Riding in Santa Cruz, travelling from the UK- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Riding in Santa Cruz, travelling from the UK

Hi there,
    I'm from the UK and going to be in Santa Cruz for three weeks next week. I've been riding and racing for 6 years at home, mainly enduro, And the mountain biking in SC is the main reason I'm going to be there. So it would be a dream to have a local show me around some of the trails that I've wanted to ride for years and have seen on PB and Youtube. If anyone would be up for showing me around then let me know and I would love to ride with you. I'm not taking a bike with me so would need to hire one.
    Also I know its very cheeky to ask but I'm struggling to find a place to camp that isn't booked up so if anyone has a garden or a bit of dirt that a fellow mountain biker could put a tent up in for a few days I would be happy to pay, no worries if you don't though.
    Cheers
    Charlie

mtbr member
    If you are looking to ride steep gnarly trails you can PM me.

Ariolimax columbianus
    breh, free camping downtown Santa Cruz just look out for rats and used needles...kidding, not kidding. call or stop by cycle works on mission street. good dudes, should have demo bikes, and find you a place to crash possibly.

mtbr member
    Hey Charlie - I ride there quite a bit during the week - feel free to reach out to me via PM if you need a guide and we may be able to sync up for a ride!

Cheers

Loren

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Haha yeah might avoid that camping spot! That's awesome I'll defiantly go there to hire a bike and it would be amazing if they had somewhere to crash!!
    Thanks for the advice. Cheers

mtbr member
    I would recommend renting a bike from Santa Cruz factory. But get on that as soon as possible, since they get booked fast.

As far as where to stay on a budget, you honestly do not have many good options. Maybe a decent option would be to try and rent some type of van/truck that you can sleep in, and go find some nice spots right on the coast up north a little ways.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I would recommend renting a bike from Santa Cruz factory. But get on that as soon as possible, since they get booked fast.
    Don't they restrict you to only riding wilder on their demo fleet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Don't they restrict you to only riding wilder on their demo fleet?
    If you ask for directions thatís where theyíll send you, but how would they know which trails you are riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Santa Cruz Ranch RV Park (maybe 10 minutes up the road from SC in Scotts Valley) has a nice little car camping area with hot showers. Are you here for 3 days or 3 weeks?
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Santa Cruz Ranch RV Park (maybe 10 minutes up the road from SC in Scotts Valley) has a nice little car camping area with hot showers. Are you here for 3 days or 3 weeks?
    That sounds great, I'll look into that! I'm there for three weeks.
    Cheers

Nobody
    Iím happy to ride with you during your stay, but I think RBoardman is probably going to be one of the best guides for local knowledge. We ride in the same woods, but he knows them much better. Might be cool to set up a small group ride one day.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Iím happy to ride with you during your stay, but I think RBoardman is probably going to be one of the best guides for local knowledge. We ride in the same woods, but he knows them much better. Might be cool to set up a small group ride one day.
    Iíve definitely done my fair share of laps down that hillside. Actually did my biggest ride (elevation wise) ever at SC this morning. The goal was 10k, but my body shut down before then.

Up In Smoke
    Thatís sick ^^^

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Iíve definitely done my fair share of laps down that hillside. Actually did my biggest ride (elevation wise) ever at SC this morning. The goal was 10k, but my body shut down before then.
    Nice work. For the record, I retract my previous suggestion for a group ride. On my biggest day, I once managed 5-6K at Demo and I never want to do that again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    That would be awesome to have a group ride!! Yeah you guys defiantly do a hell of a lot more climbing as a 30km ride would be a long day for us. If we arrange a day then I'll book a hire or demo bike for then pretty much any day works for me as I'm on holiday.

mtbr member
    Nice work. For the record, I retract my previous suggestion for a group ride. On my biggest day, I once managed 5-6K at Demo and I never want to do that again.
    The nice thing about SC compared to most places, is itís very easy to pull out when you are done and not effect everyone else since we will usually loop back to the cars every 30-60 minutes.

Ariolimax columbianus
    there's a race in wilder ranch next weekend, if you volunteer I believe you can camp at the event, search "old cabin classic". you might be able to meet some folks who can help figure out how to fulfill your vacation plans/needs.

also, if you bought a cheap bike you could bike camp at the 2 state parks closest to town for $5 (or $10) a night. new brighton state beach and I'm pretty sure Henry Cowell state park have hike/bike in campsites.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    there's a race in wilder ranch next weekend, if you volunteer I believe you can camp at the event, search "old cabin classic". you might be able to meet some folks who can help figure out how to fulfill your vacation plans/needs.

also, if you bought a cheap bike you could bike camp at the 2 state parks closest to town for $5 (or $10) a night. new brighton state beach and I'm pretty sure Henry Cowell state park have hike/bike in campsites.
    I've just looked at the website and sadly I wont get to Santa Cruz until that evening when the race will be over. The bike camping sounds amazing though, I'm pretty sure I'll end up doing that unless I find a place to crash so thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

Ariolimax columbianus
    well fugggit....I guess if you act like a full on bike tourer just use https://www.warmshowers.org or buy a cheap moto and hit up https://advrider.com/f/threads/tent-...ap-v2.1215147/

just some thoughts.

Nobody
    Could be an excellent camping solution, at least for part of your stay.

I think the campgrounds open May 15th, but you need to call about reservations.

https://www.santacruz.org/listings/m...beach-uplands/

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    3 weeks is a long time, it may be worth it to bring your Mtb. Things get spendy here and renting/demoíing bikes will add up. If you are considering south county and riding Nisene Marks state park, on the ocean side of the mountains below Soquel Ďdemoí forest look at Sunset State beach and there is a koa private campground which during the week should be fairly open. Itís pretty quiet down here and you generally have to drive to get around but it is a nice part of Santa Cruz with out some of the nasty bits you may see downtown.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for all the help! That seems like loads of options Iíve got! Might be worth me buying a super cheap bike for my stay. Sadly I canít bring my mtb out with me so will have to hire anyway really looking forward to riding in SC and hopefully Iíll get to meet some of you locals!!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trespinero View Post
    3 weeks is a long time, it may be worth it to bring your Mtb. Things get spendy here and renting/demoíing bikes will add up. If you are considering south county and riding Nisene Marks state park, on the ocean side of the mountains below Soquel Ďdemoí forest look at Sunset State beach and there is a koa private campground which during the week should be fairly open. Itís pretty quiet down here and you generally have to drive to get around but it is a nice part of Santa Cruz with out some of the nasty bits you may see downtown.
    Agree. This is a tough one.
    IPA will save America

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by stenty View Post
    Thanks for all the help! That seems like loads of options Iíve got! Might be worth me buying a super cheap bike for my stay. Sadly I canít bring my mtb out with me so will have to hire anyway really looking forward to riding in SC and hopefully Iíll get to meet some of you locals!!
    Just curious why you can't bring your bike? I brought my fatbike with me to England every time I traveled there for work. My previous employer was based out of Weymouth and I would visit for at least a month at a time. You can buy a nice travel case for the price of 2-3 days rental of a proper full suspension bike over here.

Typically, international flight will not count this type of luggage against your two bags, as it is sporting equipment. I always flew British Airways or Virgin Atlantic and never paid to check my bike.

Think about it...

Hella Olde
    Just curious why you can't bring your bike? I brought my fatbike with me to England every time I traveled there for work. My previous employer was based out of Weymouth and I would visit for at least a month at a time. You can buy a nice travel case for the price of 2-3 days rental of a proper full suspension bike over here.

Typically, international flight will not count this type of luggage against your two bags, as it is sporting equipment. I always flew British Airways or Virgin Atlantic and never paid to check my bike.

Think about it...

Plus, you probably have a relationship with your own bike (well, I do anyway). The more adventures you do together, the closer your get and you can share memories in your old age. It builds a bond and trust that you can't rent and don't underestimate the jealousy your own bike might feel upon your return. She might even buck you off a couple times....

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I wasnít able to bring my bike because I am in LA for a few days in a hostel and also booked my flights months ago and Iím walking for some of my time in SC so to have a 2k bike with me all the time would be a real inconvenience as I wouldnít be able to leave it anywhere. But next time I will try my best haha.
    Cheers