Rim Trail recommendations please!- Mtbr.com
    My gloves stink

Rim Trail recommendations please!

I recently rode the Rim trail with my 15-year-old son and 3 of his friends. We took the shuttle from Spooner Lake to the trailhead. They absolutely loved the trail between TRT trailhead and Tunnel Creek Rd. They had lots of fun with the drops, steps, jumps, sandpits, switchbacks and other obstacles. And yes, I saw to it that they had fun and rode responsibly at the same time.

But because their climbing ability is only fair, once we got to Tunnel Creek Rd, we switched over to the Flume Trail to get back to Spooner. I did this because I heard that the switchback section of TRT is a very difficult climb, and I just don't know anything about the other alternate routes (Red House Flume, Sunflower Hill, Outer Flume, etc.)

Well, it turns out that the fabulous, world-class views of the Flume trail aren't enough for these boys. They were actually kind of bored with it, being relatively lacking as it is in technical sections.

My question to anyone who might know: is there a way to cover the ground from Tunnel Creek Rd to Spooner lake that is more technically challenging than the Flume, but only mildly to moderately more challenging from a strength/endurance standpoint?

Thank you very much in advance.

mtbr member

The TRT route

The TRT has steep switch backs. You may walk a bike in some sections but the route back to spooner is great single track. If you take the RedHouse route its mostly cross country fire roads with one walk a bike up hill. I've done both and prefer the TRT...... my 2 cents... gonzo

My gloves stink

Thank you, Gonzo

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    The TRT has steep switch backs. You may walk a bike in some sections but the route back to spooner is great single track. If you take the RedHouse route its mostly cross country fire roads with one walk a bike up hill. I've done both and prefer the TRT...... my 2 cents... gonzo
    Hey Gonzo, you're the only guy to reply! I appreciate the feedback...I read somewhere that the TRT downhill to Spooner is a good one...if I can get the kids up it in the first place. Thanks for the info on Red House...I'll pass on that one.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    Hey Gonzo, you're the only guy to reply! I appreciate the feedback...I read somewhere that the TRT downhill to Spooner is a good one...if I can get the kids up it in the first place. Thanks for the info on Red House...I'll pass on that one.
    The TRT to Spooner from Hobarts Rd is highly off limits. I think Gonzo means the TRT off Marlette Pk towards Marlette Lake. Fun, fast, single that ends up about the top of Hobarts Rd climb. The TRT continues across the road and will eventually drop you off at Spooner Summit. Cross the highway, and you are at the trailhead for the TRT to Kingsbury. Not to be missed. Although it would be tempting to ride this "closed to bikes" section of the TRT to Spooner Summit, it would certainly jeopardize the parts that are now open.
    Last edited by Ebo; 07-18-2004 at 09:59 PM.

My gloves stink

Still a little confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    The TRT to Spooner from Hobarts Rd is highly off limits. I think Gonzo means the TRT off Marlette Pk towards Marlette Lake. Fun, fast, single that ends up about the top of Hobarts Rd climb. The TRT continues across the road and will eventually drop you off at Spooner Summit. Cross the highway, and you are at the trailhead for the TRT to Kingsbury. Not to be missed. Although it would be tempting to ride this "closed to bikes" section of the TRT to Spooner Summit, it would certainly jeopardize the parts that are now open.
    According to the map http://www.theflumetrail.com/ridingmap/ , the off limits part does not start at Hobarts Rd, but near the Snow Valley Peak spur. Regardless, you're recommending staying on TRT to Hobarts Rd and then taking Hobarts down toward Spooner?

mtbr dismember

Trt

I think he is saying to go up the TRT from Tunnel Creek Rd. to the Marlette overlook. That is "up" the switchbacks. So the kids have to push their bikes up a bit. It is called "mountain biking". The descent down the other side from Marlette overlook to Hobart Rd. is well worth the climb up. I have never been on that 2.6 mile stretch of the TRT from Hobart to Snow Valley Peak. However, I guarantee it's a lot more climbing than going up the switchbacks. You are right, according to the map it looks like it is ridable. However, just email the people at the Spooner bike shop and confirm it.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    According to the map http://www.theflumetrail.com/ridingmap/ , the off limits part does not start at Hobarts Rd, but near the Snow Valley Peak spur. Regardless, you're recommending staying on TRT to Hobarts Rd and then taking Hobarts down toward Spooner?

Yes. Hobarts Rd down to Marlette Lake. The climb from Tunnels Rd is certainly a tough one, but it is a beautiful section which seems to make it less painful. I've always enjoyed it, as it has some good technical spots to climb through the rock. The Marlette Overlook is a side trail at the top of the climb. The first 1/4 mile is mandatory hike a bike, since it is a fragile area and those who govern it have posted a sign to that effect. After the hike a bike, the trail continues to the overlook. Well worth it and great place to kick back. Probably about 1,500 ft above the Flume trail below. The single back down to Hobarts Rd is lots of fun, but seems to end way too fast. Your boys would probably like it more than the Flume trail, once they catch their breath. When you hit Hobarts Rd, you will see where the TRT continues. There is a large sign stating the closure to bikes. Somewhat confusing when looking at the map on Tahoerimtrail.org.

My gloves stink

Kewl...thanks

Next time, I'm dragging them up the switchbacks. They'll thank me.