Riding with a mask on- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding with a mask on

Who is riding with a mask on? Is it feasible on ups and downs if you are going say 80% your norm for the cardio portion of why we all like riding?

I live in San Mateo County (Belmont) and it has had an order that one can't travel over five miles for outdoor recreation. That is itself has been a PITA from a mtb perspective but ok, I live within five miles from WaterDog Park. In normal times I go there a lot, but since I'm non-essential and therefore not working I've been going there A LOT. It's a large part of what's been keeping me sane and not entering a Cheetos eating contest. This morning there is a new city order for their Open Space parks that masks have to be worn 100% of time while in them.

https://www.belmont.gov/home/showdocument?id=19472

So, how's mask wearing going for anything other that a mellow cruise on flats? Any particular type of mask?

Up In Smoke
    Got to be brutal. I only started wearing one this week at work. Its pretty stuffy with this thing on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Give me a break. Masks while exercising now? Would love to know the probability of transmitting the rona while on a bike ride in the woods by yourself. It isn't zero, but something tells me it is orders of magnitude less likely than going to the store, etc. I truly believe that with shelter-in-place we have reduced transmission opportunities by 99%, and squeezing out this last percentage point is really crushing morale and I just don't think worth it.

EAT MORE GRIME
    make a homemade mask/balaclava that is tighter above nose but looser and flowy below that, then tucks closer to clavicle and you shouldn't have an issue going anaerobic and it still keeps your exhaust cloud close to you which is what masks in public are all about

but yeah ridiculous if you are solo and avoiding people...
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's akin to high altitude training since the masks deprive the user of the usual levels of oxygen. Oxygen deprivation masks were all the rage with certain gym goers. At most I hold my breath when passing other riders on trails....a mask seems overkill. If the trails are busy enough to require a mask, then you need to find other trails.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    It's akin to high altitude training since the masks deprive the user of the usual levels of oxygen. Oxygen deprivation masks were all the rage with certain gym goers. At most I hold my breath when passing other riders on trails....a mask seems overkill. If the trails are busy enough to require a mask, then you need to find other trails.
    this ^^

even all my top secret connectors, junk trails, hidden small stuff... that I've never seen anyone on in years...full of foot traffic now....

I've become more road on MTB to find some far off nugget, get some dirt in, road to next nugget...just to avoid people on trails
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You could always wear a ski buff or bandana around your neck, then pull it up when you see The Man.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    I wear a mask in a public place like a store or pharmacy, but if I'm riding by myself out in a n open space, I don't wear one, although I carry one.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I tried two weekends ago and my heart rate was stuck in zone 4.2 - 5.0 on a flat bike path at the 15MPH speed limit. Did about 5 miles of that suffering before ditching the mask. This was just a cloth over the face, but I found that the headwind would push the cloth up against the face while breathing in.

mtbr member
    in SF I'm not required to wear one exercising but I've been wearing my snowboard buff thing in places with more people. once I get out into the trails though I'll slip it down to my chin.

mtbr member
    During some bad forest fire smoke days in the last few years, I rode with an N95 mask. It was VERY tough and uncomfortable on the uphill. No problem if riding mellow on flat terrain.

I suppose you could keep the mask attached, but down or to the side of your mouth, then put in on properly for a few seconds when you encounter others.

Or go ride at Coe with no mask- you likely won't encounter other users.

Hella Olde
    Never seen it done.

mtbr member
    I picked up some of these things:

https://safishing.com/shop/buy-1-get...#configuration

It gets pretty stuffy to wear when working/breathing hard. I just wear it around my neck on climbs, and when I encounter other trails users, I pull it up briefly over my mouth and nose. Once clear, pull it back down. Easy to do while still moving.

On descents, I have it cover the mouth/nose the whole time and it's not too bothersome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    My buddy who does a lot of jogging in a city so polluted you have to wear a mask says the dual valve masks aren't bad at all for breathability. Here's the ones he likes:

https://respro.com/store/product/techno-mask
    https://www.vogmask.com/products/black-vmc2v

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Haven't passed out #yet. #lightheaded #trainingmask

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Riding, breathing hard, face mask and glasses. Now there's a blurry visioned idea.

I also ride mostly away from people and I just put the mask on when I pass people, especially those in police cars.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brucero View Post
    My buddy who does a lot of jogging in a city so polluted you have to wear a mask says the dual valve masks aren't bad at all for breathability. Here's the ones he likes:

https://respro.com/store/product/techno-mask
    https://www.vogmask.com/products/black-vmc2v
    In Alameda county, masks with valves are disallowed.

When hiking or biking, a mask is voluntary, but you are required to increase your distance and always carry a mask with you at the ready, in case you cross paths with someone. The mask you carry should also be conspicuous, which I can only guess is for enforcement.

It's getting absurd. The fable about masks not protecting the wearer has now transformed into a prohibition of wearing the good ones, which usually have valves. I had a bike commuting mask ordered, but now they are disallowed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We're allowed to use a bandana. I keep it below my nose and it falls lower. If I encounter a humanoid I give it token pull up. This is road riding so I poach a short trail as I adhere to I higher law... The law of Physics you don't break those and just get a ticket. Otherwise I give a wrong lane wide berth.

Today it was noticeably warm around my neck, probably mid 80's

Just check your bandanna color with the neighborhood you're riding in.

J
    Mountain bikers that don't road ride have no legs
    Road bikers that don't mountain bike have no soul.

J

mtbr member
    One of the earlier posts reminded me that I had a Buff in my camping gear. Tried it out today - not great but doable. No way Iíd want to climb with it on all the time but like a lot of posts Iíd pull it up as soon as Iíd see someone I was going to pass. The stretchiness of it made that part pretty easy to put and stay in place. On the tighter downs with little line-of-sight Iíd keep it up. Wasnít terribly warm today but could see some swamp neck if temps rose.

Saw about 6 bikes. 4 doing about the same, 2 w/o. A little over half the hikers had masks and half of those only were putting mask/bandana/etc when someone (me) was near.

Feel like I should rob someone on a trail just to have a picture taken by a bystander so local news could call me The Bike Bandito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up In Smoke
    We're now required to wear a fake mask when out in public in MoCo, does that include cycling?

These fake masks are giving people a major false sense of security.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Nope. No mask.

I haven't seen a single other rider out either.

We don't have a single case in the entire county, so businesses are reopening. The city and county are telling businesses to open if they want, no enforcement action will be taken if they do. Several stayed open (hair salon, barber, and a bar) anyway despite the statewide order. No one in local government cared.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

Up In Smoke
    ^^Wow, seems like good news.

They just extended our shelter in place order and this time they didn't even bother including the end date.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hey guys! Iím deciding to venture out on the MTB for the first time since SIP.

I bought a neck gaiter that I can stop and pull up when I see people.

Otherwise I plan to ride with no mask. At the moment I am starting at 0 so no way I can ride with a mask starving me of much needed air. Likely lots of hike a bike for a while until I rebuild.

Any comment on trail etiquette? What have you all seen? What do you prefer from others you encounter on the trail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAT MORE GRIME
    I use a black lycra-style mask hooked over the ears, and I leave it on my chin until coming near anyone...so then up over nose and keep riding

as soon as out of range it slides back down

so, it is always ready but reality is... I use it about 5 mins total on a 4 hour hammerfest

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    I use a black lycra-style mask hooked over the ears, and I leave it on my chin until coming near anyone...so then up over nose and keep riding

as soon as out of range it slides back down

so, it is always ready but reality is... I use it about 5 mins total on a 4 hour hammerfest
    Same for me, I have buff that's supposed to be for fly fishing, so fairly light weight. When I see people I slide it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I've been riding with a mask due to crowding at my local spot. I see multiple people each time I'm out (sometimes in unexpected locations) even at 6:30 AM with no cars in the lot.

The good: Potentially protecting other trail users from my COVID breath; I haven't eaten a bug in a while; don't have to put sunscreen on my face

The bad: Fogged glasses on climbs; breathing hot air is mentally tougher; annoying if you need to spit or take a drink

I default to pulling the mask down on wide open trails, where I can see people coming, or putting it on when the trail is narrow or I don't have sight lines.
    Last edited by notsendy; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added another pro

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Have a mask around your neck, pull it up when on expected crowded singletrack. Otherwise it is off. I tried it on for a short climb and literally feels like I am negatively sucking the entire mask inward due to the heavy breathing. Just before the crest of the hill I did something that normally never happens, I stopped to rip the mask off so that I can breathe. This was just at Fremont Older which is easy climbing compared to other places..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
    I live in San Mateo County (Belmont) and it has had an order that one can't travel over five miles for outdoor recreation.
    Obviously verify for yourself, but I don't think that condition is still in effect.

I think this is the latest Shelter in Place orders from SM County Health Dept:

https://www.smchealth.org/sites/main...pdf?1591297523

From here:

https://www.smchealth.org/health-off...and-statements

I don't see anything noting allowed radius from home and the word "mile" doesn't appear anywhere in the document at all.

I haven't been wearing a mask at all while riding, either on road or on dirt. Not entirely comfortable about it, especially since it's pretty common to see people wearing masks while riding, albeit generally not riding hard enough that cardio performance is an apparent concern for them.

I've tried to be conscientious in other ways, though. I avoid going to places that are heavily-trafficked and have narrow trails. Went to JNT a couple months ago and encountered way too many hikers on trail sections not even 6 feet wide, and felt really bad for passing as closely as I was, huffing and puffing, as I was.

So I've been riding where it's more wide-open and it's not a big sacrificed for me since I'm a newb to MTB and trying to regain my cardio conditioning in general. Feel like it's totally fine, pragmatically, to not wear a mask and just give wide berth to people I pass.

People hiking/walking seem to be very conscientious as a whole. Lots of mask wear and will very often totally yield path to a cyclist. I always try to thank them as graciously and un-plosively as I can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by bk_mtb View Post
    Hey guys! Iím deciding to venture out on the MTB for the first time since SIP.

I bought a neck gaiter that I can stop and pull up when I see people.

Otherwise I plan to ride with no mask. At the moment I am starting at 0 so no way I can ride with a mask starving me of much needed air. Likely lots of hike a bike for a while until I rebuild.

Any comment on trail etiquette? What have you all seen? What do you prefer from others you encounter on the trail?
    I think if you can make yourself wear a gaiter and pull it up when passing, then that's basically peak consideration of others.

If you're riding in places where you'll be passing especially hikers on singletrack, then that would probably be for the best. As I said, I avoid such trails right now and, my anecdotal experience has been that nobody apparently cares if the trails are wide and you make obvious effort to pass with as much distance as can be managed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by bk_mtb View Post
    I guess it depends on where you ride. I've only been in the Santa Cruz area post-C19 and I can't remember having seen anybody riding with a mask on.

just another bleepin SSer
    use a bandana in bandit mode for a mask when riding. Take a 22" square bandana, fold in half, roll a few times and then place rolled edge on nose (so flopping triangle part hangs over mouth) and tie behind head. There is air seepage from below, but if you cough, spit, expel water from your mouth, etc., it will get caught in the bandana material.

For kayaking (where I would more likely get wet, and the water would cause problems with a cotton bandana) I wear a buff. Pulled down so just around neck when not around people, but easy with one hand to pull up over nose and mouth when needed. Should work fine biking also.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I donít wear a mask or even have one with me. I just hold my breath until Iím past the hikers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
    I donít wear a mask or even have one with me. I just hold my breath until Iím past the hikers.
    Same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I don't ride with a mask, though I certainly carry one in case of crowds or other close contact.

The funniest thing I see on my rides are people on foot that momentarily turn their heads away as I pass by. . . that won't do them any good.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Anyone tried Rain-X on glasses to prevent fogging?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Give me a break. Masks while exercising now? Would love to know the probability of transmitting the rona while on a bike ride in the woods by yourself. It isn't zero, but something tells me it is orders of magnitude less likely than going to the store, etc. I truly believe that with shelter-in-place we have reduced transmission opportunities by 99%, and squeezing out this last percentage point is really crushing morale and I just don't think worth it.
    this

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by notsendy View Post
    Anyone tried Rain-X on glasses to prevent fogging?
    There ain't no way. I know some tricks to minimize fogging, but it's ****ing impossible to eliminate with glasses. Going to directed -air masks eliminates the purpose of the mask and tight fitting masks that don't leak won't pass anywhere near enough air.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    After reading this article some time ago, I became a lot less fussed over masks on trails.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them

Reading that makes me think there is not much point in a mask during a brief pass. Of course sneezes are another thing.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I lower my head and turn it away from the person I'm passing. That's it.

mtbr member
    I carry a bandana mask with me on all rides but when I ride I rarely wear it, I just hold my breath/look away when passing folks.

Most importantly, w/o a mask, DON'T TALK TO EVERYONE when you are close. That has been frustrating: I wave, then other dude "Hey! Have a good one!" as we pass. I try to only speak to approaching peeps 15-30 feet away or AFTER I pass them.

I'm usually "ready for anything" with spares, water, snacks in my pack for most all rides, so carrying a mask is part of the new normal. What if I'm in Fairfax and need to stop for food and beer??? I'm ready!