calls for randomness etc ) and in opposition to what FC posted on Fbook the pizza place has gotten good the last two seasons. Good burgers, good pizza ( thanks Rox! ) and Pliny on tap! FC's been too long as a pescawhateveritis and his tastes have skewed!
    Confirmed the pizza is very good. Also the Mexican spot is on point.

mtbr member
    Go for it! There are a few critical turns that are sometimes confusing, I recommend using the trail forks app.
    You can do classic to top of third divide, then ride UP Big Boulder and back down out and back. This avoids heinous trading butcher ranch and sunrise for shitty fire roads. But it's quite the spicy climb

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by RoscoP View Post
    You can do classic to top of third divide, then ride UP Big Boulder and back down out and back. This avoids heinous trading butcher ranch and sunrise for shitty fire roads. But it's quite the spicy climb
    Or you can go down Sunrise and Butcher, climb Pauley and BB. It's the ASS approved shuttle route.
    I'm the problem....

Trail Gnome
    Man, I hate to agree with fc on anything but, heís correct...that pizza place has sh!tty pizza, I havenít tried anything else there...and I wonít go back. I will say that they have a good beer selection...the Hazelnut Porter is my favorite
    Iíll give the Mexican joint one more try; Iíve been there about 5 times...always just mediocre

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Man, I hate to agree with fc on anything but, heís correct...that pizza place has sh!tty pizza, I havenít tried anything else there...and I wonít go back. I will say that they have a good beer selection...the Hazelnut Porter is my favorite
    Iíll give the Mexican joint one more try; Iíve been there about 5 times...always just mediocre
    May be, but the RIDING always brings you back regardless, right? 👍😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    A buddy and I pedaled 4 laps of Incense Cedar and Lower Corral in South Lake today. Mid-40s when we got there, for up to low 60s and sunny the whole time. Best conditions I've encountered on those trails. Also, if you haven't ridden the South Lake Trails on a n aggressive hardtail with a dropper post, you're doing it all wrong. Absolutely PERFECT bike for smashing the fast, smooth trails there.
    Smooth trails? 👍😎

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post

Super rad pix! And where the hell IS knack nowadays anyway?!? 😎

SOG
    mtbr member

I've heard the same - what tire pressure are most people running? I run on the higher side but was wondering if people typically bump up their psi when hitting Downieville. Going there this weekend for the first time in 10 years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    40 psi on my end, not worth the risk of a pinch that far in the back country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    I've heard the same - what tire pressure are most people running? I run on the higher side but was wondering if people typically bump up their psi when hitting Downieville. Going there this weekend for the first time in 10 years.
    Personally Iím running wider rims and probably shouldíve gone up 5-7 psi from my normal settings. I donít go too high because I donít like my tires getting bucked off of every rock. However Iíve only been MTBíing for almost 3 years so Iím not the fastest guy.

Moderator Moderator
    40 psi on my end, not worth the risk of a pinch that far in the back country.
    Youíre running tubes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    no tubes, haha i guess I used the wrong excuse....reality is I just like the feel of a full tire!

mtbr member
    Downieville is still the only place I've pinch-flatted a tubeless setup.

But maybe that means I just need to ride harder on my home trails too

Moderator Moderator
    no tubes, haha i guess I used the wrong excuse....reality is I just like the feel of a full tire!
    I hear ya man! I run 30psi front and rear, which by many standards is way too high.

Rollin 29s
    I weigh 210, and ran my Ibis 938s (34mm inner width) at 17psi at Downieville. I couldnít believe it. Iíve always run close to 30psi there, but the guy at my LBS who was about my size said itís no problem. No rim strikes, no tire roll and plenty of grip and damper.

- Lord Charles Beresford

Ride, Race, Live
    I weigh 210, and ran my Ibis 938s (34mm inner width) at 17psi at Downieville. I couldnít believe it. Iíve always run close to 30psi there, but the guy at my LBS who was about my size said itís no problem. No rim strikes, no tire roll and plenty of grip and damper.

I got out there last weekend, and it's dried out again. It's not as dusty as it was in July, but not the perfect conditions as originally posted. It's still awesome though.

RE: tire pressure. I add 3 psi front and rear additional over my normal range.
    On my Ibis 741 (35mm internal) I run 24 front 26 rear, DHF 2.5, and DHR 2.4.
    FYI when I was there in July I pinch flatted my my rear Maxxis DHR 3C on the last downhill of 1st divide running the same 26PSI.
    It's not just about PSI, and what you weigh. It's about how fast you're going when you hit the square edged rocks. According to my strava I was in the 30's on the piece of trail.

mtbr member
    Good place for cushcore

Rollin 29s

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    I got out there last weekend, and it's dried out again. It's not as dusty as it was in July, but not the perfect conditions as originally posted. It's still awesome though.

RE: tire pressure. I add 3 psi front and rear additional over my normal range.
    On my Ibis 741 (35mm internal) I run 24 front 26 rear, DHF 2.5, and DHR 2.4.
    FYI when I was there in July I pinch flatted my my rear Maxxis DHR 3C on the last downhill of 1st divide running the same 26PSI.
    It's not just about PSI, and what you weigh. It's about how fast you're going when you hit the square edged rocks. According to my strava I was in the 30's on the piece of trail.
    My son was riding behind me on my Niner with Pisgah tires and 25.5mm internal Stans Flow, running tubeless. Tire pressure was high 20psi (27 - 28psi), and heís 110#. It was on that choppy section of upper Butcher Ranch after the rock overlook. He burped a bead and flatted, and also tore a knobby off, creating a sealant-gushing hole that my largest plug wouldnít fill. I was moving considerably faster in front of him on the same trail with those low pressures. Not 30mph, but itís ridiculous that I never hit a rim on that trail with 17psi.

Itís not just about how fast you are going. It knowing which line to pick while going fast.

Last edited by isleblue65; 1 Week Ago at 08:03 AM.
    - Lord Charles Beresford