Roll Call - Santa Teresa Park Yesterday- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roll Call - Santa Teresa Park Yesterday

Saw alot of MTB'ers out riding yesterday. Most I have seen there. If you were there...say hi.

I was on a black/blue Giant Anthem X2 and my buddy was on a charcoal SC Nomad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I climbed Quicksilver yesterday and was actually going to hit STP up to Coyote Peak as well if I had time. I'll be out there this evening.

mtbr member
    I would you compare STP compared to say... St Josephs, Quicksilver, Kennedy-Priest Rock, Fremont Older, or Saratoga Gap?

STP is within riding distance for me and was wandering it would be for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by light_monkey
    I would you compare STP compared to say... St Josephs, Quicksilver, Kennedy-Priest Rock, Fremont Older, or Saratoga Gap?

I ride STP at least 5 days a week. If you'd like a tour, I'd love to hang out with a fellow local.

I just got back from there - boy, I can't wait to race that park this coming season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by light_monkey

What makes Santa Teresa fun is the two rocky single track trails 1) Rocky Ridge Trail 2) Stiles Ranch Trail. Imagine the phrase a dirt trail with little bit of rocks. Flip that around and its a rock trail with little bit of dirt. That describes Rocky & Stiles. Still with me....

If you can handle the ascents of Fremont Older, that you can handle climbing at STP. Just dont try to ride up rocky ridge like i did the very first time I visited STP. Noob mistake

If you consider yourself a beginner, i recommend bring some elbow/shin gaurds if you ride down those trails. There are other rock-free single track at STP that are also pretty fun. I wished I lived closer to STP.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker
    What makes Santa Teresa fun is the two rocky single track trails 1) Rocky Ridge Trail 2) Stiles Ranch Trail. Imagine the phrase a dirt trail with little bit of rocks. Flip that around and its a rock trail with little bit of dirt. That describes Rocky & Stiles. Still with me....

If you can handle the ascents of Fremont Older, that you can handle climbing at STP. Just dont try to ride up rocky ridge like i did the very first time I visited STP. Noob mistake

If you consider yourself a beginner, i recommend bring some elbow/shin gaurds if you ride down those trails. There are other rock-free single track at STP that are also pretty fun. I wished I lived closer to STP.
    What a great description of Rocky Ridge and Stile Range!

I do live closer. Not by accident.

STP fire roads are similar to Sierra Azul, but the hills are much steeper than Quicksilver. STP also has no shade whatsoever. That's why I ride it before work.

Oh, and I was out there early this morning.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    @ Dion, thanks for your offer. I usually ride mtb on Saturday morning as it is the only free time I have.

Where would you guys recommend that I ride within STP first? St Joes is becoming a little too familiar.

I'm a beginner at mtb, but not a total noob at this point. FYI, I can go up and down St Joseph's well under 30 minutes without overly exerting myself. And, I got over being nervous descending in St Joes and Quicksilver. I may even try Dogmeat pretty soon. I did have to get off my bike several times when I did Saratoga Gap.

Thanks for your feedback.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    My usual: Park for free @ the top little lot before IBM and from there join the trail heading down to the right - watch for a right fork and climb the two switchbacking hills up & over Stile Ranch, which wraps around the side back to the main lower lot. Before you get to the lot you can either take the steep left climb for another loop (keep left on other side or straight up to your car) - or you can flip right after the little dip if you feel like climbing/walking up Rocky Ridge. The other option is to ignore that right turn and just go straight to the main lot, ride across to the other side, and take Hidden Springs, a big boring steep but safe fireroad with views, up to the back/top of Rocky Ridge, then just bomb down that. Not a big park but it's convenient & nice enough.

Oh, another option is to ride to / park @ the archery range lot on Ave Espana/Bayliss (its just a gravel turn off, easy to miss).. then climb up the Ohlone trail or whatever as it goes behind the golf course, then left up Coyote Peak to the top of Rocky Ridge. It's steep but just fireroad so you won't break your face (yet)
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I took my boys (4.3 and 6.6 years old) on the trails at Santa Teresa todayÖ on my Surly Big Dummy (towing a Burley Piccolo). My oldest son was the designated stoker, proving a slight turbo boost via the pedals on the Burley Piccolo. We rode 18.66 miles in total (itís 6.68 miles each way to/from my house and [email protected]). I was impressed with how well it handled on the trails with two squirmy kids in tow. I just went the basic route, no Rocky Ridge, just rode over to the big parking lot where the covered picnic area and volleyball court is located. The only really tricky part was getting the setup over the log barriers at the trailheads, but we managed. My boys had such a blast! They are confused as to why they need to go to school instead of just going mountain biking with daddy every day!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    I was at STP today around 4pm and saw about eight Sheriff car parked next to each other in the big lot. The Sheriffs were out and about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll be riding STP nearly everyday this week, tapering off to prep for next weekend's CX race in Prunedale. Today's race was a DOOZY. I need to HTFU in a major way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    I took my boys (4.3 and 6.6 years old) on the trails at Santa Teresa todayÖ on my Surly Big Dummy (towing a Burley Piccolo). My oldest son was the designated stoker, proving a slight turbo boost via the pedals on the Burley Piccolo. We rode 18.66 miles in total (itís 6.68 miles each way to/from my house and [email protected]). I was impressed with how well it handled on the trails with two squirmy kids in tow. I just went the basic route, no Rocky Ridge, just rode over to the big parking lot where the covered picnic area and volleyball court is located. The only really tricky part was getting the setup over the log barriers at the trailheads, but we managed. My boys had such a blast! They are confused as to why they need to go to school instead of just going mountain biking with daddy every day!

Hey! Thanks for the info on Rocky Ridge. It was awesome!

That was a sweet setup you had with your 2 boys in tow. I'm looking forward to doing the same with my kids (1st on the way - girl) in the future!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by gswarriorfan
    Hey! Thanks for the info on Rocky Ridge. It was awesome!

That was a sweet setup you had with your 2 boys in tow. I'm looking forward to doing the same with my kids (1st on the way - girl) in the future!
    Oh, that was you at the parking lot trailhead off of Bernal today?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nah I think I caught you on your way out on Fortini trail. I was looking at my map for directions.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by gswarriorfan
    Nah I think I caught you on your way out on Fortini trail. I was looking at my map for directions.
    Ahh yes, I remember now. Every time I go out on those trails, people are asking me about them. I am no expert, rather, I am just a giver of opinions. But for sure, Rocky Ridge is a pretty complete riding workout, whether youíre going up or down the hill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll be out there again today. If I don't stop on the trail to say "WHAD UP?!" it's just because I'm in "training mode" (training for last place again?) getting ready for Sunday's festivities of torture.

Look for the purple-bar rigid!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    I'll be out there again today. If I don't stop on the trail to say "WHAD UP?!" it's just because I'm in "training mode" (training for last place again?) getting ready for Sunday's festivities of torture.

Look for the purple-bar rigid!
    Bah! Honey-do list impeded with even getting out there today. Looks like Friday for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0