Rose to Toads elevation profile- Mtbr.com
    mtbr dismember

Rose to Toads elevation profile

"Below is the elevation profile for Rose to Toads via the TRT between Kingsbury and Heavenly. I suggest you try it. Why ride pavement when you can ride singletrack?"
    5/15/15. I'm restoring my original post. I used the elevation profile and perhaps others may want to. Debbie Downers are going to have to find something else to whine about.

Rose to Toads elevation profile-rose-toads.jpg
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 05-15-2015 at 07:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Unless you want food and water, particularly water, ever try to go from Spooner to a good water source this time of year, especially if it turns out to be warm? Last time I did it I ran out of water right at the VanSickle intersection, lucky I had stashed water & Gatorade there the day before. One year I did make it from Spooner to the the stream past Star but I was really conserving, something you do not want to do on a ride like this.

Looking forward to the 4th Annual TAMBA Rose to Toads Saturday!

mtbr member
    Well I carry 100 oz in the camel back and 1 water bottle (Topped off at spooner, and still have run out at Vansickle) and a filter does not work if there is nothing to filter and right now it's a long stretch with no filterable water. Just saying for those unfamiliar it's probably not a wise move to skip the store.

Have you ever done Rose to Toads?

mtbr dismember

Not me

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    ... Last time I did it I ran out of water right at the VanSickle intersection...!
    I always carry lots of liquid and I often have to give some to others on the Rose to Van Sickle ride. And I'll bring my filter. Below is Rose to Van Sickle July '13. Temperature was in 90's on Kingsbury and the guy with me got sick. But a thunderstorm came in and dropped the temperature about 40 degrees.

Going my slow pace conserves energy and water. And do you know that burning glycogen releases vast amounts of water? I always carbohydrate load big time before long rides and it starts today!
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 08-26-2014 at 04:22 AM.

mtbr dismember

Listen to him folks!

Well I carry 100 oz in the camel back and 1 water bottle (Topped off at spooner, and still have run out at Vansickle) and a filter does not work if there is nothing to filter and right now it's a long stretch with no filterable water. Just saying for those unfamiliar it's probably not a wise move to skip the store. Have you ever done Rose to Toads?
    I always carry more liquid than that. And certainly everybody is different with respect to hydration needs. 3/4 of the people I've taken on Rose to Van Sickle have run out of water, especially if they are from the mild, sea level Bay Area. Last I knew the pump at Spooner was not on. So don't count on it.

I'm not doing Rose to Toads. Not enough daylight for me this time of year.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Come on Jeff, you're never going to be a REAL mountain biker riding the road over to the Summit Store for food and water.

I for one am resigned to being weak and not riding the whole dirt route to Toads so I can get a massive Don Miguel burrito at the store. I'll make it up by going to the bottom of X-Mas Valley, maybe that will be good enough to redeem myself in the Wolf's eyes.

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    Come on Jeff, you're never going to be a REAL mountain biker riding the road over to the Summit Store for food and water...maybe that will be good enough to redeem myself in the Wolf's eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    ...I recommend you try it....
    Hardly what I said. The TRT between Kingsbury and Van Sickle is great, so what's the harm if I recommend it? I said I am not riding Rose to Toads, so I'll take the singletrack. I avoid pavement whenever possible. That's my preference and I do not care what others do. Excuse me for trying to provide information to those who may not have ridden the route

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cool, a pissing match...

That would explain this completely random comment from this and many other threads.....sorry, too lazy to dig up every other weekly thread where you boast about taking the trail to Heavenly.

Yes, I know about it. But they start too late for me, and the shuttle is full anyway. I'm posting to see if anybody else wants to start early with me. With that many people I bet you won't get on the trail until 7:30. That leaves exactly 12 hours until sundown. I recently did Spooner down Toads in 11:30. I know every section of the route extremely well and 12 hours isn't enough for me.

I'll see how I'm doing at Star Lake before proceeding over Freel Pass. The two HABs between Star Lake and Freel kill me. Fortunately all the rides end at the bottom of Toads.

BTW, I don't do road. I stick to the TRT from Kingsbury to Heavenly.

We get it, you're a badass because you take the trail over to Heavenly, me personally, I can't make it to Star Lake without water at Heavenly so I go to the store as many others do, no harm, no foul. It's a great section, but there are reasons some don't do it, mostly so they can continue on to stuff you don't usually do. I always take the trail going the reverse direction, but then your only an hour from Star Lake at that point and Spooner is completely doable on 100oz.

I've got nothing against you personally, hell I don't even know you. I'm sure we would hit it off no problem. And while I am always impressed with your tenacity and your ability to ride some tough stuff given your age and your knees, your condescending tone on many threads is tiresome at times and I would imagine that was what got TBC and I to respond in the first place.

mtbr dismember

Pissing match?

...And certainly everybody is different with respect to hydration needs....
    Me: "Listen to him (TahoeBC) folks!"

Where is the pissing match? Excuse me again for taking the time to stitch some GPX tracks together for those who may not have done the route. Why does it bother you if I state different riding preferences than you? I don't go to Tahoe to ride road. "That's my preference and I do not care what others do." If you read anything else into it that is your fault. Nobody would ever associate me with a badass. I do what I can and along the way I really enjoy introducing people to Tahoe riding.

mtbr dismember

Two can play this game

Two can play this game... From your blog:

I managed to get in on a Global Biorhythm Event shuttle finally... I'd get home and stare at it for a couple of minutes and blow it off because it was essentially a downhill shuttle, not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against shuttlers, it's just that I prefer to ride to the top of any hill I go down.

I perfectly understand your sentiments and I certainly do not consider it condescending, nor implying you are a badass

Kingsbury to Heavenly is essentially a road ride, not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against roadies, it's just that I prefer to ride singletrack rather than road.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Awesome retort. So by your reasoning the next time I hear about a Pinecrest Shuttle that is out of my league I should randomly insert my opinion and tell them what is the best route for them.... You also failed to recognize the obvious, that even though it's not my usual style, I happily did it and had a grand time. It kicked my ass and opened up a whole bunch of opportunities that would not have existed had I stuck to my old ways.

It's 2.5 miles, not a Tour De France stage. Perhaps if you bypassed up to the store you wouldn't find yourself going down the same trail every time and a bunch of opportunities would open up for you as well.

mtbr dismember

Ban me please

...I should randomly insert my opinion and tell them what is the best route for them.... It kicked my ass and opened up a whole bunch of opportunities that would not have existed had I stuck to my old ways.
    I recommend you try it.
    It might help if you had better reading comprehension and knew what "recommend" means. And it was not random, it was an explanation of the elevation profile I posted. Again, excuse me for trying to inform people doing the ride.

By your reasoning people should try my suggested route to perhaps kick their ass and open up a whole bunch of opportunities that would not have existed had they stuck to the old pavement route? Seems like you agree with me.

I don't understand why my opinions are so important to you. Do yourself a favor and put me on your banned poster list. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

mtbr member
    I always carry lots of liquid and I often have to give some to others on the Rose to Van Sickle ride. And I'll bring my filter. Below is Rose to Van Sickle July '13. Temperature was in 90's on Kingsbury and the guy with me got sick. But a thunderstorm came in and dropped the temperature about 40 degrees.
    Do you think you could have made it to Star lake to filter water that day if the temps had stayed warm? For me no way, I can't carry that much water weight on my achy back with only 1 water bottle cage on my bike. Your telling people it makes no sense to ride the road when in many cases it does, especially on a ride you have never done personally and that's what rubs some folks the wrong way. Personally I have no problem riding pavement, did a ton this last week cause it was the most efficient way to get to where I wanted to be in the time I had to do it, so I can get to what I really like the "DOWN". Every one has there own personnel goals if yours are to stay off the road and do the same rides week after week, good for you! But don't tell people it makes no sense... Although I've done the route you suggested and then some more than once, my back issues will have me riding up the road this weekend, in fact I'll probably take fire road all the way to Mott Canyon cause that is what will get me to Toads and makes the most sense for me.

mtbr dismember

Hydration

Do you think you could have made it to Star lake to filter water that day if the temps had stayed warm?
    I do not believe in relying on filtering water. I am slow enough that I do not care how much my pack weighs. You can't carry too much liquid as far as I am concerned. I had plenty but if it. But if it had stayed warm, and the other guy hadn't recovered, I would have gotten him off the trail ASAP.

...here is the elevation profile.....staying on the TRT... And certainly everybody is different with respect to hydration needs.... The last 1/3 mile climb to the top of Van Sickle is tough.
    I only gave "my" opinion and "recommendation" and tried to provide information which might help others decide which way to go. It makes no sense to "me" to ride pavement. But nobody else is me. Anyone contemplating this ride is probably a whole lot better rider than me. However, IMO everyone should be conservative the first time they do a new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    I definitely recommend staying on the TRT past Kingsbury Grade as Wherewolf suggests.
    At least one other shares my opinion

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I only carry a 100. Cannot imagine riding R2T without a stop at the store for water. I really like the suggested route by Wherewolf but not on race day and not without some other way of getting water.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    stitch some GPX tracks together for those who may not have done the route...
    IMO, it's a dangerous thing to do to make recommendations to a route that you yourself have not actually done even if you have done pieces on the route (with overlap) many times. To expand a little (not relevant to this thread): I've also seen Henry Coe route recommendations made purely based on reading a map, and the obvious paths on map make no sense on a bike. So, some recommendations are better not offered no matter how well intentioned they are unless they are out of your personal experience.

For those doing Rose to Toads here is the elevation profile...No sense riding pavement when you can ride singletrack.
    It's probably good that TBC jumped in; otherwise, people who truly have not ridden the route, not familiar with the area, but stumbled on your initial post (that sounded very authoritative) from online searches, they might get the impression the trail is the only "sensible" way to go since it didn't even mention the existence of the market, while a stop at the market would make a lot of sense to a lot of folks passing through.

I'm just happy that there are the options for people to choose for themselves. I've done both variations in this area, and I think taking the road here doesn't make this Rose-To-Toads ride any less quality. After all, we are not talking about skipping singletrack downhills.

I always carry more liquid than that. And certainly everybody is different with respect to hydration needs. 3/4 of the people I've taken on Rose to Van Sickle have run out of water, especially if they are from the mild, sea level Bay Area. Last I knew the pump at Spooner was not on. So don't count on it.

I'm not doing Rose to Toads.
    I do not believe in relying on filtering water. I am slow enough that I do not care how much my pack weighs. You can't carry too much liquid as far as I am concerned....
    Actually, that worries me a little. From my observation, many readers on MTBR look up to you and seek out your advice, and apparently, you often times do take "new riders" on some fairly big rides. I can't help but wonder how many of those riders that ran out of water were influenced by you trying to carry a heavy pack with all water they think was required and skipped some easy-to-access water sources such as Spooner and Kinsbury markets even when they could have used the help.

On too many rides I end up giving some to someone else who didn't bring enough. This happens the most with weight weenies and Bay Area riders.
    I don't want to pick on you, Wherewolf. There are people on this board who worship you (wonder if they are the people who got water from you) and I don't want to upset them or you. But, I have some slight issues about you picking on us people "from the mild, sea level Bay Area." I'm a sensitive gal.

IMO everyone should be conservative the first time they do a new ride.
    No kidding. Everyone should ride smart and look into all options.

Oh, BTW, for completion of information in case it was not already obvious, there is also a market at Spooner where one can easily buy water (and icecream!!!) when they are open.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr dismember

Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by mudncrud View Post
    I only carry a 100. Cannot imagine riding R2T without a stop at the store for water. I really like the suggested route by Wherewolf but not on race day and not without some other way of getting water.
    IMO it is crazy to try to go from Rose to Heavenly with only 100 oz. of liquid. But that is just "my" opinion. The TAMBA website promises "goodies at the rest stops along the way." If they provided liquids that could make a real difference in route selection.

mtbr dismember

Whoa!

Read my posts, I always urge people to bring extra water. But that seems to mean different things to different people and it drives me crazy. But if I invite someone on a ride I am responsible for them and they'll get my food and water if they need it. Coe riders have plenty of hydration experience. Not picking on you, but many "mild [temperature], sea level Bay Area" people aren't used to hot temperatures nor elevation, their effects on hydration needs, and too many have gotten in trouble by not listening to me. Weight weenies are also often a problem. Anybody who "worships" me is crazy. Did you note I said I am not doing Rose to Toads, not enough daylight for my slow pace? And anybody who doesn't prepare, both physically and mentally, for a big, new ride, is also crazy.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Someone in this thread is a condescending ass it seems ...
    signed,
    A Homophobe.

Name:  spaceball.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  pissingcontest.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  33.6 KB

Let's ride
    Beer and pizza next to the store, or filter water out of that sometimes very nasty creek...

The climb from the creek to vansickle is a tough 900ft, with long-ish HAB sections(and that's when i'm fresh).

After VanSickle junction, a long steep FR climb to TRT. Then, lots of up/down ST with lot's of HAB. The next water is a long ride away, Star lake is 12 miles from the VS junction.

If you're looking for the most energy efficient way to get to store from TRT, exit N. Benjamin, or castle rock junction on TRT and R on Andria/N. Benjamin and cross hwy. Or go to next FR junction and take L to get to N. Benjamin 38.979615, -119.893838.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Amazing effort with a zero BPM heartrate. Are you a freakin’ zombie or something?
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Read my posts, I always urge people to bring extra water. But that seems to mean different things to different people and it drives me crazy. But if I invite someone on a ride I am responsible for them and they'll get my food and water if they need it. Coe riders have plenty of hydration experience. Not picking on you, but many "mild [temperature], sea level Bay Area" people aren't used to hot temperatures nor elevation, their effects on hydration needs, and too many have gotten in trouble by not listening to me. Weight weenies are also often a problem. Anybody who "worships" me is crazy. Did you note I said I am not doing Rose to Toads, not enough daylight for my slow pace? And anybody who doesn't prepare, both physically and mentally, for a big, new ride, is also crazy.
    No worries here about “e-penis” concerns, your statements and observations are totally understood in regard to these ass-kicker rides. Have been to Coe on a small handful of rides (average distance of around 50 miles and average footies accrued of around 11,000) and so I totally understand what is expected of a person willing to take on such a challenge. Message here = BE PREPARED. As in, super-fuckin’ prepared for anything that can go wrong (which surely will if your flatlander ass is thinking about carbon weight-weenie luxuries).
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post

After VanSickle junction, a long steep FR climb to TRT.
    What are you referring to here? Van Sickle at TRT junction climbing onward on TRT is all singletrack and pretty mellow for quite a ways.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    What are you referring to here? Van Sickle at TRT junction climbing onward on TRT is all singletrack and pretty mellow for quite a ways.
    VS TRT junction onward is a quick ST, to the FR junction. If you continue on ST there, you get to the ski lifts and then it is quite tough ST up. If you choose the easier FR route to TRT, it is fairly steep for ~1mi until it meets TRT ST again. There onward on TRT is mellow with some HAB.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    If somebody reads an internet post and goes on a 60 mile route at high altitude in hot weather without proper preparation, it is their damn problem. Stop picking on Wherewolf, he is doing no harm.

mtbr dismember

Drama queens

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    If somebody reads an internet post and goes on a 60 mile route at high altitude in hot weather without proper preparation, it is their damn problem.
    Yep. Bunch of drama queens! I provide an elevation profile, a suggested alternate route with caveats, and people may do with them what they wish. If they read more into that it is their own fault. But all this drama and arguing is stupid, especially from busybodies who won't even be doing the ride. If this is a new ride for you I highly recommend examining what I have provided, thank me, and realistically evaluate your capabilities and preparation.

mtbr dismember

Coe

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    No worries here about “e-penis” concerns, your statements and observations are totally understood in regard to these ass-kicker rides. Have been to Coe on a small handful of rides (average distance of around 50 miles and average footies accrued of around 11,000) and so I totally understand what is expected of a person willing to take on such a challenge. Message here = BE PREPARED. As in, super-****in’ prepared for anything that can go wrong (which surely will if your flatlander ass is thinking about carbon weight-weenie luxuries).
    I think Coe rides are a lot tougher than Tahoe rides and I have avoided them due to the heat and climbing. But if one has not ridden at altitude a few times they might want to reconsider the Tahoe ride. I've had a few people get altitude sickness up there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yep. Bunch of drama queens! I provide an elevation profile, a suggested alternate route with caveats. But all this drama and arguing is stupid, especially from busybodies who won't even be doing the ride.
    You do see the irony in this statement as you aren't doing the ride, nor likely can you, especially when doing your your "suggestions". Also, can you please point out the caveats you seem to think you posted in your original post, the one at the very top, as I see no caveats until TBC started calling you out on your post.

My first comment was strictly a friendly jab at you for the road comment, you decided you wanted to start an internet argument over it, not me. Too bad, I feel that you may have lost some respect from the MTBR community which was certainly not my intent. I was surprised to receive a bunch of positive reps comments for calling out the "grumpy ass old man", again, not my intent. Perhaps you can take what was said in this thread, re-examine it and learn from it. If not, no big deal, continue on as you have.

As for banning you. First off I would have no idea how to do that. Secondly I have no reason. You missed the point where I said I don't know or have a problem with you. I usually enjoy the pictures in your posts so this would make no sense.

Once again I would encourage you to re-examine this thread and try to take something different away from it.

mtbr dismember
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    mtbr dismember

Wherewolf's Avatar Join Date
    Jan 2004

"The lady doth post too much, methinks". A lot of activity from someone that "doesn't care what people think".

mtbr dismember
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I'm a "she".

Did I hear Drama Queen?

Yep. Bunch of drama queens! I provide an elevation profile, a suggested alternate route with caveats, and people may do with them what they wish. If they read more into that it is their own fault. But all this drama and arguing is stupid, especially from busybodies who won't even be doing the ride. If this is a new ride for you I highly recommend examining what I have provided, thank me, and realistically evaluate your capabilities and preparation.
    I came running thinking Wherewolf had called me out, but then I got confused by "busybodies who won't even be doing the ride". Hmmm, are you referring to ... um... LP, Axe, etc. (or maybe they are actually doing the R2T ride? plus hey, they tried to help you) or... you... yourself? Ha, a great sense of humor there after all!

Mr. Mud and I are in for the TAMBA Rose-to-Toads ride. Only our second year doing it (okay, he did it two weekends in a row, but still less than some other veterans here). Hoping my cough (aftermath of TS100) will go away; and if not, glad to donate to TAMBA for the three days/year of riding I do in Tahoe. Hope to see ALL of you on the trails (even if not all at Tramway Market), and I for one, will say "hi." Oh, when I'm huffing and puffing too hard, it could be a silent "hi", but rest assured, it's there somewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    VS TRT junction onward is a quick ST, to the FR junction. If you continue on ST there, you get to the ski lifts and then it is quite tough ST up. If you choose the easier FR route to TRT, it is fairly steep for ~1mi until it meets TRT ST again. There onward on TRT is mellow with some HAB.
    Thanks. I've done this section of TRT quite a few times, but never tried that variation. I like the singletrack section this bypasses, but it's good to have options. The new trail from Stagecoach parking lot has been open for awhile too. So if you're riding Stagecoach to Toads like we did yesterday you bypass the now closed steep ski slope trail. Just missed the huge hailstorm which hit soon after we finished.

Totally, and to the max.
    I'm late to the party. Not to weigh in on the topic, but to say that I'm doing this ride too! Yay. Been too many years contemplating it. Funny though, that my one issue is with how much to carry. Or more accurately, how little. The thing is, I HATE BACKPACKS ON RIDES. I don't even know where to begin, but let me just say that they suck ass, and drag me down. I've been relying solely on waterbottles lately, but that's gotten me in trouble since I've had some recent issues with being underprepared. My fitness level is pretty good right now, but I'm just not sure how much I should risk running bottles, although knowing there are a few spots to rehydrate along the way, I'm still considering it. 3 bottles is @ 60 oz. That should easily get me from Rose to Star Lake. The question is, how much do I need to get from Daggett Station to the bottom of Toads? That's when I'd be sucking down the most water and hitting bonk zone. Is 60 oz. for me enough? Only if the spring past Star Lake is running, which I doubt. The answer to this question will either make me wear a pack, or have me descending Armstrong Pass trail.

Thoughts?

I'm a "she".
    No topic to weigh in anyway since the post that started it all was emptied. But I doubt anyone dare telling you if 60oz is enough FOR YOU or not. However, I will say that I did do the 2012 TAMBA R2T ride without a pack. Had three shorties (20oz) on my bike along with all the repair gears (I had bags all over my bike). Remember feeling the weight of the bike on the hike-a-bike to Monument Pass. I don't like packs either, but this year, I plan to bring a lumbar pack to take weight off of my bike. BTW, lumbar pack works better for me than the conventional camelbaks.

mtbr member
    The spring past Star is running as of yesterday.

mtbr dismember

Too dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    No topic to weigh in anyway since the post that started it all was emptied. ...
    Too dangerous

mtbr member
    Rose to Toads elevation profile-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like the store route when doing Rose to ____ because you can resupply on blunt wraps, cookies, and cherry coke. nutrition for the alpine! Slam a liter of chilled H20 then 3 2 1!

I'm a "she".
    TahoeBC, how much extra time you think it will require by going over Marlette Overlook vs. taking Flume due to the added climbing and distance? I'm toying with the idea of changing things up a little since we took Flume last time.

mtbr member
    I used to remember all this stuff, but now every time I put something new in my head something else falls out since I never carry a gps when I do Rose to Toads to save weight and that's about the only time I go that direction to Marlette Overlook I don't have my own GPS data to look at, I'll just say it's a bit longer

BTW there is a water pump just down hill from the campground, it takes two people to really operate effectively though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Mei, For me, it's about 20-30 minutes longer to go over the top. YMMV. You might feel that climb later in the day though. TBC is right about the pump, not the most efficient design I've seen.

I'm a "she".
    I used to remember all this stuff, but now every time I put something new in my head something else falls out since I never carry a gps when I do Rose to Toads to save weight and that's about the only time I go that direction to Marlette Overlook I don't have my own GPS data to look at, I'll just say it's a bit longer

BTW there is a water pump just down hill from the campground, it takes two people to really operate effectively though.
    You a weight weenie? Not Me! I carry a GPS brick with its battery pack (to show the course as I'm navigational challenged) as well as my phone with its battery pack (as a backup for track recording). That must be why I'm slow.

I'm a "she".
    Mei, For me, it's about 20-30 minutes longer to go over the top. YMMV. You might feel that climb later in the day though. TBC is right about the pump, not the most efficient design I've seen.
    Thanks Sean. Good point about the lasting impact from an early exertion. Let me think about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    You a weight weenie?
    Since I don't need a GPS for navigation on a ride like this, I have no need to carry the extra weight for 60+ miles. Actually to minimize the weight on my back I usually start this ride with 1/3 full camel back and an empty water bottle and top off at Spooner, no need to carry all that water for that section, it's not like we are crossing a desert here

Finch Plate demonstrating the proper way to pump water at the campground

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Single Speed is all lubed and ready to go for my first run at this ride. It'll be nice to have a nice chill easy ride for a change. I'm going to just leave super early tomorrow and ride up to the AM shuttle since the hwy's are already a mess because of the 3 day weekend.

mtbr member
    I'll have to put this ride on my bucket list. Is this ride ss able? I've ridden around the star lake area before but the other places no...pe......
    1man 1gear 1speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cRasHmAstER View Post
    I'll have to put this ride on my bucket list. Is this ride ss able? I've ridden around the star lake area before but the other places no...pe......
    I've done every section on a ss and had fun, but I'm not strong enough to do the whole route without gears.

I'm a "she".

2014 4th Annual TAMBA Rose to Toads Ride

Didn't feel like starting a new thread, but wanted to give TAMBA a big shoutout for yet another successful run of the event! I cannot imagine how much effort Ben and Amy had put into it. I don't do organized rides/races often, but did do a couple recently. I'm more than impressed how Amy went up and beyond to accommodate as many people as possible and to do complicated shuffling to ensure everyone gets the shuttle they needed. The communication emails are always comprehensive, clear, informative, and upbeat! And this is all for a no-charge ride (we all know $20 fee cannot get you this shuttle anywhere else).

So, thank you Amy, Ben, and all the volunteers who helped make this ride so enjoyable!!!

Before the ride, we talked about making this one our last Rose to Toads ride deciding that a brutal long drive out from the Bay Area in the holiday traffic is just too much to bear, but now we already know that we want to do it again. It'll never be an easy ride for us lowlanders, but the scenery and the technical challenges along with the fun sections really make this a world-class MTB ride in my book.

mtbr member
    If your a strong rider, sure it is, rode from the tramway aid station to the end of Toads portion of the ride with a single speeder.

Great seeing lots of good friends out there yesterday and riding with some of you, including Wherewolf making his own solo attempt.

Could not have asked for a nicer day, lots of stoked out folks, Amy and Ben you Rock

NedwannaB
    I'd do it with you! Once I have an SS set up again.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NINER Rip9 RDO(future...)
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yes it's possible
    Rode a 34-20 setup on the Niner but I can almost guarantee you'll want shorter. As I reached the top of the climb before descending to Armstrong there was a huge group of random people just chilling at the summit. what was cool was when they saw I was on a SS they unanimously became my own personal sheering section pumping me before dropping into the descent, that alone made the SS choice worth it.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    Yes it's possible
    Rode a 34-20 setup on the Niner but I can almost guarantee you'll want shorter. As I reached the top of the climb before descending to Armstrong there was a huge group of random people just chilling at the summit. what was cool was when they saw I was on a SS they unanimously became my own personal sheering section pumping me before dropping into the descent, that alone made the SS choice worth it.
    That is a solid gear on 29, just for riding some of that ride, let alone all. Nice!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    Yes it's possible
    Rode a 34-20 setup on the Niner but I can almost guarantee you'll want shorter
    34/20 up over Freil. Dayham dude.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NINER Rip9 RDO(future...)
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    34/20 up over Freil. Dayham dude.
    Crazy!