Rode something other than the gap today- Mtbr.com
    Resident Curmudgeon

Rode something other than the gap today

Montebello and Skyline Ridge Openspace Preserves. My climbing capacity sucks since I had the flu a few weeks ago. some of the sections damn near put me to my max heart rate. Damn fun ride though

The first part of the ride is a 1500 vertical drop down the grizzly flat fire road for 3-4 miles

then the single track, creek crossing and the beginning of a 4 mile climb up Stevens Canyon

the drop down to skid trail

starting the climb up to hwy 35 and Skyline Ridge Openspace on skid trail

Skyline Ridge single track heading back to the Grizzly flat trailhead parking

Last edited by Buzz Cut; 05-09-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice pics. Did your ride finish with a 1500 ft climb?

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker
    Nice pics. Did your ride finish with a 1500 ft climb?
    not exactly. the ride is essentially a triangle, first leg is a descent to the creek, second leg is a climb back up to the highway and the thid leg is rollers parallel to hwy 35 back to the parking area
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member

Nice pics and map

Very cool pics of some nice looking singletrack. I found this map of the area. Looks like there is lots of bike legal singletrack in the area?

http://www.openspace.org/preserves/m...onte_bello.pdf

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    Very cool pics of some nice looking singletrack. I found this map of the area. Looks like there is lots of bike legal singletrack in the area?

http://www.openspace.org/preserves/m...onte_bello.pdf
    not alot but enough to be fun

mtbr member
    I usually start from the end of the paved Alpine road to get to Monte Bello - White Oak - Canyon - Table Mountain - and back on the other side of Skyline via Peter's Creek - Ridge, and back to White Oak to Alpine road. Not too many people on this loop.

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks Curmy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yup, that's also one of my favorite rides. I can practically ride those trails blindfolded. I usually throw in the Long Ridge loop too (counterclockwise) for a longer ride. Or if I really feel like grinding, I throw in the Skyline Ridge area adjacent to Alpine Rd. I only ride up there on weekdays and some days won't see anyone for the entire ride.

Grizzly flats fire road is one of the best bombs around. If you're really feeling masochistic, try the grind up Indian Creek trail (fire road) to the top of Black Mtn, then down single track Old Ranch, Bella Vista to Canyon trail again.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I busted my femur on mothers day '92 in that flooded rocky bog flying down from Montbello to stevens canyon road.

Hey thanks for the memories

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Needless to say i rode something other than my favorite "gap" for awhile after mom and the kids showed up at Stanford ER.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Would this be OK for a beginner? I'm looking for a cool nature ride that's a step above the coyote/LG creek trails.

thx

bob

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by steelgtr
    Would this be OK for a beginner? I'm looking for a cool nature ride that's a step above the coyote/LG creek trails.

thx

bob
    the stuff on the ridge is more cardio than technical so I'd say yes

Members who have read this thread: 1