Roadie - Sierra Rd to Welch Creek- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Roadie - Sierra Rd to Welch Creek

Ok a little roadie ride today with Mark59, SMW and Bustamove. The good news is this ride is trail worthy in terms of steepness. 5600 feet in 45 miles I think.

The east bay hills are nice this time of year since there's none of that peninsula hills moisture. It's all in the open so we got a teensy weensy bit of that sun.

So Sierra road is the big hill from the Tour of CA. Average is 9%. Welch Creek is off Calaveras road and it is a brute. It makes Sierra look easy.

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

fc
    On our whole ride today, we saw 6 cars and about 30 cyclists. That's a good ratio.

Welch Creek is a beautiful dead end street. It's freshly paved and it's got a canyon stream on both sides, it seems. Awesome! The ride back was filled with attacks from the peloton.

fc
    IPA will save America

smw
    pedal pusher
    As bad as that ride hurt me today, I will return for more in a couple of weeks. Welch is pure pain, but so beautiful and the perfect surface. Thanks for the whoopin!
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

rj2
    mtbr member
    What's the dead guy going to wear when it gets cold?
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

another day at the office

excellent ride

I had fun today - mostly because I didn't crack climbing Welch Creek Road or on the return leg back when Francis turned on the afterburners.

Below is the ride profile for those of you interested in the amount of pain we endured today.
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by bustamove
    I had fun today - mostly because I didn't crack climbing Welch Creek Road or on the return leg back when Francis turned on the afterburners.

Below is the ride profile for those of you interested in the amount of pain we endured today.
    Great ride today! But I have a problem right now. I descend road like a little girl. 40 mph is spoooky!

fc
    IPA will save America

Let's ride
    Nice ride guys. Dang, that is some nice footies for only 45mi. Awesome. I climbed into my Eurovan about 8 times today for a total of 16ft.

mtbr member
    Welch Creek looks pretty sweet, I'll have to check it out sometime looks like single track for roadies. Yesterday put new rubber on my roadie, oiled the chain and was all set to climb up Hammy today when Coe whispered sweet nothings in my ear.

*** Lechon Hauler ***
    Hey Francis,

When you mentioned Welch Creek road, I was thinking of Weller rd. off of calaveras. Anyway, I checked out the map where Welch Creek is and I do remember that road too. Many many years ago, Paul and I climbed our MTB from Sunol park and somehow ended up descending onto Welch Creek road. I might check it out tomorrow since I've got one more day off from work.

The hill profile looks scary steeeeeeep!

Niel

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNielito
    Hey Francis,

When you mentioned Welch Creek road, I was thinking of Weller rd. off of calaveras. Anyway, I checked out the map where Welch Creek is and I do remember that road too. Many many years ago, Paul and I climbed our MTB from Sunol park and somehow ended up descending onto Welch Creek road. I might check it out tomorrow since I've got one more day off from work.

The hill profile looks scary steeeeeeep!

Niel
    Yup, it's right at the edge of Sunol. It's a public road. There's a few cattle guards on it.

Photos:
    Check out the view. And check out my bling $1200 bike. Best feature is the triple ring.
    Don't worry about the steepness. Traction is good .

fc
    Last edited by fc; 11-25-2007 at 10:59 PM.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Nice ride guys. Dang, that is some nice footies for only 45mi. Awesome. I climbed into my Eurovan about 8 times today for a total of 16ft.
    Nice huh. From the profile, it looks like all the climbing happened in the first 35 miles. At least we got a good warmup .

Welch is better than Bohlman/Onorbit since the vicious climb goes on for a full 4 miles. Bohlman really just climbs hard for 2. Welch has a lot of breaks and you can actually rest. Finally, the descent is actually enjoyable and not just a grab brake affair like the other steep hills out here.

You should have been there. That's all I gots to say about that.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    haha nice! I live right there and although I dont have a road bike I biked up sierra road with my 32 lb mtb with nevegals. I have no idea why I did it. I didnt go nearly as far as you but if you remember I went from the base on piedmont to a place where there is a bunch of trees. It cant be more than a mile or two. I can imagine being a pretty fun ride with a road bike and the descent would be crazy fast.

mtbr member

Where is Welch Creek Road?

Can someone give out directions?
    It is not coming up on the map.

Thanks,
    Kat

mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikermom
    Can someone give out directions?
    It is not coming up on the map.

Thanks,
    Kat