Royal Gorge trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Royal Gorge trails?

So what's the scoop with the riding around Royal Gorge? I know there has been some trail work/development done over the last year or two but I'm unclear whats available up there. Is it mostly fire road? Singletrack? Any maps or suggested routes? Worth checking out?

mtbr member
    Better places to ride mtb, still. There's not much mileage of old bedded in trails and the little bit of nifty new stuff that's in hasn't even had a season under snow yet. It just can't compare with other Summit offerings at this point although the potential is fantastic! Let's see what John says about this because he's da' man. Super fantastic hiking up there though!

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    I rode a lot of the Royal Gorge stuff this summer immediately around Serene Lakes. Its not "epic", but there's some fun stuff there and some decent mileage without the massive vertical that's common with most of the other high country trails.

Since Royal Gorge stopped maintaining the trails at snow cat width, they have overgrown substantially to the point that its closer to single track that fire road in a lot of places.

As far as maps go, just Google up the royal gorge trail maps. There's still out there on line. Some of the trail markers are still up as well (maybe 50%). There are some new trails, and some of the ridge tops are rideable even though there is not trail marked there. There's also some tracks on strava.

I typically avoid the trails in the south east quadrant. The geology in that area creates a lot of "moon-dust and baby head" conditions that are not fun going either up or down.